What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Useless Football Trivia Question (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
It's been forevah since I tossed out one of these.

What is the record for most teams to come out of the same division to make the playoffs? Which division, which year, how many teams, which teams?

Go.

I know four teams made it one year before they went to 4 divisions.  I think it was the NFC Central.  Couldn't tell you the year, must have been early 90's though because it was before I was into FF.

I know four teams made it one year before they went to 4 divisions.  I think it was the NFC Central.  Couldn't tell you the year, must have been early 90's though because it was before I was into FF.
Pretty sure that was 93, senior year in high school (near Detroit) 

nope, I'm wrong that was 3.  94-95, freshman year was 4

Last edited by a moderator:
1997 GB, TB, DET, MIN

The answer is definitely 4 and the division is definitely the NFC Central. Amazingly, it happened THREE TIMES.

1997: GBP (13-3), TBB (10-6), DET (9-7), MIN (9-7)
1994: MIN (10-6), GBP (9-7), DET (9-7), CHI (9-7)
1982: GBP (5-3-1), MIN (5-4), TBB (5-4), DET (4-5)

The 1982 strike shortened season featured 16 playoff teams (out of 28 teams in the league). No team had a bye, and there were 8 games on wild card weekend (4 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday). I remember it well, as I spent the entire weekend only watching football.

The 1982 strike-shortened season had no divisions after the strike that year, so those happened to be 4 teams in the NFC conference.

The answer is definitely 4 and the division is definitely the AFC North. Amazingly, it happened THREE TIMES.

1997: GBP (13-3), TBB (10-6), DET (9-7), MIN (9-7)
1994: MIN (10-6), GBP (9-7), DET (9-7), CHI (9-7)
1982: GBP (5-3-1), MIN (5-4), TBB (5-4), DET (4-5)

The 1982 strike shortened season featured 16 playoff teams (out of 28 teams in the league). No team had a bye, and there were 8 games on wild card weekend (4 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday). I remember it well, as I spent the entire weekend only watching football.
Yes. DEFINATELY the AFC.....NORTH......

Only 4 times in the last 20 years has the super bowl not featured at least 1 #1 seed.

1997:  Packers vs Broncos (top seeds were Chiefs and 49ers)

2008: Steelers vs Cardinals (top seeds were Titans and Giants)

2010: Packers vs Steelers (top seeds were Patriots and Falcons)

2012; Ravens vs 49ers (top seeds were Broncos and Falcons)

The Falcons actually had the #1 seed twice this decade and couldn't cash in.  Had they won the Super Bowl in one of those years, they would be looking to enter the conversation as team of the decade with a win next week.

Only 4 times in the last 20 years has the super bowl not featured at least 1 #1 seed.

1997:  Packers vs Broncos (top seeds were Chiefs and 49ers)

2008: Steelers vs Cardinals (top seeds were Titans and Giants)

2010: Packers vs Steelers (top seeds were Patriots and Falcons)

2012; Ravens vs 49ers (top seeds were Broncos and Falcons)

The Falcons actually had the #1 seed twice this decade and couldn't cash in.  Had they won the Super Bowl in one of those years, they would be looking to enter the conversation as team of the decade with a win next week.
Conversation maybe but the pats are the team of the 10s.

Users who are viewing this thread