What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Team Thread (5 Viewers)

So they are working on extending Thielen now? Why not wait until next year? Saving 3mil on Everson was not enough imo but at least it was something. Still didn't cover the Barr contract, let alone Thielen. All the talent in the world goes nowhere with the o-line they have.

So they are working on extending Thielen now? Why not wait until next year? Saving 3mil on Everson was not enough imo but at least it was something. Still didn't cover the Barr contract, let alone Thielen. All the talent in the world goes nowhere with the o-line they have.
Barr doesn't cost much against the cap this year. It is a lot 2020 and forward.

Theilen certainly has earned a raise. They are focused on making their players happy it's not unusual actually, they did similar deals with Griffen and Linval recently.

Nick Easton signs with the Saints 4 years $24 million. Out of the Vikings price range and he gets the chance to start at center which the Vikings may not have been offering him.

With Easton off the market, here are the best remaining O-line free agents

Lots of drek here. Maybe one of these guys like Sitton or Levitre could have a bounce back year I guess. Even these guys will likely be too expensive.

Unless they make another cut like *cough Kyle Rudolph I think the Vikings are pretty much done already for free agency.

They did sign Ameer Abdullah.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems completely out of character for this regime, but the cap issues coupled with the desperate O-line needs have me believing that a Rhodes or Waynes trade could still be in the offing. I would think they could get at least a 2nd or high 3rd at least for either of them, given the dearth of quality CBs around the league.

The Vikings have painted themselves in a corner with the cap situation.

I agree with Herb that there is still at least one major move left to free up cap space.

The free agents remaining are not good though.

Played poor last year from the sounds of it but solid the two years before.  Hopefully he’s an upgrade from remmers.  Contract looked like it was priced right and much cheaper than remmers.  

Well if we have to trade a CB then I'd rather trade away Waynes, especially if we don't get a 1st rounder for Rhodes.  I like our CB depth so moving one of these starters is fine with me. 

Even though we supposedly or hopefully upgraded the O-line, I would still like two linemen going in our top 4 picks... Williams from 'bama or Ford from Oklahoma are first round material, then some interior D-line help and a WR to take over the 3rd WR role would be great.  I'm assuming we'll draft a PK late in the draft to compete/win the job over Bailey and a big RB for goal-line work would fulfill my Xmas basket list.

Played poor last year from the sounds of it but solid the two years before.  Hopefully he’s an upgrade from remmers.  Contract looked like it was priced right and much cheaper than remmers.  
The Vikings would have paid Remmers $4 million for the 2019 season if they kept him.

Josh Kline reportedly gets $15.8 million over 3 seasons. 

I don't see the details of the contract listed on sportrac yet so they are likely still waiting for information about it. I am not sure if the deal is back loaded (more money in the last year of the deal) or what but it is looking like they will spend the same amount or more for Kline than what they were going to pay Remmers.

Kline should be better than Remmers, thats not hard. Just not sure if he will be good.

@Bri what did the Vikings get in signing Josh Kline?

Well if we have to trade a CB then I'd rather trade away Waynes, especially if we don't get a 1st rounder for Rhodes.  I like our CB depth so moving one of these starters is fine with me. 

Even though we supposedly or hopefully upgraded the O-line, I would still like two linemen going in our top 4 picks... Williams from 'bama or Ford from Oklahoma are first round material, then some interior D-line help and a WR to take over the 3rd WR role would be great.  I'm assuming we'll draft a PK late in the draft to compete/win the job over Bailey and a big RB for goal-line work would fulfill my Xmas basket list.
When did this happen? Did I miss something? Not being obtuse it's that I don't think they have done anything to improve the O-line yet this year. In which case I agree with you wanting 2 of the top 4 picks to be O-line... at least.

Biabreakable said:
The Vikings would have paid Remmers $4 million for the 2019 season if they kept him.

Josh Kline reportedly gets $15.8 million over 3 seasons. 

I don't see the details of the contract listed on sportrac yet so they are likely still waiting for information about it. I am not sure if the deal is back loaded (more money in the last year of the deal) or what but it is looking like they will spend the same amount or more for Kline than what they were going to pay Remmers.

Kline should be better than Remmers, thats not hard. Just not sure if he will be good.

@Bri what did the Vikings get in signing Josh Kline?
Kline's average. Excellent wheels when he wants to which seems to stick with people like "remember that play?" He's so average- good play, bad play.

He has an incredible agent to get him the last two deals he has. I mean the Pats cut him and...it's just woah.

He can play center and if the Vikes were going to have him as a backup G/C then he's a good backup and good get. I doubt it at 5 mil per though. 

The Vikes and Dolphins were negotiating with Quinton Spain and it's like the Vikes got tired of the back N forth so they just signed Kline. Spain is much better and has a "best ever" type sacks allowed total. 

Kline's average. Excellent wheels when he wants to which seems to stick with people like "remember that play?" He's so average- good play, bad play.

He has an incredible agent to get him the last two deals he has. I mean the Pats cut him and...it's just woah.

He can play center and if the Vikes were going to have him as a backup G/C then he's a good backup and good get. I doubt it at 5 mil per though. 

The Vikes and Dolphins were negotiating with Quinton Spain and it's like the Vikes got tired of the back N forth so they just signed Kline. Spain is much better and has a "best ever" type sacks allowed total. 
Why are the Titans letting these guys go?

As for Spain maybe he was out of their price range. I'm not entirely sure how they could afford to sign anyone right now.

Why are the Titans letting these guys go?

As for Spain maybe he was out of their price range. I'm not entirely sure how they could afford to sign anyone right now.
The market and draft were about the same. There's one absolute gem in the draft (Colts got him) and some maybes. In free agency, there are a few special ones and the rest are eh. Kline's agent used this to make a way overpaid 7-8 mil salary last year. The Titans wanted out though and JRob seemed to plan it. There was a 2.5 mil bump around March 20th and I correctly predicted his release before that date.  Quinton Spain is the best available G when you think in terms of ability+age. The Titans can't sign him to a huge deal. It'll be the same dance where they cut him next year like they did Kline.  It's a problem when ya need Gs and there aren't a lot available.

JRob has positioned himself somewhat. He's got 10 tackles now. Most are depth and maybe won't play but he's getting toward that 90 so that the draft will fill in the blanks. Conklin trade rumors are very strong. I expect him traded just like Taywan.  The Titans won't be able to afford Conklin next year. He's gonna make huge money as the fifth year payment. The Titans wanted to lock him in at a reasonable rate and stopped negotiating. The guy was all pro as a rookie. He's gonna make some $ and they'll find a suitor. The problem is everyone knows and how much are they lowballing JRob. As of now, it seems they'll let him walk next year and take the eventual 3rd round pick compensation. (Byard and Mariota if he does well, will eat up their remaining cap and start to cripple them next year) I think Conk is shopped for a quality lineman in return or a 1st or 2nd. Last year there was only one tackle people thought was truly 1st round material. This year there's a few but there really seems to be a downward slide going on. Lewan's and Conk's drafts were real strong. 

The way I understand it, the bulk of the talented linemen in the draft will need time. The plug n play guys (like most from Oklahoma) are just tough guys that will be good right away but never really special. This year's prize is that center and center's don't go too early.

The Titans have C, RG hole, and both RTs as free agents next year. They have to shore up one or two spots this year. I think OU's Ford is on the Titans list. There's no interview scheduled that I know of and Titans brass was reportedly absent from OUs pro day (it's on ESPN and NFLN so..) but they sent the OL coach and assistant there. Ford can play G or T in the NFL and was a real solid 2nd or 3rd round pick, but now he's getting too much good press and creeping up into late 1st. 

The Vikings have been all over Sooners so I still think they're adding linemen.

Brandt was discussing the Sooners and he worded it very well. Not many OL have made long careers in the NFL and teams really shied away from Sooners for a long time. As far as talent, most college teams would be lucky to have a few guys they'd call blue-chip recruits. The Sooners are always loaded and could possibly send their whole roster. It doesn't happen because when the light is shined, they're not all good but NFL teams are looking harder at the elite college teams' rosters now. The talent isn't there in the 4th thru 7th and maybe there's a gem on one of the elite teams. If a position is weak in the draft, it's become a thing- just take that position from the Sooners or USC etc. You know it'll be a high talent guy that has top level experience so give him a shot. 

Cosell was saying that the more he researches OL he keeps falling in love with DL. The same thing happened last year. He didn't think it was poor work by scouts, just that's how things go sometimes. Currently DL are way better than OL in the draft and this sets up a problem- do you want to draft the OL that was burned by several DL in college? He said you grab the OL coach and discuss technique and whether the guy can be fixed up and that's how you find linemen in these drafts. The next Q is can they be ready by week one or are they a project, so we're seeing OL coaches visit and try to teach something to see how the draft eligible OL respond.

It makes a lot of sense. There are a ton of DL and Edge guys that have wow highlight reels. They're from big schools burning the big name OL. If some college OL can't block a college DE, how's he gonna do against Wake or Watt?  According to Cosell, this is how it always goes when it's a real strong year for DL- as the draft approaches teams get real skittish about the OL that got burned

I think the Vikings are definitely interested in Ford. They have some history there with Loadholt a decade ago.

I also like Dru Samia their guard who I think would be a good fit. He might be available 3rd round?

The Vikings draft one spot ahead of the Titans, so they could get Ford if hes there. There are some other lineman they will be considering though.

They might go defensive line with the pick if that is the BPA.

Based on what Josh Kline said in recent interview he plans to start at right guard.

“Starting early here with Minnesota, having an entire offseason with the team is going to help me out a lot, from a fit aspect, my right tackle and center, the offensive line as a whole and the offense as a whole.” LINK

Improvement on Vikings O-line may rest on progress from O’Neill, Elflein

Host of the Trench Warfare podcast and USA Football O-line analyst Brandon Thorn said he expects Elflein to bounce back next season.

“There’s a lot of context that gets missed with a grade like that,” Thorn said on Purple Daily on SKOR North. “The context that I think is most important is not having an offseason. For offensive linemen the offseason is a critical time in your preparation for the season, it’s a time when you have to start working on small things within a scheme, technical things, fundamentals. You don’t want to have to work on that in the middle of the season.”

I always wonder how much the shortcomings of someone else (or multiple others) impacts the performance of any OL individual. I thought Remmers and Compton were plainly atrocious in 2018. Seems logical that lack of confidence that the guy next to you will do his job impacts your focus on your own assignment. I'm somewhat hopeful that was the case with Elflein.
You are only as good as your weakest link and I have no doubt that having poor performers around you in something as intricate and team oriented as O-Line play will definitely bring down the overall performance of everyone in that unit. 

I always wonder how much the shortcomings of someone else (or multiple others) impacts the performance of any OL individual. I thought Remmers and Compton were plainly atrocious in 2018. Seems logical that lack of confidence that the guy next to you will do his job impacts your focus on your own assignment. I'm somewhat hopeful that was the case with Elflein.
I think that definitely matters.

This is one of the reasons I wish they would get rid of Rudolph. He makes the tackles job harder.

Remmers and Compton may have looked worse because of Elfliens play as well. It is the centers job to make adjustments and get the guards on the right assignment.

Too early to give up on Elf and I think the point about missing camp is fair to consider with the coaching changes, he never caught up.

They really really need to get some good players there.

I think that definitely matters.

This is one of the reasons I wish they would get rid of Rudolph. He makes the tackles job harder.

Remmers and Compton may have looked worse because of Elfliens play as well. It is the centers job to make adjustments and get the guards on the right assignment.

Too early to give up on Elf and I think the point about missing camp is fair to consider with the coaching changes, he never caught up.

They really really need to get some good players there.
Right, it definitely could be Elflein making Compton/Remmers look bad. OTOH Elflein looked better in 2017 next to journeymen like Easton/Berger, and Compton/Remmers looked like absolute flailing turnstiles. OTOH-II Kalil looked great his rookie year and then fell off a cliff, so who the heck knows. I'd like to think the paid coaching staff and personnel decision makers know, but I've pretty much lost faith in a staff/personnel dept that put an $84M QB behind they line they chose in 2018.

I know it's off topic, but I thought the Bleacher Report article on McCarthy and Rodgers was stupendous.  Great reporting. And for a Viking fan, satisfying and funny. I didn't want to be the guy to troll the Packer thread with it, but it's awfully tempting. Seems even Packer fans may be catching on to the fact that A-Rodg is a selfish jerk no one likes.

I'm sort of surprised reading 'great move' comments at PFT about the Thielen extension. I like Thielen, but not at 4/$64-$74M, and not when he has 2 years remaining on a current deal. It's a confusing use of cap vs. adding contributing talent at OL, or any position really. It just wouldn't have bothered me if the Vikes lost Thielen in 2022 because some other team paid this contract value. I'd consider it a coup to get what they did from some UDFA at a reasonable cap %.  

Adam Theilen definitely earned a new contract. The contract he signed as a RFA was really team friendly and he has definitely outperformed that.

The Vikings salary cap already being constrained does make the timing of this puzzling though. As far as I understand it, the Vikings do not have enough money to sign their rookie picks. That was before they gave this deal to Theilen. Maybe it is backloaded? I haven't seen the details about that yet. Maybe his cap hit for this season doesn't change much, or even is somehow less, like what they did with Griffen and Barr.

Doing that pushes the problem into the fiture, where big decisions will have to be made.

As it has seemed for quite some time now, there is I think one big contract that the Vikings are going to need to get out of in order to afford to sign their rookie picks.

That could be Griffen, that could be Rudolph, that could be a trade of Waynes or Rhodes. Riley Reiff?

I am not sure who it is that is going to be cut or traded, but it seems like it has to be someone, and the way the Vikings are handling the situation makes me think they already have a trade or something lined up. They are just waiting for draft day to execute the move. They are functioning like there is a big contract that will be freed up in the near future.

I would be fine with them cutting Rudolph and just rolling with David Morgan, Conklin and whoever they add in the draft. That would be my first choice of big contracts to get out of anyways.

Draft’s middle rounds could be full of the weapons Vikings need on offense

I keep hearing this idea recently that there will only be one WR selected in the first round. A lot of the time that WR has been Marquise Brown who I do not consider to be the best WR in this draft class.

While I recognize there are a lot of good defensive players and also good offensive linemen in this draft, I would be surprised if only one is drafted in the first round.

Seems like there is a lot more OL depth than I thought initially...if there aren't many that go before their pick, I would be in favor of a move down to collect another 2nd or 3rd to pick up more offensive linemen. Bradbury has really grown on me though - think he would be a good pick.

Any chance Rudolph gets traded? I have a weird feeling about that one...think he may be on the move...

Spielman Explains Scenarios Where Team Passes On Offensive Line In Round One, Trade-Back Options, More

Spielman says this is a very deep draft, especially at the offensive and defensive line positions. He says they have 234 players with draftable grades for the 2019 draft class. He says its deeper than what they usually have.

He says that Kubiak has had an influence on the types of traits they are looking for in offensive linemen and how they will fit the scheme they want to run.

He says his wife told him if they draft a CB in round one this year, to not come home. He says that if a player who they consider to be a pro bowl talent falls to them, how can they not take that player? And that it would be a mistake to take the lesser player because of positional need. He then goes on to talk about the depth of talent at positions, and if they think they can still get good players at that position later on in the draft, or if there is only one or two left, that changes how they prioritize their picks.

He says their goal is to get the best players at every pick and hopefully needs sort themselves out.

He says they do not anticipate trading any of their players at this time. That they have a plan in regards to the salary cap, and that they have had a plan in regards to that for a long time. He jokes Brezenski has to get out of cap jail. But I guess somehow they have a plan for playing for their rookie contracts.

Alos Scott Studwell officially retired from the Vikings scouting department.

I did 10 drafts of the first 3 rounds using fanspeaks on the clock last night.

I was using Arif Hasans consensus draft for this and my very first draft I got lucky and I was able to get TJ Hockenson, Greg Little and Dru Samia with the Vikings 3 picks, which is too good to be true I think though, as I wasn't able to replicate that in the next 9 drafts I did.

Generally the top offensive line prospects are gone by the time the Vikings pick in the 2nd round becomes available. Players like Riisner, Lindstrom and Bradbury are consistently gone before the Vikings pick in the 2nd round.

I see a problem here similar to last year, where if the Vikings do not draft an offensive lineman with pick 18 they may miss out on the top offensive line players in the 2nd round who go before their next pick. Greg Little is not always there either (about a 50% chance based on my 10 drafts).

This makes me wary of taking BPA with pick 18 even if a great player like Hockenson were to fall that far. I also wonder if the Vikings should consider trying to trade up a few spots from pick 

A player who does seem to be there at pick 50 consistently that I like a lot is Charles Omenihu who is a DE from Texas, who I think can also play 3 technique. He is my go to pick there if all of the offensive linemen are gone.

Dru Samia doesn't always make it to their 3rd round pick.

WR who can help the Vikings are available in the 3rd round but most of them will be gone by round 4.

Spielman: Bradbury Was The Perfect Fit

He says they had a couple offers from teams to move up to their pick but that Bradbury was a player they were targeting and didn't want to pass on.

Zimmer in his press conference says that Bradbury was one of Kubiaks favorite players from this draft. He says that Andre Patterson was really impressed with Bradbury when watching defensive linemen as well.

Zimmer jokes he was trying to get a corner but oh well. 

He says its great having Kubiak and Dennison with the team as they know exactly what they want in offensive linemen. Garrett Bradbury is the ideal prospect for their scheme from an athletic standpoint. 

In context of the types of linemen and blocking plays Zimmer says this one cut run game should be very good for Dalvin. 

When asked what they will do in the 2nd round he dodges the question saying you can never have enough corners. With only one corner selected so far it is likely becoming a value right now.

Cody Ford and Dalton Risner are still there. I would love it if they could find a way to get one of them. I don't expect they will last long once they start drafting again tomorrow. Enough good linemen have lasted this far though. Maybe Greg Little will last to pick 50.

I'd love to look OL in the 2nd. I was curious how I'd feel if Harry or DK slipped into the 2nd. Now that Harry went I'd expect DK to come off shortly. It would be really hard to pass on that size/speed replacing Treadwell.

Solid player and a solid citizen.  A smart, hardworking guy.  Mick Tingelhoff? Will help cement a suspect unit.  As a Packer fan this pick worries me a bit.  I think I will be watching him play against my guys 12 to 15 years down the road, still.  A solid, responsible pick.  Well done, in my estimation.  Good for the Vikes.

Please no Metcalf. Not for this offense.

Someone like Parris Campbell would rock (or if somehow AJ Brown fell...).
What's wrong with Metcalf for this offense? I would think he'd be perfect as a downfield threat, who keeps safeties deep, and allows Thielen to spend more time in the slot, where he's hardest to cover. 

I'd think he'd be a much better fit than Campbell, who needs more touches to be manufactured for him, and was seemingly(if OSU knew how best to use him) a slot guy. 

What's wrong with Metcalf for this offense? I would think he'd be perfect as a downfield threat, who keeps safeties deep, and allows Thielen to spend more time in the slot, where he's hardest to cover. 

I'd think he'd be a much better fit than Campbell, who needs more touches to be manufactured for him, and was seemingly(if OSU knew how best to use him) a slot guy. 
And do what with Diggs?

I don't see why his role would change much at all, he's mostly an outside WR, if anything Metcalf's deep ball ability might open up more for Diggs in that 15-20 yard range.

Why do you think Campbell would be a better fit?
I don't get what you're saying. Metcalf, Diggs, and Thielen can't all play wide at once.

Campbell would be lethal out of the slot. Drafting Metcalf would force someone out of position.

And do what with Diggs?
I'm sure similar concerns what to do with Cris Carter/Jake Reed occurred when the Vikes took Moss. I just don't think you can have enough receiving threats in an offense, regardless of how you need to shuffle them. I'm not some draftnik like you and others on this board, but the thought of adding an Andre Johnson/David Boston - esque specimen intrigues the heck out of me. He has such huge range from the limited highlights I saw, and JMHO that's what they hoped they were getting with Treadwell (who seemingly is still needed for a role). Listening to KFAN today, they are drooling over the idea of a WR/KR combo and I just don't have any interest in a utility knife WR who needs to meet other needs and may not be spectacular at the WR role. Find a specialized KR/PR joystick guy late if that is something that appeals to them. 

Users who are viewing this thread