Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Insein

*Official 2017 Philadelphia Eagles* - The Long March to Free Agency

527 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Sproles will reprise his role. Smallwood will be back and may get an increased role. Mathews will likely be gone. Beyond that, hard to say until we know what they do in FA and the draft. And I have no idea on those fronts.

yeah, it is a bit of a mystery, especially seeing how each year there are a few RB free agents that can be serviceable. I think Smallwood will have a role, and I am not sure they want to put any of their other younger RBs in a position to have a ton of playing time

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Lehigh98 said:

Was thinking about travelling for a game last year but no real good options, next year looks better.

Rams still playing at the Coliseum but could hit Disneyland while in the area.

Who knows what San Diego is going to do at this point.

Hit up some BBQ in KC or buy raincoats in Seattle.

Drive down to Carolina.

Any suggestions for best place to travel for an away game with the family next year?

I've been to all the cities on next year's away schedule - a couple for games but mostly for business and/or vacation - and it depends how long you're there for and what else you're looking to do.

If it's just an in-and-out for a weekend I'd lean towards KC. The gameday and stadium experience is every bit as good as Philly (maybe even better :ph34r:), the people are great, travel will be way cheaper and quicker than the West Coast options, and of course there's the Reid connection for us. Schedule will be a big factor in terms of weather though - for sure I wouldn't want to book a mid-December road trip there.

If you're OK with a cross-country trip, do Seattle. Tons to do with kids, a relatively compact downtown to walk or bike around in, lots of unique sights, and their weather reputation is wildly overblown (not much sun but not all that much rain either). Plus you're a hop, skip and jump from Vancouver, one of the best cities in the world IMO. I have to wonder what kind of reception you'd get in the stadium though (never been to CLF) and of course you're probably looking at 2x or more the cost all-in. Even so I'm strongly considering it next year depending on the timing.

I've never been a huge fan of SoCal personally, but if you're looking for more of a 'home away from home' atmosphere for the game it's safe to say you're more likely to get that in either LA or SD than in either KC or SEA ... and obviously you won't have to worry about weather when you're making the travel plans. Plenty to do in LA between the city itself, the beaches and the theme parks ... but do you really want to spend half your West Coast vacation sitting in traffic?

Kinda sucks that we're travelling to both SoCal teams and hosting both NorCal teams, rather than one of each.

Edited by Mr. Irrelevant
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Lehigh98 said:

Was thinking about travelling for a game last year but no real good options, next year looks better.

Rams still playing at the Coliseum but could hit Disneyland while in the area.

Who knows what San Diego is going to do at this point.

Hit up some BBQ in KC or buy raincoats in Seattle.

Drive down to Carolina.

Any suggestions for best place to travel for an away game with the family next year?

Back to back years with games in Seattle is very unusual (I know the formula, just is weird it lined up like that).  Tough place to play.  And tickets will be very expensive and it might be a tough game for us.  Sounds like SD would be the best of all those in terms of chance to win/ticket prices/coolness of city.  It's awesome there.

4 hours ago, modogg said:

yeah this is off. Dallas has been fortunate avoiding too many debilitating injuries. Their back-up RBs are stellar with A-Mo, but one or 2 injuries on the OL can cost them some games. Am I the only one that remembers the Eagles were up 10 points in the 4th quarter in Dallas?

Yes, which is why I dropped them from 13.5 wins this season to 11.5 wins next season.  I also see a bit of a regression even though on paper they should get even better.  I think thats giving enough benefit of the doubt there.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Sproles will reprise his role. Smallwood will be back and may get an increased role. Mathews will likely be gone. Beyond that, hard to say until we know what they do in FA and the draft. And I have no idea on those fronts.

Maybe offer a late pick for Ingram? How about even up for Kendricks?

3 minutes ago, Donny Loved Bowling said:

I never love getting RB via FA.  The ticket for RBs seems to be get them young and cheap in the draft.  So many really good RBs to be had in rounds 2-4 that can be good starters.  I'd rather role with Smallwood/Sproles/Barner this year and address WR in free agency and draft OL and CB.  Then grab a 2nd round starting RB in 2018 when Sproles is gone.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Deamon said:

I never love getting RB via FA.  The ticket for RBs seems to be get them young and cheap in the draft.  So many really good RBs to be had in rounds 2-4 that can be good starters.  I'd rather role with Smallwood/Sproles/Barner this year and address WR in free agency and draft OL and CB.  Then grab a 2nd round starting RB in 2018 when Sproles is gone.

Piecemeal the RB position until you're in position to be a Super Bowl contender and then have the luxury to take a legit stud* in the early rounds if it will get you over the hump.

* That is if you haven't already gotten a stud in the later rounds. 

2 people like this

Bills seeking to interview Frank Reich for head coaching position. Jets pursuing John DeFilippo for offensive coordinator. Really hoping we don't lose both of these guys in the same offseason...

33 minutes ago, Donny Loved Bowling said:

Bills seeking to interview Frank Reich for head coaching position. Jets pursuing John DeFilippo for offensive coordinator. Really hoping we don't lose both of these guys in the same offseason...

Yeah that would REALLY suck. 

Regarding Eric Rowe:

He didn't play 50% of the Pats' snaps in 2016. Has to play 50% in either 2016 or 2017 for their 4th rd pick from NE to become a 3 in 2018.

29 minutes ago, Donny Loved Bowling said:

UGH.  And here preseason we were all worried about Schwartz being the one who was gonna leave.  This is an offensive league now though, and going after OC's instead of DC's is going to be more the norm.

Bills, Jags, Rams all certainly will go with an offensive guy I would think.

Den, SF I think will too.  Demand for OC's is going to be high this offseason and that doesn't bode well for keeping Reich around.

1 minute ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Regarding Eric Rowe:

He didn't play 50% of the Pats' snaps in 2016. Has to play 50% in either 2016 or 2017 for their 4th rd pick from NE to become a 3 in 2018.

what % did he hit this year?

1 hour ago, Thunderlips said:

Piecemeal the RB position until you're in position to be a Super Bowl contender and then have the luxury to take a legit stud* in the early rounds if it will get you over the hump.

* That is if you haven't already gotten a stud in the later rounds. 

:goodposting: 

I just queried PFR for the scrimmage yards RB leaders in 2016. Here's where the top 12 were drafted ... just as Deamon noted, it looks like the sweet spot is in the late 2nd through 4th rounds:

1 David Johnson 3-86
2 Ezekiel Elliott 1-4
3 Le'Veon Bell 2-48
4 DeMarco Murray 3-71
5 LeSean McCoy 2-53
6 Devonta Freeman 4-103
7 Jay Ajayi 5-149
8 Melvin Gordon 1-15
9 Spencer Ware 6-194
10 Mark Ingram 1-28
11 Frank Gore 3-65
12 Lamar Miller 4-97

Of course the hit rate on mid-round RBs is going to be a lot lower than on 1st-rounders ... but guess what, that's the case at every other position as well. I haven't run the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if the correlation between draft position and total value above replacement for RBs is significantly lower than the average overall.

3 people like this

I am more of a defense guy and I know many are screaming for CB's but this team needs offense.

Our defense kept teams points low enough to win if we had some offense. (WR's that would catch the damn ball)

IMO we need draft picks not free agency. Trade out of the 1st and draft as much as possible.

The good news is Dougie is only married to Carson so open training camp for all other positions.

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I just queried PFR for the scrimmage yards RB leaders in 2016. Here's where the top 12 were drafted ... just as Deamon noted, it looks like the sweet spot is in the late 2nd through 4th rounds:

1 David Johnson 3-86
2 Ezekiel Elliott 1-4
3 Le'Veon Bell 2-48
4 DeMarco Murray 3-71
5 LeSean McCoy 2-53
6 Devonta Freeman 4-103
7 Jay Ajayi 5-149
8 Melvin Gordon 1-15
9 Spencer Ware 6-194
10 Mark Ingram 1-28
11 Frank Gore 3-65
12 Lamar Miller 4-97

Of course the hit rate on mid-round RBs is going to be a lot lower than on 1st-rounders ... but guess what, that's the case at every other position as well. I haven't run the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if the correlation between draft position and total value above replacement for RBs is significantly lower than the average overall.

Nice info. 

If Cook or Fournette drop to us I think those are no brainers.  But assuming they don't, the drop off is pretty big and I like grabbing one way later.  We have a very good shot at a top CB at #15 though.  And as much as I don't want to go WR in round 1, I wouldn't be upset if Wiliams slipped to us or we grabbed Davis.

4 hours ago, Donny Loved Bowling said:

Thinking throw Kendricks in a deal for Cooks. 

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Deamon said:

Dallas at 35% seems very low.  I think most people would take those betting odds.  Heck, most might bet Dallas straight up to win the div vs the field.  I'd put it at, and expect the opening betting percentages to be around:

Dallas:  43%
Giants:  23%
Eagles:  22%
Redskins: 12%

See....we aren't all THAT far apart ;)

BDawk made the HOF finalist list.  Pretty sweet.  I don't think he'll be a first ballot inductee, but a finalist his first time in bodes well for him next year I think.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Donny Loved Bowling said:

Would love Ingram but I bet he stays in no if Payton leaves

4 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

1 David Johnson 3-86
2 Ezekiel Elliott 1-4
3 Le'Veon Bell 2-48
4 DeMarco Murray 3-71
5 LeSean McCoy 2-53
6 Devonta Freeman 4-103
7 Jay Ajayi 5-149
8 Melvin Gordon 1-15
9 Spencer Ware 6-194
10 Mark Ingram 1-28
11 Frank Gore 3-65
12 Lamar Miller 4-97

17 of the top 21 QBs in yards this year were drafted within the first 36 picks, including 12 in the top 4.

6 of the top 12 WRs in yards this year were 1st-round picks, plus 3 2nd-round picks.

2 hours ago, need2know said:

Would love Ingram but I bet he stays in no if Payton leaves

Hypothetical poll question:

Would you trade #15 for Ingram and Cooks?

5 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

They wouldn't do that.  What makes you think they would want to trade either of them?

1 minute ago, need2know said:

They wouldn't do that.  What makes you think they would want to trade either of them?

Malcontents, eventual contract obligation to Cooks, use pick to build defense for one final SB push with Brees

1 hour ago, JetMaxx said:

Hell yes.  No question.

Might even do #15 for Cooks straight up.  Would there be that much better of a WR we could get at 15? 

7 hours ago, Deamon said:

Hell yes.  No question.

Might even do #15 for Cooks straight up.  Would there be that much better of a WR we could get at 15? 

He'd be like D-Jax and Mathews combined. Wouldn't hesitate one second for Cooks! Throw Kendricks in for Ingram but it'll never happen. It's not fantasy football.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

17 of the top 21 QBs in yards this year were drafted within the first 36 picks, including 12 in the top 4.

6 of the top 12 WRs in yards this year were 1st-round picks, plus 3 2nd-round picks.

Before seeing your stats that's pretty much exactly what I would have guessed. The correlation between high draft picks and success at QB has been obvious for decades, and the qualities that set true stud WRs apart are evident on college tape and at the combine (route-running, leaping ability, YAC). Whereas elite college OLs can make average RBs look like world-beaters, and vice versa. Even Football Outsiders comes right out and admits they can't do a good job separating RB metrics from those of the OL they run behind.

Unless you have a true generational talent like AP or Zeke sitting there on draft day, I think it's much wiser to use those early picks on BPA and throw one mid-round dart a year at the RB position until you hit.

2 people like this

Assuming you've watched most philly games, what are your realistic expectations for Wentz for next year from a FF perspective? 

59 minutes ago, Dr. Brew said:

Assuming you've watched most philly games, what are your realistic expectations for Wentz for next year from a FF perspective? 

hard to say. I'm not exactly sure what Pederson's offense will focus on. if they don't add anything significant to their RBs, i would have to think his numbers will only be better

1 hour ago, Dr. Brew said:

A full offseason of work as the starter with not distractions from the draft or previous starter drama, Wentz should be able to get a rhythm with guys like Matthews and Ertz. Hopefully that means December Ertz shows up early.  Just that piece alone is enough to give you a positive outlook based on what he did in his rookie year. 

He was healthy 16 games, went 16-14 TD to int for 3700 yards with 62% completion. Thats a pretty good Rookie year. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Unless you have a true generational talent like AP or Zeke sitting there on draft day, I think it's much wiser to use those early picks on BPA and throw one mid-round dart a year at the RB position until you hit.

What's odd is that some didn't want us to take Zeke even before we moved up because he wasn't perceived as a generational talent.  Personally, I'm not for or against any one way to get a RB but it seems convenient that only the "hits" are mentioned when discussing a late round RB.  For every Jordan Howard there's a Lorenzo Taliaferro.  IMO I'd rather have a choice from the full list.  If they believe that one is THAT good you take him.  Now what works out well for us this year is that I see a LOT of really good RB's this season.  Combine that with how well the RB class was last season we can land a serious talent in round 2, 3 or 4.

53 minutes ago, Dr. Brew said:

Hard to say until we see what we add around him.  I expect progression in quite a few areas and I think what will take the biggest leap will be how and when he chooses to run.  Down the stretch he did a much better job of using his legs and escaping pressure. 

I am excited to see what they bring to give Wentz some weapons. Would be nice to land a big target WR. I grabbed him to keep for a last round draft pick if I wanted to. Would be nice to land a quality QB with the last pick

3 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Before seeing your stats that's pretty much exactly what I would have guessed. The correlation between high draft picks and success at QB has been obvious for decades, and the qualities that set true stud WRs apart are evident on college tape and at the combine (route-running, leaping ability, YAC). Whereas elite college OLs can make average RBs look like world-beaters, and vice versa. Even Football Outsiders comes right out and admits they can't do a good job separating RB metrics from those of the OL they run behind.

Zeke is no generational talent. He's running behind one of the best OL in the last decade if not the best.

4 hours ago, Dr. Brew said:

More play action pass which will result in more shots down field. The screen will become an extension of the run in Dougie's eye's. 

Wentz's floor for 2017 is his 2016 stats. 

1 person likes this

Keep in mind Trent Richardson was supposed to be that upper tier too.  Zeke worked for the Cowboys, but we're not them.  RB in the first won't add many wins.   If there's a true #1 WR, then I'm on board, otherwise BPA all day.  being able to get RB production at a 2nd/3rd round salary is very beneficial to the overall cap and talent as well.  If we could get Fournette in the 2nd, then I'm game.  He didn't have a great year, so he might drop....

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, Deamon said:

what % did he hit this year?

43%--452 total snaps

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

Keep in mind Trent Richardson was supposed to be that upper tier too.  Zeke worked for the Cowboys, but we're not them.  RB in the first won't add many wins.   If there's a true #1 WR, then I'm on board, otherwise BPA all day.  being able to get RB production at a 2nd/3rd round salary is very beneficial to the overall cap and talent as well.  If we could get Fournette in the 2nd, then I'm game.  He didn't have a great year, so he might drop....

The 2nd could have  Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey or Mixon for us.  Mixon may even make the 3rd.  All 4 of these guys have legit potential.

Edited by Bigboy10182000

Posted (edited)

Roseman: Joe Douglas will lead the draft room and form the draft board for the #Eagles.

Howie Roseman said that Joe Douglas will set the draft board, but he still ultimately has final say on who's picked

Edited by Bigboy10182000
2 people like this

3 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

If there's a true #1 WR, then I'm on board, otherwise BPA all day.  

I don't think we take a rookie and add him to the other 5 under 25 y.o. receivers and expect him to be a #1 next year. Too much pressure. Too much risk. We are better off trying to fill that "solid, dependable" void with someone that's played a few years in the league and use our first-rounder somewhere else. 

2 hours ago, jon007 said:
7 hours ago, Dr. Brew said:

More play action pass which will result in more shots down field. The screen will become an extension of the run in Dougie's eye's. 

Wentz's floor for 2017 is his 2016 stats. 

For FF, I like him as a QB 2 in '17.