What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (13 Viewers)

That's true.  I just keep thinking of all the people I see posting on social media talking about how all these spoiled athletes need to shut up and stop disrespecting the flag, anthem and military.  I get a strong feeling they haven't taken much time to see things from the players point of view in order to try and understand them.  To each their own I suppose.
Perhaps.  Or they believe they should be protesting those they have a problem with like City Hall or the Police station.  There's plenty of stupid going around on both sides including those telling people what they shouldn't be offended by.

Perhaps.  Or they believe they should be protesting those they have a problem with like City Hall or the Police station.  There's plenty of stupid going around on both sides including those telling people what they shouldn't be offended by.
I'm fine with people being offended by it but I find some a bit of an overreaction and plenty of it hypocritical.

I'm fine with people being offended by it but I find some a bit of an overreaction and plenty of it hypocritical.
I do too.  Quite hypocritical that many screaming about people exercising their free speech right are complaining about the complainers exercising theirs.

I do too.  Quite hypocritical that many screaming about people exercising their free speech right are complaining about the complainers exercising theirs.
Yep.  And those offended by it are the ones always making fun of people who are offended by everything.  Funny how that works.  About as smart as giving credit to Trump for the market but then blaming Obama for the drop even though neither are responsible.  It's all a bunch of childish nonsense.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernicks-grievance-against-nfl-moving-forward-dates-to-be-determined/ 

Colin Kaepernick's grievance against NFL moving forward, dates to be determined

Colin Kaepernick's grievance against the NFL is moving forward, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, with his attorneys and the league recently exchanging almost 100,000 documents.

Kaepernick filed his collusion suit against the NFL in midseason - after a handful of teams had experienced injuries to starting quarterbacks yet with the former Super Bowl QB unable to secure even a workout all season. Kaepernick remained unsigned through the entire 2017 season and has visitied with just one team since leaving the 49ers last year (Seattle). 

As part of the discovery process, Kaepernick's lawyers sought electronic communications (texts, emails, etc.) from numerous league and team employees - including high-ranking NFL officials, coaches, and general managers from teams like Dallas, Baltimore, Tennesee and others who signed quarterbacks and worked out quarterbacks in season. ‎Certain search teams were chosen, and, when those terms came up in such communications those documents were to be exchanged.

That process took place in recent weeks. While Commissioner Roger Goodell, when asked about the grievance during his pre-Super Bowl press conference, stated that the league office is not involved in teams signing players, Kaepernick's legal team could explore whether any such dialogie took place. They are also expected to pursue the role of Donald Trump - who is close to some owners and spoke out agains Kaepernick and other players publicly - played in setting a climate in which the former star quarterback could not secure a tryout for a job in the NFL last season.

The sides will set dates this winter for the deposition phase, with Kaepernick's lawyers seeking to speak with Jerry Jones, Jed York and many others as they attempt to prove certain parties may have colluded against their client.

Can we get an update on this, please?
Hey, I'm one of those who would have told you back in December that Kaepernick was a much better QB than Nick Foles. Kudos to Foles for proving me wrong- I always liked the guy, and he made me super happy on Sunday. :thumbup:

But that doesn't change the fact that Kaepernick was not given a proper look by teams for political reasons. Personally I think that stinks. I don't know if it's something you should be able to sue over, I kinda doubt it because I don't believe it was collusion. But I still think it stinks.

But that doesn't change the fact that Kaepernick was not given a proper look by teams for political reasons.
they also don't give players looks because they smoke dope, smack a woman, break team rules, are a distraction to the team etc etc etc

all valid reasons to not have a player on your team I think - also gotta consider fans and how they react 

You never fail to disappoint. 
I know when he said it ..... still the fact remains Kap can't kneel and protest before games because he doesn't play - he still doesn't play. 

Tory Smith is correct - however, there are times and places for protests without being grossly offensive to the fan base and people in general. 

If Smith is released, and he can't find another WR job in the NFL I suspect he too will issue a "I'm not kneeling anymore" statement

Money talks 

I know when he said it ..... still the fact remains Kap can't kneel and protest before games because he doesn't play - he still doesn't play. 

Tory Smith is correct - however, there are times and places for protests without being grossly offensive to the fan base and people in general. 

If Smith is released, and he can't find another WR job in the NFL I suspect he too will issue a "I'm not kneeling anymore" statement

Money talks 
Kaep never released or made a "I'm not kneeling anymore" statement. That was a false report by Jason La Canfora that he later retracted.

Linda Sarsour‏ @lsarsour Feb 4

A day will come when we will walk down #ColinKaepernick Boulevard. This is how history works in this country. We chastise people who do what’s right and honor them decades later when we realize they were right all along.

#ImWithKap #BoycottNFL

squistion said:
Linda Sarsour‏ @lsarsour Feb 4

A day will come when we will walk down #ColinKaepernick Boulevard. This is how history works in this country. We chastise people who do what’s right and honor them decades later when we realize they were right all along.

#ImWithKap #BoycottNFL
 He will be lucky if he is remembered in a 30 for 30 on ESPN or maybe an answer in a future edition of trivia pursuit. 

That's true.  I just keep thinking of all the people I see posting on social media talking about how all these spoiled athletes need to shut up and stop disrespecting the flag, anthem and military.  I get a strong feeling they haven't taken much time to see things from the players point of view in order to try and understand them.  To each their own I suppose.
"It is an aspect of their sense of superiority that the white people of America believe they have so little to learn."

He will be lucky if he is remembered in a 30 for 30 on ESPN or maybe an answer in a future edition of trivia pursuit. 
He's a symbol of something intangible now -- Kaepernick's name will live on.

IMHO, his charity work is far more impactful than his kneeling. But the kneeling is memorable, while the charity work is behind the scenes.

Something I have often wondered, not being part of a minority:

How does the line get drawn between "Kaepernick kneeled during the anthem" to "Police treat minorities more fairly?" The kneeling is a way to demonstrate dissatisfaction, yes ... but how does the kneeling influence society overall to the point that police actually change their minds about how to treat minorities? Or maybe it's recognized that current police have habits and tendencies too baked-in to change, so the hope is that future police can be different?

Just seems like Kaepernick is getting far too much credit for changing the world through kneeling during the anthem. To me, the kneeling is really inconsequential while his behind-the-scenes work is much more important. But then -- that's symbolism: meaning is not necessarily imbued through logic.

He's a symbol of something intangible now -- Kaepernick's name will live on.

IMHO, his charity work is far more impactful than his kneeling. But the kneeling is memorable, while the charity work is behind the scenes.

Something I have often wondered, not being part of a minority:

How does the line get drawn between "Kaepernick kneeled during the anthem" to "Police treat minorities more fairly?" The kneeling is a way to demonstrate dissatisfaction, yes ... but how does the kneeling influence society overall to the point that police actually change their minds about how to treat minorities? Or maybe it's recognized that current police have habits and tendencies too baked-in to change, so the hope is that future police can be different?

Just seems like Kaepernick is getting far too much credit for changing the world through kneeling during the anthem. To me, the kneeling is really inconsequential while his behind-the-scenes work is much more important. But then -- that's symbolism: meaning is not necessarily imbued through logic.
It's an awareness campaign.  Gandhi's hunger strikes didn't have anything to do with food, they brought attention to injustices.

9000 replies in a thread dedicated to a nobody. 

Impressive I'd say.
A nobody who Time named as one of the 100 Most Influential People in the world. A nobody who made Time's top 10 finalists among voters for Person of the Year for 2017. A nobody who was named by Sports Illustrated to be recipient of the Mohammad Ali Legacy Award. A nobody whose critics attribute to being the reason for the decline in NFL ratings. A nobody who Trump singled out in a speech and referred to a SOB that should be taken off the field.

That all seems to be a lot of attention for someone you consider a nobody.

It's an awareness campaign.  Gandhi's hunger strikes didn't have anything to do with food, they brought attention to injustices.
I know, but I think we're in a different place in the 2010s United States than where India was in the 1930s-40s. Societal awareness of the police issue in America was achieved after Ferguson and the creation of Black Lives Matter, IMHO. After that, what American could really say "I didn't know, I had no idea?"

At some point, "raising awareness" has to give way to "changing minds", or else nothing is gained.

Doug B said:
I know, but I think we're in a different place in the 2010s United States than where India was in the 1930s-40s. Societal awareness of the police issue in America was achieved after Ferguson and the creation of Black Lives Matter, IMHO. After that, what American could really say "I didn't know, I had no idea?"

At some point, "raising awareness" has to give way to "changing minds", or else nothing is gained.
Somebody gets it

http://thehoopdoctors.com/2018/02/kobe-bryant-says-he-would-have-followed-colin-kaepernicks-lead-if-he-were-still-in-nba/

Kobe Bryant Says He Would Have Followed Colin Kaepernick’s Lead If He Were Still in NBA

If Kobe Bryant was still in the NBA, he would not, it seems, be standing for the National Anthem.

That, or he’d be finding some sort of other way to follow Colin Kaepernick’s lead.

Speaking with The Undefeated’s Jemele Hill, Bryant said he would have absolutely followed in the footsteps of the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback when it came to peacefully protesting during the national anthem—no matter how much criticism he might have bore for it:

Hill: Obviously one of the biggest issues in sports was the National Anthem peaceful protests that took place with the NFL players. Given the NBA’s stance on standing for the National Anthem, seeing the landscape in sports, if you were still playing, would that have something you had participated in?

Bryant: Yeah, I would have participated in it, for sure. I’m sure I would have gotten some flack for it. That’s fine. I think what Colin’s message was is a simple one: It’s police brutality needs to stop. We need to take a look at that.

Here’s the clip that The Undefeated posted in its entirety: (at above link).

The NBA plays home to some of the most progressive and outspoken athletes in professional sports, so Bryant’s sentiments aren’t exactly a shocker. He never seemed to be the most relatable player throughout his career—certainly not someone who would spearhead Kaepernick’s sort of social charge.

But Bryant changed as he entered his twilight. He became more outspoken and congenial and just plain candid. It doesn’t take much to envision him staging his own form of protest or mirroring Kaepernick’s—even if only for a game.

Can we let this thread just die the way it should have ages ago?  What is the need to post articles/tweets wholesale without any commentary at all.  People can go read their own articles if they want.  Just let it die  :deadhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:
http://thehoopdoctors.com/2018/02/kobe-bryant-says-he-would-have-followed-colin-kaepernicks-lead-if-he-were-still-in-nba/

Kobe Bryant Says He Would Have Followed Colin Kaepernick’s Lead If He Were Still in NBA

If Kobe Bryant was still in the NBA, he would not, it seems, be standing for the National Anthem.

That, or he’d be finding some sort of other way to follow Colin Kaepernick’s lead.

Speaking with The Undefeated’s Jemele Hill, Bryant said he would have absolutely followed in the footsteps of the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback when it came to peacefully protesting during the national anthem—no matter how much criticism he might have bore for it:

Hill: Obviously one of the biggest issues in sports was the National Anthem peaceful protests that took place with the NFL players. Given the NBA’s stance on standing for the National Anthem, seeing the landscape in sports, if you were still playing, would that have something you had participated in?

Bryant: Yeah, I would have participated in it, for sure. I’m sure I would have gotten some flack for it. That’s fine. I think what Colin’s message was is a simple one: It’s police brutality needs to stop. We need to take a look at that.

Here’s the clip that The Undefeated posted in its entirety: (at above link).

The NBA plays home to some of the most progressive and outspoken athletes in professional sports, so Bryant’s sentiments aren’t exactly a shocker. He never seemed to be the most relatable player throughout his career—certainly not someone who would spearhead Kaepernick’s sort of social charge.

But Bryant changed as he entered his twilight. He became more outspoken and congenial and just plain candid. It doesn’t take much to envision him staging his own form of protest or mirroring Kaepernick’s—even if only for a game.
Having an accused rapist jump on board might not have been great for messaging. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we let this thread just die the way it should have ages ago?  What is the need to post articles/tweets wholesale without any commentary at all.  People can go read their own articles if they want.  Just let it die  :deadhorse:
Couldn't that be said about the majority of threads in the Political Subforum then?

Half the post the last three pages are just articles quoted wholesale with absolutely no commentary.  That is bad even for the politics subforum.  
I don't see the problem.  Whatever I don't care to see or read I just skip over.  If it's worth commenting on I do so and if not I move on.  It's not much different than any other number of threads in any of the forums on here.

How about you show a little bit of restraint and just not open the thing?

I've never said it wasn't, so what's the point if your post?
My point was that if you want Kapernick and Kobe to acknowledge violence against police officers, it stands to reason you also think that the right should acknowledge that police violence against minorities is an issue.

But I don't hear very much of that from the right at all.

Can't have it both ways.

That may not be a bad idea.  I don't think they are against cops in general, just bad ones.
No, and Kaep indirectly addresses this in November 2016:

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-bears/49ers-qb-colin-kaepernick-anthem-protest-about-change-not-just-police-violence

[...]

Kaepernick began his sitting protest during San Francisco preseason games last August. It ignited a national firestorm because it was viewed as anti-police, a protest against police violence.

But for Kaepernick, it was never a police issue.

“I’ve been very clear from the beginning that I’m against systematic oppression,” Kaepernick said. “Police violence is just one of the symptoms of that oppression. For me that is something that needs to be addressed but it’s not the whole issue.”

No, and Kaep indirectly addresses this in November 2016:

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-bears/49ers-qb-colin-kaepernick-anthem-protest-about-change-not-just-police-violence

[...]

Kaepernick began his sitting protest during San Francisco preseason games last August. It ignited a national firestorm because it was viewed as anti-police, a protest against police violence.

But for Kaepernick, it was never a police issue.

“I’ve been very clear from the beginning that I’m against systematic oppression,” Kaepernick said. “Police violence is just one of the symptoms of that oppression. For me that is something that needs to be addressed but it’s not the whole issue.”
The guy in pig socks indirectly addresses the issue.   :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread