What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dear GOP Voters (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
You need to nominate anyone but Trump for 2024. I’m not saying this to be rude as I want this entire administration out as much as GOP voters, I’m saying this to get some of you guys out of the tunnel.

We all know Biden’s approval rating is garbage and this administration is awful. What I think is lost on some Trump voters is how much disdain there remains for Donald. Anyone else is a slam dunk landslide in the election, Trump is a tossup. Why chance it for DJT when you can have someone like Ron Desantis win in a blowout?

if you nominate DJT, there is a much higher risk of another 4 years of this disaster. If you nominate anyone else, this administration is gone.

It’s really that simple. 

You need to nominate anyone but Trump for 2024. I’m not saying this to be rude as I want this entire administration out as much as GOP voters, I’m saying this to get some of you guys out of the tunnel.

We all know Biden’s approval rating is garbage and this administration is awful. What I think is lost on some Trump voters is how much disdain there remains for Donald. Anyone else is a slam dunk landslide in the election, Trump is a tossup. Why chance it for DJT when you can have someone like Ron Desantis win in a blowout?

if you nominate DJT, there is a much higher risk of another 4 years of this disaster. If you nominate anyone else, this administration is gone.

It’s really that simple. 

the only thing Democrats can really run on in 2024 is "let's not allow Trump to be President again"

other than that, they've got zero wins as of right now IMO 

I'd prefer DeSantis in 2024 with a black man VP 

It’s really that simple. 
This is a joke right?   All we ever hear on this board, over and over, is the disdain for Trump. It literally is the only talking point the Democrats are going with.  CNN has a daily story about DJT....It's endless.

I don't want Trump as the GOP Nominee, but that statement is absurd.

I agree that a non-Trump Republican is very likely to win in 2024.  Right now, I'd probably put that person's odds at around 75% or so depending on exactly who that person is.  Then again, Trump himself is a slight favorite to beat Biden too, IMO.  

The party that is openly and explicitly uncommitted to democracy is strongly favored to win the upcoming midterms and also favored to retake the White House.  That seems worth pondering.

It’s really that simple. 
Imagine Trump and DeSantis going neck and neck throughout the primary. Trump will do his typical thing with attacking, lying and claiming rigged primary elections when he loses. 

Would diehard Trump supporters still come out to vote for DeSantis if Trump loses?

Imagine Trump and DeSantis going neck and neck throughout the primary. Trump will do his typical thing with attacking, lying and claiming rigged primary elections when he loses. 

Would diehard Trump supporters still come out to vote for DeSantis if Trump loses?
I think they would.   I believe a part of the reason for the Trump love is the absurdity that is the democratic party currently.  So if Trump did lose in a primary, there is enough disgust with the current administration the votes for the GOP would still be there.

I agree with this...the GOP is in a spot that was unthinkable a few years ago...the dems are tacking further and further left and I don't see that stopping, they have an unpopular President who is declining and a VP who is inept, they have no bench should they decide to go with someone other than Biden or Harris and the Hispanic vote is suddenly up for grabs...the only thing the dems would have going for them would be Trump and running on an anyone but Trump platform...take that away from them and they have little to run on and most likely an uninspiring candidate in 2024...Trump needs to step aside and anoint DeSantis and do what he did in Virginia with Youngkin which is give him support but not in an over-the-top way...as things stand right now a DeSantis/Scott ticket would be incredibly formidable and if it actually delivered it could change the electoral landscape for a generation.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that a non-Trump Republican is very likely to win in 2024.  Right now, I'd probably put that person's odds at around 75% or so depending on exactly who that person is.  Then again, Trump himself is a slight favorite to beat Biden too, IMO.  

The party that is openly and explicitly uncommitted to democracy is strongly favored to win the upcoming midterms and also favored to retake the White House.  That seems worth pondering.
I’m not far from your odds, and honestly, if the election was today, depending on the candidate, I think a non-Trump Republican is 80-90%. In 2.5 years inflation should be done and the economy will find its footing (on its own volition, without help of any of this administration’s policies), which brings the odds back down closer to where you are at that time.

You say slight favorite, I’m at tossup, why risk it? And it’s even more of a tossup if the economy rights itself by 2024.

Two of the first comments speak to what I’m saying.

"let'snot allow Trump to be President again"

While I’m sure he’s joking, most GOP voters don’t fully grasp that from a pure strategy standpoint, it’s their best strategy and it could work. The next comment thinks my statement is absurd. In my conversations, this is typical of the responses I hear.

It’s really simple, and I’m shocked a lot don’t see it. Don’t swallow the Trump poison pill. Trump is at best a slight favorite, someone like Ron would be an overwhelming favorite. Back the overwhelming favorite, period.

Pretty sure you were bagging on Biden for telling everyone he was going to nominate a black woman for the supreme court 

I did - let me edit to clarify

a black VP for DeSantis would get a lot of black votes. Doesn't matter if the guy is qualified, just eliminate all women and all whites and go with the person who can get you the votes you need

now, if that's not politically correct, then we need to call Biden out for saying it/doing it too ......... agreed? 

DeSantis fight against masks and vaccine mandates and Disney doesn't excite me much. Not as nuts as Trump but he is not the guy I would vote for. Many don't want the federal government  telling states what to do. I don't want states telling cities and school districts what to do.

I did - let me edit to clarify

a black VP for DeSantis would get a lot of black votes. Doesn't matter if the guy is qualified, just eliminate all women and all whites and go with the person who can get you the votes you need

now, if that's not politically correct, then we need to call Biden out for saying it/doing it too ......... agreed? 
Why not pick the best person for the job?

Why not pick the best person for the job?

I think we know that's not reality. 

Why did Biden pick Kamala? Ketanji Brown? Why did Obama pick Biden? Trump Pence? GW Cheney?

Very often political - to get a certain state/EC's ... or to sway a certain demographic to get votes etc. I thought everyone knew that ? 

My problem with Biden/Democrats is they pretend to be the champions of fair and equal, squashing out sexism and racism and truth it, they're the biggest racists/sexists in the room IMO. 

Anyway, GOP needs a strong conservative black candidate to grab a large portion of black votes IMO. 

My biggest complaint about DeSantis is whenever he tries to emulate Trump. Trump is one of a kind, and that should be a warning, not an example. I’m also not thrilled with trying to force counties and cities to kowtow to the state. Local leaders have a better idea of how to improve their communities than someone who has been to the area maybe 3 times? 

My biggest complaint about DeSantis is whenever he tries to emulate Trump. Trump is one of a kind, and that should be a warning, not an example. I’m also not thrilled with trying to force counties and cities to kowtow to the state. Local leaders have a better idea of how to improve their communities than someone who has been to the area maybe 3 times? 

Not sure what I will do next election. I did not vote for Trump nor will I if he runs again.  I voted for Biden but would never vote for Biden ever again.

Desantis is much smarter politically than Trump. If Pence modified a couple of his views he would be a good choice, much smarter and sharper than Biden and Trump.

Pence with an Indian woman ticket.

I felt very similarly in 2016 about both Trump and Hillary, but we ended up with the worst possible election in the history of elections...and that includes those 3rd world farcical elections in South America and Africa.  (OK, that may be hyperbole, but you get my point...it was an awful pair of candidates)

The problem is, similar to the book Catch-22, the best candidate for the job is partly qualified because they don't want to do the job.  Those that want to do the job are automatically less qualified because they want it.

We need to have compulsory service where candidates are nominated by some kind of Presidential search board and made to comply with taking the job, a conscription service but for the Presidency.  We'd get good people capable of doing the job well for a change instead of egomaniacs and narcissists.

I felt very similarly in 2016 about both Trump and Hillary, but we ended up with the worst possible election in the history of elections...and that includes those 3rd world farcical elections in South America and Africa.  (OK, that may be hyperbole, but you get my point...it was an awful pair of candidates)

The problem is, similar to the book Catch-22, the best candidate for the job is partly qualified because they don't want to do the job.  Those that want to do the job are automatically less qualified because they want it.

We need to have compulsory service where candidates are nominated by some kind of Presidential search board and made to comply with taking the job, a conscription service but for the Presidency.  We'd get good people capable of doing the job well for a change instead of egomaniacs and narcissists.
Although, to be honest, the entire concept would be deemed unconstitutional due to the 8th Amendment.

Things have predictably swung in Republicans' favor in 2022 since the Democrats won in 2020.

Likewise, things will predictably swing in Democrats' favor in 2024 following the Republican wave in 2022.

"If the 2024 election were held today" doesn't matter.

In the election to be held in 2024, Trump would be a significant underdog to any Democrat. Another Republican would be a toss-up.

Things have predictably swung in Republicans' favor in 2022 since the Democrats won in 2020.

Likewise, things will predictably swing in Democrats' favor in 2024 following the Republican wave in 2022.

"If the 2024 election were held today" doesn't matter.

In the election to be held in 2024, Trump would be a significant underdog to any Democrat. Another Republican would be a toss-up.

On the fence on that one.  Best case for the country is Trump and Biden both not running.  There is no way I want Trump running, and Biden just can`t be POTUS from age 82-86 as he is too old now.

Not sure what I will do next election. I did not vote for Trump nor will I if he runs again.  I voted for Biden but would never vote for Biden ever again.

Desantis is much smarter politically than Trump. If Pence modified a couple of his views he would be a good choice, much smarter and sharper than Biden and Trump.

Pence with an Indian woman ticket.
I voted for Biden because Trump was that bad of a candidate(voted 3rd party in 16), but I’m not seeing much in the way of promise from either side.

I think they would.   I believe a part of the reason for the Trump love is the absurdity that is the democratic party currently.  So if Trump did lose in a primary, there is enough disgust with the current administration the votes for the GOP would still be there.
You do realize there is absurdity in much of the GOP party as well, right?   

I mean the very idea that we can have a guy that openly tried to overturn the presidential election have the support of not a few but majority of a major political party was unfathomable before DJT. 

Don't like what the Democratic party is doing?  Fine and I might go right along with you but putting up one of the most despicable politicians of our time up for re-election?   Hell no, that is pretty much the only thing that will get me to vote for a Democrat in 2024.

Still a LOOOONNNNGGGG way to go.  Biden isn't even half way through his term.  Assuming that he's gonna lose the next election, if he runs, is 50/50 at best.

Inflation will likely improve in the next year.  Other than inflation, I'm having a hard time finding something so horribly bad that Biden would automatically lose to any Republican, much less DJT....

You do realize there is absurdity in much of the GOP party as well, right?   

I mean the very idea that we can have a guy that openly tried to overturn the presidential election have the support of not a few but majority of a major political party was unfathomable before DJT. 

Don't like what the Democratic party is doing?  Fine and I might go right along with you but putting up one of the most despicable politicians of our time up for re-election?   Hell no, that is pretty much the only thing that will get me to vote for a Democrat in 2024.
Understood.  And yes, there is absurdity in the GOP as well.  But that wasn't what I was responding to.

Still a LOOOONNNNGGGG way to go.  Biden isn't even half way through his term.  Assuming that he's gonna lose the next election, if he runs, is 50/50 at best.

Inflation will likely improve in the next year.  Other than inflation, I'm having a hard time finding something so horribly bad that Biden would automatically lose to any Republican, much less DJT....
This is what the Biden admin believes as well, and this is why they will get trounced. You would have thought the VA Gov loss was a wake-up call but they keep doubling down.

This is what the Biden admin believes as well, and this is why they will get trounced. You would have thought the VA Gov loss was a wake-up call but they keep doubling down.

Biden may get trounced by another Republican candidate but not Trump.   If we get these two again it is going to go down to the wire.  You would have thought the Republican party would have figured out that DJT as a candidate is a liability.   

I generally agree with the OP but with two caveats: 

1. 2024 is a long way off. Biden, or whoever the Democrat running, may be a lot more popular by then. Or not. We just don’t know. 

2. Nobody is going to crush anybody in 2024. There are too many states that are either strongly blue or strongly red. It still will come down to a handful of states either way. If Biden runs again, even if his popularity is as low as it is now, he would still have a very decent chance of being re-elected simply because of the electoral situation we find ourselves in. 

Also, please stop believing in, and perpetuating Qanon, stop failing to denounce white nationalism,  please stop voting for Majorie Taylor Green, Lauren Bobert and Matt Gaetz and other wackadoo extremists, please stop accusing democrats of being “pro-pedophelia, and for God’s sake, please stop tanning your ####.

And De Santis is probably the best choice for the Republicans for a very simple reason: he wins Florida. That’s half the battle for the election right there. 

As of right now the GOP will win in 2024 no matter who the nominee is.  The dry run to overthrow the election has been a complete success.  Collusion with violent militias to attack the Capitol, fake electors, screams of fraud without evidence, have netted - zero- members of congress with repercussion.  The blue print is just being refined at this point and any point to stop it is shouted down with whataboutism. 

And De Santis is probably the best choice for the Republicans for a very simple reason: he wins Florida. That’s half the battle for the election right there. 
Florida is a pretty solidly red state at this point.  Not red like Mississippi, but red enough that any Republican who loses Florida is getting trounced pretty handily in the electoral college and those 30 electoral votes almost certainly won't be the margin of defeat.

Biden may get trounced by another Republican candidate but not Trump.   If we get these two again it is going to go down to the wire.  You would have thought the Republican party would have figured out that DJT as a candidate is a liability.   
I guarantee you that most Republicans know perfectly well that he is a liability and that, all things being equal, anyone else would have a better chance.  They would absolutely prefer DJT not run again.

The problem is two fold.  1. The Republican party doesn't get to decide whether DJT runs again.  2. All things aren't equal.  Specifically, the GOP is terrified that if DJT does run and loses a primary, that he'll take his ball and go home, and the MAGA crowd will go with him.

No GOP candidate would have a chance, not even against Biden, if DJT runs as an independent, and they know it.

This is good posting.  Trump isn't trouncing anybody in a general.  He won't win the popular vote, which means it's gonna have to be the inside straight in the electoral college.  It's possible, but it's not going to be a "trouncing"

He has a backbone and will stand and fight unlike many Rs , very much like DJT himself 

Florida is a pretty solidly red state at this point.  Not red like Mississippi, but red enough that any Republican who loses Florida is getting trounced pretty handily in the electoral college and those 30 electoral votes almost certainly won't be the margin of defeat.
I agree that if Republicans lose Florida, they lose the election. 
But as to whether it’s “solidly red”- I’m not convinced. Obama won it in 2008 and 2012, Trump won in 2016 and 2020. Each time it was close; each time it came down to Latino turnout in Miami, which at the moment is trending Republican. But I’m not convinced yet that this is a permanent thing. 

He has a backbone and will stand and fight unlike many Rs , very much like DJT himself 
I wasn’t commenting on his skills. Personally I think he is an awful, opportunistic guy and I question his “backbone” (though he would be a far better President than Trump based on competence alone.) 

He has a lot in common with Trump, just not as gonzo and way more intelligent. I believe he's extremely self-serving, just not to the point (I hope) of criminality. I sure won't vote for him, but if it's DeSantis v. Biden, at least I won't feel like I'm enabling existential harm by leaving the top of my ballot blank.

Other than inflation, I'm having a hard time finding something so horribly bad that Biden would automatically lose to any Republican, much less DJT....
To start, send Joe Manchin a thank you note for torpedoing BBB. Think inflation is bad now, if this administration had its way, an extra $3T would’ve been some superb gasoline on the fire.

The Afghanistan withdrawal might be the biggest military failure to date in the 21st century. You could argue 9/11, but I believe we should hash out operational and intelligence failures as separate. We left them some top notch equipment, an excellent Air Force base, and all of those precious resources China will soon control. This is a country we had absolutely locked down. Yea, that was excellent work!

As a recent South FL transplant, in the most liberal county of South FL, you’d be shocked at how much the Dems are losing the Hispanic base they actually think is strong. You think they like cheap illegal labor coming in? Whose work do you think they’re stealing? Immigration and the border policies are a disaster and the legal Hispanic community isn’t thrilled about that.

I can go on, but if you think he isn’t doing bad, we’re too far apart.

The only positive thing I feel he has done was strengthening NATO. But with that, Russia only attacked bc our military looked like a laughing stock (see my 2nd paragraph).

I wasn’t commenting on his skills. Personally I think he is an awful, opportunistic guy and I question his “backbone” (though he would be a far better President than Trump based on competence alone.) 

If you're saying that DeSantis is more competent than Trump, I agree.

If you're saying that greater competence will lead to better presidenting, I'm not convinced.

Ben Wittes characterized Trump's presidency as "malevolence tempered by incompetence." I think there's something to that. If Trump had been more competent, he might have succeeded in ending American democracy.

If DeSantis has similar goals, I don't think his greater competence counts as a point in his favor.

I would vote for DeSantis over Trump not because he is more competent, but because he seems to have less personal charm and charisma (in the eyes of the Republican base). I tentatively suspect that personal charisma is an even worse, more dangerous trait than competence.

To start, send Joe Manchin a thank you note for torpedoing BBB. Think inflation is bad now, if this administration had its way, an extra $3T would’ve been some superb gasoline on the fire.

The Afghanistan withdrawal might be the biggest military failure to date in the 21st century. You could argue 9/11, but I believe we should hash out operational and intelligence failures as separate. We left them some top notch equipment, an excellent Air Force base, and all of those precious resources China will soon control. This is a country we had absolutely locked down. Yea, that was excellent work!

As a recent South FL transplant, in the most liberal county of South FL, you’d be shocked at how much the Dems are losing the Hispanic base they actually think is strong. You think they like cheap illegal labor coming in? Whose work do you think they’re stealing? Immigration and the border policies are a disaster and the legal Hispanic community isn’t thrilled about that.

I can go on, but if you think he isn’t doing bad, we’re too far apart.

The only positive thing I feel he has done was strengthening NATO. But with that, Russia only attacked bc our military looked like a laughing stock (see my 2nd paragraph).
I didn't say he was doing a great job.  I said I didn't see anything so disastrous that he would AUTOMATICALLY lose.  People really care about their pocketbook, so inflation is a big deal.  People aren't going to vote somebody out based on Afghanistan or illegal immigration.  

Users who are viewing this thread