What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 5th Pick - 12 team non PPR Thread** (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Haven't seen one so I'll start it.  Assuming top 2 RBs and Brown are gone.  Leaves the likes of Julio, OBJ, Mike Evans and McCoy around that pick.  I'm certainly going to go one of the top WRs.  OBJ is slipping a bit in my mind, as he has big games and then a lot of meh games.  I'm leaning towards whomever's left between Julio and Mike Evans.  If both are there I may go Evans.  The real question will come round 2.  Have to decide what's the lowest tier RB that I will take vs chasing a run.  Most drafts I've seen it comes down to the likes of Fournette, Lamar Miller, etc.  Other option is to forego that and go WR/WR.  Gronk is often there, as are Brandin Cooks, Doug Baldwin.  So are both QBs (I have a 6 point TD league) but I tend not to go there.  Teams where I start with 2-3 WRs often leave me with the likes of Gillisee/Blount as RBs.

How are you playing it? Who are you looking for in round 2/3?

OBJ is the pick - his PPG avg through 3 seasons is the best in FF history.  Those "meh" games may not lose you the weekly matchup but when he goes off you have a very good chance of winning.  I'm picking 5th and taking Julio or OBJ - whomever is left. 

Haven't seen one so I'll start it.  Assuming top 2 RBs and Brown are gone.  Leaves the likes of Julio, OBJ, Mike Evans and McCoy around that pick.  I'm certainly going to go one of the top WRs.  OBJ is slipping a bit in my mind, as he has big games and then a lot of meh games.  I'm leaning towards whomever's left between Julio and Mike Evans.  If both are there I may go Evans.  The real question will come round 2.  Have to decide what's the lowest tier RB that I will take vs chasing a run.  Most drafts I've seen it comes down to the likes of Fournette, Lamar Miller, etc.  Other option is to forego that and go WR/WR.  Gronk is often there, as are Brandin Cooks, Doug Baldwin.  So are both QBs (I have a 6 point TD league) but I tend not to go there.  Teams where I start with 2-3 WRs often leave me with the likes of Gillisee/Blount as RBs.

How are you playing it? Who are you looking for in round 2/3?
Ya I don't like the Evans move at all.  I'd 100% go Julio or OBJ.  However since this isn't PPR, an RB there (gordon/freeman/mccoy) isn't out of the question either and should be considered, because I really don't love the mid-late 2nd round rbs there.

Ya I don't like the Evans move at all.  I'd 100% go Julio or OBJ.  However since this isn't PPR, an RB there (gordon/freeman/mccoy) isn't out of the question either and should be considered, because I really don't love the mid-late 2nd round rbs there.
Agreed - way overthinking things leaving Julio or OBJ on the board. Better QB, better talent, better proven track record.  Evans could have a big year but that's a foolish choice at this point.

OBJ is the pick - his PPG avg through 3 seasons is the best in FF history.  Those "meh" games may not lose you the weekly matchup but when he goes off you have a very good chance of winning.  I'm picking 5th and taking Julio or OBJ - whomever is left. 
That was my original thought.  I'll go back and look at OBJ's PPG.  I didn't think it was that high in our leagues scoring

Well, here was the scoring from our league last year.  1 point per 10 yards, 5 point bonus at 100 yards, 6 point TD's

WMike Evans WR | TB 200.00

WJordy Nelson WR | GB 199.00

WAntonio Brown WR | PIT 193.00

WOdell Beckham WR | NYG 187.00

WT.Y. Hilton WR | IND 175.00

WJulio Jones WR | ATL 169.00

Personally I love Evans this year... He was the most heavily targeted receiver in the league last season and OBJ now shares with Brandon Marshall and Julio is in a Kyle Shanahanless offense. Now I'm not knocking Julio and OBJ a bunch but I think Evans if anyone has the most to gain from the offseason with another year of messing with ascending star Jameis and the addition of DJax who is the perfect opposite(stretches D, commands attention and will not see a lot of targets like marshall).

So in conclusion, I would rather have Evans, but there is no bad choice here OBJ or Julio.

When you get one of those elite WR1s, I would go Zeke/Crowell or some combo of zeke then another RB to really maximize your chance at a title. There are a bunch of great replacement RBs for the beginning of the season (Jaquizz rodgers, McFadden, Woodhead, ec) that you should be able to get by with and then dominate once zeke returns. 

Plus there are so many values at WR in later rounds that you could fill up on RBs after zeke in 3,4, and 5

Judge Smails said:
OK - top WR no matter what.  What are you leaning rounds 2/3?
Usually I target WRs in the first couple of rounds if it's PPR.

Here's a 14-team $100 league that I completed last night.  I was able to snag four good WR  in the PPR format OBJ/Allen/Snead/Cobb and still have three solid, starting RBs in Zeke/Ware/Kelly.  And a big upside TE in Eifert if he stays healthy.  Overall very happy with this draft given it was 14-team so the talent pool is spread a bit.

5th - OBJ

24th - Zeke

33rd - K. Allen

52nd - Ware

61 - Snead

80 - Cobb

89 - Eifert

108 - Rob Kelley

117 - Rivers

Last edited by a moderator:
PPRGuy said:
Personally I love Evans this year... He was the most heavily targeted receiver in the league last season and OBJ now shares with Brandon Marshall and Julio is in a Kyle Shanahanless offense. Now I'm not knocking Julio and OBJ a bunch but I think Evans if anyone has the most to gain from the offseason with another year of messing with ascending star Jameis and the addition of DJax who is the perfect opposite(stretches D, commands attention and will not see a lot of targets like marshall).

So in conclusion, I would rather have Evans, but there is no bad choice here OBJ or Julio.

When you get one of those elite WR1s, I would go Zeke/Crowell or some combo of zeke then another RB to really maximize your chance at a title. There are a bunch of great replacement RBs for the beginning of the season (Jaquizz rodgers, McFadden, Woodhead, ec) that you should be able to get by with and then dominate once zeke returns. 

Plus there are so many values at WR in later rounds that you could fill up on RBs after zeke in 3,4, and 5
Zeke/Crowell would be good but make sure it's in round 3.  No way you take either of those guy at 2.08.  Zeke is out for 54% of the fantasy season... not worth the 2.08 at all and I'd be terrified if he was my RB1 this year in non PPR.

Don't overthink this.  Take ODB or Julio... make a gut feeling call on that.  Find a decent RB starter that slips to you at 2.8.  Could be a Murrey/Howard/Ajayi/Gurley type.  Then go after Best WR/RB available in round 3.  I'd prefer RB there but don't reach.  If you can grab Miller, Fournette, or Crowell there at 3.5 then jump on that... if not then grab another DT type WR and you'll be off to a GREAT start either way.

Anyone able to get Gronk with their second pick here? He's falling to me in mock drafts, but I find that crazy.  Something like Julio then Gronk looks mighty tasty.

I'm on the opposite end.  The WR pool is deep IMO and I would rather have McCoy,  Freeman or Gordon locked up in the 1st for non-ppr.  In the 2nd, I'm taking BPA which is mostly likely a WR (Cooper, Dez, Cooks). Gurley is my last RB on the board for going RB/RB.  For me (and this is just me), the dropoff is way to steep and I want at least one "proven" workhorse on my team.  I don't mind upside guys as RB 2's or 3's, but not my #1 in a standard league.  

Just did a live draft out of the five hole

1.05  McCoy

2.08  Cooper

3.05  D. Thomas

4.08  L. Fitzgerald

5.05  Powell

6.06  D. Martin

7.05  Woodhead

8.08  D Parker

9.05  Rivers

10.08 McFadden

11.05 H. Henry

12.08 Bernard 

13.05 Gostkowski

14.08  Panthers

15.05 D. Lewis

16.08  Vereen

QB: Rivers

RB: McCoy, Powell, Martin, Woodhead, McFadden, Bernard, Lewis, Vereen

WR: Cooper, Thomas, Fitzgerald, Parker

TE: Henry

K: Gostkowski

DST:  Panthers

My draft was yesterday.

1.05 Evans

2.08 Gurley

3.05 Dalvin Cook

4.08 Demarius Thomas

5.05 Tyreek Hill

6.08 McFadden

7.05 Rivers

8.08 Jimmy Graham

9.05 Lacy

10.08 Cardinal D

11.05 Eli

12.08 Matt Bryant

13.05 Hunter Henry

14.08 Joe Williams

15.05 Tampa Bay D

QB - Rivers, Eli Manning

RB - Gurley, Cook, McFadden, Lacy, J Williams

WR/TE - Mike Evans, D. Thomas, T. Hill, Graham, Henry

K - Bryant

D - Cardinals, Bucs

Love my WRs and I can manage with Rivers and Eli.  It's going to come down to RBs.  McFadden buys me time the first 3rd of the season.  Can pencil him in as a flex.  Gurley - we'll see.  I love what I see from Cook based on film I've seen this preseason.  Solid D and kicker so it's well balanced.  No glaring holes unless my RBs tank, but I think everyone will be in that boat

Comes down to preference.  In looking at the two drafts above, both Teams are solid.  As I mentioned, I'm more comfortable with McCoy/Powell/Cooper/Thomas than I am with Gurley/Cook/Evans/Thomas.  It's very close however.

Drafted out of the 5 hole and went the RB route with McCoy.

I'm not in love with this team and had a couple panick picks on a short timeframe. I overdrafted Matt Ryan as it's 6 point passing tds.

1.(5)LeSean McCoy  (Buf - RB)

2.(20)Rob Gronkowski  (NE - TE)

3.(29)Demaryius Thomas  (Den - WR)

4.(44)Carlos Hyde  (SF - RB)

5.(53)Matt Ryan  (Atl - QB)

6.(68)Derrick Henry  (Ten - RB)

7.(77)Adrian Peterson  (NO - RB)

8.(92)Chris Hogan  (NE - WR)

9.(101)Eddie Lacy  (Sea - RB)

10.(116)Stephen Gostkowski  (NE - K)

11.(125)Jamaal Charles  (Den - RB)

12.(140)Mike Wallace  (Bal - WR)