What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Water Company WSSC overcharged me RESOLVED!!!! (1 Viewer)

Mine is 6’ underground
OK, I see what you mean. The connection from the meter to your house is 6' underground. But out at the end of that trench, closest to the road, is the actual meter they read which is at the surface.

It’s not 6’ but it’s a good 4 feet. It’s housed inside a large steel cylinder that has a cover. To take that picture I had to lay on the ground and lower my arm almost all the way down.

Typically it's homeowner responsibility from the water meter (not including the meter) to the house. Property line doesn't really come into play though those 2 could be the same.
I've worked on several WSSC jobs over the years and typically the water meter is either at or within a couple feet of the property line.
Right, typically. But sometimes the property line is inside where the meter/shutoff is, like this https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublishedimage/10242/636951515493700000 (that's likely within a few feet though). Or as mentioned by some their meter is in the house so I incorrectly used meter there instead of shutoff.

Typically it's homeowner responsibility from the water meter (not including the meter) to the house. Property line doesn't really come into play though those 2 could be the same.
I've worked on several WSSC jobs over the years and typically the water meter is either at or within a couple feet of the property line.
Right, typically. But sometimes the property line is inside where the meter/shutoff is, like this https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublishedimage/10242/636951515493700000 (that's likely within a few feet though). Or as mentioned by some their meter is in the house so I incorrectly used meter there instead of shutoff.
You're ******** right you did LOL

I would have done the opposite. I would have assumed they were all in the house lol

here is my dad in the basement

Last edited:

Good diagram. That’s how mine is.

Your ******** right you did LOL

I would have done the opposite. I would have assumed they were all in the house lol

here is my dad in the basement
Your dad looks different than mine did. :P

Not a lot of basements around here, which I assume is "odd" to people up north.

I do have to ask about the third shut off valve coming off the side to that PVC. What's that for?

:lmao: Only because you guys opened the door.. (I actually commented on this earlier this morning, but deleted my post)

Just seeing that plastic T coming right off the Water main makes me nervous due to the PTSD from all the water emergencies I used to work on at a past job.

I do have to ask about the third shut off valve coming off the side to that PVC. What's that for?

:lmao: Only because you guys opened the door.. (I actually commented on this earlier this morning, but deleted my post)

Just seeing that plastic T coming right off the Water main makes name nervous due to the PTSD from all the water emergencies I used to work on at a past job.
I actually like that one in the pic.

Double shut off valves early for redundancy. Smart thinking.

Just seeing that plastic T coming right off the Water main makes name nervous due to the PTSD from all the water emergencies I used to work on at a past job.
I was trying to reply to that post and kept getting an error but couldn't figure out why at first. It was gone.

And now I don't remember what I was going to say. 🧓

(something about copper into PVC...)

Are you saying my father doesn't know what he is doing!!!!!! I'll fight you!!!! You think they make thread copper fittings for fun!!!!

Always have a sprinkler shutoff valve

That used to be part of his job. Whether that's up to today's code is a different argument lol

Are you saying my father doesn't know what he is doing!!!!!! I'll fight you!!!! You think they make thread copper fittings for fun!!!!

Always have a sprinkler shutoff valve

That used to be part of his job. Whether that's up to today's code is a different argument lol
Annnnnd the image is gone

@Osaurus @belljr @ChiefD

Here is a pic and video of my OLD meter. They told me that liquid inside was normal/oil that lubricates the gears.

:shrug:

Old meter picture

Old meter video (triangle above the “7” not moving
Did you jiggle the meter at all see how the liquid in question moved (i.e. viscosity)? I’m certainly not used to seeing any liquid just under the lid and around the dials.

Here’s a photo of my meter for reference
Looked more like water than oil to me.

@Osaurus @belljr @ChiefD

Here is a pic and video of my OLD meter. They told me that liquid inside was normal/oil that lubricates the gears.

Old meter picture

Did you jiggle the meter at all see how the liquid in question moved (i.e. viscosity)? I’m certainly not used to seeing any liquid just under the lid and around the dials.

Agreed. Looks like it was compromised imo

I had a water leak that I didn't know about. I got a flyer on my door one day from the water company saying I may have a leak because the meter had been running for over 24 hrs straight. I proceeded to walk around my entire yard checking sprinkler lines and anywhere else I knew water had a chance to leak. I saw zero evidence of any leak. I now start to worry that it is in the house so I shut off the valve at my house and go check the meter. It is still running so I know the leak is somewhere between the meter (at the street just inside my yard) and the house (where my other shut off valve is located). The path from the meter to the house goes through my front grass area and under the concrete driveway. I see not evidence of a leak. I know the leak is small because the meter is barely moving but it is moving. A day or two later (before I had a chance to call out a leak detection service) I see a puddle right outside my kitchen window.....Ah...ha! The leak. I dig up the area and find three pinhole sized leaks. I also find a root from an oak tree that has gotten under the pipe and has started to deflect the pipe so I figure this is the cause. I don't do copper so I call a plumber to come out to fix it. He removes about 18-24 inches of line and replaces it. I removed the root causing the stress on the line and cross my fingers we are good.

My water bill for this time frame was more than double the usual bill. I discuss with the water company and they agree to discount the bill. I have to pay half of the difference between the leak bill and my average bill. Great service.

6 months go by and I am on vacation in Colorado. My neighbor calls me and says I have a puddle in the same area so I have them turn the water off at the meter to stop the leak and deal with it when I get home. I dig up the same area and sure enough there is another pin hole leak a little upstream of the previous new pips repair. I throw a hose clamp/inner tube on the leak and it holds. At this point I am now fearing the line replacement cost and know that I should call a plumber and get a few quotes. Time goes by and I don't do it yet. 6 months after the hose clamp fix, I get another pin hole leak next to the hose clamp area. Luckily I hadn't filled in the hole so it was easy to detect. I throw another hose clamp/inner tube fix on that leak and call a plumber. I am currently waiting for the quotes.

NOTE: The house was built in 1966 and this is the original copper install for the water line. It is due for replacement for sure.

As far as the OP is concerned, I am flabbergasted that they dug up your yard to "find the leak". There are ways to detect leaks without having to dig up the line. Since they didn't go that route I have no doubt they were just trying to get paid. Your water company is terrible. I hope you get all your money back (as you should).

@Osaurus @belljr @ChiefD

Old meter picture

Agreed. Looks like it was compromised imo
I don't think I've ever seen a liquid INSIDE the meter.

Gonna check my meter when I get home.

And edit: and for those idiots who said that was oil and supposed to be there? Gimme a break. :lol:

Well, it only took a few dozen phone calls and 50+ emails but I got them to cave and pay me back my $6,500!!!!! :clap:

This was hands-down, the hardest non physical thing I’ve ever had to do in my life. I’ve been battling them since the week before Christmas. I’ve spoken to about a dozen former past and current employees.

I’m not sure what was the catalyst other than persistence. Or just a coincidence that I threatened to sue them and go to the media about some information I found out by talking to their current and former employees including executives.

Last edited:
RELEASE AND SATISFACTION
Claim #XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

WHEREAS, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX AND XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, (hereinafter "the
Undersigned") has a claim against the WASHINGTON SUBURBAN SANITARY
COMMISSION based on damages resulting from underground leak review that
occurred on or about the 13th Day of December 2023 at or near XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, Silver Spring, MD, 20905 (hereinafter "the Occurrence"); and
WHEREAS, the undersigned desires to settle this claim.
NOW THEREFORE, for the sole consideration of payment to the
Undersigned in the total sum of Six Thousand Five Hundred Dollars and
Zero Cents ($6,500.00), and other good and valuable consideration, the
receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, the Undersigned,
being of lawful age and with appropriate authority, has released and
discharged, and by these presents does for themselves, their heirs,
executors, administrators and assigns, releases, acquits and forever
discharges the WSSC and any and all other persons, firms and corporations
of and from any and all actions, causes of action, claims, demands,
damages, costs, loss of services, expenses, compensation, and all
consequential damages on account of, or in any way growing out of, any
and all known and unknown property damage resulting from underground leak
review that occurred on or about the 13th Day of December 2023 at or near
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
The Undersigned hereby declares and represents that they are
relying wholly upon their own judgment, belief and knowledge of the
nature, extent and duration of property damage, and that they have not
been influenced to any extent whatever in making this Release by any
representations or statements regarding said damages, or regarding any
other matters, made by the WSSC or by any person or persons representing

it or them.
The Undersigned hereby warrants and represents that they have not
received any payments for the damages that are the subject of this
release from any other person or entity. The Undersigned acknowledges
and agrees that the failure to disclose any such payments would
invalidate this release and settlement agreement and require the return
of any settlement funds paid under it to WSSC.
The Undersigned understands that this settlement is the compromise
of a doubtful and disputed claim, and that the payments made are not to
be construed as an admission of liability on the part of the persons,
firms and corporations hereby released by whom liability is expressly
denied.
The Undersigned agrees and acknowledges that this Release shall act
as a bar against it making any future claim or bringing any future suit
against the WSSC, any of its agents, employees and officers of WSSC or
any other person because of the referenced underground leak review.
Notwithstanding the provisions above, and in and for the
consideration stated herein, if the Undersigned should institute an
action against any party other than the WSSC herein for a cause of
action, claim or damages relating to the underground leak review described
above (hereinafter in this paragraph "Subject Damages"), and any other
party to such action shall assert any claim against the WSSC for
contribution or indemnity regarding the Subject Damages, the Undersigned
at its sole discretion shall either:
(a) reduce any judgment with respect to the Subject Damages to
the extent necessary to protect WSSC from said claims for
contribution or indemnity; or
(b) indemnify, hold harmless and defend WSSC, at the
Undersigned's sole expense, from said claims for
contributions or indemnity, in which case the WSSC authorizes
the Undersigned to conduct its defense and shall cooperate
fully in the presentation of its defense.

The Undersigned further states that they have carefully read the
foregoing Release, knows the contents thereof, and signs the same as its
own free act on this day of ,2024.

By:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
By:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

STATE OF MARYLAND :
: SS
COUNTY OF :
ON THIS day of , 2024, before me, the
undersigned officer, personally appeared, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
, known to me (or satisfactorily proven) to be the person whose
name is subscribed to the within instrument and acknowledged that it
executed the same for the purposes therein contained.
In Witness whereof, I hereunto set my hand and seal.

Notary

Im going to just sign it and move on but that screams of deflection and guilt to get them out of something more nefarious or just plain incompetence.

I started a NextDoor thread yesterday and it has over 100 replies of people expressing similar stories.

Im pretty sure the WSSC has some SERIOUS problems going on. I did a case search for the manager of the department I was dealing with and this old lawyer lady had 500+ cases against homeowners going after WSSC. She wins most of them.

Users who are viewing this thread