What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you were given free tickets and a trip to see a WNBA championship game, would you go? (1 Viewer)

If you were given free tickets and a trip to see a WNBA championship game, would you go?

• Of course I would go. I love watching women play basketball

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I would go but only to see the city where it was being played

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • Not sure I would go

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • No chance in hell I am going to see that boring basketball

Votes: 32 45.1%
  • What is the WNBA? I never even knew it existed

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!
Saw on the ticker while watching NCAA football yesterday that apparently, the WNBA just crowned a champion.  I had no idea they were even playing.

I would have to say no, no way I would go to that free game.  Sounds terrible.  I can only imagine they pipe WNBA games into Gitmo as their most severe form of torture.

Did anyone else even know they were playing?

If they were box seats with food and drinks covered, sure - otherwise, no

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to go. Game is only a couple of hours and there has to be a lot of other stuff to do wherever they played. 

Would have to be good seats.  I saw a Lynx playoff game at the Target Center a year or two ago.  Attendance was sparse for a playoff game, upper deck closed off.  Seats were far better than any T-Wolves game I've been to, so that made it enjoyable.  The basketball, while not on pro or college men's level, is still decent basketball.  Lindsay Whalen is a great play maker and watching her court vision in action, setting up teammates, making great passes is enjoyable to watch even if they are playing below the rim.

I wouldn't sit upper deck, or even near the back of the bottom deck.  From that vantage point, you are there for the environment and not for the game watching.  At that point I'll take it on TV and turn the channel if it isn't a good game.

I'd go, I love basketball.  I've coached my daughter's teams since she was in 2nd grade (now in 6th), so I know she'd love to go, too. 

Maximum 100K salary and probably backed by the NBA. 

The real question is, why do the best players stay in the US when they could make a lot more overseas? 
IIRC, most play in Europe also, where the season is during the winter like the traditional basketball season.

Of course I'd go if there were a trip involved.  If the game were in my home city I'd probably decline the offer. 

Maximum 100K salary and probably backed by the NBA. 

The real question is, why do the best players stay in the US when they could make a lot more overseas? 
Don't the overseas women's leagues play in the fall/winter? I know that a lot of the women play in both the WNBA and overseas, but I don't know the logistics of it.

Would go to visit the city  (assuming a good city). women's basketball is a terrible product at all levels. Some women's sports are very watchable (soccer in particular) but basketball is not. They are awful.  Always cracks me up when people claim they have great fundamentals or even that they shoot better than the men. lol. My HS could win the wnba title 

Easily the worst pro sport there is, but i'd be entertained by the championship match of almost anything.
WNBA is better than NASCAR.  I'd also watch WNBA over golf or hockey, but get that most people wouldn't.

If I was nit picky I'd point out ridiculuos sports like pro softball that are also inferior to WNBA.

Would go to visit the city  (assuming a good city). women's basketball is a terrible product at all levels. Some women's sports are very watchable (soccer in particular) but basketball is not. They are awful.  Always cracks me up when people claim they have great fundamentals or even that they shoot better than the men. lol. My HS could win the wnba title 
You're always quick to chip in on this topic. 

We get it bro, guys are better than girls. I've never seen anybody try to argue otherwise. 

Saw on the ticker while watching NCAA football yesterday that apparently, the WNBA just crowned a champion.  I had no idea they were even playing.

I would have to say no, no way I would go to that free game.  Sounds terrible.  I can only imagine they pipe WNBA games into Gitmo as their most severe form of torture.

I never quite understand why people are proud of ignorance.

Is that show still on?

People still buy this stuff? 

My care for the WNBA is quite low, but this is something I've never understood. 

I would go to visit the city and skip the game if I was allowed to do so.  If I have to go to the game, I could screw around on my phone for a couple of hours to pass the time, or bring a book or something.

No because the quality of basketball is such that I wouldn't want to waste the money in gas and parking to go to the game.  I would rather go to a local high school game instead and pay the $5 to see that. 

That being said, the finals game last night looked like a great one. 

The worst team in the NBA would win the NCAA tournament in six straight blowouts without breaking a sweat, but as far as I can tell that doesn't stop you from watching a lot of college basketball.

The worst team in the NBA would win the NCAA tournament in six straight blowouts without breaking a sweat, but as far as I can tell that doesn't stop you from watching a lot of college basketball.
To be fair, his high school couldn't win a WNBA title....so 

I watch sports to see incredible athletes do athletic things.

Women just don't cut it when it comes to basketball.  I've shared before how they are often the weakest link on teams in pickup games at my gym (including a first ballot Hall of Famer).

Women just don't cut it when it comes to basketball.  I've shared before how they are often the weakest link on teams in pickup games at my gym.
I get this, but don't you also watch it for the drama?  Do you continue to watch in the 4th quarter when a team has an insurmountable lead?  Say the Warriors are up by 40, but Clay and Curry are still draining threes, is that entertaining?  A team with a 21 point lead in football that is grinding out the lead with the running game.  Even if that means AP, Emmitt Smith or some other great is running the ball, does that make it entertaining?

The game last night had something like 20+ lead changes.  It was a back and forth contest with drama, bad calls, and clutch shots.  That's entertainment for me.

Women just don't cut it when it comes to basketball.  I've shared before how they are often the weakest link on teams in pickup games at my gym (including a first ballot Hall of Famer).
That's fine, but I suspect it's not entirely true.  If the only reason you watched sports was to see incredible athletes do athletic things you'd probably spend all your time watching American Ninja Warrior and Cirque du Soleil instead of football or baseball or hockey or pretty much any major American professional sport except possibly the NBA. Do you do that? 

I think a large part of the reason people watch sports is to see a high-stakes competition where emotions run high both for players and fans. It's reality TV except it's not fake and the participants sometimes explicitly represent our cities or schools, which adds an extra layer to it. That's true of the WNBA just like it's true of other sports lots of people watch even if peak human athletic achievement is not on display.  Look how many people still watch Notre Dame football!

Anyway, I don't watch the WNBA myself, but if people want to get into it, I don't see how that's any different from being into any other sport. If my city's team was good I'd definitely watch or maybe attend the Finals games. And I've never understood why men feel such an obligation to loudly declare how much they dislike it to anyone who will listen.  I think NASCAR is just about about the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I don't feel the need to start or threads or post comments demonstrating just how much I don't care about it.

I went to the women's NCAA BB Championship a few years ago here in NO, great experience and it's a great game.

So, yes.

I missed the free trip part.   Yeah in that case I'd go and if forced into the stadium I'd find a bar or something to hang out at till the game was over 

What is the WMBA?

I honestly don't think I'd go to an NBA finals either.  NBA product as a whole is crap 

That's fine, but I suspect it's not entirely true.  If the only reason you watched sports was to see incredible athletes do athletic things you'd probably spend all your time watching American Ninja Warrior and Cirque du Soleil instead of football or baseball or hockey or pretty much any major American professional sport except possibly the NBA. Do you do that? 

I think a large part of the reason people watch sports is to see a high-stakes competition where emotions run high both for players and fans. It's reality TV except it's not fake and the participants sometimes explicitly represent our cities or schools, which adds an extra layer to it. That's true of the WNBA just like it's true of other sports lots of people watch even if peak human athletic achievement is not on display.  Look how many people still watch Notre Dame football!

Anyway, I don't watch the WNBA myself, but if people want to get into it, I don't see how that's any different from being into any other sport. If my city's team was good I'd definitely watch or maybe attend the Finals games. And I've never understood why men feel such an obligation to loudly declare how much they dislike it to anyone who will listen.  I think NASCAR is just about about the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I don't feel the need to start or threads or post comments demonstrating just how much I don't care about it.
I would take Cirque de Soleil, and perhaps the good Ninja Warriors over many pro sports.

eta - and it is entirely true.  Slower, weaker... basically relegated to spot shooting against our pickup players (most of whom played once upon a time in HS/college).

I am not a lesbian nor a father of a WNBA player so no.

I get this, but don't you also watch it for the drama?  Do you continue to watch in the 4th quarter when a team has an insurmountable lead?  Say the Warriors are up by 40, but Clay and Curry are still draining threes, is that entertaining?  A team with a 21 point lead in football that is grinding out the lead with the running game.  Even if that means AP, Emmitt Smith or some other great is running the ball, does that make it entertaining?

The game last night had something like 20+ lead changes.  It was a back and forth contest with drama, bad calls, and clutch shots.  That's entertainment for me.
Meh.  If I change the channel from a boring NBA/NFL game (fair enough - lots of these), it won't be to WNBA games.

I'll watch a Bourne movie for the 100th time instead.

I would take Cirque de Soleil, and perhaps the good Ninja Warriors over many pro sports.

eta - and it is entirely true.  Slower, weaker... basically relegated to spot shooting against our pickup players (most of whom played once upon a time in HS/college).
The part I expected wasn't "entirely true" was that you watch sports only to watch incredible athleticism.  I think the drama and tension is a huge part of the equation for everyone. 

I'm aware that the quality of play in women's basketball is not great ... although I do think that part of the discrepancy when compared with soccer or Olympic sports or whatever is that Americans know so much about basketball and you can see the athleticism so well because there's only five players and the camera angle and seating is up close and personal.  I wonder if we'd have the same thoughts about women's soccer if we collectively watched as much men's soccer as we do men's basketball and saw it from the same angles.

The part I expected wasn't "entirely true" was that you watch sports only to watch incredible athleticism.  I think the drama and tension is a huge part of the equation for everyone. 

I'm aware that the quality of play in women's basketball is not great ... although I do think that part of the discrepancy when compared with soccer or Olympic sports or whatever is that Americans know so much about basketball and you can see the athleticism so well because there's only five players and the camera angle and seating is up close and personal.  I wonder if we'd have the same thoughts about women's soccer if we collectively watched as much men's soccer as we do men's basketball and saw it from the same angles.
I think the biggest disparity is that women's soccer typically fields fairly good looking girls that men can watch run around in short shorts.  The WNBA gets mostly ugly Amazons.  That right there would keep the futbol with much higher viewership.

Users who are viewing this thread