What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yahoo waiver wire/FA trick backfired on me! (1 Viewer)

TheWinz

Footballguy
For those using Yahoo, there is a trick I've used for a few years now in my redraft league. While everyone puts in their waiver claims, if you stay awake on Wednesday morning and check the player list around 3:15AM, you can see which players other owners have put claims in for. You cannot see which teams have put the claims in - only which players owners have put claims in for. This comes in handy if you are eyeing someone and are wondering whether or not to put in a claim. Right around 3:15AM, all players that do not have a claim to their name become FA's about 20-30 minutes prior to the waivers running. You can then pick them up without having to move down in your waiver order.

Well, after I lost Trevor Lawrence Monday night and Jake Browning had a great game, I quickly put in a waiver claim on him right after the game. I have the #2 waiver claim, so I pretty much knew I was going to get him. Then I was awake early Wednesday morning and decided to use my trick to see which players people put claims in for. Of course Jake Browning was one of the people, because I had put in a claim for him. So I quickly logged in and removed my claim, to see if anyone else had put in a claim for him. If not, I could get him for free. But he was still a waiver claim, signaling that someone else had a claim on him. So I quickly put my claim back in for him - but guess what? Yahoo doesn't let you put in a claim for someone if you remove your claim for that same player. 20 minutes later, he went to a team that already had Josh Allen, Sam Howell, and Baker Mayfield.

:mad::crying::mad::crying:

For those using Yahoo, there is a trick I've used for a few years now in my redraft league. While everyone puts in their waiver claims, if you stay awake on Wednesday morning and check the player list around 3:15AM, you can see which players other owners have put claims in for. You cannot see which teams have put the claims in - only which players owners have put claims in for. This comes in handy if you are eyeing someone and are wondering whether or not to put in a claim. Right around 3:15AM, all players that do not have a claim to their name become FA's about 20-30 minutes prior to the waivers running. You can then pick them up without having to move down in your waiver order.

Well, after I lost Trevor Lawrence Monday night and Jake Browning had a great game, I quickly put in a waiver claim on him right after the game. I have the #2 waiver claim, so I pretty much knew I was going to get him. Then I was awake early Wednesday morning and decided to use my trick to see which players people put claims in for. Of course Jake Browning was one of the people, because I had put in a claim for him. So I quickly logged in and removed my claim, to see if anyone else had put in a claim for him. If not, I could get him for free. But he was still a waiver claim, signaling that someone else had a claim on him. So I quickly put my claim back in for him - but guess what? Yahoo doesn't let you put in a claim for someone if you remove your claim for that same player. 20 minutes later, he went to a team that already had Josh Allen, Sam Howell, and Baker Mayfield.

I thought once you saw that light coloured + sign (which means there's a claim in for them), you can't make claims on that player? Or have you done that.

I thought once you saw that light coloured + sign (which means there's a claim in for them), you can't make claims on that player? Or have you done that.
I play in a 12-team redraft with a continual rolling waiver list, which means everyone can put a claim in on a player, but the team with the higher priority pick gets them. Once you use your claim, you drop to #12 and work your way back up. When I removed my claim and then tried to re-add the same claim a few minutes later, the light colored plus sign (it's actually green) was grayed out. It's the first time I've ever seen it grayed out, and also the first time I've ever tried to remove a claim then add it back that fast.

I play in a 12-team redraft with a continual rolling waiver list, which means everyone can put a claim in on a player, but the team with the higher priority pick gets them. Once you use your claim, you drop to #12 and work your way back up. When I removed my claim and then tried to re-add the same claim a few minutes later, the light colored plus sign (it's actually green) was grayed out. It's the first time I've ever seen it grayed out, and also the first time I've ever tried to remove a claim then add it back that fast.
No I get all that. I just mean when you see the light sign, have you ever been able to put in a claim for that player? I thought when the plus sign was the lighter colour (and you knew someone had a claim in for them), that the claims were in a 'no man zone' locked stage where no new claims could be put in on that player.

No I get all that. I just mean when you see the light sign, have you ever been able to put in a claim for that player? I thought when the plus sign was the lighter colour (and you knew someone had a claim in for them), that the claims were in a 'no man zone' locked stage where no new claims could be put in on that player.
No. When your league settings are set for "Continual Rolling", all teams may submit a claim for the same player, but only the team with highest claim gets them.

No. When your league settings are set for "Continual Rolling", all teams may submit a claim for the same player, but only the team with highest claim gets them.
haha i know this.

I'm saying, I don't think you can submit a claim for any player during that 20-30 min dead zone. I've tried this before without success. Like when you see a light coloured +, and you say to yourself "oh no someone else wants him, I'm going to try to get him too"... you can't do that.

Or have you ever used this loophole to make a new claim on a player that already had a claim in for him

haha i know this.

I'm saying, I don't think you can submit a claim for any player during that 20-30 min dead zone. I've tried this before without success. Like when you see a light coloured +, and you say to yourself "oh no someone else wants him, I'm going to try to get him too"... you can't do that.

Or have you ever used this loophole to make a new claim on a player that already had a claim in for him
Ahhhhhhhhh, now I get what you are asking. And you may be right. I've never tried to submit a claim in that small timeframe right before waivers process. I will test it out the next time I am awake. But either way, I did screw myself by removing my claim for Browning. Now I am stuck starting Danny DeVito!

After midnight Pacific, 3 AM Eastern, you can’t claim anyone that already has a pending claim. That includes the players that had a waiver claim placed within the previous couple of days. If Sunday night you put in a claim for someone who had already played that week, and then immediately change your mind and cancel the claim, Yahoo still treats that player as someone being claimed, and they’ll still be on waivers at 3:15 Eastern like you mentioned. Any of those players still on waivers as of 3 AM that are subject to be processed that same day, you can’t put a claim in until after that process is done.

It sounds to me like the gamble wasn’t that you initially put in the claim, it’s that you got cute hoping nobody else would claim him and that you could pick him up for free. Miscalculation on your part, it happens. But yeah I’ve done the same before. If I’m not in love with the top waiver pickups for that week, I hold on to my waiver priority and wait to see if a better player gets dropped. I think I was able to get Pacheco last year with that strategy when someone dropped him as part of the Wednesday waiver run. You can save the bullet unless you really need to use it. If you needed Browning then you should’ve played it safe and kept the claim. It’s fine though. Live and learn.

This doesn't make sense to me. Yahoo definitely allows you to change your mind if the claims hasn't been processed yet.

This doesn't make sense to me. Yahoo definitely allows you to change your mind if the claims hasn't been processed yet.
The plus sign will be grayed out for any players still on waivers after 3 AM Eastern on Wednesday if they’re expected to be processed in that time between 3 and 4 AM.

After midnight Pacific, 3 AM Eastern, you can’t claim anyone that already has a pending claim. That includes the players that had a waiver claim placed within the previous couple of days. If Sunday night you put in a claim for someone who had already played that week, and then immediately change your mind and cancel the claim, Yahoo still treats that player as someone being claimed, and they’ll still be on waivers at 3:15 Eastern like you mentioned. Any of those players still on waivers as of 3 AM that are subject to be processed that same day, you can’t put a claim in until after that process is done.
That's what I thought. So @TheWinz , the loophole exists, but not for the reason you mentioned (you can't SEE someone has a claim in for them and THEN make the claim for that guy... but try it out next time you're up. Pretty sure I've tried though and you can't).

The advantage you can have with this 'loophole" is being the first to grab a FCFS player in that 20 min window before waivers officially go through.

Users who are viewing this thread