What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

if Edelman is out, who's the #1 WR in NE? (1 Viewer)

Banger

Footballguy
Is it Hogan or Cooks?  We know Brady has familiarity with Hogan and he fits the offense well.  How has Cooks looked in preseason?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Gronkowski...as far as the guys you listed, it's going to be game to game. same as it would have been w/ Edelman

easy answer:  Gronk (when healthy) and Cooks.  I would say that Cooks benefits the most because he catches passes in the middle range and is a monster after the catch.

Cooks was a fantasy WR1 before Edelman got hurt . . . so yeah, he should reap extra targets. Hogan probably becomes fantasy startable now. Amendola should get a lot more snaps (if you believe he can stay healthy). Fair amount of receiving targets will also get off loaded to RB's.

Cooks was going to be #1 before Edelman got hurt. Flip a coin between Mitchell and Hogan at this point to take over at WR2. Both will be bye week flex players but probably too inconsistent to start every week. Gronk and Cooks should both be in line for great numbers. Heck, with all the pass catching RB's they have you can probably expect people like Burkhead and Lewis to get a bump also but again-probably too inconsistent for every week starts.

Bump Rex.
Too bad he's injured and couldn't go tonight. Rex would make sense, he looked much better catching passes than he did running the ball at least.

Edelman was a safety valve so when he went down my initial thought was bump Gronk, bump the pass catching backs, bump Amendola.

Regardless of who plays the slot now, Hogan now goes from playing only in 3WR sets to full time starter. He's gone from end-of-draft flyer to seventh-rounder, IMHO.

If Burkhead gets the slot, that's one less body mucking up the backfield. Bump Gillisliee?

easy answer:  Gronk (when healthy) and Cooks.  I would say that Cooks benefits the most because he catches passes in the middle range and is a monster after the catch.
Sure, Gronk and Cooks.  But that pie is big enough to make the 3rd and 4th guys much wore fantasy relevant.  Bump everyone - especially Hogan and Mitchell.

I was gonna bump Lewis and Allen to go against the grain.

The obvious next man up is Hogan.

In that offense it seems really difficult to separate out who gets the estimated 80 or so receptions that would have been Edelman's.

They didn't trade a first round pick for Cooks for nothing. He's been unstoppable in camp.
I have a feeling because NEP dont historically show their tricks with their studs in preseason games, they think Cooks wont be a stud. 

Cooks is a Top flight WR1 now. 

Cooks was going to be #1 before Edelman got hurt. Flip a coin between Mitchell and Hogan at this point to take over at WR2. Both will be bye week flex players but probably too inconsistent to start every week. Gronk and Cooks should both be in line for great numbers. Heck, with all the pass catching RB's they have you can probably expect people like Burkhead and Lewis to get a bump also but again-probably too inconsistent for every week starts.
Maybe, but Hogan is still gonna get 8 TDs himself, he had 6 last year. I will be starting Cooks, Gronk and now after a scoop off waivers Hogan. I dont think playing as many Pats on one team is a bad thing. Normally dont like too many eggs in one basket. But when that one basket is working, why use another?  

I like that nobody mentions #80.
Because no one should mention #80 as the Pats #1 WR. Amendola goes from rarely getting on the field to getting some snaps now in multi receiver sets. Hogan goes from playing in 3 receiver sets to probably not coming off the field much. If Mitchell were healthy, I would bump him too. The issue for Amendola is that the Pats have been trying their RB's lining up in the slot. Amendola is still after Cooks, Hogan, and Mitchell on the depth chart on a team that has the best TE and uses their RB's a ton. And there is also Carr to consider, who has looked really good in camp. Amendola has more value than two days ago, but I would not say his value has skyrocketed.

pghrob said:
I was gonna bump Lewis and Allen to go against the grain.

The obvious next man up is Hogan.

In that offense it seems really difficult to separate out who gets the estimated 80 or so receptions that would have been Edelman's.
I think your first thought is dead on.  Allen because of the history of the patriots employing two TEs successfully and Lewis because he could easily play that slot role with his skills. I think it's one of those two whose needle will move the most 

SameSongNDance said:
Too bad he's injured and couldn't go tonight. Rex would make sense, he looked much better catching passes than he did running the ball at least.

Edelman was a safety valve so when he went down my initial thought was bump Gronk, bump the pass catching backs, bump Amendola.
Any idea why Rex was out the last few days?  Not hearing why anywhere.

Amendola may have had trouble finding a roster spot before Edelman got hurt.

Does he play special teams?

I think your first thought is dead on.  Allen because of the history of the patriots employing two TEs successfully and Lewis because he could easily play that slot role with his skills. I think it's one of those two whose needle will move the most 
As of a few weeks ago, the plan for Lewis was said to limit him to 15-20 snaps a game to keep him healthy and fresh. And Allen has been quoted this week as saying how complicated the play book is and how difficult it is to know what to do on each play. That would give me pause to wonder how much they will be involved.

Mavis said:
I have a feeling because NEP dont historically show their tricks with their studs in preseason games, they think Cooks wont be a stud. 

Cooks is a Top flight WR1 now. 
On Hogan's long TD catch yesterday, Cooks was on the other side. Cooks did a double move and just torched the corner. Cooks had 5 yards of separation streaking downfield. 

it is either Gronk or Cooks. Gronk, in my view, will be the #1 option for Brady in most opportunities but Cooks will be the #1 wideout for sure. Amendola and Hogan get huge boosts now but no where near being #1 options. 

There are 159 targets now up for distribution. It helps them all. 

Brady to Cooks was unstoppable during practices,there was never a doubt before and after this injury. Cooks should be a top 5 PPR receiver this season. He is going to be open all season long if Gronk and Lewis are on the field. This is a nightmare matchup, if Lewis as he says, is feeling better than he has in 2 seasons. 

As of a few weeks ago, the plan for Lewis was said to limit him to 15-20 snaps a game to keep him healthy and fresh. And Allen has been quoted this week as saying how complicated the play book is and how difficult it is to know what to do on each play. That would give me pause to wonder how much they will be involved.
True but the injury changes things. It's like saying the plan was for Zeke to be the workhorse for the cowboys. Non availability changes things.  

Also, just saw is today fwiw

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe expects James White, Dion Lewis and Dwayne Allen to see an "uptick" in targets with Julian Edelman (knee) out for the season.

Edelman has been a fixture in the Patriots' short passing game for the better part of a decade and Volin doesn't see Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola as obvious candidates to replace him in the slot. Instead, Volin expects the Patriots to adjust their scheme while creating more looks for pass-catching backs White and Lewis as well as Allen, who replaces Martellus Bennett as the No. 2 tight end behind Rob Gronkowski. White finished third among running backs in both receiving yards and catches last year and is coming off the game of his life in Super Bowl LI. His arrow is pointing up in PPR leagues.

Related: Dion Lewis, Dwayne Allen

Source: Boston Globe 

Aug 27 - 9:36 AM

Because no one should mention #80 as the Pats #1 WR. Amendola goes from rarely getting on the field to getting some snaps now in multi receiver sets. Hogan goes from playing in 3 receiver sets to probably not coming off the field much. If Mitchell were healthy, I would bump him too. The issue for Amendola is that the Pats have been trying their RB's lining up in the slot. Amendola is still after Cooks, Hogan, and Mitchell on the depth chart on a team that has the best TE and uses their RB's a ton. And there is also Carr to consider, who has looked really good in camp. Amendola has more value than two days ago, but I would not say his value has skyrocketed.
Amendola's value hasn't gone up much because everybody's sleeping on him. He'll be the biggest beneficiary of Edelman's injury. Plug and play for the Pats. Amendola is the new Edelman, who was the new Welker, the guy who gets 140 targets with 9-11 ypc. 

Hogan is a totally different receiver. His role stays the same. IMO, his value hasn't changed much. 

Mitchell is not healthy enough to even be in this conversation.   Tom has confidence in Danny.  He had a pretty good Super Bowl too if so remember right.

Amendola's value hasn't gone up much because everybody's sleeping on him. He'll be the biggest beneficiary of Edelman's injury. Plug and play for the Pats. Amendola is the new Edelman, who was the new Welker, the guy who gets 140 targets with 9-11 ypc. 

Hogan is a totally different receiver. His role stays the same. IMO, his value hasn't changed much. 
Except the people that cover the team are saying Cooks and Hogan will be the Wr1 and Wr2 with Hogan playing 70% or more of the snaps. Amendola will see more snaps than before, but DA is not going to take Edelman's workload  

Except the people that cover the team are saying Cooks and Hogan will be the Wr1 and Wr2 with Hogan playing 70% or more of the snaps. Amendola will see more snaps than before, but DA is not going to take Edelman's workload  
I'm not trying to say their opinions are completely worthless, but it's not like they have any insider information on the most tight lipped organization in sports. They are speculating as are we. 

I like that nobody mentions #80.

He was CLEARLY the #1 before leaving the game.

He was CLEARLY the #1 before leaving the game.
I heard part of a discussion today that Brady was frustrated that guys weren't running the routes as Brady was expecting them to be run last night, which is part of the reason he was either hanging on to the ball for so long or misfiring on occasion. Amendola certainly had a nice game before he got hurt, but I don't foresee Amendola as the season long solution (and neither does NE as they have already said they want to limit his snaps to keep him upright). As far as last night goes, we all know the Pats have all new game plans from week to week, so DA's role will likely vary week to week when he comes back.

I think we'll see a lot more of Cooks going forward. Granted he only caught 3 balls last night but he was targeted the same number of times as Amendola and also drew some pass interference penalties.

I heard part of a discussion today that Brady was frustrated that guys weren't running the routes as Brady was expecting them to be run last night, which is part of the reason he was either hanging on to the ball for so long or misfiring on occasion. Amendola certainly had a nice game before he got hurt, but I don't foresee Amendola as the season long solution (and neither does NE as they have already said they want to limit his snaps to keep him upright). As far as last night goes, we all know the Pats have all new game plans from week to week, so DA's role will likely vary week to week when he comes back.
2 things:

1. The Pats can say all they want about limiting Amendola's snaps, but as long as the other receivers fail like last night, they won't be able to do it. They'll be forced to play him. They had nobody other than DA to get open on in the middle and on the quick underneath patterns. Everybody else is a down field threat. 

2. Everybody's role will change week to week. That's what the Patriots do. 

Users who are viewing this thread