What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where should Caleb Williams go in 1 QB leagues? (1 Viewer)

Is he a late 1st option in 12 team leagues?

Joe Edit:

Great Question.

And to be most helpful to most people, I think by far the most useful way to discuss it is ask, "Where do you rank Caleb Williams among QB's this year?" And to be more clear, please specify redraft or dynasty league.

That takes out all the other variables about league size and starting rosters and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would draft him 6th.
Thomas before the QBs? MHJ, Nabors, Odunze and Bowers seem the consensus top 4, at least until we know where they land on draft day.

Depends on need of course, but 5-6 range is probably the range at this point.

Having been in a RB-mongering 1 QB league for over 2 decades, I expect one of the strangest rookie drafts. I could see the top 3 QBs all going in the first.

I’ve been debating getting Caleb Williams 7th in a 12-team 1QB where I already have two QBs who are probably going to enter 2024 ranked somewhere between QB11-13 (Tua and Purdy). I need WR depth the most but I’ve never had any luck drafting rookie WR’s and I need a QB with rushing upside. Tua and Purdy were frustrating to own as I ended up starting the wrong guy what seemed like half the time. Only other thing that gives me pause is that rostering 3 QB in a 1QB feels like overkill and it’s hard to trade QBs in my league. Won’t have to make a decision until August but not feeling great about it.

I can see him dropping to the end of first round rookie drafts and even to the 2nd round. Hell, Stroud went 3.01 and Young 2.02 last year in one dynasty 12 team 1QB league. In another, same format, Young went 2.02 and Stroud went 2.05.

I’ve been debating getting Caleb Williams 7th in a 12-team 1QB
Don't do it.

Take a chance on a WR if you need one, there are loads worth a punt. You don't need him and he has just as much chance of busting.
True. QBs historically in my league aren’t valued that high, plus the last time I took a QB in round 1 it backfired on me (Lance).

At the moment, MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers seem like the obvious top four. Combine testing and landing spot will shake things up a bit but the rest seem to be some combination of Thomas Jr., Franklin, Coleman, Legette, and maybe Mitchell.

I don't think Williams at 7 is a bad pick. I have Williams at 8 so I would wait 1 more pick, but nothing wrong with it.

I don't think Williams at 7 is a bad pick. I have Williams at 8 so I would wait 1 more pick, but nothing wrong with it.
If you already have 2 QB's, in a league where we're told QB isn't valued, when you need a WR, in a draft full of nice looking WR's, I think it'd be a bad pick.

Is he a late 1st option in 12 team leagues?

Great Question.

And to be most helpful to most people, I think by far the most useful way to discuss it is ask, "Where do you rank Caleb Williams among QB's this year?"

That takes out all the other variables about league size and starting rosters and such.

If you already have 2 QB's, in a league where we're told QB isn't valued, when you need a WR, in a draft full of nice looking WR's, I think it'd be a bad pick.
yes, I like the WRs in this draft, but I am drafting based on my rankings unless in extreme circumstances. So at 8 its not a bad pick.

Having been in a RB-mongering 1 QB league for over 2 decades, I expect one of the strangest rookie drafts. I could see the top 3 QBs all going in the first.
Same situation. Last year actually was the first anti-RB shocker to me in our league. A QB and 3 WR in the first 7 picks I think? And I thought that was a pretty interesting RB class. The year before was a less interesting RB class and we had 10 RB go in the first 11 picks. Really bucked the trend last year. Watch us go 10/11 RB again 😂

In my 1 QB PPR TE+ league, I have 1.09, and I don't see Caleb Williams lasting til my pick.
I see him going 1.07 as a reality.

But of course, Demand/Need will push some early.
My league Teams at 1.04, 1.05 & 1.06 all could use QB1 (best players on those teams is K Murray, Jimmy G, Kenny Pickett, so that could tip things).
AR went 1.05, Bryce Young 1.06 but CJ Stroud not until 2.05 last year so depending on what evolves over the next 3 months could influence things alot!

Way I see the draft right now is after the big 4 you fall off the cliff, catch yourself on the Brian Thomas branch on the way down and after that breaks you just tumble into the abyss. This class may be deep with WR's but it's sure not easy pickings so in that regard it's conceivable he starts making sense in that pick 6-7 range but no QB has gone that high in any of my drafts since RG3/Luck came out and when the dust settles I don't think he does either.

My thought is someone will push up a RB or two, fall in love with talent/draft capital of some other WR's and push him down into that round one/two turn area.

My thought is that Williams may not be the best QB of this class or the highest QB pick in the NFL draft.

I missed how he automatically got to the front of the line.

Unless I am missing something, this is not a rookie or dynasty question, but an overall question. Right? Where would I take him this year in fantasy drafts compared to other QBs?

I would take Mahomes, Hurts, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Dak, Stroud, Kirk, and Lamar over him with out thinking twice. I would most likely take Tua, Goff, Love, and Lawrence over him, but he is in that conversation. I may have missed an obvious one in there, but that is off the top of my head.

Unless I am missing something, this is not a rookie or dynasty question, but an overall question. Right? Where would I take him this year in fantasy drafts compared to other QBs?

I would take Mahomes, Hurts, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Dak, Stroud, Kirk, and Lamar over him with out thinking twice. I would most likely take Tua, Goff, Love, and Lawrence over him, but he is in that conversation. I may have missed an obvious one in there, but that is off the top of my head.
He was talking about rookie draft I thought

I read and read and read, and never saw rookie draft mentioned. Not my strong suit, so maybe i missed it.

It should be assumed as dynasty because no league of mine fitting this description does any QB ever go in round one.

Fwiw is the early BB redrafts in FFPC, which fits description of one QB/12 team league, he's currently going as QB16.

Trevor Lawrence was the last can't-miss QB prospect. In 2021 FFPC 1 QB rookie drafts, his ADP was 1.09. However, in that draft the RBs were much more highly regarded (Najee, Etienne, Javonte, even Sermon). The similarities between '21 and now are the "generational" TE (Pitts in '21, Bowers this year), the "generational" WR (Chase, Harrison), plus two more superb WRs (Waddle/Devonta Smith, Odunze/Nabers).

I think what could push Williams earlier than Lawrence is the lack of quality RBs. However, there's a decent chance that a lot of people believe that Lawrence did, in fact, "miss," and Williams drops because of "fool me twice, shame on me" syndrome, especially if Williams goes to Chicago.

I think if Williams does drop to the 1.08/1.09 range, it will also be because Jaden Daniels jumps him, similar to how Anthony Richardson was the QB3 in the reality draft but the QB1 in fantasy rookie drafts.

It should be assumed as dynasty because no league of mine fitting this description does any QB ever go in round one.

Fwiw is the early BB redrafts in FFPC, which fits description of one QB/12 team league, he's currently going as QB16.

That's why it's way more useful to talk about where Williams would rank among QBs in a redraft league. And where he'd rank among QBs in a dynasty league.

I have Justin Fields and Baker Mayfield. I traded my 1.12 for Kyler Murray. I did not think Williams would make it to me at 1.12 but honestly have not done my rookie rankings and won't really till I know the landing spots. I can say I like Murray better than any of the big three at QB from the little that I have seen If that helps. I'm a believer in the position in a 1QB format. I know that seems different but I do a lot of things differently.

Last edited:

I was asking with rookie drafts in mind, my apologies for not being more clear.

Those are massive factors in dynasty, you can't take them out. QB's are FAR more important in 16 man leagues then they are in 12 man leagues, and FAR FAR FAR more important in SF than other positions.
Yep. Play in a 16 teamer, 1 QB and pretty sure Williams will go no later than 6th overall.

I have pick #5 in a 16 team 1 QB dynasty and hope that one of the top 3 WR or Bowers falls to me. Was not planning on taking QB at 5, but if Williams is the generational talent some think he now may be my choice. I also have 2.1, 2.4, 2.5, 2.11, 3.1, 3.5, 3.7, 3.12 and 3.13. I should be able to find plenty of RB and WR later on.

Late 2nd or early 3rd but I know someone will grab him before me and I thank who ever that is... after seeing him cry like an infant and the way he carries himself outside of football; he has BUST written all over him.

Those are massive factors in dynasty, you can't take them out. QB's are FAR more important in 16 man leagues then they are in 12 man leagues, and FAR FAR FAR more important in SF than other positions.
Yep. Play in a 16 teamer, 1 QB and pretty sure Williams will go no later than 6th overall.
This seems right to me but if I need a QB and have the 5 or 6, I’m looking to trade for a QB instead of drafting Caleb.
Take a look around the league and find the overly strong backups.

Just looking at my large league (32 teams, two copies of each player) there are a few prime candidates imo - teams have Trevor and Tua, Purdy and Stroud (funny, two teams have this combo), Herbert and Murray. I’m pretty sure at least one of these teams would trade their 2nd QB for the 6 although that might require finding an adequate veteran backup.

Of course you might prefer Caleb to any team’s 2. But it’s worth looking around. Despite the struggles, I think I’d take Trevor over Caleb but they’re probably about equal.

I have pick #5 in a 16 team 1 QB dynasty and hope that one of the top 3 WR or Bowers falls to me. Was not planning on taking QB at 5, but if Williams is the generational talent some think he now may be my choice. I also have 2.1, 2.4, 2.5, 2.11, 3.1, 3.5, 3.7, 3.12 and 3.13. I should be able to find plenty of RB and WR later on.
You could almost certainly get one of the other top QBs at 2.1. Or just trade a couple of those picks for a QB you like.

You could almost certainly get one of the other top QBs at 2.1. Or just trade a couple of those picks for a QB you like.
sounds like Williams is the QB he likes. i don't play in 1QB leagues but 1.5 doesn't sound unreasonable.

Last edited:
I can see him dropping to the end of first round rookie drafts and even to the 2nd round. Hell, Stroud went 3.01 and Young 2.02 last year in one dynasty 12 team 1QB league. In another, same format, Young went 2.02 and Stroud went 2.05.
I would love for him to fall to me at the 1.10. Yes, Bryce went in the second and Stround in the third in my league last year, but A Rich went 1.03, and Caleb could be a similar reach this year.

I think I'd have a tough time taking him before 1.09, although pre-draft he enters the conversation at 1.06.

MHjr, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas, & Bowers are an easy top 5 for me. 2nd tier WRs landing with good QBs are probably the next two or three selections.

I'd also consider early RBs that land in Dallas or LA before Williams.

I would love for him to fall to me at the 1.10. Yes, Bryce went in the second and Stround in the third in my league last year, but A Rich went 1.03, and Caleb could be a similar reach this year.
People reached for ARich because his attributes lend themselves to do really well in FF even if he isn’t a great NFL QB. Do You see similar upside with Caleb? I personally don’t.

People reached for ARich because his attributes lend themselves to do really well in FF even if he isn’t a great NFL QB. Do You see similar upside with Caleb? I personally don’t.
I am not sure with Caleb. I am willing to take a chance end of the first, only because I have 1.10, 2.01, 2.02 and 2.03 and have Josh Allen as a starter. If I only had one pick I would go WR or RB. I see Caleb in the Kyler Murray range of athleticism. I do think he is the best in this class though.

I have Caleb around the 10-12 dynasty QB range. That would make him an early-mid 2nd round rookie pick. QBs don't tend to hold as much value in the 12 team 1QB leagues I'm familiar with. I've found it's often better to trade for a QB and know what you're getting than risk a 1st on one.

Users who are viewing this thread