What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Team Thread (6 Viewers)

Case is who we thought he was.  :yucky:

Guess we will now find out it the Murray signing was good or not as he will be more than likely the "starter" the rest of the season.... 

Only good news today was a report once again that Teddy "should" be ready to go by week 7. 
All three would rate out as decent backups a best. We knew CK was a back up and was signed as such. I would think Murray might be ok, but if he was anything remotely special, we would have seen him a lot more before Cook got hurt. Teddy hasn't played in what a year and a half? We're only a game out and a full slate of division games to go, so who knows. But I'm not holding my breath.

The defense and Bradford eventually getting back will win them enough games to not stink. All 3 QBs are UFAs, so if Bridgewater or Bradford take a reasonable salary and stay to bridge the gap for the new guy, looking ahead to late first in the draft, who do we go for?

All three would rate out as decent backups a best. We knew CK was a back up and was signed as such. I would think Murray might be ok, but if he was anything remotely special, we would have seen him a lot more before Cook got hurt. Teddy hasn't played in what a year and a half? We're only a game out and a full slate of division games to go, so who knows. But I'm not holding my breath.

The defense and Bradford eventually getting back will win them enough games to not stink. All 3 QBs are UFAs, so if Bridgewater or Bradford take a reasonable salary and stay to bridge the gap for the new guy, looking ahead to late first in the draft, who do we go for?
If they resign Teddy( who is only 24) why the heck would they draft a QB in the 1st round? :confused:
I just don't see them signing Teddy to a new contract, and then turning around and draft a QB in the 1st round.

So either they resign Teddy and he is the future, or they resign Bradford as a gap, let Teddy test the market and draft for the future.

If they resign Teddy( who is only 24) why the heck would they draft a QB in the 1st round? :confused:
I just don't see them signing Teddy to a new contract, and then turning around and draft a QB in the 1st round.

So either they resign Teddy and he is the future, or they resign Bradford as a gap, let Teddy test the market and draft for the future.
Just my own thoughts as maybe they're not convinced that he's the "Answer"... I know a bird in the hand, and they know what they have in him. Is the organization sold on him as a Super Bowl QB?

Sadly, we are going to be lucky to be a.500 team this year with the injuries.  That's reality.

As for future, Teddy had not proven himself a true franchise QB before the injury--he had showed some promise but was inconsistent.  I will be very surprised if he can come back after that injury with no preseason and prove that he is worth investing in as a franchise QB. I doubt anyone else will sign him as a starter--certainly not a long term deal with big money.  

Bradford has shown more promise IMO but the guy has never been able to stay healthy.

I think we need to go with a QB next year and hand it over to him to grow with the team.  You can't win a championship in this league anymore without a top 10 QB and we don't have one and the only way to get one is in the draft.  

The only other possibility would be to sign Drew Brees.  There is a good chance he will leave NO and he would like to go to a team that has a shot.  In that case, I would draft a great Left Tackle to protect him, and our Defense, a recovered Cook, Brees and our pretty good receivers could compete.  

Sadly, we are going to be lucky to be a.500 team this year with the injuries.  That's reality.

As for future, Teddy had not proven himself a true franchise QB before the injury--he had showed some promise but was inconsistent.  I will be very surprised if he can come back after that injury with no preseason and prove that he is worth investing in as a franchise QB. I doubt anyone else will sign him as a starter--certainly not a long term deal with big money.  

Bradford has shown more promise IMO but the guy has never been able to stay healthy.

I think we need to go with a QB next year and hand it over to him to grow with the team.  You can't win a championship in this league anymore without a top 10 QB and we don't have one and the only way to get one is in the draft.  

The only other possibility would be to sign Drew Brees.  There is a good chance he will leave NO and he would like to go to a team that has a shot.  In that case, I would draft a great Left Tackle to protect him, and our Defense, a recovered Cook, Brees and our pretty good receivers could compete.  
damn, I like that idea.

I can see us offering Teddy a lovely 1 yr contract loaded with incentives as we draft a QB in round 1.  I can see Teddy taking the offer, perhaps after he tries to go around the NFL or taking the home-town deal. 

If that fails then we'll probably go after someone like an AJ McCarren who I believe is an unrestricted free agent but his stock might be high as a team like Cleveland with Hue (IF he's still there) pushing for him.

Shurmur on Replacing Cook, Floyd's Impact, O-Line's Play

Not too much said here that we don't already know. He talks about Murray and McKinnon getting a larger role and also talks about what they have seen from Ridley so far. In regards to Ridley that he has to learn fast to be able to contribute.

He says Sam Bradford practiced and that he expects him to practice today (will check on that later). Doesn't mean that Bradford will start, but at least he is practicing, so its progress towards him being able to start again.

getting Brees that is.
If Brees does leave NO, I can't imagine too many teams that wouldn't back up a Brinks truck to his front door to get him on their roster or Brees not wanting to go to the highest Bidder. He has a ring, so the one last chance for glory ala Peyton angle is out.

Awesome idea though. Zimmer's excellent reputation, the WRs they have, Cook coming back, Mckiinon as a more than serviceable backup/breather/change of pace, great defense, it seems like the missing piece is the Super Bowl quality QB. Maybe a repeat (minus the ending) of the Favre year?

Last night's first half was BRUTAL!!!!   :wall:   I could tell Sam wasn't ready..... thankfully Zim was able to use a banged up knee as an excuse to pull him.  Not exactly sure what type of practicing Sam was doing during the week but he was off, poorly.  Going forward, looks like McKinnon will be the work-horse even though Murray had some nice hard runs inside.

This story has gotten more play than I expected it to. Zimmer says he is a Minnesotan so Grey Duck. I saw a graphic that shows Minnesota as the only state to play this game this way, all other states say Goose.

If anyone hears about if Diggs practiced today, myself and others would like to know.

Diggs did play on 70% of the snaps and did come back in to the game following the massage on the trainers table, so that is a good sign of the injury only being minor. We have seen Diggs play a lot as a decoy when hurt before though, and he wasn't used much in the game Monday despite playing 70% of the snaps.

Wow, quality analysis.  8:30 both Right and Left tackle holding while Rodgers escapes to his left to complete a pass.  Rodgers is too good to allow this much time.  #### you NFL.
I enjoyed it. Thought it was pretty good.

The guy does some nice work. My favorite is still his video about Harrison Smith.

What’s going on with Danielle Hunter? Invisible in the boxscore save one game this year. He just missing on on getting to the QB or has his game downgraded some being in the game a lot more?

What’s going on with Danielle Hunter? Invisible in the boxscore save one game this year. He just missing on on getting to the QB or has his game downgraded some being in the game a lot more?
He has a lot of pressures and playing well against the run too.

For example in the clips above of Harrison Smith, Hunter likely would have gotten the sack there but Smith just got there a tick quicker than Hunter did.

This happens with all pass rushers. They will get hurries and force the QB into other defenders who get the stats in the box score. Then in later games that ends up being reversed.

I have no problems with how Hunter has played, he is doing well.

On one of Trubisky's scrambles against the Bears Hunter takes a bad pursuit angle but is so fast he got to him anyways.

I enjoyed it. Thought it was pretty good.

The guy does some nice work. My favorite is still his video about Harrison Smith.

Yes, the one where he compares him to Troy Polamalu.  He produces some good vids.

It will be really interesting to see what they do with Sloter if/when Teddy comes back. None of the QBs have a contract past this year (maybe Keenum but not sure) so if they like long term potential of Sloter they may not want to risk losing him - could IR Bradford?

Moved this over from the Diggs thread (deleted my post) because it's a better discussion for this one.

Am I wrong to think the Vikings sans Diggs are not nearly as potent? I know Case Keenum is not the same turnover machine he was in L.A. but I don't see him making plays. Can McKinnon continue his hot streak and get 20-22 touches? Is Rudolph ever getting back to what he was last year? Can Thielen be a true WR1 with Floyd also banged up (did well v. GB)?

Anyway, I like the Ravens DT in this matchup.

Moved this over from the Diggs thread (deleted my post) because it's a better discussion for this one.

Am I wrong to think the Vikings sans Diggs are not nearly as potent? I know Case Keenum is not the same turnover machine he was in L.A. but I don't see him making plays. Can McKinnon continue his hot streak and get 20-22 touches? Is Rudolph ever getting back to what he was last year? Can Thielen be a true WR1 with Floyd also banged up (did well v. GB)?

Anyway, I like the Ravens DT in this matchup.
I answered in the Diggs thread here.

Good questions though and I would be curious to hear other peoples thoughts on them.

Nice to get the win today.. :thumbup:

but dam, Keenum had at least 3 throws that should have been INT's.. I think the coordinator and Zimmer saw those throws which is why they rode Murrary, McKinnon and the Defense.

Going to need better QB play if we want to challenge for the NFC Crown.

Glad to get a win of course but overall I was pretty disapointed with how the Vikings played today.

The defense was pretty good for most of the game, but then just wilts and makes mistakes on the last drive. I don't like them getting into that habit it seems. Will cost this team when in close game with those habits.

I hope Riley Reiff's injury is not serious. He has been playing very well for the Vikings so far.

Sirles also injured but Isodora came in and made some good blocks, not sure there was any fall off there.

Murray had two big runs where the offensive line opened some big holes for him. He is pretty fast once he gets going. He didn't do anything special on those plays though.

McKinnon missed some opportunities with bad vision/decision making. Particularly on a screen left later in the game I thought if he just followed Isadora instead of cutting back inside he could have had another 10-15 yards.

Kyle Rudolph went out of bounds twice when if he would cut the play back inside extra yards were there. I also saw some shoddy effort on his part on blocks that is nothing new.

The team just didn't play very inspired football in my opinion aside from the defense early on in the game. Once they had a big lead that effort seemed to fall off as well.

Theilen and Wright made plays. Treadwell made a few as well but the volley ball action leading to the interception was a terrible play on his part.

Last edited by a moderator:
This team needs Bradford back soon. That happens, they can compete with anyone in the NFC drive for a chance at the big one at home. A healthy Cooks would have helped tremendously too, but I think Bradford in there makes McKinnon and Murray decent if not spectacular. The defense can carry the team for stretches but only so far.

Not really sure you can take anything from that last drive from Baltimore.. Vikings were up 2 TD's plus Ravens would need one 2 Point conversion, and they'd need that in 4 minutes. IMO.. The defense did exactly what they needed to do there.. Not give up any big plays and make the Ravens use up the clock.. Sure they gave up the TD, but that was with no time left on the clock so thought they played the end game very well. :shrug:

Murray had two big runs where the offensive line opened some big holes for him. He is pretty fast once he gets going. He didn't do anything special on those plays though.

Um, he nearly broke the safety's ankles on that TD run.

Um, he nearly broke the safety's ankles on that TD run.
The play where he scores is at the 1:48 mark of these clips.

The Vikings have a tight bunch on the left side of their formation with a WR offscreen to the right. Murray is in the dot.

Suggs attacks hard to the inside and Ridolph is able to ride him out of the hole before Murray arrives to it. This is the key block and Rudolph does a good job here but Suggs pursuit works against him here. Adam Theilen blocks Weddle and Wright blocks his man preventing them from filling the hole and creating the crease for Murray to run through. 98 gets the double team block from Reif and Isidora at the point of attack. Reif only helps Isadora briefly before getting on the middle linebacker CJ Mosley. Reif gets a very effective block on Mosley and while Isidora doesn't block 98 for long, it is enough that he is too slow in pursuit to get to Murray before he breaks through the line.

The corner 22 JImmy Smith who is unblocked takes a bad angle to the ball, he could have filled, but he stays to the outside for contain outside of Jarius Wright and the two receivers blocking their guys on the left side screen him off from being able to attack the hole.He takes a bad angle and is too close to the line but on the outside when Murray comes through, putting him in a bad spot chasing Murray from behind on the play.

Murray cuts the play to the left when Smith is behind him, Murray is running full speed by this point after being able to hit this run straight from the dot. The other safety Tony Jefferson reacts to this move to the outside and over pursues it. then falls down when Murray shifts to run it straight instead of continuing with the outside angle. As he is falling down he tries to reach an arm out but his momentum is going in the opposite direction so get gets no force behind his attempted arm tackle at all with his bodys momentum still going to the left (his right). Jefferson does touch Murrays right knee as he is falling down which causes Murray to stumble as he is running forward, Murray ends up leaping forward into the end zone after this because he is losing his balance from the tap on his knee.

It was the only TD the Vikings scored today, I am happy they scored, and it was a good run, but it really wasn't an exceptional move on Murrays part in my opinion. It was more due to mistakes by the defense and very good blocking by the Vikings.

I think Murrays run at the 38 second mark of the clips is more impressive than this. Murray changes direction after pressing the left side, this play is really well blocked as well with Berger and Isidora getting blocks on the LBers at the second level early on in the play (about the time when Murray stops then cuts the run back to the right). He gets some luck that a Ravens defender blocks 90 on the backside of the play (90 was making sure Keenum didn't keep the ball before pursuing back to Murray) but Murray reads the opening and is able to get to it on the right side. Murray then weaves behind the blocks of Treadwell and Wright, stuff arms Jefferson in the face knocking him down to the ground, then gets behind Theilen who is blocking downfield on rookie cornerback Humphrey for extra yards. This play Murray demonstrates more skill on his part than the TD, which was more just Murray hitting the hole full speed, cutting to the left then running straight forward after Jefferson over pursues and takes himself out of the play.

Users who are viewing this thread