What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Team Thread (8 Viewers)

So Mack gets $90m guaranteed but the Vikes are crazy for paying Cousins $84m?
Well in fairness Mack is a top 5 overall defensive player.  Cousins is an above average QB.  I don’t see the similarity 

To add to that, Mack was the 2016 DPOY.  Cousins barely cracked the top 100 of NFL players.  

I like Cousins and I’m glad the Vikings signed him, but there is no comparison between the 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in fairness Mack is a top 5 overall defensive player.  Cousins is an above average QB.  I don’t see the similarity 

To add to that, Mack was the 2016 DPOY.  Cousins barely cracked the top 100 of NFL players.  

I like Cousins and I’m glad the Vikings signed him, but there is no comparison between the 2
That wasn't the argument when Cousins signed his deal. It was the fully guaranteed-ness.

cap'n grunge said:
Seems heavy at RB, thin at WR, OL, and especially LB. DB are clearly a strong group.
Yeah they have kept a 5th RB instead of a 6th WR. I was wondering what they would do here as both Boone and Thomas looked good during preseason and likely would not be safe on practice squad.

I liked what Chad Bebe did during preseason, but I guess it wasn't enough. I hope he ends up on the practice squad.

I was somewhat surprised that Center Edison did not make the final cut. I thought he played well. I am sure they are keeping the best 9 linemen though.

The LB group gets stronger when Brothers comes back off suspension (maybe)  I wasn't very impressed with how he played in preseason. I thought Eric Wilson looked the best besides Kendricks. They also have Iloka who can play in a LB role in 3 safety packages. Zimmer loves his nickle and other subpackages.

I am guessing Newman might not have made the team due to the excellent depth at corner and safety right now. This would be related to his decision to retire.

So Mack gets $90m guaranteed but the Vikes are crazy for paying Cousins $84m?
I don't recall a lot of crazy talk. Just that Cousins deal was record breaking. It didn't take very long for other contracts to make his deal look ordinary.

Aaron Donald for example highest paid defensive player ever until the Bears signed Mack to a new deal.

The Minnesota Vikings have claimed punter Matt Wile off waivers from the Steelers and released Ryan Quigley after one season.

The Vikings also signed nine players to the practice squad. Below is a look at the transactions:

Signed to practice squad:
Jeff Badet – WR
Chad Beebe – WR
Reshard Cliett – LB
Curtis Cothran – DT
Garret Dooley – LB
Cornelius Edison – C
Colby Gossett – G
Storm Norton – T
Jack Tocho – S

Claimed via waivers:
Matt Wile – P

Released:
Ryan Quigley – P

Wile, an undrafted free agent, began his career with the Carolina Panthers in 2015. He has since spent time with the Cowboys, Falcons, Cardinals and Steelers, playing in four NFL games with 12 career punts, averaging 46.1 yards per punt.

https://www.foxsports.com/north/story/minnesota-vikings-claim-p-matt-wile-sign-nine-to-practice-squad-090218

I don't recall a lot of crazy talk. Just that Cousins deal was record breaking. It didn't take very long for other contracts to make his deal look ordinary.

Aaron Donald for example highest paid defensive player ever until the Bears signed Mack to a new deal.
Cousins deal made and will make a lot of guys a lot of up front contract money

Cousins deal made and will make a lot of guys a lot of up front contract money
Yes it has.

From what I have read the CBA is coming up again in 2020 and the salary cap is expected to go up a lot at that time. 

So while it may seem like teams are spending like sailors right now, it is all in anticipation of the salary cap going up a lot in two years from now. The players and their agents knowing that, and players demanding more guaranteed money in their deals.

Yes it has.

From what I have read the CBA is coming up again in 2020 and the salary cap is expected to go up a lot at that time. 

So while it may seem like teams are spending like sailors right now, it is all in anticipation of the salary cap going up a lot in two years from now. The players and their agents knowing that, and players demanding more guaranteed money in their deals.
I'm sure guys have been signed to "normal" contracts since the Cousins deal, but I gotta believe there's going to be some major pushback from teams. This seems like a big slippery slope that these big upfront contracts are on.

simsarge said:
I'm sure guys have been signed to "normal" contracts since the Cousins deal, but I gotta believe there's going to be some major pushback from teams. This seems like a big slippery slope that these big upfront contracts are on.
I dunno.

The NFL keeps becoming more profitable over time. They were already in a cap situation where it was going up about $20 per year the last 5 years or so. The cap is just going to keep going up until the NFL reaches a tipping point of their profitability.

So I don't see any slippery slope here.

The Vikings offense still finding themselves right now.

Dalvin Cook played the first two drives and had the first 3 touches of the game. The offensive line is struggling to open holes and protect Cousins. Tom Compton in particular struggling with Buckner.

The defense has been playing great though, not letting the 49ers do anything, run or pass. I almost feel sorry for George Kittle who is getting thrown around a lot and is blanketed by Kendricks in coverage. Barr is picking up the RBs.

Latavius Murray comes in for the Vikings 3rd drive and the line opens a massive hole for him. Both me and my cousin are wondering why the opposing defense doesn't seem to be playing the run when Murray is there? Cook and McKinnon just don't seem to get the same blocking as Murray does.

After a another run by Murray for not much the Vikings convert the 3rd down with a nice flare pass to Cook for good yardage.

Stefon Diggs finishes the drive with a TD!!

My thoughts going into the game was the Vikings would win 27-17.. 24-16 so close.. SKOL Vikings!!!! :football:

Loved what I saw early on from the Vikings Offense.. HATED the 4th quarter and half the 3rd of "protect the lead". Lots of boring calls that were easy to defend by the 49ers and kept them close.

Defense had some great plays.. But WAY too many blown coverage's.. Lost track how many times someone was wide open.

Lots to clean up before next week as Rodgers won't miss those throws...

Still 1-0 is a great way to start!

The Vikings are definitely still figuring things out on offense. The blocking was pretty poor for most of the game. They acrually improved the pass protection a bit as the game went on but they could not run block well after the Cook fumble the running game shut down.

Too many failed conversions on 3rd down towards the end of the game and too many 3 and out drives.

The defense was rotating players a lot more than last season from what I saw. There were several 3 safety packages with Javon Kearse on the field not Iloka. The defensive linemen were rotating a bit and some failed run fits against the cut back lanes of the 49ers runs. The defense made big plays in the form of turnovers and won this game.

I'm less afraid of Rodgers this week than I am of the typical Lambeau home cooking x 10 factor. There's going to be a combination of protecting the golden goose and hyper sensitivity over the legal hit the Vikes put on Rodgers last season. I'm mentally preparing for this game not coming down to football at all. 

The Vikings offense still finding themselves right now.
I'm in agreement with this especially when breaking in a new QB.  Plus, their OL isn't same as last year, lacking a much need continuity.  So, it will take time for this offense to reach at the same level as their defensive counterpart.  Beside, it does them good on developing their offensive cohesiveness.  I still think them as one of heavily-favored for Super Bowl in Atlanta. 

I'm in agreement with this especially when breaking in a new QB.  Plus, their OL isn't same as last year, lacking much need continuity.  So, it will take time for this offense to reach at the same level as their defensive counterpart.  Beside, it does them good on developing their offensive cohesiveness.  I still think them as one of heavily-favored for Super Bowl in Atlanta. 
Agreed. Let's not put the cart before the horse though. Lots of games to play first to get there. Anything can happen.

I believe in this team though. They can do it.

I don't think I've ever felt this strongly about the top tier early in the season. Unless another team steps up in a big way, I believe it's as close to a lock as you can get in regards to the Vikes & Rams banging heads in the NFC championship game.

That includes Wentz coming back & playing well & the Saints playing much better on D than they did in week 1. The Packers don't quite have enough juice, either, IMO.

Injuries, bad luck, etc., could change that, but barring something fairly catastrophic, it looks like an LA/Minny showdown.

I have been in cheese land all week and I had the same feeling. I wish Rodgers would get healthy so the Vikings can beat him without all the excuses.

If Rodgers plays and the Packers lose they will just say Rodgers isn't 100% as the reason for the loss. While it is true that Rodgers will not be 100% in this next game, that does not mean it is the only reason why they will lose the game.

But to Packer fans, especially after what Rodgers did coming back from the injury in the 2nd half, a lot of them won't see it any other way.

If he doesn't play then they can just say well if Rodgers played it would have been different. Yeah no kidding. Kizer is terrible.

Nevermind

:censored: Treadwell and :censored: Carlson..  both should find Pink slips waiting for them Monday morning..

Thankful the Vikings D came through right when it was needed to keep it tied here with 3 minute left..

:censored: Treadwell and :censored: Carlson..  both should find Pink slips waiting for them Monday morning..

Thankful the Vikings D came through right when it was needed to keep it tied here with 3 minute left..
 You don't miss a 35 yard FG, to win the game, and still have a job.. :bye:

And Treadwell is a headcase... Time to give up on him.. there HAS to be something better..

This team has a long way to go to be relevant this year. That game was terrible ugly.
that is normal GB vs. Minnesota game... Especially in GB.. Doesn't matter if one team is 15-0 and the other team is 0-15, it will be close until the final whistle... It is what makes the rival fun and :rant: at the same time.

I want the Vikings to stick with Carlson.  I remember the season when Mason Crosby struggled and the Packers stuck with him.  I admit Calson struggling in his second game is a little disconcerting

I want the Vikings to stick with Carlson.  I remember the season when Mason Crosby struggled and the Packers stuck with him.  I admit Calson struggling in his second game is a little disconcerting
 The only positive is that all three misses caused by the same mistake.  So in theory it should be easily correctable. 

Dan Bailey, now.

Too much invested in this team for it to come down to missed kicks.
This. You go out and spend major $$$ to get an elite level QB in place on a team with an elite D and very good offensive playmakers only to be hamstrung by poor/inconsistent kicking? You stick by a young kicker on a team that is in rebuild mode maybe, but not one that is ready to win now. And they have been more than patient with Treadwell. I hate giving up on guys but at some point it's better for everyone. Maybe a change in scenery and fresh start somewhere else is better for the player too.

Outcome stinks but they only gave up one offensive TD to the Packers in Green Bay...they will be fine.

Diggs and Thielen are going to be monsters this year with Cousins!!

And hey...you spend a ton of $$$$ on a QB, you get a gift roughing the passer call! Who woulda thunk it?!?!!?

This. You go out and spend major $$$ to get an elite level QB in place on a team with an elite D and very good offensive playmakers only to be hamstrung by poor/inconsistent kicking? You stick by a young kicker on a team that is in rebuild mode maybe, but not one that is ready to win now. And they have been more than patient with Treadwell. I hate giving up on guys but at some point it's better for everyone. Maybe a change in scenery and fresh start somewhere else is better for the player too.
I agree. Breaking in a rookie kicker is not something a team with championship aspirations should be doing. It obviously adds more risk.

Missing 3 field goals is just inexcusable. If the Vikings lost the game the errors would have been more costly. How can you go into the playoffs with performance like that?

The only benefit of having a rookie kicker is that they are on cheap contracts for awhile. It is not like the Kickers make that much money though. It is penny wise pound foolish.

They could have used that draft pick on an offensive lineman, something they clearly still need.

While Forbath maybe not anything to get excited about, at least he wouldn't be the reason the Vikings lose games.

Priefer better get the punt team blocking scheme figured out too. Atrocious. I’m not a fan of the formation they use where they try to form an oval cocoon around the punter. I understand it’s about angles but that blocked punt was too easy.

Cousins encouraging words for Daniel Carlson

The skill of having short-term memory as a quarterback is one Cousins has learned to master throughout the years. Cousins pulled on his own experiences in relaying words of encouragement to the rookie kicker.

"I just tell him, 'Hey, get in line with guys who have failed,'" Cousins said. "I’ve thrown four picks in a game, I’ve had nights where I’ve wondered if I should show up at work the next morning with how frustrated I was with myself. I’ve been benched and sat out of the rest of the season because I wasn’t playing well enough. We’ve all been there. We’ve all had to wait our turn and we’ve all failed and learned from it.

"He’s wired with the right kind of stuff. If there was somebody on our team who I know that can mentally and emotionally handle it, it’s DC. He’s got the right wiring, and he’ll be alright."
http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/27131/supporting-cast-fails-kirk-cousins-in-intro-to-packers-vikings-rivalry

Great job in being aggressive by the front office.

Now we need to move Treadwell out and pick up another WR.

Looks like Treadwell cap is a pretty big hit if they cut him though.

They did? Nice.
Robinson is kinda of like a Ted Ginn type.  He has been used most to stretch the field hardly ever used in the slot.  I assume he will be used mostly as a decoy with the rare bomb going his way.  I assume he signed for the minimum.  Correct me if I am wrong - I assume the Vikings can't have much cap space since signed so many extensions this year.

Vikings waived Carlson and expect to sign Bailey  - Per Perlissero
Sport can be unforgiving.

This is a tough thing for the kid.  Until he has kicked with Andy Reed or McCarthy on the sideline how is he to know that they are such fat asses that they exert their own gravitational pull on the ball. This is really a failure of coaching.  The Vike's special teams coach should have told him to compensate at least one foot left for every five yards of distance to make up for McCarthy's gravitational pull.  Dude is like a small planetoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Kuz