What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

And on that day, Net Neutrality died (1 Viewer)

And it did happen in forms. Comcast throttled and made Netflix pay more. Verizon blocked tethering apps. Now that we are more reliant on internet the impacts could likely be much more significant.
And it's not just content and apps. They try to control the hardware too and the software that runs on it. Welcome to your next 5G device powered by Verizon that launches 6 months later than it should, with only half the functionality enabled and that only gets one software update a year. 

Comcast is it's own beast, while not classified a Tier 1 provider, they operate as such due to their extensive network. Very similar in size and scope to the other 7 Tier 1s in the US.
Right, Comcast is not a global provider.  If the power companies were allowed to become ISP's and use BPL (broadband over powerlines) or easily add fiber to the cable they already have, they would quickly be able to cover most of the country.  Seeing that it is probably less than 1% of traffic that needs a global provider, the issue as I see it ,really is that Netflix and Google are riding for free on the last mile of providers.

Here are two similar articles about Chattanooga was sued by Comcast and how they started their own ISP and now have 10 gigabit service.  Most ISP's are lucky if they have 100 megabit service.

https://www.thenation.com/article/chattanooga-was-a-typical-post-industrial-city-then-it-began-offering-municipal-broadband/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/10gbps-internet-offered-by-city-fighting-anti-muni-broadband-laws/

I actually haven't seen Trump openly make a statement on which side of the scale he is on this is due in three years. His actions suggest he is for this but he hasn't been as overt about it as many issues. 
Wasn't Ajit Pai appointed by Trump or by this admin for this specific purpose?  

Impossible to predict, but it's a tough case to make here. To delay implementation while they litigate it they'd have to get a preliminary injunction, which among other things requires them to show that whatever harm you allege couldn't be corrected if you ultimately win the case. In the regulatory context it's easier to get if there's something physical being approved.  Like for example if the government authorizes a project you think harms the environment, you can't un-harm the environment three years down the road. I don't know if there's something like that here.
Scrolling through twitter I've seen it said that this repeal will have to be defended in court before it becomes law and similar attempts have been defeated twice.  So there is hope.

matttyl said:
Huh?  Maybe where you live.  Where I live, I have one option - Comcast.  And I have a wife who works from home, so we need high speed internet.  They could literally raise their rates to a few hundred a month, just for internet service, and we'd pay it. 
Couldn't they have raised their rates anyway? Is this a net-neutrality issue?

What's to keep the next administration from re-instituting these rules? Especially if ISP's start abusing the power they've held all but 2 years in the age of the internet.

Scott Weiner just tweeted this. Can they do this? If so,  :thumbup:

FCC just repealed net neutrality. When CA Legislature reconvenes in January, I‘ll introduce a bill to adopt net neutrality as a requirement in CA. If FCC won’t protect free/open internet, we will. #NetNeutrality is key to protecting our democracy, esp in this authoritarian age. https://twitter.com/Scott_Wiener/status/941371454267916289/video/1

okay, I'm late to the party.  Wasn't part of the net neutrality a deal where if a website or whatever had political commentary then they had to somehow give the other side the same amount of coverage?  Tobias would know.

thanx

I’ve voted R my entire life but if this doesn’t change my vote will. I suspect many more feel the same way. 

How stupid of Republicans to back something so unpopular and such an active part of everyone’s daily life. 
Don’t forget about them also voting for limits on Class Action Lawsuits and businesses right to force arbitration in their terms and conditions. I received a heck of a letter from my Representative Emmer (R) that actually tried to explain how it was a good thing for consumers. Condescending as hell.

I have 3 options- weird that some people have no choice? 
comcast has a monopoly in Philly. 4th largest city in the country and these big companies like Comcast and Verizon have built the market where you have no other option. my parents live about an hour and a half outside of Philly and they have 4-5 options

Don’t forget about them also voting for limits on Class Action Lawsuits and businesses right to force arbitration in their terms and conditions. I received a heck of a letter from my Representative Emmer (R) that actually tried to explain how it was a good thing for consumers. Condescending as hell.
They have rolled back a lot of the means consumers had to protect themselves from banks, credit companies, etc. 

comcast has a monopoly in Philly. 4th largest city in the country and these big companies like Comcast and Verizon have built the market where you have no other option. my parents live about an hour and a half outside of Philly and they have 4-5 options
Well the local monopoly that is controlling your access to TV and internet  just got a lot more powerful. 

I’ve voted R my entire life but if this doesn’t change my vote will. I suspect many more feel the same way. 

How stupid of Republicans to back something so unpopular and such an active part of everyone’s daily life. 
You should have seen it coming.  But well done getting that barn door finally closed.

okay, I'm late to the party.  Wasn't part of the net neutrality a deal where if a website or whatever had political commentary then they had to somehow give the other side the same amount of coverage?  Tobias would know.

thanx
That's the fairness doctrine iirc.

Snotbubbles said:
Does this mean if I have a stream box that wifi to that box could be blocked?
What it means is that you could end up having to pay extra for a "streaming" package.

It wouldn't surprise me to eventually see your internet bill like your phone bill where you are charged for data/usage. 
That used to be the case but competition stopped it.  I don't think we'll ever see per GB charges again. 

What I do envision is something like:

Base Package Speed:  20GB = $10, 50GB =$25, 100GB =$50, etc..

• Video Streaming Package* (includes Youtube, Netflix, etc..): $5
  • Ecommerce Package (includes Amazon, Newegg, Paypall, Ebay, etc..): $3
  • Gaming package (Includes PSN, XBOX, World of Warcraft, EA, etc...): $3
  • Music Streaming Package (Pandora, Prime Music, IHeartRadio, etc..): $3
  • Social Media (twitter, facebook, snapchat): $1
  • Premium Content (pr0n): $10
  • News content** (MSNBC, Washpost, etc..): $3
  • CNN (owned by providers parent company): FREE
  • Search sites (Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc..): $1
  • All Time Warner sites, services, and content: FREE

*   Video streaming package does not include Hulu because they did not pay

** News content does not include Foxnews or (x conservative news site) because they spoke bad about CNN who is owned by the same parent company as us

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what @comcast removed from their Net Neutrality page. They no longer promise to:

-Not throttle back the speed at which content comes to you

-Not prioritize Internet traffic or create paid fast lanes

-Make internet accessible to low income families

https://t.co/tRoOTyATYk

I listen to Rush Limbaugh from time to time (mostly for the comedy, but also to know your enemy), he spoke about NN for a bit.  The part that I listened to was him saying "If a cable company wanted to give you Netflix for free, Obama's NN regulations wouldn't allow it!"  Could anyone explain that one to me?  His argument appears to me is based upon giving an expensive service for free, just because.  What am I missing?

I listen to Rush Limbaugh from time to time (mostly for the comedy, but also to know your enemy), he spoke about NN for a bit.  The part that I listened to was him saying "If a cable company wanted to give you Netflix for free, Obama's NN regulations wouldn't allow it!"  Could anyone explain that one to me?  His argument appears to me is based upon giving an expensive service for free, just because.  What am I missing?
He's lying.  With net neutrality they could give you Netflix for free, but they couldn't throttle Hulu because they had a special deal with Netflix.  Mobile providers circumvented net neutrality  by giving you Netflix, but not adding to your data caps.  So watching Hulu could cost you more money because of the data limit.

It really does baffle me why Republican voters who aren't billionaires identify and align themselves with the politicians who do things like this.  
Effective marketing.

But this one may backfire.  With ISPs already having effective regional monopolies when the restrictions/price gouging begins in earnest and they start feeling it in their pocketbooks, they may finally see the light on this issue.  They'll still vote Republican but the Republicans will change their stance on this.  I hope.

Of course I feel the same way about the tax plan. Once it starts hurting Americans, and it will, the Republicans will... effectively blame the Democrats and promise to All that is Holy that more tax cuts are the solution.

Effective marketing.

But this one may backfire.  With ISPs already having effective regional monopolies when the restrictions/price gouging begins in earnest and they start feeling it in their pocketbooks, they may finally see the light on this issue.  They'll still vote Republican but the Republicans will change their stance on this.  I hope.

Of course I feel the same way about the tax plan. Once it starts hurting Americans, and it will, the Republicans will... effectively blame the Democrats and promise to All that is Holy that more tax cuts are the solution.
Care to expand on this a little bit more?

Care to expand on this a little bit more?
Most of the nation only has one legitimate option for high speed internet.

Technically there are competitors but you get significantly lower speeds for the same prices, or more.  For example I can get up to a 300 MB connection, allegedly, from my cable company and the next competitor can offer a max of 25 MB for the same price. That holds for all speed price points.  That feels like a no-choice "choice" to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
LAUNCH said:
Here's what @comcast removed from their Net Neutrality page. They no longer promise to:

-Not throttle back the speed at which content comes to you

-Not prioritize Internet traffic or create paid fast lanes

-Make internet accessible to low income families

https://t.co/tRoOTyATYk
JFC.

:lmao:

So much manufactured hysteria. 

Do you know what their new promise says?

I'll help.

Would you explain the difference between:

"not throttle back the speed at which content comes to you" and "not prioritize internet traffic" 

AND

"we do not block, slow down, or discriminate against lawful content"

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the "lawful content" part.

So, I guess anyone who streams illegal content should be upset. Is that why you guys are so upset?
What it means is they won’t throttle your content if you have paid for a legal agreement, like they made netflix do.   They also have no way of differentiating what is legal content and what is not.  They know if someone is using bittorent, but they have no clue if you are downloading a movie or a linux distro.  They might know you are using Tor, but have no clue what you are doing on it.

Would you explain the difference between:

"not throttle back the speed at which content comes to you" and "not prioritize internet traffic" 

Sure.  When you prioritze data packets, they get through the pipes first.  Most companies on VOIP will prioritize that traffic because the sound quality of a telephone call is more important than someone surfing the net.  

If they have an agreement with Netflix and it is prioritzed over Hulu, then the likelihood of buffering on Hulu is greater, even if the data is all going ovef the same lines.

Users who are viewing this thread