What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Top 100 Players of 2017 (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I just saw something on NFL Network saying that the countdown of the Top 100 Players of 2017 will start Monday, May 1 at 8 ET.  I've got an idea of who #1 is going to be: Matt Ryan.  The reason for that is in the entire history of the annual countdown, the player at No. 1 has almost always been the MVP from the previous season.  The only time that didn't happen was 2015 when Aaron Rodgers was ranked No. 2 and J.J. Watt ended up being No. 1.  What do you expect to happen for this year's countdown?

Tom Brady will be the top player. 

Khalil Mack will be the top defensive player. 

I'm watching the unveiling of the bottom 20 names on the list.  And there are some surprises on this year's list.  Here's the list so far:

100. Joey Bosa (Chargers DE)

99. Malcolm Butler (Patriots CB)

98. Adrian Peterson (Saints RB)

97. David DeCastro (Steelers OG)

96. Damon Harrison (Giants DT)

95. Kelechi Osemele (Raiders OT)

94. Dont'a Hightower (Patriots LB)

93. Brandon Graham (Eagles DE)

92. Everson Griffen (Vikings DE)

91. Lorenzo Alexander (Bills LB)

90. Malcolm Jenkins (Eagles S)

89. Thomas Davis (Panthers LB)

88. Doug Baldwin (Seahawks WR)

87. Travis Frederick (Cowboys C)

86. Jurrell Casey (Titans DT)

85. Chandler Jones (Cardinals LB)

84. Mike Daniels (Packers DT)

83. Calais Campbell (Jaguars DT)

82. Clay Matthews III (Packers LB)

81. Alex Smith (Chiefs QB)

What stands out in your mind?  And who do you think will be the 80-71 range?

A reminder that the countdown continues on Monday with #80-#71.  Who do you believe will fall in that range?  NFL Network didn't give any hints as to who'd pop up on the countdown this week.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that guys like Jameis Winston and Amari Cooper might show up.  But I want to know what everyone else thinks will show up on the list this week.

NFL Network just said that the first of five tight ends will be revealed on Monday's countdown.  Who might that be?

NFL Network just said that the first of five tight ends will be revealed on Monday's countdown.  Who might that be?
5 TE?

Gronk, kelce, walker, Olsen and reed. I'll say Delanie is #5. 

Eta - as this is looking forward to 2017 they might put Graham ahead of walker but Delanie deserves to be among the top 100 players. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw on NFL Network that 2 members of the Super Bowl Champions will be revealed, and also a QB will be revealed.  Maybe Jameis Winston?

They said it was a veteran QB that will be revealed tomorrow night.  The only one that comes to mind for me is Philip Rivers.

Adrian Peterson #98?  Is that a gift/legacy ranking?
Reminds me of a number of years ago when McNabb snagged an appearance on the list, even though he was clearly at the end of his career and was a shell of his former self. I was astounded. It wasn't very long after that we saw him throwing the ball into the turf for Minnesota.

Reminds me of a number of years ago when McNabb snagged an appearance on the list, even though he was clearly at the end of his career and was a shell of his former self. I was astounded. It wasn't very long after that we saw him throwing the ball into the turf for Minnesota.
He threw a hell of a lot of balls in the turf for Philly too.

Here's the updated list:

95. Kelechi Osemele (Raiders OG)

80. LeGarrette Blount (Free Agent RB)

79. Sean Lee (Cowboys LB)

78. Brian Orakpo (Titans LB)

77. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Packers S)

76. Justin Houston (Chiefs LB)

75. Delanie Walker (Titans TE)

74. Harrison Smith (Vikings S)

73. Philip Rivers (Chargers QB)

72. Taylor Lewan (Titans OT)

71. Julian Edelmqn (Patriots WR)

So, LeGarrette Blount is ranked #80 and he doesn't have a team right now.  The fact that he's on the list just proves that he's the best free agent available right now.  What stands out to you?  And who do you think will fall in the 70-61 range?

So, LeGarrette Blount is ranked #80 and he doesn't have a team right now.  The fact that he's on the list just proves that he's the best free agent available right now.  What stands out to you?  
The fact that he's on this list proves that this list is kind of useless and a waste of time other than strictly for entertainment purposes if you like watching it.

5 TE?

Gronk, kelce, walker, Olsen and reed. I'll say Delanie is #5. 

Eta - as this is looking forward to 2017 they might put Graham ahead of walker but Delanie deserves to be among the top 100 players. 

What stands out to you?  And who do you think will fall in the 70-61 range?
:thumbup:

Kind of funny to see 3 Titans in the 71-80 group.  I'm not sure if orakpo really deserves it but he's a solid, generally underrated player. 

Blount being on the list doesn't really "prove" anything but it does reraise the question of whether a team will sign him. 

This "list" only signifies one thing.....and it's NOT these players prospects for production in 2017. It's basically a "list" of players who looked decent LAST YEAR. It should really be titled the Top 100 players of 2016.......because that's what it is (with the occasional gift/legacy ranking (Peterson, Clay Matthews,  etc.)

That's my take, for whatever it's worth. And I agree with Hu-Tang.....entertainment, ratings grab only by NFLN.

So......Worthless.

I just saw something on NFL Network that three guys will be making their Top 100 debut, and that a QB-TE tandem will be revealed.  The only one that comes to mind for me is Kirk Cousins-Jordan Reed.

Here's the updated list:

80. LeGarrette Blount (Free Agent RB)

71. Julian Edelman (Patriots WR)

70. Kirk Cousins (Redskins QB)

69. Jay Ajayi (Dolphins RB)

68. Geno Atkins (Bengals DT)

67. Greg Olsen (Panthers TE)

66. Xavier Rhodes (Vikings CB)

65. Jordan Reed (Redskins TE)

64. Casey Hayward (Chargers CB)

63. Chris Harris Jr. (Broncos CB)

62. Cameron Wake (Dolphins DE)

61. T.Y. Hilton (Colts WR)

Who do you think will fall in the 60-51 range?

I remember something on NFL Network that for this year's countdown, 3 teams failed to land a player on the list: Bears, 49ers, and Jets.  LeGarrette Blount just signed with the Eagles, which now makes the third Eagle to be on the list, joining Brandon Graham and Malcolm Jenkins.  This is the first time that more than one team fails to land a player on the Top 100 Players list.  I haven't seen a preview for next Monday's show.  I think Ryan Tannehill and Marcus Mariota have a good chance of falling in the 51-60 range.  I was kind of surprised to see 2 Dolphins in the 61-70 range.  They've already named 2 QBs, Alex Smith and Philip Rivers, and there's 14 more quarterbacks to be named.  I can see a couple of them being named on Monday, and I suspect Tannehill and Mariota have a good chance of making the list.  Who do you think has a good chance to be on next Monday's episode?

I want to correct myself: I said that so far, 2 of the 16 quarterbacks have already been revealed.  There have actually been 3: Alex Smith, Philip Rivers, and Kirk Cousins.  Which means there are 13 more QBs to be revealed.  I still say Ryan Tannehill and Marcus Mariota will have a good chance to make the 51-60 range.

I want to correct myself: I said that so far, 2 of the 16 quarterbacks have already been revealed.  There have actually been 3: Alex Smith, Philip Rivers, and Kirk Cousins.  Which means there are 13 more QBs to be revealed.  I still say Ryan Tannehill and Marcus Mariota will have a good chance to make the 51-60 range.
Mariota really should be top 50 and a top 10 qb.

Tannehill has no shot.  The 13 QBs still to come will be:

Rodgers
Brady
Ryan
Brees
Carr
Wilson
Cam (despite his down year)
Prescott
Luck
Stafford
Roethlisberger
Mariotta
Eli

(or Winston sneaks in)

Tannehill has no shot.  The 13 QBs still to come will be:

Rodgers
Brady
Ryan
Brees
Carr
Wilson
Cam (despite his down year)
Prescott
Luck
Stafford
Roethlisberger
Mariotta
Eli

(or Winston sneaks in)

I think Winston will be better than stafford in 2017. But wouldn't be surprised if stafford is in.  Crazy thing is they put Alex Smith in over any of the guys on your list. 

I just saw something on NFL Network that a couple of guys who were picked #1 in their respective drafts will be revealed.  The only two that make sense are Jameis Winston and Jadeveon Clowney.

Here's the updated list:

83. Calais Campbell (Jaguars DE)

80. LeGarrette Blount (Eagles RB)

60. Dez Bryant (Cowboys WR)

59. Josh Norman (Redskins CB)

58. Zack Martin (Cowboys OG)

57. Jameis Winston (Buccaneers QB)

56. Cliff Avril (Seahawks DE)

55. Ndamukong Suh (Dolphins DT)

54. Janoris Jenkins (Giants CB)

53. Amari Cooper (Raiders WR)

52. Gerald McCoy (Buccaneers DT)

51. Andrew Luck (Colts QB)

They've already said that a player that was formerly ranked #1 on the list will be revealed next week.  Besides J.J. Watt, who else do you think will fall in the 50-41 range?

I'm watching the unveiling of the bottom 20 names on the list.  And there are some surprises on this year's list.  Here's the list so far:

95. Kelechi Osemele (Raiders OT)

What stands out in your mind?  And who do you think will be the 80-71 range?
I am a little late to the party, but I just seen the thread. 

What stands out to me

Peterson would even make the top 100 players from the NFC north last year. 

I would have thought Hightower would be higher, wasn't he all pro?

If Alex Smith is on the list there better be 15 other qbs.  

Hilton has a great year and no way should be behind Dez or Cooper. 

Baldwin should be ahead of Dez too. 

Disagree about Blount. He had a great year last year, I wouldn't expect him to ever make this list again. 

Hilton has a great year and no way should be behind Dez or Cooper. 

Baldwin should be ahead of Dez too. 

Disagree about Blount. He had a great year last year, I wouldn't expect him to ever make this list again. 
Dez still carries more name recognition than those guys and frankly, should be able to outperform them all.  He might not, sure.  But if the boys release the Dak-en, he could have a great year. 

I just saw something on NFL Network about next week's show: A player will jump at least 50 spots from last year's countdown.  That leaves only three candidates: Travis Kelce, Jarvis Landry, and Derek Carr.  My money's on Travis Kelce.

They also just said that a guy who's made the list every single year since its' inception in 2011 will be revealed.  I'm thinking either Drew Brees or Ben Roethlisberger.

After a bit of contemplation, I should expect Drew Brees to be at least in the Top 30.  But NFL Network did say a playmaker that has made the list since its' inception in 2011 will be revealed on Monday.  That means either Ben Roethlisberger or Larry Fitzgerald.  But who else should be in the 41-50 range?

NFL Network just gave away the fact that a guy who was in the Top 10 of 2016 will be revealed on this week's countdown.  That leaves three candidates: Cam Newton, J.J. Watt, and Luke Kuechly.

Here's the updated list:

50. Marcus Mariota (Titans QB)

49. Jadeveon Clowney (Texans DE)

48. Jordy Nelson (Packers WR)

47. Trent Williams (Redskins OT)

46. Michael Bennett (Seahawks DE)

45. Larry Fitzgerald (Cardinals WR)

44. Cam Newton (Panthers QB)

43. Marshal Yanda (Ravens OG)

42. Jarvis Landry (Dolphins WR)

41. Devonta Freeman (Falcons RB)

I'm really  surprised to see 3 WRs in the 41-50 range.  What stands out to you?  And who do you think will fall in the 31-40 range?

NFL Network just said a couple of second-year defensive players will be revealed along with a couple of players who used to be in the top 5 of annual countdown will be revealed.  I'm thinking one of them might be LeSean McCoy.  J.J. Watt could be another possibility.  Drew Brees is another one that comes to mind.

I just saw something on NFL Network saying that the countdown of the Top 100 Players of 2017 will start Monday, May 1 at 8 ET.  I've got an idea of who #1 is going to be: Matt Ryan.  The reason for that is in the entire history of the annual countdown, the player at No. 1 has almost always been the MVP from the previous season.  The only time that didn't happen was 2015 when Aaron Rodgers was ranked No. 2 and J.J. Watt ended up being No. 1.  What do you expect to happen for this year's countdown?
What is your job title at NFL Network?  Are y'all hiring?

Actually, I'm starting to think it's some sort of robot. I don't think that account has once replied to a single post or comment, even as we question the account's authenticity. It simply posts the next advertisement with some canned lines about who the next players might be to act like a real human poster. Odds are very high yogi doesn't reply to this post. 

Actually, I'm starting to think it's some sort of robot. I don't think that account has once replied to a single post or comment, even as we question the account's authenticity. It simply posts the next advertisement with some canned lines about who the next players might be to act like a real human poster. Odds are very high yogi doesn't reply to this post. 
Who knew the nfl network needed to advertise here?   Would be so much easier if they just paid. 

For the record, I've been keeping track of all the Top 100 lists since its' inception in 2011.  I'm not a robot.  I just like keeping track of the lists.  Anyone can do it.  Heck, all the lists since its inception' in 2011 are on Wikipedia!

Welcome to the board, Yogi. Feel free to jump into other threads and contribute as well.

Sorry for the "robot" comment. You were oddly unresponsive to my jabs ;)

NFL Network just said that there are just three rookies left, and they said that one of them will be revealed tonight.  They also said that a guy who was in the Top 10 last year will be revealed tonight.

Here's the updated list:

50. Marcus Mariota (Titans QB)

49. Jadeveon Clowney (Texans DE)

48. Jordy Nelson (Packers WR)

47. Trent Williams (Redskins OT)

46. Michael Bennett (Seahawks DE)

45. Larry Fitzgerald (Cardinals WR)

44. Cam Newton (Panthers QB)

43. Marshal Yanda (Ravens OG)

42. Jarvis Landry (Dolphins WR)

41. Devonta Freeman (Falcons RB)

40. Vic Beasley (Falcons LB)

39. Bobby Wagner (Seahawks LB)

38. Fletcher Cox (Eagles DT)

37. Aqib Talib (Broncos CB)

36. Tyreek Hill (Chiefs WR)

35. J.J. Watt (Texans DE)

34. Kam Chancellor (Seahawks S)

33. DeMarco Murray (Titans RB)

32. Marcus Peters (Chiefs CB)

31. Matthew Stafford (Lions QB)

I'm guessing that since both Matthew Stafford and Jameis Winston are on the list means there's no room for Eli Manning.  I'm also surprised to see Tyreek Hill on the list.  I would've thought Carson Wentz might have a chance to make the list.  J.J. Watt is right where he should be, but his ranking means he has a good chance at being named Comeback Player of the Year.  I know of at least two wide receivers who could fall in the 21-30 range: A.J. Green and Mike Evans.  Who does everyone else think will fall in the 21-30 range?

Users who are viewing this thread