What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

White Nationalists march on University of Virginia (3 Viewers)

That was the worst presidential statement in the time of crisis that has ever been uttered.  Pathetic, and sadly, expected. 
Yeah, no surprise it's mostly about Trump's legislative victory (although it is for vets so at least it is something everyone can agree is important).

Imagine if these people ever faced actual oppression.Nobody is trying to legislate away their right to marry. Nobody is trying to make them buy insurance to pay for 'male health care.' The law never:
Enslaved their great-grandparents
Robbed their grandparents
Imprisoned their parents
Shot them when unarmed
There is no massive effort at the state and local level to disenfranchise them of the vote. There is no history of centuries of bad science devoted to 'proving' their intellectual inferiority. There is no travel ban on them because of their religion.
There is no danger for them when they carry dangerous weaponry publicly. Their churches were never burned. Their lawns never decorated with burning crosses. Their ancestors never hung from trees. Their mothers aren't being torn away by ICE troopers and sent away forever. They won't be forced to leave the only country they ever knew.The president has not set up a hotline to report crime committed at their hands. They are chanting 'we will not be replaced.'
Replaced as??? I'll tell you. Replaced as the only voice in public discussions.
Replaced as the only bodies in the public arena.
Replaced as the only life that matters. THIS is 'white people' oppression: They used to be the only voice. Now we hold the only microphone.THIS is 'white man' oppression. They face criticism now. They were free from it because others feared the consequences. 
THIS is 'oppression' of white Christians in this country. Christmas used to be the only holiday acknowledged, now it's not. I would so love to see these people get all the oppression they insist they receive, just for a year. Just to see. Give them a world where you ACTUALLY can't say Christmas.
A world where the name "Geoff" on a resume puts it in the trash. Give them a world where they suddenly get a 20% pay cut, and then 70 women every day tell them to smile more. Give them a world where their polo shirt makes people nervous, so they're kicked off the flight from Pittsburgh to Indianapolis. Give them a world where they inherited nothing but a very real understanding of what oppression really ####### is. Give them a world where if they pulled up on a campus with torches lit and started throwing hands, the cops would punch their eyes out. 
Put THAT in your Tiki torches and light it, you sorry Nazi #####es.
Good morning by the way how is everybody.

*credit to @juliusgoat on twitter
come one, these guys have had it rough.

A confirmed fatality from the plowing car.

So we have a group of people in this county who are chanting Nazi slogans, cozying up to the KGB, and using tactics of Islamic extremists. What has the past century even been about for the US?
Nazi kills innocent civilian. Trump will not condemn racist attacks.

Our country in a nutshell at the moment. 

Politicians are sociopaths. They're about gaining power by any means necessary. 
Let's not seed this thought. There ARE those who, especially to begin their careers as public servants, that do so for the right reasons.

This current climate, however, moreso than any other time I recall, culls a lot of potential good candidates before they even run... after all, why become a representative at any level when the prevalent though is they are not just greedy but all sociopaths.

We need to redefine serving in the public realm, expect and demand a higher level of service, but then respect the service of those representing us in our republic.

Last edited by a moderator:
"It appears he is coming back for questions"

"Actually I'm going to sign the bill in here, thank you. Who's getting the pen?"

Let's not seed this thought. There ARE those who, especially to begin their careers as public servants.

This current climate, however, moreso than any other time I recall, culls a lot of potential good candidates before they even run... after all, why become a representative at any level when the prevalent though is they are not just greedy but all sociopaths.

We need to redefine serving in the public realm, expect and demand a higher level of service, but then respect the service of those representing us in our republic.
I agree, but let's also remember the old adage: Power corrupts.

If they set term limits and made it so they make minimum wage, then we may get somewhere. 

My thoughts go out to the victims and their families in Charlotteville today.  I hope there was only one fatality and those that committed these acts are brought to justice.  I also hope one day we can all look back at this and agree it should never happen again.

Folks over at The_Donald were touting this rally with a stickied post a week ago with thousands of upvotes and comments. They've now deleted that post and comments are claiming that the Nazis are "false flag" plants from antifa.

I hope so.  I hope the normal people that had a lapse of reason for one bad day last November, that talked themselves into supreme court fantasies and tax cuts and pro-life ideals realize the the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
Technically he has more still on his side among the Republicans but the strongest support clearly comes from his base. And even there as reports this week have said, there's been a droppage. 

You think we're so innocent?
In this context the "sides" are people who are OK with white supremacists and people are are not.  The fact that there are people in the latter group who used to oppose gay marriage or who like deep dish pizza or whatever other sin you might be contemplating is irrelevant.

I keep coming back to "personally derelict".  This speech didn't improve things.

He was my pick this time around...
Well said.  Both thoughts.  

"Personally derelict" is an excellent descriptor.  Trump could have done a lot to shrink his diplomacy knowledge gap over the last few years with a high level of intellectual curiosity, but he'd rather watch TV and eat KFC. 

In this context the "sides" are people who are OK with white supremacists and people are are not.  The fact that there are people in the latter group who used to oppose gay marriage or who like deep dish pizza or whatever other sin you might be contemplating is irrelevant.
There's really no gray area here. Either you condemn racist behavior or you don't. You don't walk a political line trying to appease both sides.

Unless you're an immoral corrupt piece of human dung. 

(As an aside I find the whole practice of expecting politicians to condemn universal evils to be useless.  Do you really expect a Congressman, governor, POTUS, etc. to laud such an act?  Pretty silly.)
In general I do think people are too quick and narrow when condemning politicians over small things like this.  In Trump's case he ceded high ground here because of his own rhetoric during the campaign and beyond, but I agree with your greater point here.

Politicians are sociopaths. They're about gaining power by any means necessary. 
"gaining power" is not really a defining characteristic of a sociopath, though. Sociopaths certainly like power, they also have an intense fear of criticism as well as a fear of losing control. So, many sociopaths enter fields of work where they can have a lot of power but are also less likely to be criticized or lose control. That's why sociopaths tend to be self-employed business owner types, doctors, lawyers, etc. They tend to work for themselves, which allows them to centralize their control and reduce criticism.

It's also part of the reason why business owner types are less likely to run for political office.

Most Many sociopaths shun the spotlight. They want to control their own little portion of the world and that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but let's also remember the old adage: Power corrupts.

If they set term limits and made it so they make minimum wage, then we may get somewhere. 
Agreed. That said, we need people to rise to the occasion an overcome those tendencies. 

If ever our country needed leadership... based on building a nation back to glory, of respect of community and of others, of working together, all walks of life, to overcome this dark period and re-establish our role beacon of freedom and opportunity, it is today.

An echo of our nation's very birth. 

Users who are viewing this thread