What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

La La Land (1 Viewer)

Mr.Pack

Footballguy
I liked it.

Gossling learned piano just for the movie and did a great job. Singing was Ok, dancing was good. Emma Stone was pretty good too. Oddly, my wife didn't like it but she went in with much higher expectations. She kept talking about how she thought it was going to compare to "Singing in the Rain".

3.5 out of 5 stars

Just saw it. Liked it a lot. Nice story. Very good music, acting, set design, wardrobe and lighting. Excellent escapism. 

In today's world, I think we could all use a little more musical in our lives. 

I think Emma Stone was great and will be a strong contender for the big awards.  Gossling was good, but not great.  Daring role for him though.  The movie had a lot of great Hollywood and relationship themes but the ending through me off.  Didn't like it as much as I thought I would.  Either did Mrs. Smails

IMO, if you're going to make a musical, cast leads that are actually great singers and dancers first, actors second.

Gosling and Stone are fine actors but mediocre singers and dancers. They both can carry a tune and manage some basic dance steps, but a great musical requires a lot more. 

This is not a great musical. 

I was at the theater going to see Passengers when La La Land let out.  I saw 3 geezer couple literally dancing together down the hallway.  Decided then and there never to see the movie. 

maybe you'll like it better after you graduate middle school.
Maybe you'll grow up to learn there are multiple definitions to a word

gay

ɡā/

adjective

(of a person, especially a man) homosexual.

"that friend of yours, is he gay?"

synonyms:homosexual, lesbian; 

informalqueer

"gay men and women"

lighthearted and carefree.

"Nan had a gay disposition and a very pretty face"

Maybe you'll grow up to learn there are multiple definitions to a word

gay

ɡā/

adjective

(of a person, especially a man) homosexual.

"that friend of yours, is he gay?"

synonyms:homosexual, lesbian; 

informalqueer

"gay men and women"

lighthearted and carefree.

"Nan had a gay disposition and a very pretty face"
That said, it does look pretty gay.

I loved it but I wish Stone and Gossling could sing a little better. I loved the story though. Lighting was way cool as well.

Thought it was tremendous. Visually stunning. As others have said, they aren't the greatest singers but great chemistry covers it up somewhat. Highly recommend. 

Liked it more than Manchester by the sea if I had an Oscar vote. 

I think the fact that Gosling and Stone aren't great singers and dancers is kinda why I liked it even more. It's not a Broadway production, it's a movie. And the singing and dancing is a very small fraction of this film. If they had better singers who couldn't act and didn't have the on-screen charisma and chemistry of these two, the movie wouldn't be nearly as good IMO.

I think the fact that Gosling and Stone aren't great singers and dancers is kinda why I liked it even more. It's not a Broadway production, it's a movie. And the singing and dancing is a very small fraction of this film. If they had better singers who couldn't act and didn't have the on-screen charisma and chemistry of these two, the movie wouldn't be nearly as good IMO.
Agree 100%

Looks good, but I'm not sure if I can deal with a musical.
I thought the same thing. My wife is all over things like Grease and Hairspray, and I'll pass every time. But outside of the opening scene, it's really not one of those typical song and dance type movies where they just break out in song completely out of nowhere. It's mostly in the early going, and then 2 scenes towards the end with a musical aspect. But while most musicals completely take you out of the movie (because duh nobody just breaks into song in real life), this film doesn't really do that somehow.

I thought about going to this movie yesterday.  But instead elected to go see Rogue One for the second time.  I did not want to catch anything.  

Saw it on Christmas with the Mrs. No offense FFA but I doubt half of you will like it much. Was gonna do a full blown thread but I don't see a lot of folks in the FFA liking La La Land plus it's not as good as critics seem to think it is. It's good and different than a lot of movies and a throwback of sorts to old Hollywood. 

A terrible year for films once again has a couple of films that simply were made decent sweeping the entire field. 

4/5 stars for me but the Mrs gave it a rousing 5 stars...women will get choked up and swept up in the Romance. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Scrolling through twitter all I see is people celebrating Emma Stone. I like her, I'm a fan. From being the chick fat Jonah Hill chased to a Golden Globe winning best actress?
I liked her in "Help" the best, but will check this out as a movie fan. Ironically one of her best performances was Easy A, in a comedy.
Only thing, does she drop the dress in this one? Waiting for that movie, patiently.

Isn't an open secret that the Golden Globes are for sale? I fail to see what's so impressive that they bought more awards than any other film before.
I don't know. I haven't seen every movie nominated in every category. All I can say is that La La Land was a pretty good movie. 

I have seen it twice, and liked it better the second time. the music really grew on me and the ending made more sense to me the second time. I think it is a really good well rounded movie. Good music, good dancing, good story, great chemistry between the leads. It's no West Side Story, but it works for what it is. If you don't like musicals, there is really no reason for you to go see it, you won't like it.

If you don't like musicals, there is really no reason for you to go see it, you won't like it.
I disagree.  I actually hated the opening scene and was thinking "wtf did my wife drag me too" but it got better after that. 

The "play I Ran" scene was funny.

There are exceptions to every rule eoMMan, but for the most part I have to agree. Musicals, like Broadway and the Opera, are mostly acquired tastes in my opinion.

As one who is 93% finished writing a movie musical (6 years i been workin this ##### to the exclusion of almost everything else because my heart called me to stop trying to write something important and make a Wizard of Oz of my very own), i'm glad there's something that keeps the musical comedy relevant in the culture and that you hard-boiled eggs are at least willing to discuss it. You're right, there is nothing gayer than busting into song in the middle of life (on stage, screen or not), but few things more poignant than making a point, telling a story in song. You feel Godrays each time you bring something closer to working in the format and, hard as its been, i hope for chances to do it again and again and again..........the HILLS are alive *lalala*

La La Land is squarely in the self-referential sweet spot that the industry loves to honor at award shows.  It's not the greatest movie in the history of the Golden Globes but it's entertaining enough, beautifully filmed and a nice change of pace from the action movies and depressing dramas that dominate release schedules.

The film is magical enough to make the audience overlook the vocal limitations of the performers but they're much more apparent listening to the soundtrack w/out visuals.

As one who is 93% finished writing a movie musical (6 years i been workin this ##### to the exclusion of almost everything else because my heart called me to stop trying to write something important and make a Wizard of Oz of my very own), i'm glad there's something that keeps the musical comedy relevant in the culture and that you hard-boiled eggs are at least willing to discuss it. You're right, there is nothing gayer than busting into song in the middle of life (on stage, screen or not), but few things more poignant than making a point, telling a story in song. You feel Godrays each time you bring something closer to working in the format and, hard as its been, i hope for chances to do it again and again and again..........the HILLS are alive *lalala*
Will there be substantial dancing during the musical numbers?  I've got a 15 year old who wants to get to Broadway.  Great dancer, good actress, average singer. 

La La Land is squarely in the self-referential sweet spot that the industry loves to honor at award shows.  It's not the greatest movie in the history of the Golden Globes but it's entertaining enough, beautifully filmed and a nice change of pace from the action movies and depressing dramas that dominate release schedules.

The film is magical enough to make the audience overlook the vocal limitations of the performers but they're much more apparent listening to the soundtrack w/out visuals.
And that is with pretty remedial songs. The Globe-winner is almost ThreeBlindMicely simple. 

One of the equilibriums i had to develop in writing my li'l slice was in being able establish a lyrical cleverness and musical depth that is necessary to create songs that actually move the story along and make statements without giving too many phrasing/breathing challenges to the performers. Command (the stock of a good musical-comedy song) without too much demand. Emma Stone could probably sing half the songs in my "GLASS", Gosling none, and neither could nail any of em, i fear. NTTAWWT

Generally the lead has to be a singer, like your daughter.  Often some supporting characters get to sing in character voices if they can dance their ### off, that would be my girl.
Sounds like we have two roles set for Wikkid. as my daughter was in musicals all through HS too!

:D

On that note, I have a daughter who's a singer/songwriter who loves musicals.

Will there be substantial dancing during the musical numbers?  I've got a 15 year old who wants to get to Broadway.  Great dancer, good actress, average singer. 
I think i've been linked to hear your daughter, haven't i Mr Pack? Pleasing talent. I'm shopping for an new arranger - if they use a recording format that indulges same, i could conceivably throw a chance @ a demo song her way to give her a credit/in.

Except for the climactic number (it's based on Alice in Wonderland and her trial is the biggy) i dont write the dances, but there are several group numbers. Remind me to remind you to remind me, d-dub. We're a long way off yet, even though i have two directors of musical-comedy movies in the family.

I think i've been linked to hear your daughter, haven't i Mr Pack? Pleasing talent. I'm shopping for an new arranger - if they use a recording format that indulges same, i could conceivably throw a chance @ a demo song her way to give her a credit/in.

Except for the climactic number (it's based on Alice in Wonderland and her trial is the biggy) i dont write the dances, but there are several group numbers. Remind me to remind you to remind me, d-dub. We're a long way off yet, even though i have two directors of musical-comedy movies in the family.
Very gracious offer.  I was mostly just having fun.  You have already done something for her.  You have worked on keeping the genre alive.  She loves musicals.  She has seen them all.  Every year she has two weeks off from dance.  During that time I send her and Mrs. DW to N.Y. to catch whatever Musical Theater they can. Some kids her age like the pop stars.  My little girl loves The Broadway Stars.  keep working to keep those footlights lit.

The older I get, the more I realize that Julie Andrews was easily the greatest performer in the history of musicals.

Users who are viewing this thread