What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dalton Crossan (Colts) (1 Viewer)

Dismattle

Footballguy
First some tape https://youtu.be/77P8Ye7gmTM?t=1m51s because its not always about the 99 yd plays  Or even the 20 yd plays.  The difference is being able to make something out of not a thing.

Obviously we need some discussion of the competition.  Well we have Gore, who turned 34, back in May.   We also see South Florida's M. Mack (injured: undisclosed / missed minicamp)  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/756899-return-of-the-mackmarlon-mack-rb-indy/

Best for last..  It feels good part!  http://www.sachemreport.com/2017/04/29/sachem-alum-dalton-crossan-signing-with-colts/  “I don’t think Sachem has ever seen a more dynamic and versatile football player than Dalton Crossan,” said Falco. “He was a kick and punt returner, an outstanding defensive back, a runner, a receiver, he played quarterback, and all at a very high level. And then when you add on that he is an extreme workout and nutrition nut and dedicated to reaching his goal of making the NFL, he’s a special kid. He was a great leader, a great captain and has been a great ambassador to this program.”       If you compare his data to that of players who performed at the NFL Combine, he would rank in the top 10 running backs in every combine event and he would rank first in the 20-yard shuttle and second in the 60-yard shuttle only behind first round pick, Christian McCaffrey 

Just in case ya missed it..  If that wasn’t enough, his 10.91 career yards per carry is a record, meaning he ran for a first down almost every time he touched the ball.

If you didn't link an article, I would be 50% sure you were making this guy up right now. Like, if I were making up a football player, his made-up name would probably be something like Dalton Crossan, and he would probably have 10+ YPC at a tiny school  :lol:

Anyway, thanks for putting him on my radar  :thumbup:

My new FA target after the rookie draft.  Can't wait to hear the "who the f is that guy?"  I love taking guys like this when there is a more highly touted guy they drafted and there's quite a bit of hype for and yet the undrafted guy surprised and makes the team and carves a role.  

His 10.9 ypc was in high school at Sachem. In college Crossan played for the FCS New Hampshire Wildcats, where he had 5.8 ypc for his career. He became New Hampshire's starting RB as a junior and was selected to the Colonial Athletic Association conference third team, and then as a senior he improved to reach the All-CAA Football Second Team (behind first teamers Khalid Abdullah of James Madison and Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks of University of Albany). At his pro day he weighed in at 205 pounds and had a 4.52 40, 35" vertical, 10'2" broad jump, 6.85 3 cone, and 4.14 short shuttle.

First some tape https://youtu.be/77P8Ye7gmTM?t=1m51s because its not always about the 99 yd plays  Or even the 20 yd plays.  The difference is being able to make something out of not a thing.

Obviously we need some discussion of the competition.  Well we have Gore, who turned 34, back in May.   We also see South Florida's M. Mack (injured: undisclosed / missed minicamp)  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/756899-return-of-the-mackmarlon-mack-rb-indy/

Best for last..  It feels good part!  http://www.sachemreport.com/2017/04/29/sachem-alum-dalton-crossan-signing-with-colts/  “I don’t think Sachem has ever seen a more dynamic and versatile football player than Dalton Crossan,” said Falco. “He was a kick and punt returner, an outstanding defensive back, a runner, a receiver, he played quarterback, and all at a very high level. And then when you add on that he is an extreme workout and nutrition nut and dedicated to reaching his goal of making the NFL, he’s a special kid. He was a great leader, a great captain and has been a great ambassador to this program.”       If you compare his data to that of players who performed at the NFL Combine, he would rank in the top 10 running backs in every combine event and he would rank first in the 20-yard shuttle and second in the 60-yard shuttle only behind first round pick, Christian McCaffrey 

Just in case ya missed it..  If that wasn’t enough, his 10.91 career yards per carry is a record, meaning he ran for a first down almost every time he touched the ball.
That's my high school.

he won't amount to jack squat.

that's why nobody has heard of him.
You are likely correct, but I have learned to not completely dismiss these reports.  I catalogue them away for future reference.  Dalton Crossan's name has been mentioned a couple different times this offseason as having impressed, and even more specifically, Colts' GM, Chris Ballard, has singled out Crossan as a player who impressed him.  After OTAs, Ballard said that Crossan “does everything right every day.”  That is pretty high praise.

Gore is still producing, but at a Methuselahian (by NFL RB standards) 34 years of age, he is beginning to slow down.  Turbin and Mack will vie to be the primary backup, but Crossan could beat out second-year RB Josh Ferguson who failed to impress last season (1.3 ypc).  Crossan's versatility and special teams experience could win him a roster spot.  Crossan has adequate measurables, although despite his pro day numbers, he doesn't appear on tape to have great speed or explosiveness.  Crossan has excellent hands, and has experience in the slot, so he could carve out a role for the Colts.

Earning a roster spot for his work on special teams won't inspire me to draft Crossan onto my fantasy team, but he is on my radar.  Gore could hit the wall, Mack has some ball control and pass blocking issues, and while I really like Turbin as a value pick this season, he has yet to break out as more than a short-yardage relief.

You are likely correct, but I have learned to not completely dismiss these reports.  I catalogue them away for future reference.  Dalton Crossan's name has been mentioned a couple different times this offseason as having impressed, and even more specifically, Colts' GM, Chris Ballard, has singled out Crossan as a player who impressed him.  After OTAs, Ballard said that Crossan “does everything right every day.”  That is pretty high praise.

Gore is still producing, but at a Methuselahian (by NFL RB standards) 34 years of age, he is beginning to slow down.  Turbin and Mack will vie to be the primary backup, but Crossan could beat out second-year RB Josh Ferguson who failed to impress last season (1.3 ypc).  Crossan's versatility and special teams experience could win him a roster spot.  Crossan has adequate measurables, although despite his pro day numbers, he doesn't appear on tape to have great speed or explosiveness.  Crossan has excellent hands, and has experience in the slot, so he could carve out a role for the Colts.

Earning a roster spot for his work on special teams won't inspire me to draft Crossan onto my fantasy team, but he is on my radar.  Gore could hit the wall, Mack has some ball control and pass blocking issues, and while I really like Turbin as a value pick this season, he has yet to break out as more than a short-yardage relief.
I was mainly just trying to be funny. But on a serious note, using our time considering a UDFA from New Hampshire isn't the best use of our time. How deep of a bench do you need to pick up this man?

I was mainly just trying to be funny. But on a serious note, using our time considering a UDFA from New Hampshire isn't the best use of our time. How deep of a bench do you need to pick up this man?
Admittedly, pretty damn deep.  Even in a deep dynasty league, Crossan is no more than a deep watch list guy for me right now.  Running for 10+ yards per carry in h.s. is a fun statistic to throw out there, but it is basically meaningless in the analysis of Crossan as a potential pro.

Admittedly, pretty damn deep.  Even in a deep dynasty league, Crossan is no more than a deep watch list guy for me right now.  Running for 10+ yards per carry in h.s. is a fun statistic to throw out there, but it is basically meaningless in the analysis of Crossan as a potential pro.
I think you're underestimating Patchogue-Medford and East Islip's defenses.

cloppbeast said:
he won't amount to jack squat.

that's why nobody has heard of him.
I tend to agree after watching the highlight reel. That said, I suppose there's a chance he puts together a decent handful of games for a season or two due to opportunity.

I'm not ptting him on my target list, though.

It wasn't that long ago the Colts picked up another touted UDFA after the draft. Tyler Varga was a Harvard boy that shined in camp and earned a spot on the Week 1 roster as the starting kick returner. I think he even got a few carries and caught some balls that week. He was headed towards a larger role, but a concussion put him on IR. He retired after the season. It's probably a bad decision to immediately dismiss Crossan. 

While the odds are astronomically against him being dismissive is never wise unless the value doesn't match the worth of a player. His worth is zero so his value could also be zero with the high end being Arian Foster, Willie Parker, Priest Holmes... now that can be said for every UDFA but I suppose the point would be why talk about anyone if we're going to operate in absolutes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread