What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (7 Viewers)

Not really a leap, considering he agreed with me in the very next post...
I don't recall him, or anyone else, saying cops being violent with innocent minorities wasn't a problem.  Quite a leap for you to assume you were finally getting somewhere.  Seems like you're way behind.

I don't recall him, or anyone else, saying cops being violent with innocent minorities wasn't a problem.  Quite a leap for you to assume you were finally getting somewhere.  Seems like you're way behind.
Ok, I'll play:

Quote me a public figure from the right who has a problem with Kapernick kneeling, but admits that police brutality towards minorities is an issue that needs to be addressed.

I didn't realize that the cops dressed as pigs on his socks were just rogue cops
That was his intent:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-wore-socks-with-police-pigs-on-them/

[...]

In a statement issued on Instagram Thursday, Kaepernick confirmed he was making a statement with the socks.

"I wore these socks, in the past, because the rogue cops that are allowed to hold positions in police departments, not only put the community in danger, but also put the cops that have the right intentions in danger by creating an environment of tension and mistrust. I have two uncles and friends who are police officers and work to protect and serve ALL people. So before these socks, which were worn before I took my public stance, are used to distract from the real issues, I wanted to address this immediately."

That was his intent:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-wore-socks-with-police-pigs-on-them/

[...]

In a statement issued on Instagram Thursday, Kaepernick confirmed he was making a statement with the socks.

"I wore these socks, in the past, because the rogue cops that are allowed to hold positions in police departments, not only put the community in danger, but also put the cops that have the right intentions in danger by creating an environment of tension and mistrust. I have two uncles and friends who are police officers and work to protect and serve ALL people. So before these socks, which were worn before I took my public stance, are used to distract from the real issues, I wanted to address this immediately."
You do realize he had no plan and made this crap up on the fly?

You do realize he had no plan and made this crap up on the fly?
When he first started kneeling (before the socks pictures surfaced) he stated that his protest was not against all LEOs (as the BLM movement has not been against all police officers, contrary to the claims of its critics) so, his comment about rogue cops was consistent with that.

When he first started kneeling (before the socks pictures surfaced) he stated that his protest was not against all LEOs (as the BLM movement has not been against all police officers, contrary to the claims of its critics) so, his comment about rogue cops was consistent with that.
Does he ever comment when criminals execute police officers like what I posted earlier today?  If not, should he?

Does he ever comment when criminals execute police officers like what I posted earlier today?  If not, should he?
I can't speak for Kaep, although I imagine that he feels that any police officer singled out and killed simply because they are a LEO is tragic. However, I don't see any reason why he should publically comment, as it would seem to have no connection with the issues he addressed in his protest, which were "the oppression of people of color in the United States and ongoing issues with police brutality."

His comments are completely inconsistent. 

I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color.
Does he just mean rogue countrymen? 

On the collusion case deposition front...

Jason La Canfora‏ @JasonLaCanfora 7h7 hours ago

Colin Kaepernick's legal team has requested deposition w/ ex-Papa John's CEO John Schnatter according to source w/knowledge of situation...

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/963516222838067200

Charles Robinson‏ @CharlesRobinson 7h7 hours ago

The depositions in Colin Kaepernick’s grievance against the #NFL are headed for scheduling later this month. And a new person has been added to the list: commissioner Roger Goodell’s wife.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-colin-kaepernicks-deposition-list-nfl-grievance-case-includes-roger-goodells-wife-202417771.html

Kaep never has been a winner and won't win this battle either.  If he was a winner, there is no doubt in my mind, he would be on a NFL team somewhere.  

squistion said:
On the collusion case deposition front...

Jason La Canfora‏ @JasonLaCanfora 7h7 hours ago

Colin Kaepernick's legal team has requested deposition w/ ex-Papa John's CEO John Schnatter according to source w/knowledge of situation...

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/963516222838067200

Charles Robinson‏ @CharlesRobinson 7h7 hours ago

The depositions in Colin Kaepernick’s grievance against the #NFL are headed for scheduling later this month. And a new person has been added to the list: commissioner Roger Goodell’s wife.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-colin-kaepernicks-deposition-list-nfl-grievance-case-includes-roger-goodells-wife-202417771.html
Well this proves Colin never wants to play in the league again. Good for him, probably better for his long term health. 

Well this proves Colin never wants to play in the league again. Good for him, probably better for his long term health. 
Indeed, how often has it been said that deposing the ex-CEO of Papa John's or Goodell's wife is an NFL career killer? Seriously, I don't think this proves anything about his intention to play again and the decision on whom to depose was made by his attorneys not Kaep. And I doubt the decision for any NFL team to hire him in the future will turn on the depositions of either John Schnatter or Jane Goodell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, how often has it been said that deposing the ex-CEO of Papa John's or Goodell's wife is an NFL career killer? Seriously, I don't think this proves anything about his intention to play again and the decision on whom to depose was made by his attorneys not Kaep. And I doubt the decision for any NFL team to hire him in the future will turn on the depositions of either John Schnatter or Jane Goodell.
Nobody wants to have to deal with the headache of getting their wife deposed. Especially for a below average QB that likes to get in fights with his teammates over women. If Colin didnt want these people deposed, they wouldnt get deposed. You cant pawn it off on his slimy lawyer.  

Nobody wants to have to deal with the headache of getting their wife deposed. Especially for a below average QB that likes to get in fights with his teammates over women. If Colin didnt want these people deposed, they wouldnt get deposed. You cant pawn it off on his slimy lawyer.  
Goodell doesn't make the roster decisions for individual teams. He can't very well send out a memo saying, Kaepernick's attorneys deposed my wife so don't sign him! (and if he did Kaep would probably need no other proof to win his grievance). I seriously doubt his attorney's give Kaep a list beforehand of everyone in this action that they plan to depose for his approval - it usually doesn't work that way, they just depose whoever they want to depose.

And players getting in fights with teammates is not all that unusual. It was never officially reported what the fight with Smith was about, people speculated it was about Nessa Diab, but that has never been verified publically by anyone. Also, of all the reasons given by anonymous sources as to why Kaep didn't get signed with a team this year, his one time only scrap at training camp was not given as one of them.

Goodell doesn't make the roster decisions for individual teams. He can't very well send out a memo saying, Kaepernick's attorneys deposed my wife so don't sign him! (and if he did Kaep would probably need no other proof to win his grievance). I seriously doubt his attorney's give Kaep a list beforehand of everyone in this action that they plan to depose for his approval - it usually doesn't work that way, they just depose whoever they want to depose.

And players getting in fights with teammates is not all that unusual. It was never officially reported what the fight with Smith was about, people speculated it was about Nessa Diab, but that has never been verified publically by anyone. Also, of all the reasons given by anonymous sources as to why Kaep didn't get signed with a team this year, his one time only scrap at training camp was not given as one of them.
Who said goodell has to say anything? It is a jerk move to depose goodells wife. People will see it as a jerk move. Who wants to have their wife deposed? Bring in a cop hater for a workout. See that he sucks. Decide not to sign him and boom he deposes your wife as a thank you.

Who said goodell has to say anything? It is a jerk move to depose goodells wife. People will see it as a jerk move. Who wants to have their wife deposed? Bring in a cop hater for a workout. See that he sucks. Decide not to sign him and boom he deposes your wife as a thank you.
Goodell did not decide to not sign Kaep, he can't, he doesn't make player personnel decisions for individual teams. And it is Kaep's lawyer, not Kaep who deposed Jane Goodell, something that he has no control over unless every move his attorney's make in this case is preapproved by him, which would be highly unusual.

Goodell did not decide to not sign Kaep, he can't, he doesn't make player personnel decisions for individual teams. And it is Kaep's lawyer, not Kaep who deposed Jane Goodell, something that he has no control over unless every move his attorney's make in this case is preapproved by him, which would be highly unusual.
You make the weirdest arguments. Nobody said goodell decided not to sign him. 

Kaepernick is unemployed. I would bet with all that vouch sitting time he knows exactly what is going on in this case.

Like i said thats a good way to never get signed and it is better for his health anyway. He doesnt need more shots to the head. 

parasaurolophus said:
You make the weirdest arguments. Nobody said goodell decided not to sign him. 

Kaepernick is unemployed. I would bet with all that vouch sitting time he knows exactly what is going on in this case.

Like i said thats a good way to never get signed and it is better for his health anyway. He doesnt need more shots to the head. 
The wording in your paragraph suggested it, I thought it was a weird argument for you to make too, but I didn't write it. Maybe in the future take a little more care and what you have to say won't be so ambiguous and subject to misinterpretation.

http://nynmedia.com/news/this-is-how-colin-kaepernick-s-activism-has-affected-new-york-nonprofits

This is how Colin Kaepernick’s activism has affected New York nonprofits

It’s hard to say exactly how many deep-pocket donors there are like NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, but he’s as good as they come, according to several New York nonprofits that got a slice of his million-dollar pledge.

The player-turned activist ignited a national debate about the intersection of sports and activism after he began sitting – and later kneeling – during pre-game renditions of the national anthem. Some critics said he was just out to promote himself through such high-profile actions.

But Kaepernick has put his activism into action across the country through a pledge to donate $1 million to social justice initiatives big and small. The donations came out of nowhere, nonprofit leaders said – just an email from a Kaepernick associate stating that he wishes to give without that many strings attached, part of his low-key approach to giving.

Kaepernick could not be reached for comment.

The leader of at least one recipient – Coalition for the Homeless – was skeptical at first that it was really Kaepernick until the money transfer arrived in his organization’s coffers. A rough-and-tumble childhood also meant that Kaepernick had a first-hand exposure to many of the issues facing the clients of the nonprofit, which received $25,000 from him last fall.

"He knows the struggles that a lot of the people that we help here at the coalition have been through," Coalition for the Homeless Executive Director Dave Giffen said in a telephone interview. “We often deal with issues that Colin was bringing light to in his campaign.”

Other New York groups that received money include Justice League NYC,  Communities United for Police Reform and 100 Suits for 100 Men, which helps keep people out of prison by providing free suits outside courthouses so that criminal defendants can give judges and juries a snazzy first impression.

The final $100,000 installment of the two-year effort did not earmark funds for any New York-based groups, but the “Colin Kaepernick effect” lives on long after funds arrive in a nonprofit’s bank account.

The publicity inspired more than a dozen donations in his honor the week after he donated $33,000 to the Lower East Side Girls Club last year. That money will allow more girls to take part in an initiative promoting community development and civic engagement, and continues to pay dividend past the end-of-year fundraising season, Valerie Polanco, a spokesperson for the organization, said in an email.

He’s a force multiplier when it comes to raising money, according to Polanco.

“People have been donating in his honor as recently as two weeks ago,” she said. “It's the gift that keeps on giving!”

The wording in your paragraph suggested it, I thought it was a weird argument for you to make too, but I didn't write it. Maybe in the future take a little more care and what you have to say won't be so ambiguous and subject to misinterpretation.
Not even close. You made up a fake argument to counter. Not a single person on this board thinks Roger Goodell brings in players to work them out and sign them. To try and twist anybody's words into that is ridiculous. 

Why can't you just stick to the actual discussion at hand for once?

squistion said:
False. He just needs to say, "Hey lawyer dude, no need to bring wives into this. That is crossing a line and would really be a POS move. I mean it is bad enough that I am wasting these owners and coaches time and now Papa John too, but let's not go too far." 

Besides, it says right here it was his decision...

Colin Kaepernick wants depositions from Papa John's CEO, Roger Goodell's wife

squistion said:
Ray Lewis making up stuff.
Can I have a link to proof he made it up? I can see why you would be on opposite sides as Ray Lewis. I mean he has been arrested and he has never worn pig socks to my knowledge.

False. He just needs to say, "Hey lawyer dude, no need to bring wives into this. That is crossing a line and would really be a POS move. I mean it is bad enough that I am wasting these owners and coaches time and now Papa John too, but let's not go too far." 

Besides, it says right here it was his decision...
Actually, no it doesn't. From your link, that was the decision of his legal team, not Kaep - If they are like most attorneys, they make the decisions of who to depose without his preapproval (although, yes, he could veto that after the fact, but there is no reason to believe Kaep as a non-lawyer is no more hands on in the handling of his grievance than are most plaintiffs in such actions):

According to CBS Sports, Kaepernick's legal team has added Papa John's CEO John Schnatter to the deposition list this week. The group wants answers regarding any discussions Schnatter had with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones which may have led to the pizza company's CEO to make comments about declining ratings and how it affected his business.

Jones is also reportedly on the deposition list along with Texans owner Bob McNair and Patriots owner Robert Kraft, according to Yahoo

Can I have a link to proof he made it up? I can see why you would be on opposite sides as Ray Lewis. I mean he has been arrested and he has never worn pig socks to my knowledge.
It is just his word and his word only that no one with the Ravens organization confirmed happened. So at this point it can't be proven or disproven.

This was Deadspins take on it:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-colin-kaepernick-collusion-case-papa-johns-john-schnatter-jane-goodell-deposition-list/1avjjpp4poqer1gslibh7mh9ou

Ray Lewis’s new role as an Inside The NFL analyst on Showtime saw the former Ravens linebacker immediately inserting himself into the story as he unraveled a bizarre and preposterous story that blamed a tweet by Colin Kaepernick’s girlfriend, Nessa Diab, for the former 49ers quarterback still being unemployed by an NFL team.

[...]

Fellow Inside The NFL panelist Phil Simms immediately expressed skepticism about Lewis’s tale, asking why this was the first time anyone had heard it. “Because everybody wanted to tell their side of the story,” Lewis answered before spewing a series of words that, if arranged differently, might have constructed a coherent idea.

Miraculously, Ray Lewis managed to present a version of events that both absolves the Ravens and himself from any responsibility in the failure to sign Colin Kaepernick; indeed, Lewis managed to make himself, this time, the victim of a character assassination.

Actually, no it doesn't. From your link, that was the decision of his legal team, not Kaep - If they are like most attorneys, they make the decisions of who to depose without his preapproval (although, yes, he could veto that after the fact, but there is no reason to believe Kaep as a non-lawyer is no more hands on in the handling of his grievance than are most plaintiffs in such actions):

According to CBS Sports, Kaepernick's legal team has added Papa John's CEO John Schnatter to the deposition list this week. The group wants answers regarding any discussions Schnatter had with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones which may have led to the pizza company's CEO to make comments about declining ratings and how it affected his business.

Jones is also reportedly on the deposition list along with Texans owner Bob McNair and Patriots owner Robert Kraft, according to Yahoo
Of course his legal team added them. I mean does anybody really believe that Colin went down to the courthouse and got the paperwork and added papa and jane? Of course not. Technically you could argue his lawyer filed the grievance then too. I mean why not right? If we are just making things up let's get Colin completely off the hook. 

That headline was clear. It says pig socks wants it. Well actually it used his real name, but you know who I am talking about.  

It is just his word and his word only that no one with the Ravens organization confirmed happened. So at this point it can't be proven or disproven.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-colin-kaepernick-collusion-case-papa-johns-john-schnatter-jane-goodell-deposition-list/1avjjpp4poqer1gslibh7mh9ou

Ray Lewis’s new role as an Inside The NFL analyst on Showtime saw the former Ravens linebacker immediately inserting himself into the story as he unraveled a bizarre and preposterous story that blamed a tweet by Colin Kaepernick’s girlfriend, Nessa Diab, for the former 49ers quarterback still being unemployed by an NFL team.

[...]

Fellow Inside The NFL panelist Phil Simms immediately expressed skepticism about Lewis’s tale, asking why this was the first time anyone had heard it. “Because everybody wanted to tell their side of the story,” Lewis answered before spewing a series of words that, if arranged differently, might have constructed a coherent idea.

Miraculously, Ray Lewis managed to present a version of events that both absolves the Ravens and himself from any responsibility in the failure to sign Colin Kaepernick; indeed, Lewis managed to make himself, this time, the victim of a character assassination.
Ok so just a theory you happen to get hooked by. Thanks for clearing that up. I think Ray Lewis is more credible than you. Yikes. Can't believe I just said that, but it's true.

Ok so just a theory you happen to get hooked by. Thanks for clearing that up. I think Ray Lewis is more credible than you. Yikes. Can't believe I just said that, but it's true.
:mellow:

Gee, I dunno, I have never had murder charges brought against me, nor did I plead guilty to obstruction of justice in connection with the stabbing deaths of two men.

[...]

Surprised to see you use Phil Simms' name. Would you say you consider him a reliable source? Might want to google some of his comments regarding Colin before saying so. 

Surprised to see you use Phil Simms' name. Would you say you consider him a reliable source? Might want to google some of his comments regarding Colin before saying so. 
Simm's feelings about the kneeling is irrelevant to his opinion on whether Ray Lewis story is credible or not. One can be against the anthem protest and still disbelieve what Lewis said, no?

In any event, I don't have a problem with Simms' comments re Kaep and if there are harsher comments out there, so what?

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/18/chris-simms-on-colin-kaepernick-id-say-hes-not-in-the-nfl-next-year/

“If you made me bet, I’d say he’s not in the NFL next year because the NFL is the ultimate right wing, Republican league there is,” Simms said. “And I’m shocked about all the hate I hear towards him from NFL coaches around the league.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest-boomer-esiason-take-bart-scott-phil-simms/u2sdxljctify1ndysz892bdha

Phil Simms, CBS's lead NFL analyst, told Glauber that Kaepernick has to live with his decision, one that Simms would not have made. Simms also said all will be forgotten if Kaepernick plays well.

Simm's feelings about the kneeling is irrelevant to his opinion on whether Ray Lewis story is credible or not. One can be against the anthem protest and still disbelieve what Lewis said, no?

In any event, I don't have a problem with Simms' comments re Kaep and if there are harsher comments out there, so what?

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/18/chris-simms-on-colin-kaepernick-id-say-hes-not-in-the-nfl-next-year/

“If you made me bet, I’d say he’s not in the NFL next year because the NFL is the ultimate right wing, Republican league there is,” Simms said. “And I’m shocked about all the hate I hear towards him from NFL coaches around the league.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest-boomer-esiason-take-bart-scott-phil-simms/u2sdxljctify1ndysz892bdha

Phil Simms, CBS's lead NFL analyst, told Glauber that Kaepernick has to live with his decision, one that Simms would not have made. Simms also said all will be forgotten if Kaepernick plays well.
So in your opinion is Phil Simms a credible source?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :excited: :thumbup: :pickle: :suds: :crazy: :headbang: :cry: :towelwave: :tfp:

That is a pretty silly way to evaluate credibility. 
Says the guy who thinks that someone who was charged with murder and pled guilty to obstruction of justice in connection with the stabbing deaths of two men is more credible than I.

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

I think Ray Lewis is more credible than you. Yikes. Can't believe I just said that, but it's true.

Users who are viewing this thread