What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (2 Viewers)

Jumping back in.  Been off for a long time, and surprise surprise the weight creeped back on.

My wife and I are trying to lose weight together.  She's buying in, which is the only reason I can jump back in.  When we are on different diets, it never works.  She did Keto a while back and was successful.  She loses a bunch of weight, then gets tired of the diet, switches back to trying to just eat moderate carbs and it never works.  Here we go again.

Jumping back in.  Been off for a long time, and surprise surprise the weight creeped back on.

My wife and I are trying to lose weight together.  She's buying in, which is the only reason I can jump back in.  When we are on different diets, it never works.  She did Keto a while back and was successful.  She loses a bunch of weight, then gets tired of the diet, switches back to trying to just eat moderate carbs and it never works.  Here we go again.
I think you and I discussed in Otis' thread but the thing I've found that has helped me in maintenance mode is IF/full day fasts.  So, I've cleaned up my diet even more by reducing fried foods and reduced protein some and trying to introduce more healthy carbs.  I think the combination of those two things have really helped.  In particular, I don't have or scheduled cheat days any more but if I do have a day where I completely cheat then I will typically try and fast for a day or two after and mix in a lot of IF that following week.  I think it's working and curious what if any impact it will have on my bio-markers.  Right now my weight have plateaued but instead of going full-on Keto I'm mixing in more exercise to see if that works.

I think you and I discussed in Otis' thread but the thing I've found that has helped me in maintenance mode is IF/full day fasts.  So, I've cleaned up my diet even more by reducing fried foods and reduced protein some and trying to introduce more healthy carbs.  I think the combination of those two things have really helped.  In particular, I don't have or scheduled cheat days any more but if I do have a day where I completely cheat then I will typically try and fast for a day or two after and mix in a lot of IF that following week.  I think it's working and curious what if any impact it will have on my bio-markers.  Right now my weight have plateaued but instead of going full-on Keto I'm mixing in more exercise to see if that works.
It's been a while, but I was going IF during the week, and no fasting on the weekend.  I know people have touted the success of a full day fast periodically, but I just don't think I could do that.  Even when I was in a good groove, I never got past the point of feeling hungry most of the time.  I don't think I could ever do that.

I'm catching up on this thread.  I'm kicking myself reading my own posts and seeing the cycle repeat itself over and over again.  I really need to figure out a long term solution for when I get closer to my goal weight.  Scheduled cheat meals just didn't do the trick, because one cheat meal over the weekend didn't hurt me, and that was a slippery slope to cheating a whole day on the weekend, to the whole weekend, to through the week.  The only posibility is when both boys are off to college, not having any carbs in the house to be tempting, but that's two years away.

Does anyone have a review on the science behind IF?

Haven't made a cheesescake since my Blue Ribbon winner at the SC State Fair last October. Well I finally got some Swerve and made a keto version and it turned out amazing. 6.4 net carbs per slice. The crust is made with Almond flour, coconut flour, pecans, butter, salt, and cinnamon. Pretty tasty.

Keto Cheesecake
Do you have a recipe for this?  I'm a drections follower.

Also, day 2, suffering from carb flu, when I haven't in the past.  Really lacking motivation and no attention span.  Cannot go five minutes without yawning something fierce.

Also, day 2, suffering from carb flu, when I haven't in the past.  Really lacking motivation and no attention span.  Cannot go five minutes without yawning something fierce.
Try upping your salt intake drink some bone broth or other and salt it - and make sure you are hydrated well.

Do you have a recipe for this?  I'm a drections follower.
OK, here it is. Next time I make this I'm gonna change it up a little. I'll note that in the recipe.

Crust:

1 cup Almond Flour

1/3 Cup Coconut Flour

1/3 Cup Ground Pecans

5 tbsp. Butter ( Melted)

2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

1 tbsp. Swerve

Cheesecake Batter:

Softened Cream Cheese 3- 8ounce packages

Swerve 1 cup (Thinking about going with 3/4 cup next time)

Eggs large 5 

Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons

Sour Cream ½ cup 

For the crust mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix until it resembles wet sand. in an 8"pan, I use a springform pan, line the bottom with parchment paper and/ or grease the pan with butter or use PAM. Evenly spread the crust mixture in the pan. I pre-baked my crust for 10 minutes @ 300 degrees. If you do this make sure the crust is completely cool before you add the cheesecake. 

For the Batter:

In a stand mixer preferably but you could use a hand mixer, follow below.

Cream the softened cream cheese on low speed and add the sugar.

Add the eggs and vanilla extract slowly and scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed to avoid any lumps.

Add the sour cream and mix smooth.

Pour batter onto cooled crust and bake cheesecake in a water bath at 350°  for the first 30 minutes then turn the heat down to 325°for another 30- 40 minutes

Turn off oven and let cheesecake stay in for an additional 15 minutes.

Cool completely and chill overnight before removing from pan.

One more addition to the batter I am going to do next time is add some lemon zest. Probably just use 1 lemon. 

I cut this into 12 slices and got these macros:

Nutrition Facts

Servings 12.0

Amount Per Serving

calories 427

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 40g

Saturated Fat 20g

Monounsaturated Fat 3g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 164 mg

Sodium 237 mg

Potassium 60 mg

Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g

Dietary Fiber 3.2 g

Sugars 3 g

Protein 8 g

Vitamin A

Vitamin C

Calcium6 %

Iron6 %

Let me know if you try it. Enjoy.

Here’s a couple I’ve found:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6128599/#!po=1.16279

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4516560/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5371748/

I just googled so there may be better ones out there - I haven’t even read them.  Also look up Jason Fung - that’s where I’ve gotten most of my info.
Thanks. Looks pretty inconclusive, with mostly small, short-term studies and heterogeneous methodology. Not sure how one can rationally pick a fasting regimen based on that data.

It would be great if there were meaningful long term comparisons for the major diets +/- fasting. Unfortunately, it seems like many diet "experts" are more interested in selling books than performing actual research.

Looking long term down the road, and reading back through this thread, one question popped into my head.  Have any posters here been successful with Keto getting all the way down to a low BF percentage?  I know the couple of times previous I stuck with it long term, I got down to an "almost at my goal weight" stage, plateaued, and could not break the plateau before i went off the diet, and slowly added the weight back on.  I would be curious to see some examples (here or otherwise) of people being successful at not just getting close to their goal but, but getting all the way to where they want to be.  

My goal, knowing at my age I'll never have a six pack, is to at least see the outline of the top of my abs.  I'm not sure what BF % that correlates to, but I haven't been there as an adult since I did extreme calorie restriction.  I am curious if keto would get me there again.

Day 1 - 195
1 Week Check in - 189.5
Weekly Loss - 5.5
Loss to date - 5.5

1st week of Keto, always big.  So far so good.  Would have been more, but we had a "keto" pizza on Saturday that I suspect wasn't actually keto, based on how my body felt the next morning.

I know that I owe you some info.  

of course, that's a good hodgkins.  ok, maybe not good.  but better.

unaware of effects on groat's disease, though I've heard **** Groat ate a side of beef a day.

But more seriously, here are the types of things that make me eschew animal protein in favor of plant protein.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2018/02/08/the-effect-of-animal-protein-on-the-kidneys/

https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/04/11/what-animal-protein-does-in-your-colon/

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/animal-protein-compared-cigarette-smoking/
@Long Ball Larry  I’m going to reply in here because I don’t want to hijack the other thread.

The link on NHL - that one is a food questionnaire and only women and they don’t isolate confounders.  Am I missing the study link - maybe there’s more detail?

I will read these nutritionfacts.org articles but I’ll be honest that I’ve read some of Greger’s stuff before and I think he is biased and cherry picks to match his beliefs.  

I could probably be accused of the same tbh but I try to be open minded.

And I should say that while I still like Keto and do it in spurts I do think I’ve come around to not eating that way all the time and/or in maintenance.  I’m mixing in more nuts and beans. 

And I should say that while I still like Keto and do it in spurts I do think I’ve come around to not eating that way all the time and/or in maintenance.  I’m mixing in more nuts and beans. 
I think it's well established VLC diets are effective for relatively rapid short-term weight loss. But I don't understand why one would choose such a diet over something that is more sustainable - especially if the "spurts" result in weight yo-yoing.  

And while we all have biases, I've seen far too many people fall in love with the quick results VLC/ketogenic diets offer, while ignoring all the long term problems which can result from consuming excess animal products. 

I think it's well established VLC diets are effective for relatively rapid short-term weight loss. But I don't understand why one would choose such a diet over something that is more sustainable - especially if the "spurts" result in weight yo-yoing.  

And while we all have biases, I've seen far too many people fall in love with the quick results VLC/ketogenic diets offer, while ignoring all the long term problems which can result from consuming excess animal products. 
Keto doesn’t have to mean consuming excess animal products - if that’s what you really think then maybe you need to read more.  There’s Keto vegans.  In practice though it’s probably true that most people who go low carb do eat too much protein and for many it’s in the form of animal protein.

I maintain that the risk factor of animal protein is minuscule compared with the risk factors of a diet high in sugar, refined grains and highly processed foods.  I’m for optimal but sustainable.  If vegan is sustainable for someone then more power to them - it’s not for me. 

ETA - want to clarify that by risk factor, I'm talking about just eating meat in general - not talking about eating processed meats nor eating meat in excess.

Last edited by a moderator:
But again, I feel like we do our "community" a disservice by arguing the proverbial mole hill instead of the mountain.  Folks that need to make changes look at these kind of arguments and say "See, there's no right choice here.  These zealots can't agree and there's studies that show both sides are right.  I'm just going to eat whatever I want".  Those are the people who are cutting years off their lives being obese, drinking alcohol in excess, drinking soda, eating high carb/fat foods and lots of processed meats, cheeses and other highly processed foods.  The problem isn't somebody have the occasional steak

Day 1 - 195
1 Week Check in - 189.5
Weekly Loss - 5.5
Loss to date - 5.5

1st week of Keto, always big.  So far so good.  Would have been more, but we had a "keto" pizza on Saturday that I suspect wasn't actually keto, based on how my body felt the next morning.
Day 1 - 195
1 Week Check In - 189.5
2 Week Check In - 186
Weekly Loss - 3.5
Loss to Date - 9

In response to the last few posts, it's not just the rapid weight loss I fall in love with on this diet (and by diet, I mean the general term of what I am eating).  The way my body feels when I eat like this is just as reaffirming.

In response to the last few posts, it's not just the rapid weight loss I fall in love with on this diet (and by diet, I mean the general term of what I am eating).  The way my body feels when I eat like this is just as reaffirming.
Agree - but I do wonder if we would get some similar benefits if we could manage to go vegan - I think we would on some areas.  I just couldn’t sustain it.

Keto doesn’t have to mean consuming excess animal products - if that’s what you really think then maybe you need to read more.  There’s Keto vegans.  In practice though it’s probably true that most people who go low carb do eat too much protein and for many it’s in the form of animal protein.

I maintain that the risk factor of animal protein is minuscule compared with the risk factors of a diet high in sugar, refined grains and highly processed foods.  I’m for optimal but sustainable.  If vegan is sustainable for someone then more power to them - it’s not for me. 

ETA - want to clarify that by risk factor, I'm talking about just eating meat in general - not talking about eating processed meats nor eating meat in excess.
I realize VLC doesn’t necessarily require a lot animal products, but I’d be surprised if vegetarian/vegan ketophiles were anything but a tiny minority.

I don’t think the risk of consuming excess animal protein is minuscule, and I wouldn’t compare it to the worst non-animal alternatives. I’m not advocating veganism either; rather primarily a plant-based diet, including fruits, legumes and whole grains that are demonized in the keto world. And fish appears to be the most healthful animal product.

After the keto fog, when the constipation is in check, I assume?

It’s wonderful that you feel great with your chosen diet, but what alternative are you comparing it to? 

Last edited by a moderator:
After the keto fog, when the constipation is in check, I assume?

It’s wonderful that you feel great with your chosen diet, but what alternative are you comparing it to? 
Everything?

Any diet I've been on that has any amount of carbs results in poor digestive system results.

I firmly believe that humans, Americans in particular, eat far too much red meat, chicken and pork and not enough fish (un-fried fish don't count) and plants.  But, and I think you'll agree with me as you seem to either be in a hard science field, or at the very least do a lot of research on this topic, we simply cannot rely on virtually any study related to nutrition data.  Self reporting data, as a whole not just related to nutrition science, are notoriously inaccurate across the board.  Controlling for confounding factors is a laughable process, that I witnessed first hand for years studying complex genetic diseases for 10 years,  that amounts to little more than throwing darts blindfolded (no matter how much we try to convince ourselves otherwise).  All of this renders longitudinal studies highly suspect at best.

In vitro analyses or animal models are equally limited in their applicability, broadly or otherwise, to humans.

My only point is that there is no foundation for any strong conclusions or holding firm positions based on any existing science.  That leaves us with parsing mountains of conflicting information and ultimately, as happens with self-reporting, settling on the "data" that confirms our own inherent biases.

I no longer tell people "Eat this, not that" and the only recommendation I can make is:

"Moderation in everything, including moderation."

I firmly believe that humans, Americans in particular, eat far too much red meat, chicken and pork and not enough fish (un-fried fish don't count) and plants.  But, and I think you'll agree with me as you seem to either be in a hard science field, or at the very least do a lot of research on this topic, we simply cannot rely on virtually any study related to nutrition data.  Self reporting data, as a whole not just related to nutrition science, are notoriously inaccurate across the board.  Controlling for confounding factors is a laughable process, that I witnessed first hand for years studying complex genetic diseases for 10 years,  that amounts to little more than throwing darts blindfolded (no matter how much we try to convince ourselves otherwise).  All of this renders longitudinal studies highly suspect at best.

In vitro analyses or animal models are equally limited in their applicability, broadly or otherwise, to humans.

My only point is that there is no foundation for any strong conclusions or holding firm positions based on any existing science.  That leaves us with parsing mountains of conflicting information and ultimately, as happens with self-reporting, settling on the "data" that confirms our own inherent biases.

I no longer tell people "Eat this, not that" and the only recommendation I can make is:

"Moderation in everything, including moderation."
Agree on the limitations of nutrition research, but it's the best we got. While the data on VLC diets is still evolving, no one is arguing plant based diets aren't healthy. Moreover, I believe they're more sustainable long term - long lived populations prove this to be the case.

One of many problems I have with VLC/ketogenic diets is the lack of moderation - they nearly exclude an entire macronutrient class, after all. That's even more extreme than veganism. Regardless, Americans haven't shown a penchant for moderating unhealthy behaviors. 

Agree on the limitations of nutrition research, but it's the best we got. While the data on VLC diets is still evolving, no one is arguing plant based diets aren't healthy. Moreover, I believe they're more sustainable long term - long lived populations prove this to be the case.

One of many problems I have with VLC/ketogenic diets is the lack of moderation - they nearly exclude an entire macronutrient class, after all. That's even more extreme than veganism. Regardless, Americans haven't shown a penchant for moderating unhealthy behaviors. 
I agree completely although I think your definition of plant-based and mine are different.  I believe there is absolutely a place for red meat, chicken and pork in an optimal diet. Humans have simply blown the doors off of any sort of moderation/proportion in that regard.  And I would never discourage people from eating good fish even every day, although doing that properly also requires effort.

Keto diets are incredibly difficult to sustain, and incredibly effective for losing weight quickly, but they don't have to exclude plants by any means.  For example it would take a little over 3 pounds of spinach to hit the typical keto ceiling of 50 g of carbs/day.  There are a ton of lower carb, higher fiber veggies that allow for sustaining keto (cauliflower, jicama, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage etc.).  But that goes to the issue of long term sustainability, you have to put a ton more effort into meal prep and most people simply aren't willing to do that so they eat bacon and cheese between two chicken breast "sandwiches" and call it a meal.  That type of eating I certainly would not endorse (except maybe on a late Saturday night grind or Sunday morning hangover cure).

For my last round of keto I spent about 2 weeks prior to starting keto finding recipes, meal planning, preparing, vacuum sealing and freezing 30 days worth of meals and snacks (having readily available keto snacks is absolutely necessary for when a craving hits). Each recipe was chosen to maximize fiber and vegetable consumption and keeping saturated fat consumption as low as possible while maintaining ketogenesis.  Sure it went well but it was a ton of work and I never considered spending another couple weeks preparing/sealing/freezing more meals to keep it going longer.  It was a #### ton of work.

I don’t think the risk of consuming excess animal protein is minuscule, and I wouldn’t compare it to the worst non-animal alternatives. I’m not advocating veganism either; rather primarily a plant-based diet, including fruits, legumes and whole grains that are demonized in the keto world. And fish appears to be the most healthful animal product.
I didn’t say risk with excess - that’s part of the problem - there’s a difference in having steak once a week vs. every night.  Also, if you are following Keto then by definition you aren’t eating excessive protein.  I’ve yet to see a study that accounts for confounders that shows that normal Keto-level animal protein shows a major risk.  

So your body is carbohydrate intolerant? What type of digestive system results?
I won’t speak for BD but for me I have no issues with plant carbs but have lots of issues with refined carbs, both from how it makes me feel to being addicted.  I think most of us in here don’t say, don’t each vegetables.  As for fruit, I limit fruit now to berries.  Our Frankenfruit is much sweeter than in the past - not saying they are bad for you but people eating 2-3 bananas aren’t doing themselves much good.

Day 1 - 195
1 Week Check In - 189.5
2 Week Check In - 186
Weekly Loss - 3.5
Loss to Date - 9

Day 1 - 195
Week 1 - 189.5
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Weekly Loss - 2.5 (gain)
Loss to Date - 6.5

Had a week out of town with great food, and eating out breakfast lunch and dinner.  Keto made it the whole 1 day + breakfast day 2 before I fell off the wagon.  Not totally loving the gain, but figure it is a small blip on the long term trend I hope to keep up.

Day 1 - 195
Week 1 - 189.5
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Weekly Loss - 2.5 (gain)
Loss to Date - 6.5

Had a week out of town with great food, and eating out breakfast lunch and dinner.  Keto made it the whole 1 day + breakfast day 2 before I fell off the wagon.  Not totally loving the gain, but figure it is a small blip on the long term trend I hope to keep up.
Day 1 - 195
Week 1 - 189.5
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Weekly Loss - 2
Loss to Date - 8.5

Had too many cheat meals last week (2), which stalled what should/could have been more significant progress.  Went to Sam's over the weekend to restock up on good snacks, which helps keep me on track.  Four week trend is still negative which is the goal.

Day 1 - 195
Week 1 - 189.5
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Weekly Loss - 4
Loss to Date - 12.5
Last Four Week Trend - 7

Did not expect this kind of loss five week in, but I had a unique weekend.  I busted my but over the weekend doing a lot of physical work.  I was in a constant state of hunger, but figured with all of the work, I was needing some extra carbs.  I didn't go overboard, like eating chips and junk, but I definitely was over 50 carbs both days.  I figure I'll plateau this week a bit.

Day 1 - 195
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Weekly Loss - 1.5
Loss to Date - 14
Last Four Week Trend - 5

Big loss last week, so not surprise, but definitely happy with this past weeks results.

Any of my Keto brothers in the Twin Cities?  There is a little local ice cream shop that makes Keto friendly ice cream called Luvs.  They have dairy and vegan variety (definitely try the dairy varieties unless you are actually vegan).  They sell in their little shop in my home town, and they are also in a few grocery stores, not sure how far their reach is.  The first time I tried them, the store only had the vegan varieties, which I tried and they were ok.  Finally went to the shop to try the dairy options, and holy cow they were awesome.  Only 4 carbs per half cup.  Good stuff.

Did pretty well on keto last year, got side tracked, and am back again. Dropped 60-65 pounds last time, gained 30 back, and lost half of that already. This time around, I am not as steadfast to count every carb and do things 100% according to the plan. But I am struggling with upset stomach / digestive issues. The first time, that hit me at the beginning but mostly went away. This time it's not going away.

I have the symptoms of having IBS, and there are lists of things to avoid eating . . . which include a lot of what I eat: milk products, cheese, coffee, sparkling water, sugar substitutes, nuts, seeds, fatty foods, broccoli and other veggies, fruits, chocolate (I eat dark chocolate for a snack / desert), and spicy foods (my wife loves Mexican). So sure, I am losing weight again, but this time I feel "ungood" almost all the time.

Anyone else experience this and did it go away or did you have to start eating different foods to overcome it?

Day 1 - 195
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Weekly Loss - 1.5
Loss to Date - 14
Last Four Week Trend - 5

Big loss last week, so not surprise, but definitely happy with this past weeks results.

Any of my Keto brothers in the Twin Cities?  There is a little local ice cream shop that makes Keto friendly ice cream called Luvs.  They have dairy and vegan variety (definitely try the dairy varieties unless you are actually vegan).  They sell in their little shop in my home town, and they are also in a few grocery stores, not sure how far their reach is.  The first time I tried them, the store only had the vegan varieties, which I tried and they were ok.  Finally went to the shop to try the dairy options, and holy cow they were awesome.  Only 4 carbs per half cup.  Good stuff.
Day 1 - 195
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Weekly Loss - 1.5
Loss to Date - 15.5
Last Four Week Trend - 9

Wife and I are making a list of Keto friendly restaurants.  With the kids getting older, we are going out just the two of us more often.  We have a small list to cycle through, and hopefully find some more.  It's good to go to a place where you know you can eat off a specific section without worrying about modifying the preparation, or not eating something that comes on your plate.

does anyone have a good link/app/book for keto, I'm planning on going all in with this but it's a bit overwhelming.

I am not on a keto diet per se but close. One thing that has been awesome in helping keep to it has been Trader Joe's Jalapeno Sauce. Keto friendly and kicks rear end. 

Day 1 - 195
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Weekly Loss - 1.5
Loss to Date - 15.5
Last Four Week Trend - 9

Wife and I are making a list of Keto friendly restaurants.  With the kids getting older, we are going out just the two of us more often.  We have a small list to cycle through, and hopefully find some more.  It's good to go to a place where you know you can eat off a specific section without worrying about modifying the preparation, or not eating something that comes on your plate.
Day 1 - 195
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Week 8 - 181
Weekly Loss - 1.5 gain
Loss to Date - 14
Last Four Week Trend - 5.5

Youngest' birthday was Monday, which resulted in two birthday dinners out, which resulted into caving into temptation for desserts twice.  Also had a BBQ with the neighbors on Friday.  First time we got together with them all summer, so I ate all the carbs.  Fully knocked out of ketosis I'm sure.  Need to be strict this week again.

Day 1 - 195
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Week 8 - 181
Weekly Loss - 1.5 gain
Loss to Date - 14
Last Four Week Trend - 5.5

Youngest' birthday was Monday, which resulted in two birthday dinners out, which resulted into caving into temptation for desserts twice.  Also had a BBQ with the neighbors on Friday.  First time we got together with them all summer, so I ate all the carbs.  Fully knocked out of ketosis I'm sure.  Need to be strict this week again.
I’m going to tighten up on the diet the next couple weeks. Vacations and stress have gotten the better of me lately.  You had a very nice drop - I’m betting you can get through that next plateau and into the 170s consistently. 

Day 1 - 195
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Week 8 - 181
Week 9 - 178.5
Weekly Loss - 2.5
Loss to Date - 16.5
Last Four Week Trend - 4 lb loss
Nice to lose the small bump I encountered last week, plus some.  Didn't have a great weekend, but did have some of my favorite foods.  Keto ice cream parlor in my neighborhood on Saturday to pick up a couple of pints.  While we were there, we had their keto Strawberry shortcake (pretty good) and a keto chocolate chip scone (great).  Split both with my wife.  Then on Sunday, we went to the farmer's market (our summer Sunday tradition).  One of the vendors is a keto baker, and we tried the keto doughnuts (pretty good) and keto chocolate fudge w/avocado brownies (pretty good).  Then Sunday night dinner was my favorite wings place.  Would be surprised to see a little bump the first part of the week, but I always do better during the week.

Haven't done anything for exercise in a couple of months other than occasional walks with the dog.  I have an abdominal hernia that needs surgery.  I'm hoping to get down closer to 170 (have a few projects I can't take time off for a while right now), have surgery, then add in some limited weight lifting, which will require upping carbs a bit.

Going keto for the first time. Been intermittent fasting for a while and would rate myself 8 out of 10 on nutritional knowledge. But I'm all-in on ketogenesis right now for the first time ever. I'll be fasting during the day with pickle juice, powerade zero, and snake juice electrolyte powder to keep me going/hydrated throughout the daily fast. I'll also do an ECA stack during the day with daily workouts. Zero alcohol will be involved, and sex will be a couple times a week (ideally I'd go no sex to keep my "drive" at 100%, but my girlfriend would probably kill me). Also am trying the snake juice thing for the first time after finding it on Amazon as it simply appears to be electrolytes, salt and potassium - but I'm not trying to endorse it. Powerade zero isn't bad, but not trying to endorse it. I will definitely endorse pickle juice though. Can't think of anything else. OK cheers wish me luck.

Welp. My turn. I have been carrying 214-216 for a couple months. It was a slow increase that started after the holidays. I need to be sub 200. I love 190. I'm going to fast my way into ketosis. My last meal was 16 hours ago, a steak and mushroom omelette, toast with butter and jelly, almost 32 oz of fresh squeezed OJ.. I spoiled myself. I ran five miles, swam until I was exhausted and I will wake up in 8 hours and do it again. No food tomorrow. Maybe no food the next day. I want to get in ketosis asap. THEN try a very green, very low calorie, low carb, diet. Not sure how that works, but I am ready to starve myself to 195 if necessary. Been there done that, soooo.

Day 1 - 195
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Week 8 - 181
Week 9 - 178.5
Week 10 - 180
Weekly Loss - 1.5 Gain
Loss to Date - 15
Last Four Week Trend - 1 lb loss

My goal has been a four week trend measurement.  1 pound lost for the month, so just barely.  I did have a couple of cheat this past week, and I also started lifting three days a week.  I'm sure that resulted in a little bit of water weight gain.  I'm using the scale as a long term measuring stick, not an instant gratification tool, so I'm ok with this plateau.  I'm more concerned with the mirror.  Will try to clean stuff up this week and see if I drop some more next week.  The reality is though I'm enjoying eating this way still and it would be inconceivable to creep back up to 200 while sticking to the plan.

Users who are viewing this thread