What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone play Fantasy Hockey? Advice (Drafted) (1 Viewer)

Gottabesweet

Footballguy
I joined a new league 10 team CBS - points league.  Weekly lineup (set once)

It's a 2 player keeper,  I pick 6/10

Start any 6 forwards (positions don't matter) and 4 D and 2 goalie, with a deep bench.

Now me and the other new owner each get to pick 2 free agents non keepers.

Goals 3, assists 2, saves 0.2,  PPG, 1, Wins 5, plus/minus 1,  SHG 2,  GA -1,  Defenseman Goals +2,  Shutouts 3,  D assists 1

It looks like goalie is weighed high as 8 teams kept goalies, and D can score high as a goal is 5 for them and 3 for assists. 

How high does this elevate D?

Please help me rank the following who I should target for my two keepers.  (maybe list your top 4-8? guys

Goalies -  Rinne, Rask, Dubnyk, Crawford, Anderson, Gibson

Forwards - McDavid, Crosby, Gaudreau, Pavelski, Stamkos, Kuznetsov, Perry, Kopitar, Seguin

D-man - Subban, Burns, Klingberg, Ekblad, Keith, Ekman-Larsson, Byfuglien, Doughty, Letang, Gostisbehere

Do I try and keep a goalie and McDavid.  I'm confident the other guy wants Crosby.  and then draft D my first two picks?

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are 8 goalies kept already in a 10 team league, I would not select a goalie for a while.  Even if you wait til round 5, likely only the other new comer will have selected one.

Too many good players out there in the first few rounds to pass up for the 9th or 10th best goalie.

you have to start 2 goalies and it's not a particularly deep position.

based on stats, I see Wins, Saves, and Shutouts counted for goalies with a penalty for goals against.

I'd probably go for Crawford or Rinne. Rask is good but the Bruins won't get him that many wins.

McDavid would probably be my first choice here as you can keep him for the next 10+ years and have the best player in the league within a couple years probably.

Given the boost for D-men scoring, I think Subban or Burns would make a great 2nd choice.

Keepers by team:

Tarasenko, Panarin

Ovechkin, Bishop

Price, Carlson

Tavares, Jake Allen

Holtby, Jones

Benn, Quick

Kane, Lundqvist

Elliott, Karlsson

So 8 goalies, 6 forwards, 2 D  kept.

based on stats, I see Wins, Saves, and Shutouts counted for goalies with a penalty for goals against.

I'd probably go for Crawford or Rinne. Rask is good but the Bruins won't get him that many wins.

McDavid would probably be my first choice here as you can keep him for the next 10+ years and have the best player in the league within a couple years probably.

Given the boost for D-men scoring, I think Subban or Burns would make a great 2nd choice.
I was leaning McDavid with the 1st pick for keepers,  He'll take Crosby and then I'll go Subban or Rinne?

Missed the start 2 goalies.... forget what I said above.  yikes

McDavid, Rinne would be a nice start then hope Subban is there at 6 overall? (essentially 26th overall)

Or McDavid and Subban and then hope Rinne or Crawford are there 6th.

McDavid, Rinne would be a nice start then hope Subban is there at 6 overall? (essentially 26th overall)

Or McDavid and Subban and then hope Rinne or Crawford are there 6th.
I think if 8 teams already kept a goalie you are probably better off taking a dman and then adding goalies in the draft.

A guy like Burns in this settings with a projection of 21G, 43A, 9 PPG = 222 points,  Subban is about 200 (less goals)  However Burns is older.

Gaudreau 215, Pavelski 213, Stamkos 208, Kuznetsov 203 so I'm thinking D is the way to go.  I never really liked Brett Burns I think SJ takes a giant step back. 

Bump any other hockey players?

1.1 - McDavid (me)

1.2  Crosby (him)

2.1  I'm on the clock.  Leaning Burns as for the power play points /and goals.  Should his age worry me in a keeper? 31 year old D-man. 

Probably too late but there's a school of thought that thinks Subban gets turned loose in Nashville. That plus the age gap and the fact that Burns' more physical style may not age as well would lean me towards PK, though there's a good chance Burns still outscores him this year.

I'll post for some opinion on my local league, see if anyone sees anything I don't.

14 Teams. We keep 6. 

Start

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 1G

Bench has to be 2C, 2W, 2D, 1G. Yes I know it's dumb. Tends to devalue centres and push up wings and D.

Scoring is 3 for goal (4 for dmen). 2 pts for assist (3 for dmen), 2pts PPG, .25 PIM, .25 +/-, .1 SOG bonuses for hat trick and GWG. Goalie scoring doesn't matter because I have Price.

Right now I'm planning on keeping:

G Price

D Carlson

D Giordano

W Pacioretty

W Wheeler

For the last spot, my best options for this year are W Nash and W Neal. I have other younger options who so far haven't been as strong is this format (W Nyquist, W Strome, C Larkin, C O'Reilly). By any projection or any past year, Neal puts up more points than the rest and does it at a more valuable position, so I'm probably just overthinking it, any reason not to keep him over the others? The league being so goal/shot focused likely eliminates Nyquist and O Reilly right away. Strome likely too far off to be a keeper.

Larkin maybe I throw back just because he's a centre and just on the border of the top 28 that are started in this league. Neal was the #15 winger and 60 start. I think I've talked myself through this now, but any thoughts?

I'd go Subban over Burns
I agree over the long haul.  The only thing holding me back is goals are 5 for D man and assists are 3.  - So while Subban and Burns if they have similar points this year let's say 60, but Burns has maybe 15 more goals that's an extra 30 points (figure 35-40 more points with the PP)

I agree over the long haul.  The only thing holding me back is goals are 5 for D man and assists are 3.  - So while Subban and Burns if they have similar points this year let's say 60, but Burns has maybe 15 more goals that's an extra 30 points (figure 35-40 more points with the PP)
Burns probably won't score 15 more goals than Subban again. Burns is more likely to regress this year while Subban's numbers should improve from last season.

Subban has averaged .15 goals per game over the last 4 seasons. That projects to 12.5 goals in an 82-game season.

Burns has averaged .29 goals per game over the last 4 seasons. That projects to 23.4 goals in an 82-game season.

Meanwhile, Subban averages .58 assists/game in same time period, which projects to 48 per 82-game season.

Burns averages .49 assists/game, which projects to 40 per 82-game season.

Based on those numbers, Burns is the better choice but he's been helped by playing on a better team and spending quite a bit of time at forward. He's also at an age when players start to decline while Subban is entering his prime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Burns probably won't score 15 more goals than Subban again. Burns is more likely to regress this year while Subban's numbers should improve from last season.

Subban has averaged .15 goals per game over the last 4 seasons. That projects to 12.5 goals in an 82-game season.

Burns has averaged .29 goals per game over the last 4 seasons. That projects to 23.4 goals in an 82-game season.

Meanwhile, Subban averages .58 assists/game in same time period, which projects to 48 per 82-game season.

Burns averages .49 assists/game, which projects to 40 per 82-game season.

Based on those numbers, Burns is the better choice but he's been helped by playing on a better team and spending quite a bit of time at forward. He's also at an age when players start to decline while Subban is entering his prime.
Also with the 6th pick in round three and it being only 10 teams, I feel as if I could punt forwards?  6 forwards needed any positions.  I'll have McDavid.  With the D scoring, I feel as if I should fill D first and make sure I have 4 rock solid one's with those bonuses.

Subban as the keeper.

Then end up with either Burns, Klingberg, Letang, Josi, Ekman Larssson, Eklblad or Doughty at 26 overall.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm just trying to figure out a plan.  I have something similar to the draft dominator, however it's not incorporating the bonus for D-man.

@Aaron Rudnicki 

We drafted tonight, any advice on any sleepers potential in free agency and who to drop?  10 team points league H2H - goalies and D weighted heavy.  Start 6 forwards, 4 D and 2 G and 6 bench

Ended up with this mess:

McDavid (Keeper) - Pacioretty - Eichel - Couture- Larkin - Barkov  -   (Bench Monahan, Fabbri, Reinhart)

Subban (Keeper), Ekman Larsson, Eklbad, Barrie - (Bench- S. Jones, Adam Larsson)

Rinne, Varlamov and Craig Anderson.

Goalies flew and I got sniped a few times.  Thoughts on improvements and if you like anyone potential in free agency. (Vermette, Zibanejad, Kunitz, Martinez, Leddy, F. Anderson, Pavelec, Hammond) or any potential sleeper breakout.

Users who are viewing this thread