What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DNC - where do you go from here? (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42 said:
House, senate, and prez - pretty amazing, they got pummeled and somehow some people just don't see it.

FTR, Independent here, but I'm unhappy if either side has too much control.
It wasn't too long ago during W's tenure that Ann Coulter was crowing on TV calling the Democrats a permanent minority party going forward.  Then the Dems started saying the same thing about the Republicans during Obama's term.

The Democrats just got outflanked as the "party of the people" by a billionaire promising huge tax cuts for the rich. I'd be working hard on ideas for how we deal with technology and globalization, particularly since we're likely to see protectionist policies going into place that are going make things much worse on the working class. 

Education, Healthcare, Women and Minority rights. None of those are going away as core issues for the party, nor should they. 

RBM said:
You realize last night isn't the only election that matters?  Dems have been getting their ### kicked for 4 years. 
To be fair, the Republicans got their assess whupped from 2006 to 2010.  It happens. Sides win, the middle population gets tired of them....they overreach....the meaty middle puts them back in their place.  

This one exposed shortsightedness on the Democrats side as they knew there were (semi) permanent and irreversible situations at stake i.e. Supreme Court Justice seats. 

To be fair, the Republicans got their assess whupped from 2006 to 2010.  It happens. Sides win, the middle population gets tired of them....they overreach....the meaty middle puts them back in their place.  

This one exposed shortsightedness on the Democrats side as they knew there were (semi) permanent and irreversible situations at stake i.e. Supreme Court Justice seats. 
No doubt. Agree completely. 

They have some flaws but aren't fundamentally broken .  they just picked the one candidate that was bad enough to lose, and they did so without the full support of the electorate
More importantly, they need fresh blood. They need to spend the next 4 years grooming future candidates. No more Clintons, Obamas, Bidens, Schumers, Reids, etc.

Start with not belittling the opposition as stupid, racist & bigoted at every chance just because of policy disagreements..  It's not true & it pisses people off.
Every GOP candidate since Reagan was the "worst ever", a racist, homophobic, bigot. After a while, it rings hollow and it isn't effective anymore.

Get a new playbook.

More importantly, they need fresh blood. They need to spend the next 4 years grooming future candidates. No more Clintons, Obamas, Bidens, Schumers, Reids, etc.
I agree this is a decent silver lining for Democrats. The Clinton shadow is gone from the party for good, and the progressive wing of the party needs to step up. 

1.) let nature take its course and let old people die off. More of them are republican I would think. 

2.) hope that millennials and others who loved Bernie so much see what happens when you don't support the more left candidate of the two main choices or not even vote at all. Maybe 4 years of Trump will give them some life experience in that regard. 

3.) VA, NC, GA, FL and AZ seem like key states to me. The writing is on the wall on most of the rust belt states. You've already lost one of the bluest of the blue forever maybe (WV) and some of these others look like they are leaving the fold for similar reasons. If the Dems are losing a grip on working class they have to pick up some of these places that seem a little more progressive.

I think they just badly under-estimated just how badly folks want the "swamp drained". A huge portion of Trump voters were voting for that, and that alone. Americans really are sick of the elite becoming richer while the average folks get poorer. And they were absolutely convinced that Hillary was in bed with the elite (true). Polls have shown that people don't actually buy into most of what Trump is selling: he does NOT have a mandate other than to clean up Washington.

He isn't trusted but people desperately want big money out of Washington. Hillary could have learned from Bernie re. this, but didn't.

I have no idea how Trump can deliver on many of his promises. Mexico isn't going to pay for a wall. He can't cut taxes AND raise military spending AND spend billions more on infrastructure AND get into a (successful) trade war. But he can reduce big money influence if he really wants to.

El Floppo said:
which is why I jokingly/seriously threw out Oprah in here. 

people don't want more of the political machine/clans... they want outsiders. outsiders that have been vetted into universal recognition by reality TV. bring on Oprah. or Uma. 
Apparently the Ellen show is being cancelled??  .. I smell comeback  :shrug:  

Agree with above.

Both parties need to realize that it is all just a popularity contest. Unfortunately, policies and platforms don't matter. Outside of people who vote blindly by party affiliation, 90% of the rest vote on who they 'like' better (or hate less).

Obama didn't deliver on change.  

I think REPUBLICANS are misreading this election a little bit.  Sure, it's a bit disheartening that defecting Democrats (or Obama voters) didn't split their tickets; giving the House and Senate to the D's (something I thought Independents would do to Clinton).....but Trump's a RINO at best.  He's not going to be the standard bearer that the Hard Right thinks he's going to be. I've said it all along; he'll be as big a burr under the R's saddle as he will be to the D's...because in the end; he's a member of the TRUMP party. 
you might very well be right.   Appears a lot of people wanted to take a chance instead of what they knew they would get.

Agree with above.

Both parties need to realize that it is all just a popularity contest. Unfortunately, policies and platforms don't matter. Outside of people who vote blindly by party affiliation, 90% of the rest vote on who they 'like' better (or hate less).
Pretty much. The big swing Tuesday was that Hillary just wasn't very likable and people weren't inspired to come out and vote for her. I think the Dems saw how popular Obama is polling and assumed that his popularity would transfer over to Hillary. It didn't. 

Obama didn't deliver on change.  

I think REPUBLICANS are misreading this election a little bit.  Sure, it's a bit disheartening that defecting Democrats (or Obama voters) didn't split their tickets; giving the House and Senate to the D's (something I thought Independents would do to Clinton).....but Trump's a RINO at best.  He's not going to be the standard bearer that the Hard Right thinks he's going to be. I've said it all along; he'll be as big a burr under the R's saddle as he will be to the D's...because in the end; he's a member of the TRUMP party. 
It's going to be interesting to see how Ted Cruz treats him if he veers off this course. Ted is probably steaming underneath his fake veneer right bout now - still stung by the attack on his wife and father plus the showdown at the convention. There are a lot of land mines for Trump from two sides - the party RNC infrastructure of Prebus and the hard right of Cruz and his running mate - I think he'll stay tacked to the right to avoid the internal fight. He'll try and pass the welfare reform, school reform and some tax reform because those will be a slam dunk. The Obamacare repeal will be tricky because they will have to come up with some working alternative for preexisting/cancellation protection which will be difficult to get consensus even from the Republican side and his infrastructure program which I would think Schurmer could give him some cover on and would seem a slam dunk but the question here is does he become a sell out.

It's going to be interesting to see how Ted Cruz treats him if he veers off this course. Ted is probably steaming underneath his fake veneer right bout now - still stung by the attack on his wife and father plus the showdown at the convention. There are a lot of land mines for Trump from two sides - the party RNC infrastructure of Prebus and the hard right of Cruz and his running mate - I think he'll stay tacked to the right to avoid the internal fight. He'll try and pass the welfare reform, school reform and some tax reform because those will be a slam dunk. The Obamacare repeal will be tricky because they will have to come up with some working alternative for preexisting/cancellation protection which will be difficult to get consensus even from the Republican side and his infrastructure program which I would think Schurmer could give him some cover on and would seem a slam dunk but the question here is does he become a sell out.
The first time Trump tells the Republicans that he'll just go across the aisle get support from the Democrats AND support them in something they want will be the greatest moment in FOX News history.....and then a couple of months later, when he backstabs the Democrats and pulls support will be the greatest moment on CNN.  

This just feels very strange. Democrats have been feeling like they have been very successful with important social and economic policies changes effected.

And yet they stand here with record - seriously, record setting - losses across the state and federal level.
You can't enforce social change down the barrel of a gun. Conservatives and non GOP voters alike are gloating over how soft the left is today. PC police doesn't play well with the blue collar workers who bust their ### every workday to support their family.

This just feels very strange. Democrats have been feeling like they have been very successful with important social and economic policies changes effected.

And yet they stand here with record - seriously, record setting - losses across the state and federal level.
Well if you want to count the south all those states are assbackwards or even the stagnant rustbelt ones - they control the big ones and many of the progressive technology based ones - California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Nevada, New York, Connecticut, Virginia, Minnesota. And look they almost got North Carolina agree that was a big miss but it's close, Georgia is getting closer, Texas with Austin is going to be problematic in the near future for the GOP and so is Arizona.  So I might disagree with the "record" losses.  It is looking better there if you ask me.

On my flight to DDallas this AM FL rep Kathy castor was sitting right behind my wife.  When we got up to exit the plane I congratulated her on her overwhelming victory in FL, then asked her if she was surprised Trump won seeing as all the polls indicated a Hillary win.  She said she didn't expect it, then I interrupted her and said "well if you had read the Podesta leaks you would have known the early polls weren't accurate due to intentional oversampling of Democrats.". She looked at me with a puzzled look, and my wife quickly pushed me off the plane.  #DrainTheSwamp

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you want to count the south all those states are assbackwards or even the stagnant rustbelt ones - they control the big ones and many of the progressive technology based ones - California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Nevada, New York, Connecticut, Virginia, Minnesota. And look they almost got North Carolina agree that was a big miss but it's close, Georgia is getting closer, Texas with Austin is going to be problematic in the near future for the GOP and so is Arizona.  So I might disagree with the "record" losses.  It is looking better there if you ask me.
Well that is a different way to look at it. I was just talking about the map and legislatures and governorships held... even so yeah I guess in terms of intellectual and financial capital a great deal is held in the blue owned urban and academic centers.

They really need to concede the rust belt and quit wasting time and resources there. Maybe try some in Ohio and Pennsylvania. 

Got to turn some of those red states you mention blue. Texas would be huge. 

If they could count on Texas CA and NY every election that's about half of the electoral college right there. 

Well that is a different way to look at it. I was just talking about the map and legislatures and governorships held... even so yeah I guess in terms of intellectual and financial capital a great deal is held in the blue owned urban and academic centers.
Love to see the blue owned urban academics get up for breakfast at 6 and find the farmer who got up at 3 decided not to feed you breakfast lunch or dinner. ..  :yes:

They have some flaws but aren't fundamentally broken .  they just picked the one candidate that was bad enough to lose, and they did so without the full support of the electorate
While I agree somewhat, still lost down ballot. We can argue about coattail effects but not like they flipped the House.  Don't think they need wholesale changes but do need to reevaluate. Republicans will probably step in it much like Dems which will help.  

Demographics should continue to help. Who knows what Trump does but that probably determines where the Dems go. If he goes more conservative, could see party getting more progressive. If he goes populist, could see more centrist. 

Pretty much. The big swing Tuesday was that Hillary just wasn't very likable and people weren't inspired to come out and vote for her. I think the Dems saw how popular Obama is polling and assumed that his popularity would transfer over to Hillary. It didn't. 
This.

Not sure how accurate this is but I heard Trump got approximately between 1.5 - 2 million votes fewer than Romney and McCain...and he still smoked Hillary. There was no enthusiam to go out and vote and a lot stayed home or voted 3rd party. She also didn't have any single specific thing policy wise that stood out that would excite anyone and she had absolutely no charisma and never could connect with the average American. Bill did. Obama did. Bernie did. Trump did. Hillary never came close to connecting.  

They need someone like Bernie (for example) in the worst way. Despite the results (including down ballot), the country is becoming more progressive and capturing those people along with the Hispanic vote is their path. But they need a candidate to generate enthusiasm to vote FOR that candidate. Hillary simply did not do that and that along with her numerous flaws cost the Democrats an election that was there for the taking. 

They need someone like Bernie (for example) in the worst way. Despite the results (including down ballot), the country is becoming more progressive and capturing those people along with the Hispanic vote is their path. But they need a candidate to generate enthusiasm to vote FOR that candidate. Hillary simply did not do that and that along with her numerous flaws cost the Democrats an election that was there for the taking. 
I was kind of shocked that Hillary didn't have an 'attack dog' type as her VP, someone that could drum up the crowds and motivate voters that she couldn't.  They played it safe with Kaine, which in most elections would have made sense.

The absolute first thing they have to do is get someone who isn't a total clown to run the DNC.  I'm scared it'll be Theo Epstein looking for a new challenge.

With Trump filling one Supreme Court position now and with Ginsburg being 83, Bryer being 78 and Kennedy being 80, he just might get to fill another 3.

If that happens future elections will be far more irrelevant.

Also the RNC needs to make major changes also, Trump was not a man of the RNC liking.

A lot has to change in both parties. 

With Trump filling one Supreme Court position now and with Ginsburg being 83, Bryer being 78 and Kennedy being 80, he just might get to fill another 3.

If that happens future elections will be far more irrelevant.

Also the RNC needs to make major changes also, Trump was not a man of the RNC liking.

A lot has to change in both parties. 
No way Ginsburg's quitting. She'll wax and embalm herself like Lenin before she lets Trump replace her.

I was for Bernie.  I held my nose and voted Hillary (first time I ever voted for a major party candidate), but why should I vote Democrat ever again?  Seeing how they refused to let the voters decide who they wanted, why should I bother to play their game anymore?  Hillary Clinton should have never been the candidate knowing what we all know now.

Quitting, never.  But she has had some serious health issues.  
And she will be in her 90s when Trump is still in office.  Republicans have control of this country in a way not seen in our lifetimes.  It will be interesting to see what happens with so much control and no opposition of any kind.  They control the house, senate, White House, huge majority of state governments, and will have control of the Supreme Court for at least the next 30 years at a minimum and will have an overwhelming majority in a few years.  I'm not sure if this much control is healthy or hurtful, but this leaves Democrats absolutely powerless.  Now they will feel what it was like in 2008-2012 but this time it will be on steroids.  They have a lot of soul searching to do in the next few years, because it's almost pointless showing up to work this outnumbered. 

I spent a while today going through state results. This really jumps out. In key states Trump pulled pretty similar to Romney but Clinton was consistently a few % points lower than Obama.

Johnson and Stein also both averaged about a 300% increase in their totals over 2012. Trump's margin of victory in just about all the battleground states I looked at was less than the increase in votes for Johnson and Stein. 

As I wrote in an earlier post about the problems of the almost exclusive "Disqualify Trump" strategy, and I think this is another indicator. A lot of voters agreed Trump was disqualified but voted for Johnson and Stein. 

And she will be in her 90s when Trump is still in office.  Republicans have control of this country in a way not seen in our lifetimes.  It will be interesting to see what happens with so much control and no opposition of any kind.  They control the house, senate, White House, huge majority of state governments, and will have control of the Supreme Court for at least the next 30 years at a minimum and will have an overwhelming majority in a few years.  I'm not sure if this much control is healthy or hurtful, but this leaves Democrats absolutely powerless.  Now they will feel what it was like in 2008-2012 but this time it will be on steroids.  They have a lot of soul searching to do in the next few years, because it's almost pointless showing up to work this outnumbered. 
The question is: do they have the Presidency? Trump ran as an R but he's not a party guy. He's a Trump guy. We have no idea how willing he will be to tow the party line or how willing Republicans will be in following his every lead.

I think nationally the Dems need to be careful not to overreact. It's inevitable but they shouldn't do it. They have natural advantages. 2008 shows what they did right in taking advantage of them - open primary, young candidate, minority enthusiasm, willingness to go to the talent on the bench.

2016 shows what they did wrong - protected presumed nominee, old candidate, lack of enthusiasm, relied on the establishment/machine placeholder.

When Dems have succeeded before that - Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, JFK - again there was youth and outsider status with promise of 'change'.

One other thought - the Dems went through a similar crisis before and ironically it was Bill Clinton who created the DLC, which was a sort of GOP Lite. Obama created OFA, which was obviously not. Hillary tried to stradel two models and they never fit. Some new model again needs to be created.

It's possible the rust belt stays red, which would be devastating for Democrats.  It all comes down to whether or not Trump can give them the lifeline the Democrats wouldn't throw out.

Users who are viewing this thread