What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Betsy Devos....probably going to need her own thread. (1 Viewer)

Devos family has announced they are no longer financially or politically supporting Congressman Justin Amash (the Republican who said Trump deserves to be impeached). 

For non-Michiganders, it is big because there probably isn't a Republican in Western Michigan in office who doesn't get the support and $$$ from the Devos family. They basically control the GOP in Michigan.
Can Amash still win reelection without Devos money?

Wait, wat?
The praise was effusive: 

”she has no real public school experience” which you meant as she can think outside the box

”she ran Michigan’s public schools into the ground” which I assume you meant as new ground aka progress, fertile soil, solid foundation, etc. 

“she’s a profiteer steering the system towards profit over academic progress” aka she’s good for the economy and will create jobs 

“She’s a total moron who knows nothing about education” which means she shows unprecedented room for growth. 

I tried to warn you people but you just couldn’t be convinced. 

Federal judge holds DeVos in contempt in loan case, slaps Education Department with $100,000 fine

A federal judge on Thursday held Education Secretary Betsy DeVos in contempt for violating an order to stop collecting loan payments from former Corinthian Colleges students.

Magistrate Judge Sallie Kim of the U.S. District Court in San Francisco slapped the Education Department with a $100,000 fine for violating a preliminary injunction. Money from the fine will be used to compensate the 16,000 people harmed by the federal agency’s actions. Some former students of the defunct for-profit college had their paychecks garnished. Others had their tax refunds seized by the federal government.

DeVos violated a court order to stop collecting on the debts of Corinthian College students. Now, they want her held in contempt.

“There is no question that the defendants violated the preliminary injunction. There is also no question that defendants’ violations harmed individual borrowers,” Kim wrote in her ruling Thursday. “Defendants have not provided evidence that they were unable to comply with the preliminary injunction, and the evidence shows only minimal efforts to comply.”

According to a 2019 report, about $1 billion in taxpayer dollars have been wasted on more than 1,000 charter schools that never opened, or opened and then closed because of mismanagement or other reasons. This trend has continued under DeVos’ watch, who has a long history of support for the for-profit charter industry, especially in her home state of Michigan. 

In our state alone, the Washington Postfound 63 charters that never opened despite receiving taxpayer funding — often in grants of more than $100,000 each. The concerns prompted a Michigan State Board of Education vote to stop distribution of federal grant funding to Michigan charter schools (approximately 80% of which are run by for-profit companies, the largest percentage of for-profit charters in the nation). However, due to federal rules from DeVos’ Department of Education, those grants had to flow anyway, despite the concerns over quality and oversight.

Prior to Tuesday’s State of the Union address, DeVos, in concert with President Trump, proposed a massive $9 billion cut to public school funding, aiming to divert money to vouchers programs to support private schools.

https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/contributors/2020/02/11/charter-school-trump-devos/4671551002/

Here we go, ramping up tax money meant for the public good and steering it towards profit. 

sho nuff said:
In the middle of this pandemic...with schools nationwide being in unprecedented upheaval.  Have we heard a thing from the Secretary of Education?
60 days of interest free forbearance on federal student loans 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2020/03/20/secretary-devos-announces-new-student-relief-due-to-coronavirus/amp/

Also she has allowed schools to forgo the usual spring high stakes testing this year and instead focus on whatever basic instruction they can manage

Last edited by a moderator:
You are an educator? Correct?

How donyou feel this is being handled on the local there? 
Yes I am and it’s going ok in Michigan. We were one of the first States to close our schools. Each district has been left to decide on their own how to handle it. Most districts are using volunteer staff to make sure kids have access to food. Our districts high schools are open each day for limited hours with prepackaged free meals for the community. As for education, some districts are doing on line learning and some are just providing links to resources but no instruction or graces. We are off until 4/13 but I think most people expect that to get extended. I understand doing it in chunks. The one issue is our Department of Ed is a bit dysfunctional. They met Friday and said anyone online schooling provided won’t count for school days so all this time will have to be made up. The governor has since responded saying she will meet with the MDE because she’s not happy with their plan. Of course their plan banks on us just missing the 3 weeks, it’s going to be something different altogether if it becomes 2-3 months. The MDE also was discussing paying hourly employees their normal rates during this time (my district is doing this anyway) but I believe that got shut down so they didn’t vote on it. Things are unclear and guidance would be nice but also I really don’t think school is all that important right now. 

Yes I am and it’s going ok in Michigan. We were one of the first States to close our schools. Each district has been left to decide on their own how to handle it. Most districts are using volunteer staff to make sure kids have access to food. Our districts high schools are open each day for limited hours with prepackaged free meals for the community. As for education, some districts are doing on line learning and some are just providing links to resources but no instruction or graces. We are off until 4/13 but I think most people expect that to get extended. I understand doing it in chunks. The one issue is our Department of Ed is a bit dysfunctional. They met Friday and said anyone online schooling provided won’t count for school days so all this time will have to be made up. The governor has since responded saying she will meet with the MDE because she’s not happy with their plan. Of course their plan banks on us just missing the 3 weeks, it’s going to be something different altogether if it becomes 2-3 months. The MDE also was discussing paying hourly employees their normal rates during this time (my district is doing this anyway) but I believe that got shut down so they didn’t vote on it. Things are unclear and guidance would be nice but also I really don’t think school is all that important right now. 
Good luck...our district just finished Spring break and are off til April 3rd so far...but really not as much communication yet on a plan going forward.  Expected as we just installed a new Superintendent who had to first deal woth the displacement from the tornadoes and now this right after.   Also the district has a pretty large Title 1 group so there are possibilities of people without computer or internet access at home.  That definitely makes it harder. 

Good luck...our district just finished Spring break and are off til April 3rd so far...but really not as much communication yet on a plan going forward.  Expected as we just installed a new Superintendent who had to first deal woth the displacement from the tornadoes and now this right after.   Also the district has a pretty large Title 1 group so there are possibilities of people without computer or internet access at home.  That definitely makes it harder. 
My current district is really organized and intelligent, they have done a great job being all over this IMO and their communication with staff and the community has been excellent. Where I worked prior, I hear it’s kind of a mess. They are much smaller and aren’t run as well. Apparently they have a total lack of communication.

Users who are viewing this thread