What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (8 Viewers)

While we still have Moore on topic, I have to give up either Julio Jones or Moore from my roster (arcane rule, but 10 team standard scoring, start 3 WR league - I also own M.Thomas and D.Hopkins).  Question is really who is more valuable going forward. I'll be glad, I think, for Julio this year and probably next, but may want Moore for the next 10.

I think the question is broader, figuring out how to quantify the futures of young upstarts WRs with high-ceiling futures compared with 30 year old superstars.

While we still have Moore on topic, I have to give up either Julio Jones or Moore from my roster (arcane rule, but 10 team standard scoring, start 3 WR league - I also own M.Thomas and D.Hopkins).  Question is really who is more valuable going forward. I'll be glad, I think, for Julio this year and probably next, but may want Moore for the next 10.

I think the question is broader, figuring out how to quantify the futures of young upstarts WRs with high-ceiling futures compared with 30 year old superstars.
I'd still take Julio over Moore by a wide margin. If Julio were 34 or something, maybe I'd feel differently, or if Moore had at least a high-end WR2 season to his name. But I wouldn't take a very good 22 year old prospect over a 30 year old stud. 

I sometimes feel as though owners make a mistake in planning too far in the future with their teams. DeAndre Hopkins and Odell Beckham are the only guys I have in my main dynasty league that have been on my team for at least 5 years. Too much can change to ever look beyond 3-4 years in my opinion. 

With all due respect, it is absolutely false that "the Chargers are likely to throw a lot more than they did last season." 'Likely' being the word that makes it false.

If you disagree, please post some actual reasons other than "as they have in the past" when the past doesn't reflect their actual coaching and roster makeup for 2019.
Joe needs to invest in a Remind-Me bot. It would be interesting to look back on this. With the benefit of hindsight we’ll be able to see if your prediction about my prediction was absolutely false or not. In the meantime, it feels like an arduous conversation that I’d rather avoid. We’ll see (if one of us remembers).

Edit: All 5 projections I’ve found have Rivers’ attempts increasing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such an awesome thread.  You folks rule.

Much appreciation for sharing.

Offered Arob and Big Ben for Moore to a savvy owner who i thought could use a short term QB upgrade.  He seems to have disagreed and rejected with no counter.  Not sure how i'll proceed but clearly i need to add quite a lot more if i want him.  

I like Moore a lot, but I say Julio.

Earlier this offseason I ran some numbers to try to compare the remaining career VBD of young promising WRs vs. superstar vets - the results are here and they also favor Julio.

Also, if this rule limiting your ability to keep WRs arises regularly then that pushes further in the direction of keeping Julio over Moore. The more restrictive that your league is at letting you keep players, the more that increases the value of win-now production over future potential.

Rookie ADP with my thoughts on some good values and players I'd avoid.

1 - WR N'Keal Harry

2 - RB Josh Jacobs

3 - RB Miles Sanders

4 - RB David Montgomery - Instant impact potential, but questionable staying power.

5 - WR AJ Brown

6 - WR DK Metcalf - Too much emphasis on physical traits. As of right now he's an underachiever.

7 - TE TJ Hockenson

8 - WR Parris Campbell - I sort of get it because he's fast and his QB is great. I don't think he's hopeless, but this is too high for me.

9 - WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside - Makes sense in terms of situation and NFL draft position, but I'm way down on his game.

10 - WR Deebo Samuel - A top 5 player on my board. He does a lot of things well and could be an impact rookie on a team with suspect WRs.

11 - TE Noah Fant

12 - QB Kyler Murray

13 - WR Hakeem Butler - Overrated. Tall, but not that bulky to be a possession guy and not a precise route runner or technician. Dissed by the NFL in the draft.

14 - WR Marquise Brown - The only WR chosen in the first round and he's available late. Suspect offense, but he's fast with DeSean Jackson potential.

15 - WR Andy Isabella

16 - WR Mecole Hardman

17 - RB Darrell Henderson - I'm not 100% sold, but this is low for a guy with his draft slot and track record of big plays. I guess it's the depth chart logjam scaring people.

18 - RB Damien Harris - I like him more than I probably should. This is a nice price for a guy with a decent, albeit not great three down skill set.

19 - RB Justice Hill - Unspectacular prospect being overdrafted for short-term opportunity, which is a species of player I usually avoid.

20 - TE Irv Smith

21 - QB Dwayne Haskins

22 - RB Devin Singletary - As with Henderson, I'm not sold, but you're getting a day two back behind an aging starter in the late 2nd. It's low risk.

23 - WR Kelvin Harmon - As with Butler, his pre-draft hype has skewed perception of a guy the NFL obviously doesn't love.

24 - WR Miles Boykin

25 - WR Diontae Johnson - The film is just "meh" for me. At this price though, I like the upside of a day two WR chosen by Pitt. How long can Ben last?

I'm stopping there, but I really like the late TE value and not much else beyond this point. Warring, Knox, and Sternberger are all well worth a round three punt. Oliver has a pulse as well. I really didn't care for the day three prospects this year and don't have any favorites there.

There's an argument that Kyler is being underdrafted.

It's kind of a dire year, but my rough draft blueprint is to target Jacobs/Sanders/AJBrown/Deebo/Harry in the top 5 and then look to Deebo and MBrown in the late 1st. In the second round I'm intrigued by Isabella, Harris, Henderson, Singletary, and Johnson. I think Mattison, while not a great talent, is draftable over some of these guys.

Thoughts on Cam Newton? Do we expect him to age less gracefully than QBs who don’t take those extra hits? Or is he enough of a physical freak to keep taking them into his 30s? 

17 - RB Darrell Henderson - I'm not 100% sold, but this is low for a guy with his draft slot and track record of big plays. I guess it's the depth chart logjam scaring...
I think Henderson landed in a goldmine of a situation, outside of Gurley. Wide open, one-cut offense, light boxes, screens galore. It’s easy to see him doing damage in chunks. He could be a league winner, if anything happens to Gurley. 

Compare that to Montgomery’s situation: Clear path to boring, early down work, likely low end RB2 numbers. (And I could be wrong, of course.) 

Henderson is hard for me to evaluate, in part because so many of his big plays came from wide open holes against light fronts. But it’s easy to see him getting similar looks in LAR, and easy to see him doing more with those looks than CJ Anderson, who had some monster games down the stretch.

All that to say that I’m really coming around on Henderson and - for most of my  rosters, at least - I prefer him to Montgomery. Give me the upside over the immediate baseline production.

This might be the last year that people value Julio > DJ Moore in dynasty.  I'd take DJ Moore already and stay ahead of that curve, since Julio has nowhere to go but down, and I feel DJ has nowhere to go but up. 

At minimum I see DJ Moore staying the same value.  Roughly WR10-15 if he has an average season but probably not vaulting up to the top tier of WR's.  That's his floor.  And even if he does that, someone will think he still belongs in top tier and you could sell for a kings ransom.  The arrow has nowhere to point but up (barring injury) so I'll take the asset that will either net me the same value, or higher value, rather than Julio who will decline in value for the rest of his career.  

Instant impact is alluring and with Montgomery you're getting a guy who you can plug into your starting lineup from day one and maybe even get a top 15 RB season out of next year. That's a big part of his appeal. Teams at the top of the draft usually need a lot of help and of course they're going to be more interested in the guy who can play right away vs. people like Henderson, Harris, and Singletary who have a murkier path to relevance. If you flipped the teams around, they might be taking Harris or Henderson at #3-5 instead of Montgomery.

As much as I argue talent > situation in dynasty, you have to hedge a little bit. I've had players like Bernard Pierce and Christine Michael who were drafted into a logjam and never really got a great extended opportunity to be the guy. With someone like Harris or Mattison, he may be stuck in a committee indefinitely, only to be pipped by his team drafting a Barkley/Zeke type high in the future.

Their ADP is pretty modest though, and I think a 2nd round rookie price tag is good value for people like Harris and Henderson if you can be patient. They have the potential to be better than Montgomery in the long run and you don't need to spend a premium pick to acquire them. I can see why people like Montgomery and he really does have a shot at FF ROY, but there are enough red flags to make me gun shy at his lofty ADP. I think he's better than Montee Ball and Bishop Sankey, but those guys are a cautionary tale of what can happen if a guy lands in a great spot, but just doesn't have the goods to capitalize.

Not sure I disagree. I think I’m just more bearish on Montgomery. I’ve seen Kareem Hunt comparisons, but what is Hunt without the burst? I just have a hard time seeing him do much more than Howard did, with a few more targets.

I want to like Montgomery, as my initial impressions were positive, a couple years back. The draft capital is there, and I try not to put too much stock in my own eyes, so perhaps I’m overthinking this. I’m not in a position to draft him, across my leagues, but if I was and was set on RB, I’d trade back and target Henderson. At the very least, I’m confident saying that I’m much higher on Henderson at his ADP than Montgomery at his. I think we agree there, based on your rankings.

Thoughts on Cam Newton? Do we expect him to age less gracefully than QBs who don’t take those extra hits? Or is he enough of a physical freak to keep taking them into his 30s? 
My view is it won't be 2019 for his full recovery.  Remember how long it took A Luck to recover from his should issue.  There is a correlation here that I will not ignore.  There were some rumors early off season (Feb?) that they could not definitively declare they fixed the issue.  They could not determine what the actual problem was but they did surgery anyway.  How can you plan a career with that hanging over your physical ability?  

So, Cam is due for a new contract in 2021 and I don't think we see his "new level of play" until 2020.  Contract year production or resigned to a backup role.  

Yea, I have Montgomery on the fringes of the top 10 and at that point it equates to a "do not draft" rating since he's going to be a top 5-6 pick in every league.

Hunt wasn't fast on paper, but IIRC had a fast 100m time in high school (sub 11s). I wasn't even high on Hunt by the time he got drafted, but I think I did note that his game speed was better than his 40 time showed. There's nothing like that going on with Montgomery. He'll get run down constantly in the NFL, so every yard will be a battle.

Joe needs to invest in a Remind-Me bot. It would be interesting to look back on this. With the benefit of hindsight we’ll be able to see if your prediction about my prediction was absolutely false or not. In the meantime, it feels like an arduous conversation that I’d rather avoid. We’ll see (if one of us remembers).
Not trying to have an arduous conversation. Sorry about that.

This started by you saying you like Mike Williams. I like him too, and I own him in 1 of my 2 dynasty leagues.

But I don't see a lot of upside for him over his 2018 performance in the short term unless Allen gets hurt. Williams will probably get more targets than last season if healthy, but I'd be surprised if it was a lot more unless Allen misses games. And, while Williams is a very good red zone threat, I am skeptical he will sustain his TD per target rate, which was second best in the league last year among players with at least 20 targets, second only to Kareem Hunt. TE Henry returns, and he is also a strong red zone threat. So more targets for Williams may not drive his fantasy production up compared to 2018.

As for more passing, consider that it wasn't just about passing attempts, it was about offensive philosophy and pace. The Chargers ran 945 offensive plays last season, 5th fewest in the league. It wasn't because they weren't good enough on offense to sustain drives... it was because of Lynn's offensive philosophy.

That occurred last season despite the fact that the defense was not as good as it was expected to be, primarily due to missing 70 defensive starts to injury. The defense should be top 5 this season and could be #1, as long as they don't have another rash of serious injuries like last season. If they do perform better, that just further empowers Lynn to run the conservative offense he prefers.

All that said, the Chargers attempted 512 passes last season, which is a very low number. So perhaps I should have been more qualified in my earlier responses. They could attempt more, but I don't think it would be many more unless Gordon misses a lot of games, and they could just as easily have fewer attempts.

The Chargers also signed Lynn favorite Tyrod Taylor. He is easily the best backup QB the team has had since Rivers began starting in 2006. There has been some speculation that Lynn may intend to use Taylor in certain situations, like short yardage, or as a player like Taysom Hill for the Saints. I hope they don't do that, since IMO playing Taylor for a single meaningful snap at QB with Rivers healthy is a stupid idea (just as I think pulling Brees for Hill is stupid). But it seems pretty likely that Taylor will attempt more passes in 2019 than the 4.4 attempts Rivers' backups have averaged per season over the last 5 years. So more attempts for the team does not necessarily mean Rivers will have more attempts.

Edit: All 5 projections I’ve found have Rivers’ attempts increasing. 
I don't give this much weight. Many projections are data driven and utilize multiple seasons of data while failing to adjust for changing situations. Most of what I posted above is deeper information on Rivers and the Chargers than I think most people who do projections go.

I had the same conversation about Dak a year ago. (Maybe 2.) I have a similar stance here: I’m sure LAC would love to maintain the balance they had last season, but things change fast in the NFL. The Cowboys were sitting on the best line in the league and arguably the best back. Yet Dak’s attempts have increased significantly each year, despite their defense improving drastically.

The LAC schedule is pretty solid, tougher than last season: Colts, Packers, Steelers, Vikings, Chiefs (x2), Texans, Bears, Jags. The Raiders are going to score more than 8 points a game against them. The Broncos should be better too.

I’m not as plugged in to the team as you are, as a fan. But I’ll happily take the over on last year’s numbers. I’d take the over on an increase of 20. I think it’s likely they increase by more than that. I’m expecting a general regression to the mean. You disagree - and that’s cool. 

I actually have a Remind-Me folder of bookmarks for those types of posts.  I don't find any value in going back to them and preening if I were right and hate when others do, but man is it useful for self-reflection on cold rainy weekends.
It was only a bad joke in my part. What Joe should invest in is fixing the search function. It’s a pain trying to go back and find old posts in large threads.

My view is it won't be 2019 for his full recovery.  Remember how long it took A Luck to recover from his should issue.  There is a correlation here that I will not ignore.  There were some rumors early off season (Feb?) that they could not definitively declare they fixed the issue.  They could not determine what the actual problem was but they did surgery anyway.  How can you plan a career with that hanging over your physical ability?  

So, Cam is due for a new contract in 2021 and I don't think we see his "new level of play" until 2020.  Contract year production or resigned to a backup role.  
I'd disagree with the bolded. Cam Newton is not struggling to find a starting job, if the Panthers decide to move on, frankly I don't think he'd even accept one. 

Those early rumors seem pretty overblown, and I admit to taking them pretty seriously at the time, but there has been zero indication out of Carolina that Newton won't be full go week 1. 

I think Newton has a few years before we have to start worrying about him falling off a cliff. I'd be more worried if he suffered a lot of leg injuries, as that is such a huge part of his game, even when he isn't running, as defenses are always wary of it. 

I still value him as a QB1 in dynasty, and with how easy it is to find QB's, I'm not sure anything beyond 3 years really matters. I'd still prefer Newton to say, Kyler Murray, but I'd have him behind other more proven young QB's like say, Carson Wentz. 

This might be the last year that people value Julio > DJ Moore in dynasty.  I'd take DJ Moore already and stay ahead of that curve, since Julio has nowhere to go but down, and I feel DJ has nowhere to go but up. 

At minimum I see DJ Moore staying the same value.  Roughly WR10-15 if he has an average season but probably not vaulting up to the top tier of WR's.  That's his floor.  And even if he does that, someone will think he still belongs in top tier and you could sell for a kings ransom.  The arrow has nowhere to point but up (barring injury) so I'll take the asset that will either net me the same value, or higher value, rather than Julio who will decline in value for the rest of his career.  
I like DJ Moore a lot, but I think it'd be very dangerous to value him over Julio. 

The bolded is a spot where I see what you are saying, but disagree on the importance of it. Yes, Moore is on the way up, and Julio is likely on the way down soon. But they aren't close right now at all. Julio is at least 40 points ahead of Moore this year, and could be as many as 80, especially in PPR. On top of that, Julio is only 30. He could easily stay at this level for a couple more years. 

So while Moore is going up, and Julio is going down, its possible/likely they won't be equal for another 3 years or so. During that time, the difference between Julio and Moore might be a multiple wins a year. I'm assuming the owner who has Julio is a contender being that his other 2 WR's were Hopkins and Thomas, so that sways me even more in Julio's direction.

travdogg said:
I think Newton has a few years before we have to start worrying about him falling off a cliff. I'd be more worried if he suffered a lot of leg injuries, as that is such a huge part of his game, even when he isn't running, as defenses are always wary of it. 

I still value him as a QB1 in dynasty, and with how easy it is to find QB's, I'm not sure anything beyond 3 years really matters. I'd still prefer Newton to say, Kyler Murray, but I'd have him behind other more proven young QB's like say, Carson Wentz. 
I think this is spot on. More upper body injuries could lead to the team wanting him to run less, but every time this comes up Cam/the Panthers coaches say that they won't limit his running. Obviously that could change but I think they recognize it's what makes him special, and it gets him locked into games physically and emotionally (a big run is like anti-moping medicine). I could see a scenario where he gets run into the ground physically. The team's baffling management of his injury last year is an example. So I do worry about how long he has left physically. I agree on the 3 year window and wouldn't count on much more.

travdogg said:
I like DJ Moore a lot, but I think it'd be very dangerous to value him over Julio. 

The bolded is a spot where I see what you are saying, but disagree on the importance of it. Yes, Moore is on the way up, and Julio is likely on the way down soon. But they aren't close right now at all. Julio is at least 40 points ahead of Moore this year, and could be as many as 80, especially in PPR. On top of that, Julio is only 30. He could easily stay at this level for a couple more years. 

So while Moore is going up, and Julio is going down, its possible/likely they won't be equal for another 3 years or so. During that time, the difference between Julio and Moore might be a multiple wins a year. I'm assuming the owner who has Julio is a contender being that his other 2 WR's were Hopkins and Thomas, so that sways me even more in Julio's direction.
I don't do comprehensive dynasty rankings and debates like this illustrate why.

Those two guys are very different value propositions and their appeal to you probably hinges heavily on your roster composition, so it's hard to say which one is absolutely worth more in a vacuum. For example, if I'm a rebuilding team with no real hope of contending this year then I don't think I want to pay market price for Julio. He's getting older, his trade value is declining every year, and any production that you get from him now risks lowering the value of your rookie picks by giving you pointless wins. In that case you'd take DJ Moore, knowing that his best days are probably still ahead of him, even if a pure VBD analysis favors the remainder of Julio's career over a reasonable projection of what Moore might do.

On the other hand, if you're a contender then maybe you take 2-3 good seasons of Julio, knowing that for all his apparent potential Moore could still turn out to be an underwhelming player like Donte Stallworth or Corey Coleman who stalls out at a level that isn't useful for FF teams. If you're just thinking about immediate return then maybe the guy with the instant PPG edge is the way to go, even if he's a decaying asset.

I'm not a VBD guy, but basically what I'm saying is that sometimes decisions are actually more complicated than just saying "this guy's remaining career value is higher than this guy's therefore he's worth more." There are other variables such as timing, roster composition, and perceived value that might influence your thinking.

Personally, I tend to favor youth for a variety of reasons, but if you are aiming at a small window then maybe you take Julio over Moore or someone like LeVeon Bell over Josh Jacobs since there's theoretically more short-term security in guys who have established themselves as elite producers vs. guys who might get there someday.

travdogg said:
I'd disagree with the bolded. Cam Newton is not struggling to find a starting job, if the Panthers decide to move on, frankly I don't think he'd even accept one. 

Those early rumors seem pretty overblown, and I admit to taking them pretty seriously at the time, but there has been zero indication out of Carolina that Newton won't be full go week 1. 

The biggest thing you are not taking into consideration here is that Carolina has a new Owner.  He has already demonstrated he will play hardball with his cash regarding the facility, building a new HQ in SC (needed $115M Tax exemption or back to NC).  This will be his first big player contract challenge.  He has made it clear in his limited interviews that he needs to see how best to be competitive and he likes what the youth bring to the table.  I just don't see him giving Cam 3 year $100M money without Pro-Bowl level recovery in 2020.  Cam's ego might let him walk, but his legs will only take him so far after all the hits & injuries he has sustained. 

The biggest thing you are not taking into consideration here is that Carolina has a new Owner.  He has already demonstrated he will play hardball with his cash regarding the facility, building a new HQ in SC (needed $115M Tax exemption or back to NC).  This will be his first big player contract challenge.  He has made it clear in his limited interviews that he needs to see how best to be competitive and he likes what the youth bring to the table.  I just don't see him giving Cam 3 year $100M money without Pro-Bowl level recovery in 2020.  Cam's ego might let him walk, but his legs will only take him so far after all the hits & injuries he has sustained. 
From an outsider's perspective, it seems like Cam is the Face of the Franchise (tm), and the new owner probably recognizes that fact.  Ponying up for a very marketable personality pays handsome dividends, both in player morale and fan engagement.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems like Cam is the Face of the Franchise (tm), and the new owner probably recognizes that fact.  Ponying up for a very marketable personality pays handsome dividends, both in player morale and fan engagement.
Good Point....  And Cam is the clean image he should/could want....  But what will Cam's ego need to be sated? Does he feel the need for Top 3 $$ (>$33M/yr)? or will he go after the % of the Cap maneuver? 

It is my first season in a 12 team dynasty Superflex and I am wondering how to value Haskins in a rookie draft? I really only have Dalton as a starting QB on my roster. I also have Tannehill, Taysom Hill and Nate Sudfeld. I have the 1.10 rookie pick and I'm not sure Haskins will be there. I don't think trading up for Haskins would be wise.Maybe I could stand pat and take Lock?

It is my first season in a 12 team dynasty Superflex and I am wondering how to value Haskins in a rookie draft? I really only have Dalton as a starting QB on my roster. I also have Tannehill, Taysom Hill and Nate Sudfeld. I have the 1.10 rookie pick and I'm not sure Haskins will be there. I don't think trading up for Haskins would be wise.Maybe I could stand pat and take Lock?
It partially depends on the scoring, but in most superflex and 2 QB leagues I'm in or friends are in, the top QBs will all be gone by 1.10, including Jones and Lock.  Haskins has been the 1.02 pick in some superflex leagues.

It partially depends on the scoring, but in most superflex and 2 QB leagues I'm in or friends are in, the top QBs will all be gone by 1.10, including Jones and Lock.  Haskins has been the 1.02 pick in some superflex leagues.
Any chance that 1.10 gets you Rosen?  If you are a fan of course...might come cheap if the owner is down on him.

You really want to have at least 2 starting NFL QBs in a superflex league. It's hard to have much success if you're getting 11 ppg from your 4th WR while other teams are getting 17 ppg from their 2nd QB.

Haskins should be a top 3 rookie pick in superflex, IMO (though he went 4th in the Shark Pool poll). It's worth at least exploring trade-up options.

Any chance that 1.10 gets you Rosen?  If you are a fan of course...might come cheap if the owner is down on him.
I wouldn't trade Rosen for 1.10 in a superflex, but I guess some people are more down on him and would consider it.  It's hard to say for sure without more info about the league and teams involved.

I wouldn't trade Rosen for 1.10 in a superflex, but I guess some people are more down on him and would consider it.  It's hard to say for sure without more info about the league and teams involved.
I think it's worth a shot as another way to possibly get a starting QB, which is a must in Superflex in my experience.  It's tough to draft them, good to great one's especially unless you are drafting earlier than 1.10 in most years and this year's QB's have many questions after the first few.  Trading, though tricky in Superflex can sometimes be a better alternative to the draft, especially if you are a little more desperate for a starter.

I think it's worth a shot as another way to possibly get a starting QB, which is a must in Superflex in my experience.  It's tough to draft them, good to great one's especially unless you are drafting earlier than 1.10 in most years and this year's QB's have many questions after the first few.  Trading, though tricky in Superflex can sometimes be a better alternative to the draft, especially if you are a little more desperate for a starter.
Thanks for the input guys. I had tried to acquire Rosen, Carr or Mariota prior to the start of our rookie draft with no luck. The guy with the 1.07 pick was OTC and offered me Agholor and the 1.07 for my 2019 2.10 pick and my 2020 1st. I was considering countering with my 2019 1.10 and 2019 2.10 and I would take Haskins at 1.07. But I countered with 2019 1.10 pick straight up for Rosen and he accepted it.

He then took Montgomery at 1.07, AJ Brown went at 1.08 and Haskins went at 1.09.

Thanks for the input guys. I had tried to acquire Rosen, Carr or Mariota prior to the start of our rookie draft with no luck. The guy with the 1.07 pick was OTC and offered me Agholor and the 1.07 for my 2019 2.10 pick and my 2020 1st. I was considering countering with my 2019 1.10 and 2019 2.10 and I would take Haskins at 1.07. But I countered with 2019 1.10 pick straight up for Rosen and he accepted it.

He then took Montgomery at 1.07, AJ Brown went at 1.08 and Haskins went at 1.09.
Sweet.  Love that for you.  Cheap for a potential long term starter. Even functional starters maintain value in superflex.

northern exposure said:

I wonder if he was playing chicken with Haskins and lost him.  This is a perfect example of "you should have traded down instead of reaching for a guy" might play out against you and why I am always perfectly comfortable just taking my guy and not worrying about what others think. 

Personally I would have countered with your 2020 1st for 1.07 and Rosen both.  Draft Haskins 1.07 and then see whoever is still there at 1.10.  Second choice would have been 2.10 and 1.10 for 1.07 for Haskins and if you can finagle a pick back like a 3rd great but w/e.  You can't not have QB in a superflex and Haskins still being on the board is absurd.

Price check on Ingram in PPR?
I'd say about 1.6. But I am very much of the opinion, that the draft falls off after pick 5. The rookie pick polls sort of back that up, as there was a consensus top-5(in various orders) and then a complete cluster afterwards, in my eyes anyway.

I'd rather have Ingram than Campbell, Hardman, Brown(either), Hockenson, or Murray. He's basically a more proven, and older, Damian Williams, in that he may not be a great long term investment, but could be a league winner this year if things break right.

I'd say about 1.6. But I am very much of the opinion, that the draft falls off after pick 5. The rookie pick polls sort of back that up, as there was a consensus top-5(in various orders) and then a complete cluster afterwards, in my eyes anyway.

I'd rather have Ingram than Campbell, Hardman, Brown(either), Hockenson, or Murray. He's basically a more proven, and older, Damian Williams, in that he may not be a great long term investment, but could be a league winner this year if things break right.
5? I see it as a top 4.  Jacobs, Harry, Sanders, Montgomery. Who's your 5th?

I wonder if he was playing chicken with Haskins and lost him.  This is a perfect example of "you should have traded down instead of reaching for a guy" might play out against you and why I am always perfectly comfortable just taking my guy and not worrying about what others think. 

Personally I would have countered with your 2020 1st for 1.07 and Rosen both.  Draft Haskins 1.07 and then see whoever is still there at 1.10.  Second choice would have been 2.10 and 1.10 for 1.07 for Haskins and if you can finagle a pick back like a 3rd great but w/e.  You can't not have QB in a superflex and Haskins still being on the board is absurd.
His only QBs were Luck, Josh Allen and Rosen, so I was surprised he gave up Rosen for just 1.10. I think after he took Montgomery at 1.07 he had to be thinking Haskins would fall to him at 1.10. Once Haskins went at 1.09, he immediately flipped 1.10 for a projected late 2020 1st.

I took over an orphaned team and I think the previous owner lucked into the playoffs with smoke and mirrors and realized his lack of QBs in a SF format meant he would not be repeating his success, so he bailed.

In hindsight I probably panicked with my counter offer. I have had zero success talking trade for a QB in this league and once it looked like the Rosen owner might be willing to deal, I rushed my counter offer. I was worried about the guy at 1.09 taking Haskins because he is stockpiling QBs with Jimmy G, Darnold, Mahomes,Watson and now Haskins on his roster. I prefer Rosen to Haskins, so think I did alright with the trade.

I'm new to this league and the SuperFlex format, so I have a lot to learn.

Wasn't trying to be critical, I think Rosen for 1.10 was a steal too.  But I would have been aggressive (which you still might be able to be) trying to get both, that's all.

Wasn't trying to be critical, I think Rosen for 1.10 was a steal too.  But I would have been aggressive (which you still might be able to be) trying to get both, that's all.
I was being critical of myself. I am happy with the Rosen trade, but in hindsight I wish I would have been more patient and negotiated a bit with the owner. You were just pointing out options I have already kicked myself for not suggesting and seeing where they went.

How do you feel I still might be able to be aggressive? Any talks I had with the new Haskins owner involving his other QBs, prior to the draft, had his asking price for any of his QBs starting at 3-4 1st round picks.

2020 1sts are gold right now.  I have a draft getting ready to start and I plan on offering mine up.  I don't know where you project yours to be, but I was thinking you would offer it for Haskins +.  People are reporting giving up 1.04 for a random 2020.  If the guy got Haskins at 9 he may feel like he's playing with house money, and if a 2020 opens up he may overpay.  I wouldn't sell cheap or desperate though.  At the risk of this becoming an AC post I would suffice it to say I'm looking for top 5 value. 

Users who are viewing this thread