What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (2 Viewers)

Week 2 -3 pounds.   Really weird this time. I didn't get any huge drops like I normally do the first 2 weeks.  Don't get me wrong still going in right direction :).   Not sure what's different.
Very similar results here.  I'm down about 13lbs total in 3 weeks, but that's how it goes sometimes.  I looked back at my weight loss log from the last time I did Keto, and it reflected the same.  So if the trend holds, I expect to lose about 5 lbs in week 4.  :shrug:

Gentlemen, THIS is how you prepare for so much WINNING!

I find the biggest road block to WINNING is ease of access.  I have often stated that willpower is at best a finite resource and at worst a myth. So I felt that, for me and the wife, the best path to success was to make compliance as easy as possible (I feel the same way about working out. For the vast majority of people long term compliance is inversely proportional to how long it takes you to get there).

The wife picked up Leanne Vogel's The Keto Diet as an impulse item from Costco a couple months back and it turns out that it's a very solid cookbook. So every evening for about six nights, while @Otis was contemplating the keto health benefits of Coors Light vs Michelob Ultra and trying to figure out how many single malts he could have and not raid the Entenmanns shelf in his pantry, I got to work identifying all the recipes that 1) could be frozen & 2) had at as close to a 50% fiber content:total carbs ratio (because #ketoconstipationisreal!!!).  Vogel's book is great in that it identifies which recipes can be frozen and has a breakdown of nutritional content for each recipe.  I then put on my toque blance and got to cooking, portioning and vacuum sealing.

What you're looking at there is only the top layer of my freezer overflowing with prepared keto-friendly goodness.  Breakfasts, Dinners, Snacks, Breadishes, Desserts all ready to go at a moments notice if (when) I don't feel like cooking.

I then looked at every recipe and verified it existed on Myfitnesspal, if not I added it (virtually all of them are up there already. Pro Tip: Search the recipe name and add the word keto at the end).  I also prepared my own spreadsheet with all the nutrition info because, I'm like that.

The plan is not necessarily to eat these exclusively but rather use these to supplement our normal meals.  I normally cook most nights but some days you don't have time to hunt down a keto-friendly lunch at the office or you're just darn tired when you get home and don't want to cook.  That's when compliance becomes difficult or you just mail it in and microwave a mess'o'bacon and call that a meal.  I figure I will have to do this process once every other month, which is completely reasonable.

I also signed up for the keto plan at Green Chef meal kit service.  It's my first foray into these services but the first three meals were remarkably good.  It's three meals/week (delivered on the same day each week) and you are not obligated to participate every week.  I have it set up for every other week right now and I'll see how it goes.

Honestly I have prepped so much for this FAILING will be much more difficult that WINNING!

What you can see in the photo is coconut lamb curry, no-nuts granola, breakfast jambalaya, one pot hamburger dinner, n'oatmeal chocolate chip cookies,  crusty sandwich bread, bendy tortillas, bacon wrapped mini meatloaves, classic butter biscuits, baked olive chicken & prosciutto wrapped tilapia fillets.  Not pictured: flaxseed cinnamon bun muffins, bacon lovers quiche, chicken crisps (baked chicken skins), baharat balls, thanksgiving balls, chili stuffed avocados (filling not the avocados), mind blowing burgers, chipotle spiced meatball subs, olive & tomato flaxseed foccacia, rosemary garlic bread, coconut mounds, almond chai truffles & jelly pie jars.

Lost 30 pounds over 5 months last year.  Completely fell off the wagon at Thanksgiving and put 10 back on through feb 1.  As of today I have taken back off the 10 lbs.

Id like to take off 17 lbs from here which will be tied for the lowest I’ve been over the last 25 years.

January 5, 2014 is the day I quit smoking for good. It's also the day I started putting on weight. Well 5 years later(1/5/2019) I started Keto and so far it's been a success. My wife also started that day and it really helps to have someone in it with you. I've lost 25.5 lbs in 8 weeks and it's really been pretty easy. I've eaten the Fat Head Pizza and enjoyed it. I tried the Keto Meatballs linked upstream and they were awesome. I think my favorite thing to eat on Keto is fried okra made with pork skins and air fried. O could eat it every day. I had to give up coffee and tea. I tried stevia in both and just can't do it. To chemically tasting for me so I just gave it up for the most part. 

Overall I feel so much better. So much easier to get through a 12 hour work day being on my feet. I have sustained energy all day. I don't really need coffee. 

Now I do cheat a little but things are working so I will keep doing what I'm doing. By cheat I mean that I do have a Sugar Free Coke,  Diet Lemonade, or a Gatorade Zero once a day. Sometimes 2. Also, I use a little bit of this in my homemade BBQ sauce and my peanut butter cookies. Last week we had our first cheat meal when we went to the BBQ Buffet. I didn't do too bad but I did gain 1 pound over night. It took 3 days to get back to where I was before that meal. 

All of my 2X shirts, which were pretty snug on me, are really getting big and baggy on me now. I have a few extra large shirts and they fit well. Same with my pants. My 40" waist pants are getting way too big now. I have already put three extra holes in my belt and in another week or so it will probably be time too add another. At some point I am going to have to start buying some clothes. I just don't want to do it too soon and have to do it again.

My wife has stopped taking all 4 of her blood pressure medicines and says that she really doesn't need her heartburn medicine and that her cholesterol medicine could be next. I started at 215.2 and weighed in at 189.7 this morning. I'm about halfway to my goal. Not sure what to do when I get there. 

Anyway, this thread has been a great resource and help to me. I'm in the process of going back through it a second time. Thanks.

January 5, 2014 is the day I quit smoking for good. It's also the day I started putting on weight. Well 5 years later(1/5/2019) I started Keto and so far it's been a success. My wife also started that day and it really helps to have someone in it with you. I've lost 25.5 lbs in 8 weeks and it's really been pretty easy. I've eaten the Fat Head Pizza and enjoyed it. I tried the Keto Meatballs linked upstream and they were awesome. I think my favorite thing to eat on Keto is fried okra made with pork skins and air fried. O could eat it every day. I had to give up coffee and tea. I tried stevia in both and just can't do it. To chemically tasting for me so I just gave it up for the most part. 

Overall I feel so much better. So much easier to get through a 12 hour work day being on my feet. I have sustained energy all day. I don't really need coffee. 

Now I do cheat a little but things are working so I will keep doing what I'm doing. By cheat I mean that I do have a Sugar Free Coke,  Diet Lemonade, or a Gatorade Zero once a day. Sometimes 2. Also, I use a little bit of this in my homemade BBQ sauce and my peanut butter cookies. Last week we had our first cheat meal when we went to the BBQ Buffet. I didn't do too bad but I did gain 1 pound over night. It took 3 days to get back to where I was before that meal. 

All of my 2X shirts, which were pretty snug on me, are really getting big and baggy on me now. I have a few extra large shirts and they fit well. Same with my pants. My 40" waist pants are getting way too big now. I have already put three extra holes in my belt and in another week or so it will probably be time too add another. At some point I am going to have to start buying some clothes. I just don't want to do it too soon and have to do it again.

My wife has stopped taking all 4 of her blood pressure medicines and says that she really doesn't need her heartburn medicine and that her cholesterol medicine could be next. I started at 215.2 and weighed in at 189.7 this morning. I'm about halfway to my goal. Not sure what to do when I get there. 

Anyway, this thread has been a great resource and help to me. I'm in the process of going back through it a second time. Thanks.
Cool story bro.

Seriously, that is a legitimately cool story. Great work.

In The Zone's story reminds me that I don't think I have brought up that I quit smoking my clove cigarettes (now small cigars) last November with the help of Chantix.

I have never been a huge smoker, maybe 3-4 packs a week (only 10-12 per pack) ...but when I wanted them, I wanted them.  I would have to plan and worry about not running out.  I couldn't get them just anywhere, for years it was only a limited amount of tobacco stores - that didn't stay open late.  And plenty of times they would be out - I would drive all over town.  

I never smoked cigarettes, but started these when I was around 23 ...so almost 38 years.  If anyone is considering trying to stop, I would heartily recommend Chantix.  I was looking forward to some crazy dreams but didn't notice any.  

Between that and eating whatever the hell I wanted since before Thanksgiving, I gained almost 30 lbs and my last blood results were HORRIBLE.  Worst A1C ever.  

Started back on keto a little under 2 weeks ago and have dropped 7lbs.  

I think i may have a keto rash.......

Done it in the past before with no issues.

Woke up yesterday and noticed redbumps - around my waist and thighs.   But no where else - by the end of the day I have it on my stomach.

Today is now worse than yesterday - i tried creams and pills nothing is working

starting to get a little worried.

Weight fluctuations according to the scale, but this week, i am down another 8lbs. The big change I made was making sure to eat more fat, and good sources of it. I'm always leery of snake oil claims about any diet products, but I'm gonna experiment with MCT oil and making fat bombs, to see if I can boost results.

Really satisfied with my progress, especially just general feelings of health and energy.

Those keto test strips are expensive. How often are you testing?
Been testing every AM when I wake up. I will taper off once I have enough data (MyFitnessPal+Smart Scale+Keto-Mojo) to lock in my carb intake relative to my ketone level. I would like to stabilize at around 3 ug/mmol (or whatever it is) but I have overshot and was at 4.4 this AM. I figure I will need at least 30 days and maybe 60 max.

Been testing every AM when I wake up. I will taper off once I have enough data (MyFitnessPal+Smart Scale+Keto-Mojo) to lock in my carb intake relative to my ketone level. I would like to stabilize at around 3 ug/mmol (or whatever it is) but I have overshot and was at 4.4 this AM. I figure I will need at least 30 days and maybe 60 max.
Question for everyone, but since you seem to be on the scientific tip, figured I'd ask you: any thoughts on taking exogenous ketone supplements? Seen them advertised, but never really considered shelling out cash when diet works so well.

Question for everyone, but since you seem to be on the scientific tip, figured I'd ask you: any thoughts on taking exogenous ketone supplements? Seen them advertised, but never really considered shelling out cash when diet works so well.
I don't have an answer for you on that one.  I think @culdeus is probably the guy for that question.

Personally I don't think they offer much value if you are following a good keto diet.  Personally at 4.4mmol/L I am in full blown ketosis so my body should be producing a ton of ketones at this point so why would I need to add them to my diet?  If they did enter my blood stream wouldn't they just compete with my already circulating ketones?  And that is presuming they are even effective to begin with and not just a waste of money.

I think i may have a keto rash.......

Done it in the past before with no issues.

Woke up yesterday and noticed redbumps - around my waist and thighs.   But no where else - by the end of the day I have it on my stomach.

Today is now worse than yesterday - i tried creams and pills nothing is working

starting to get a little worried.
How's that working out for you.

Guess I will use this thread as a journal because, why not?

I posted above I did a ton of preparation for this transition, researching and preparing meals that are truly nutritionally balanced and include lots of fiber and a broad spectrum of vegetables (no bacon wrapped, cheese stuffed chicken breasts here).

I have been tracking my intakes dutifully.  I average 1661 cal/day total, which is probably too low for my size/age/activity level. My macros are on point at 64% fat, 26% pro, 10% carbs (68% fat, 27% pro, 5% carbs if you only count net carbs).  My protein intake is 107 grams/day which is only 4 grams below 0.7 grams per lb of lean body weight for someone as active as I am (4x/week doing TRX suspension training).

Over the last 8 days my ketones have been 1.3, 1.7, 1.9, 1.9, 2.0, 3.3, 4.4 and my blood glucose is steady at ~85 mg/dl.

I've lost 1.7 lbs and 1.4% body fat (which should be taken with a grain of salt on a home smart scale).

I guess that's good but I am planning date night tomorrow which involves visiting our wine club (haven't had a drop in 10 days, which is long for me), going for appetizers at one of our favorite places, movie at Cinepolis (i.e. more wine and zebra popcorn) followed by a late dinner at an Italian restaurant.  My guess is that will bleed over into brunch on Sunday (Bloody Mary's for sure, but I think I can do keto for the rest of that meal, this place has a duck taco in a 100% cheese blend shell, so good  :homer: ...but the shrimp and grits are even better)  

I will probably have to avoid the scale and do a 24 hour fast on Monday then see where I'm really at on Tuesday/Wednesday after the booze and salt have cleared.

How's that working out for you.
After the 4th day went to doctor.   I was neck to feet covered -- We traced it back to some new detergent :)

Took some liquid steroids, after about 1.5 days all gone  :whew:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, I am already pissing out excess ketones. Thepirple strip tells me so. Not sure what thebenefit would be.

Chaka said:
I don't have an answer for you on that one.  I think @culdeus is probably the guy for that question.

Personally I don't think they offer much value if you are following a good keto diet.  Personally at 4.4mmol/L I am in full blown ketosis so my body should be producing a ton of ketones at this point so why would I need to add them to my diet?  If they did enter my blood stream wouldn't they just compete with my already circulating ketones?  And that is presuming they are even effective to begin with and not just a waste of money.

culdeus said:

pack100 said:
Nope, I am already pissing out excess ketones. Thepirple strip tells me so. Not sure what thebenefit would be.
Cool, thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking.

You’re on the Guyenet side of the debate, right?
Yes. When Taubes's first book (Good Calories, Bad Calories) came out, I read it and was persuaded by it. You can probably find old posts by me on this board recommending the book. I'm not an expert in the field, but his arguments seemed very impressive to this layperson.

After that, a number of experts criticized the book pretty severely for (1) choosing outdated sources, (2) cherry-picking sources, and (3) often misrepresenting what those sources actually said.

Upon further review, I've come to find those criticisms persuasive.

I'm still not an expert, but Guyenet certainly is. The overall debate seems to be similar to climate change, to pick one example, where some physicist type is at odds with all the climate scientists -- or in this case, a journalist who formerly covered physics is at odds with all the obesity researchers. The consensus view among experts in a given field isn't always right. But it usually is.

Guyenet seems to be an excellent representative of the current consensus among obesity researchers, while Taubes is the contrarian outsider. In this case, the contrarian outsider's case doesn't seem nearly as compelling, IMO, when held up to scrutiny as it did on first glance (before digging into his cited sources, etc.).

To be clear: I still think the first 100 pages of Good Calories, Bad Calories is excellent. Taubes does a masterful job of criticizing the "fat is bad" theory that became popular in the 1970s or so. It's just that his "carbs are bad" theory, which he argues for after the first 100 pages, seems roughly as ill-conceived as the "fat is bad" theory.

I hope the debate is productive. Both guys are very smart and knowledgeable.

@Maurile Tremblay - can you sum up Guyunet’s position?  Is it basically that it’s not high carb but the combo of high fat AND high carb that is “bad”?

I’ve watched a couple of quick YouTube videos and that seems to be what I’m getting out of it but don’t want to misrepresent his opinion.

I’m mostly curious if he just thinks the blame on carbs is a little misguided or if he thinks there’s something inherently bad with low carb.  

I definitely disagree with him if his take is sugar is not addictive.  

And to be clear, I don’t mean natural sugars.  I still avoid most fruit but for healthy weight people with no bg or insulin issues I think they are perfectly fine.

Very interested in this debate 

From the article that Maurile linked:

To Stephan, obesity is caused by the omnipresence of calorie-rich, delicious foods high in both carbohydrates and fat. The brain, rather than the body, regulates body fat, and differences in body fatness between people in Western countries is largely due to differences in brains (with most obesity genetics discovered to this point being brain-related). Stephan’s understanding of obesity is the synthesis of the scientific community’s current understanding. This is in contrast to Gary Taubes’s understanding, which is often at odds with the scientific community’s. Stephan, along with a handful of other bloggers, has long battled with virtually every aspect of Gary Taubes’s and his followers’ ideas about obesity. Stephan and others contend that Taubes and his followers cherrypick their evidence and distort what the field has to offer.

From the article that Maurile linked:
Yeah, I read that part but I need to read more - the first thing I’m curious about is his take of alcohol, soda, juices and the vast amount of low-fat snacks packed with sugar.  

I do think Keto people (like myself) overdemonize “good” carbs - I agree with a lot of what I just watched in a video of his but then again he was agreeing with a lot of low-carb principles.  

I do want to see his argument against insulin theory - any links to that?

Yeah, I read that part but I need to read more - the first thing I’m curious about is his take of alcohol, soda, juices and the vast amount of low-fat snacks packed with sugar.  
I think "calorie-rich delicious foods" mainly covers those.  (Assuming, for juice, you mean fruit juices like orange and apple.  Obviously not a vegetable juice like beet juice.  :D  )

I assumed Keto was not that helathy long term.

I just know its good way for me to lose weight.

carry on

eta: And I'm not reading any of that stuff

Started the first of December at 6'1", 236 lbs with the intent on losing some weight prior to my annual blood test that I had schedule for the week of my 49th birthday.

Yesterday, my 49th birthday, I weighed in at 216. 

20 lbs since I started. Have gone down a couple of pants sizes 40 --> 36 and am looking at a target of around 200. Need to buy some pants/slacks/shorts and another belt because I'm down to one or two that actually fit without them looking stupidly baggy on me. 

It's pretty much been lazy keto to this point however having my wife also partake in this diet, it's been a little easier.

Yesterday was the first time I fully, outright, blatantly cheated. Had a 1/2 piece of Dutch Apple pie and a scoop of Halo-Top Vanilla ice cream as a bit of a birthday celebration. It was heavenly but no more until I get to 200. 

Looking forward to seeing the affect of Keto when I get my results back this week, specifically A1C and Triglyceride levels. 

belljr said:
I assumed Keto was not that helathy long term.

I just know its good way for me to lose weight.

carry on

eta: And I'm not reading any of that stuff
So far, assuming I’m following what I’m reading, I do think Guyenet would say it is a good way to lose weight but insulin theory isn’t the only way a person can become fat.  As for it being healthy long term - I think he would say that is unknown and not enough science has been done to know.  

Maurile - is it possible that while CIM isnt the primary explanation for body fatness for all, it is for some people, maybe lots of people?  

Maurile - is it possible that while CIM isnt the primary explanation for body fatness for all, it is for some people, maybe lots of people?  
Excessive carbohydrate intake could easily be the primary explanation for many people -- but that's different from saying that the Carbohydrate-Insulin Model is the primary explanation. The latter seems much less likely.

Excessive carbohydrate intake could easily be the primary explanation for many people -- but that's different from saying that the Carbohydrate-Insulin Model is the primary explanation. The latter seems much less likely.
Thanks - I’ll be tuning in tomorrow or whenever it’s available but I’m still convinced a lot of people have this problem - the prevalence of diabetes and prediabetes makes me a believer in it being a one size fits most in the type-2 diabetes world.  

This debate reminds me of the vegan vs. Keto debate.  Seems like there’s too many good things that both agree with to dismiss the other.

I should clarify - seems like the Keto side is the one being inflexible in this.  Most of what I’ve seen from Guyenet is he’s open to Keto being beneficial.  Just not one size fits all - I think that’s fair even if people misconstrue that and make bad choices.  

Thanks - I’ll be tuning in tomorrow or whenever it’s available but I’m still convinced a lot of people have this problem - the prevalence of diabetes and prediabetes makes me a believer in it being a one size fits most in the type-2 diabetes world.
What if type 2 diabetes were induced more reliably by excessive fat intake than by excessive carb intake?

Users who are viewing this thread