What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home Repair Help - Drain Tile Under Slab (1 Viewer)

The Z Machine

Footballguy
I'll try to keep this concise with the details...

I had a leak in my main supply line from the water meter to my house.  This is a rowhome where the walls are concrete block and houses are built wall to wall.  The water line runs about 40' from the alley behind my house under the slab of the garage floor an into a small workshop in the basement where the main hose shutoff is located.  I "discovered" the leak when I saw a river of water flowing out of the water meter at probably a gallon/minute.  After a week of back and forth with the city, it was determined that the leak was on my side of the meter and thus my responsibility.  I got a number of quotes for repairing it (including like $8k for pulling a whole new line) and settled on me doing the concrete sawing and excavation to expose the water line and a licensed plumber pulling a permit and replacing only a section of the main supply line.

I excavated two holes: one right at the meter, and the other maybe 10' into my garage (about 15' from the meter).  The plumber pulled the old copper line (only 10 years old...  :hot: ) and found a galvanized union between a short copper pigtail at the meter and the long run to the main shutoff.  Needless to say this union had multiple large holes in it due to galvanic corrosion, which I thought was causing the leak.  The plumber pulled a new line (about 15') from the hole in the garage to the hole near the meter and used "Ford Couplings" to join the new copper to the older copper, which is 100% to code (unlike sweated copper elbows and galvanized unions).

Anyway, things were looking good until I noticed that the excavated holes were filling up with water.  It's not coming from the repaired section and the amount of water is like 100x less than before, but it still gives me pause.  You can see it here in this image: http://imgur.com/a/BbZz4

Water is weeping from the wood (pilings?) under the slab and filling the hole. Now this wood is under the drain tile which (I think) runs the perimeter of the foundation, so if water does come up through the ground, it should run into this drain tile and into the sump pump pit to be pumped out.  However, I'm concerned that I'm seeing another, smaller leak from the remaining section of main supply line and not rain water.  If there's another galvanized union in that line it might be on it's way out, and I'm going to be in the exact same position soon.  I hesitate to refill the hole and patch the concrete until I can conclusively answer whether there's another leak.

Thoughts?

omahawildcat25 said:
I would have the water shut off at the main and run a camera. Are you in a high water table? 
Don't know how high the water table is.  I live with a water view of a river, and I'm uphill by about 70-100' I'd say.  Soil is 100% clay and was a real ##### to dig up.  Thankfully someone turned me onto a San Angelo digging bar.  That thing saved me big time.

How much will this camera inspection run me?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Z Machine said:
I'll try to keep this concise with the details...

I had a leak in my main supply line from the water meter to my house.  This is a rowhome where the walls are concrete block and houses are built wall to wall.  The water line runs about 40' from the alley behind my house under the slab of the garage floor an into a small workshop in the basement where the main hose shutoff is located.  I "discovered" the leak when I saw a river of water flowing out of the water meter at probably a gallon/minute.  After a week of back and forth with the city, it was determined that the leak was on my side of the meter and thus my responsibility.  I got a number of quotes for repairing it (including like $8k for pulling a whole new line) and settled on me doing the concrete sawing and excavation to expose the water line and a licensed plumber pulling a permit and replacing only a section of the main supply line.

I excavated two holes: one right at the meter, and the other maybe 10' into my garage (about 15' from the meter).  The plumber pulled the old copper line (only 10 years old...  :hot: ) and found a galvanized union between a short copper pigtail at the meter and the long run to the main shutoff.  Needless to say this union had multiple large holes in it due to galvanic corrosion, which I thought was causing the leak.  The plumber pulled a new line (about 15') from the hole in the garage to the hole near the meter and used "Ford Couplings" to join the new copper to the older copper, which is 100% to code (unlike sweated copper elbows and galvanized unions).

Anyway, things were looking good until I noticed that the excavated holes were filling up with water.  It's not coming from the repaired section and the amount of water is like 100x less than before, but it still gives me pause.  You can see it here in this image: http://imgur.com/a/BbZz4

Water is weeping from the wood (pilings?) under the slab and filling the hole. Now this wood is under the drain tile which (I think) runs the perimeter of the foundation, so if water does come up through the ground, it should run into this drain tile and into the sump pump pit to be pumped out.  However, I'm concerned that I'm seeing another, smaller leak from the remaining section of main supply line and not rain water.  If there's another galvanized union in that line it might be on it's way out, and I'm going to be in the exact same position soon.  I hesitate to refill the hole and patch the concrete until I can conclusively answer whether there's another leak.

Thoughts?
I am not fully understanding the situation, likely since I am not a plumber.  are you certain its a leak?  I had something bizarre happen to me back in NY.......I had a basement house with a French drain (that black pipe that rimmed the foundation under the soil and a layer of gravel.  well, the end of the pipe got clogged and didn't release the French drain water, creating a backup that seeped into the basement slowly from under the foundation seemingly.  just throing that out there.  also, for 8k+, did you investigate maybe a well if allowed?  you can tell the town to shove it.

Might be misunderstanding the situation, but:

if you've replaced the line from the shutoff to the meter, by which I assume you mean the street shutoff, and not the one inside your house, then you can eliminate a couple of possibilities easily.

First, turn off the water at the street, and bail out the water in that hole.   If it returns at the same rate, then the problem isn't with your system.   If that solves the problem, then you have a couple of possibilities: the new line in might have a leak, or there might be an exterior line from the house (hose, exterior faucet, etc) that is the source.

Second, if you've determined that your system is the source, turn on the water from the street, and turn it off at the house shutoff valve.  Bail out the hole, and see if the water returns.    If it does, then the problem is obviously between the street shutoff and the house shutoff.   If it doesn't, start investigating all lines that exit the house.

Eta: could be leak between the meter and interior shutoff.  This is easy to spot: turn on the water from the street, turn off the interior shutoff, and see if the water meter indicates any water flow.    It might be very gradual, so doing this while you're gone for a full day would be best.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be misunderstanding the situation, but:

if you've replaced the line from the shutoff to the meter, by which I assume you mean the street shutoff, and not the one inside your house, then you can eliminate a couple of possibilities easily.

First, turn off the water at the street, and bail out the water in that hole.   If it returns at the same rate, then the problem isn't with your system.   If that solves the problem, then you have a couple of possibilities: the new line in might have a leak, or there might be an exterior line from the house (hose, exterior faucet, etc) that is the source.

Second, if you've determined that your system is the source, turn on the water from the street, and turn it off at the house shutoff valve.  Bail out the hole, and see if the water returns.    If it does, then the problem is obviously between the street shutoff and the house shutoff.   If it doesn't, start investigating all lines that exit the house.

Eta: could be leak between the meter and interior shutoff.  This is easy to spot: turn on the water from the street, turn off the interior shutoff, and see if the water meter indicates any water flow.    It might be very gradual, so doing this while you're gone for a full day would be best.   
That's what I'm doing right now.  I shut off at the street last night and very little water came into the hole.  I'll shut off at the house tonight and see if the same thing happens.  If it is weather dependent (i.e. this is rain water flowing through the ground) I have to hope that I have dry conditions overnight.

That's what I'm doing right now.  I shut off at the street last night and very little water came into the hole.  I'll shut off at the house tonight and see if the same thing happens.  If it is weather dependent (i.e. this is rain water flowing through the ground) I have to hope that I have dry conditions overnight.
Maybe dig a couple of test holes at other locations, including a couple that are far removed from your lines.

I'd rather not cut more holes in my garage floor that I have to refill and re-concrete later on.  There are no areas of this line that are not covered in concrete.
I think he meant to dig holes on the outside of your garage.  If there's groundwater under your garage you'll have groundwater under your yard at the same depth.

Users who are viewing this thread