What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Possible MFL waiver issue for some leagues created because of no Monday Night Game (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
The problem is that end-of-week happened because of no Monday Night Game, so the setup "Prevent Owners From Making ANY Roster Moves After Kickoff Of That Player's Game Until The End Of The Week" doesn't apply this week, thus creating a loophole allowing players who have already played this week to be able to be picked up before our Wednesday waiver run. Normally players who played on Sunday would not be allowed to be picked up on Monday, but would remain locked until the Wednesday waiver run.

Normally I put all players on waivers at kickoff of the Monday Night Game (which allows pickup of players on Monday if their game hasn't started yet) and picking up players on Monday was not an issue since they would be locked if their game has already played and "end of week" hasn't actually occurred yet because of the Monday night game yet to be played.

I created an entry this week to put all players on waivers at noon ET today to fix this. Last year this wasn't an issue because week 17 had a Monday night game. Or at least I believe they did, or just didn't notice because no one tried to add players on Monday who's games already played on Sunday.

Will need to add another entry on Jan 6 (Sat) at 3:00 pm ET to put all players on waivers because there are no Monday night games next week either and games start on Saturday for week 18. That is if you're still running waivers next week after week 18.

I suppose next year I'll need to check the schedule and see when the last MNF game is played.

This may or may not be an issue for your league, depending on your waiver setup. Only a warning that it might be.

EDIT: I did some research and In Week 17, we had one prime-time game this past Saturday and your normal "Sunday Night Football," but there's no "Monday Night Football" in Week 17. Why is that? Well, it has to do with college football at large. New Year's Day is known for bowl games, as Jan. 1 is a huge day for college ball. I don't see this as an issue again for New Year's day being on Monday until 2029.. We should have MNF next year because New Year's day won't be on Monday and the current setups will work because MFL won't deem the week over after Sunday games, thus players who played on Sunday will still be on waivers on Monday morning and until waivers run on Wednesday. However, this year there isn't a Monday night game in week 18 either, so if that happens in week 18 next year (didn't in 2022), for 2024 I will have to set "Put all players on waivers" at 1:00 pm on Sunday of that week to prevent the same thing from happening again next year. Bottom line, if there is a MNF game in week 18 the current setups will work and if not, make adjustments for week 18. Week 17 won't be an issue next year because New Year's day won't fall on Monday. That won't happen again until 2029.

We could solve all of this if we would just put all players on waivers on Sunday and not have to make adjustments each year checking for when the last MNF game is, but we don't because we allow pickup of player's on Monday for the MNF game right up until kickoff. We want to run waivers after our fantasy season ends in week 17 (on Wed.) and again after week 18 of the NFL season is over, with players being locked until those waiver runs

Last edited:
I have never played in a league that played any matchups in the last week of the season.. Next to last (which was this past week) was the longest I have had a league go to, most of them ended on what would be week 16.

I have never played in a league that played any matchups in the last week of the season.. Next to last (which was this past week) was the longest I have had a league go to, most of them ended on what would be week 16.
Our league ends after week 17, but our last waivers continue until after week 18 and process on Wednesdays. Normally we put all players on Waivers at kickoff of the Monday Night Game (allowing pickups of players whos game hasn't started) and the setting prevent owners from adding players who's game has already started, prevents owners from adding players on Monday before the MNF game because they already played on Sunday. The problem is there is no MNF game this week or next, thus conflicting with our setups. I don't believe it was that way last year, or we just didn't notice because no one tried to add players on Monday after our fantasy season ended in week 17. Again, we continue to run week waivers after our fantasy season has completed thru week 18 and players going on waivers is triggered by the start of the MNF game and the setting "Prevent Owners From Making ANY Roster Moves After Kickoff Of That Player's Game Until The End Of The Week" , which end of week normally meant after the Monday night game, but not this year. I suppose next year I'll need to check the schedule and see when the last MNF game is played. This may not be an issue for other leagues because of their waivers setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread