Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Heatman

*** Minnesota Vikings: #2019

So if Vikings have to cut someone, I can only think of three guys who would be on the list...… LT Reiff (eek then who plays that position?), RDE Griffen? and TE Rudolph?  I hope a few vets take on some cap relief deal so we can fit everyone in.

1 minute ago, CanadianNFLJunkie said:

So if Vikings have to cut someone, I can only think of three guys who would be on the list...… LT Reiff (eek then who plays that position?), RDE Griffen? and TE Rudolph?  I hope a few vets take on some cap relief deal so we can fit everyone in.

Listening to Rick he seemed completely unconcerned about the cap situation. He said they have had this planned since January.

If Reiff were gone then they might move ONeil to the left side and Hill would be the right tackle. They do have some other players who can compete there, Avantae Collins would likely be the next guy up. He can play tackle or guard. Udoh is a long term project. Samia could play right tackle but they need him at guard. Reiffs contract doesn't really increase from where it is though and they are past the point where dead money is an issue. It really just depends on if he plays well or not.

This is partly why I was targeting offensive tackles in the draft, thinking ahead, but they didn't get one. I do really like the players they did get in Bradbury, Smith and Samia who might all be starters soon.

I was reading the other day that if the Vikings were to trade Treadwell before a certain date they could save 1$1.8 million. Maybe that is the plan? I suppose some team might give up a 7th round pick for him maybe?

That would be enough money to sign Bradbury.

They don't really have to do anything right now except for make enough room for Bradburys contract. They might be able to do that with some other smaller moves as well.

• Like 1

Good points.  I read somewhere there's a Tackle who played in Atlanta? last year who is a free agent.  We were interested in him before the draft and he's still free and apparently most likely a cheaper equal value move for us to potentially make, but who knows

Apparently we have just Bradbury and our long-snapping 7th rounder to sign, which is always nice to see everyone (soon I HOPE) under contract.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CanadianNFLJunkie said:

Good points.  I read somewhere there's a Tackle who played in Atlanta? last year who is a free agent.  We were interested in him before the draft and he's still free and apparently most likely a cheaper equal value move for us to potentially make, but who knows

Apparently we have just Bradbury and our long-snapping 7th rounder to sign, which is always nice to see everyone (soon I HOPE) under contract.  

Yeah IIRC they were late to sign their rookies last year for some reason which is unusual.

On 5/5/2019 at 7:17 AM, Biabreakable said:

I was reading the other day that if the Vikings were to trade Treadwell before a certain date they could save 1$1.8 million. Maybe that is the plan? I suppose some team might give up a 7th round pick for him maybe?

That would be enough money to sign Bradbury.

They don't really have to do anything right now except for make enough room for Bradburys contract. They might be able to do that with some other smaller moves as well.

If the Vikings were to cut Treadwell, would they save the same amount under the cap? If so, that seems like a real possibility if they can't trade him. At this point I'd be extremely surprised if anyone was willing to give anything up for him.

1 hour ago, -arcK- said:

If the Vikings were to cut Treadwell, would they save the same amount under the cap? If so, that seems like a real possibility if they can't trade him. At this point I'd be extremely surprised if anyone was willing to give anything up for him.

That I am not sure about.

I would assume they can however if they are able to do so through a trade. 

I would be a bit surprised as well. Although Treadwell is still a very young player. Maybe another team has interest in him.

This reminds me of something that Rick also said when he was asked if age is a factor in their decision making process for rookies.

I am not sure if Rick understood the question, but his reaction to if age was a factor in their decisions he said not at all. He then goes on to say that a player being so young doesn't really matter to him.

I think the reporter asking the question was more trying to find out if the Vikings value younger players over older ones. Rick took the question to be if they would pass on a player because they are too young, and that they don't re4ally consider that.

Just something I found interesting with all the folks around here being interested in things like break out age. The Vikings have data for their analytics stretching back to 2005, but based on his response, break out age is not something they place value on.

Maybe they should? Or maybe they have found that it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

This reminds me of something that Rick also said when he was asked if age is a factor in their decision making process for rookies.

I am not sure if Rick understood the question, but his reaction to if age was a factor in their decisions he said not at all. He then goes on to say that a player being so young doesn't really matter to him.

I think the reporter asking the question was more trying to find out if the Vikings value younger players over older ones. Rick took the question to be if they would pass on a player because they are too young, and that they don't re4ally consider that.

Just something I found interesting with all the folks around here being interested in things like break out age. The Vikings have data for their analytics stretching back to 2005, but based on his response, break out age is not something they place value on.

Maybe they should? Or maybe they have found that it doesn't matter.

It would be fascinating to see their analytics process. Seems to me they tend to prioritize guys with impressive athletic profiles first, with the hopes that they can coach them up. But every once in a while they'll grab a guy who is more an average Joe that is just a solid football player. I haven't been able to determine an age bias, but then again I've had a tough time every year figuring out who they'll value in the draft. I can come up with a list of guys who might fit their schemes, but then determining how they tier them is practically impossible.

The only thing I know for sure... Spielman is aware of the lottery nature of the draft and realizes that more picks means a better chance of hitting. I see teams like the Saints trading away picks and coming out with only 5 players and I cringe. A class that small has a very good chance of being a dud when you look back a few years later.

Treadwell has become a head case who is unreliable with the hands even when he runs a route correctly and gets separation. I feel like we've seen this movie before (Cordarrelle) and you just need to cut bait sometimes. I've never been a fan.

• Like 1

Patterson from what I remember was a JC transfer who went to Tennessee wasn't it, and he was there for 1 year.  Treadwell had 3 years in college and had impressive numbers.  Seems to me Patterson was a specimen of an athlete but was very raw.  Treadwell to me lacks confidence and unless Diggs or Thielen are injured and miss a lot of time, he'll never shine here, therefore a change of scenery for him is going to happen to him in 2020