What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I just made you King of the USA for a day and you get to make 3 laws - what would they be ? (1 Viewer)

Stealthycat

Footballguy
My kid asked me that recently. Only rules really were that the laws would apply only to United States, and once you as King of the USA signed them, they'd not be reversed.

What would you do? Impacting the USA, its residents, think of the good of mankind, Earth etc.

Me?

1. I'd ban abortion. Killing unborn babies is unacceptable and I'd make the only exception as the rare case that a mothers life is in dangerrarely used.

2. I'd ban gas automobiles by 2025. Phase 'em out, there is not really a need for them now with electric being as good as it is. 

3.  I'm not sure ...... health care of some kind? forcing our Govt to be fiscally responsible ? I want to hold my 3rd to see what ya'll come up with 

I can't think of 3, but the biggest one for me would be to legalize all drugs.  The war on drugs is a total failure no matter how you look at it and it creates other societal problems as well such as gang violence.  Drug users should not be treated as criminals either.  Just think of what police departments could do if they weren't focused on busting high schoolers for carrying joints.

since you asked stealthcat to be frank i would do a lot of stuff but six of the biggies would be ending corporate personhood and with it citizens united because you know what f that you want to be involved in politics show your damned face two i would term limit the hell out of everything and i mean everything from reps to lobbyists you want to be in government do it because you want to be a good citizen not as a job three i would move our country like last week toward clean renewable energy and make america the face of that and invest early and heavily in to that sector so that we own that entire industry for the next fifty years globally and it have it drive our economy as we wean ourself from oil dependence four i would set up a free healthcare system single payer for all americans and people here otherwise and i would jump hard at controlling healthcare and drug costs five limit overseas spending and control our costs and six implement serious reform elminating waste and pork in our systems to save money i could go on or you could just go read the progressive bull moose platform take that to the bank brohans 

^

I'm working on 2 and 3, but 1 would be~

Require all discussion forums to upgrade their software so that the Cuss Word Filter would also function as the Grammar, Punctuation and Spell Check cop.

I don't think passing laws is the answer. I might want to repeal some existing legislation though.

1. See above

2. People that don't return their shopping carts to the corral get a kick in the ####.

3. People that talk on speaker-phone or play music through their phone in public get a kick in the ####.

4. A 10 year moratorium on studios releasing any super hero/comic book movies.

5. Teachers are allowed to carry and use blow dart guns loaded with Ritalin-laced darts.  

Legalize weed.

Online poker.

Traffic cameras on highways to send people who use the passing lane as a travel lane to prison for life.

1.  Drug legalization.

2.  Serious tax and welfare state overhaul.  This would include a guaranteed income of some sort, a carbon tax, and a large shift toward consumption-based taxation.

3.  LHUCKS is unbanned for one day only so we can mock him in the "Get Your Money Out of the Market" thread.  The manifesto will be suspended for that day. 

1. Automatic voter registration

2. Make election day a national holiday with mandatory 2x pay and 8 hour maximum workday for anyone who works.

3. Mandate expanded voting hours/polling places.

Not only is it the right thing to do, it's also the shortcut to eventually passing a lot more than just three laws I like.

This could serve as a proxy for an actual common ground thread. Good one @Stealthycat. I don't agree with your #1 though. But your #2 looks pretty good.

1)  Forget legalize pot.  Smoking pot is mandatory.

2)  If you have more than 15 items and go through the express line at the grocery store, people have the right to punch you in the face

3)  Boobs in public

1. Napoleonic Code is instated throughout the USA, in French.

2. Art. 999: Hot Pants on hotchicks are mandatory, to be determined by a FBGs commision utilizing upvote/downvote.

3. The NO Saints will play all games at home, on Sunday nights, on national tv, always.

Last edited by a moderator:
You made who King?  Well, I didn't vote for them.

Listen. Stealthycats lying in subforums distributing likes is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical messageboard ceremony.

1. Place a .50 cent tax on all items in the grocery store or sold at restaurants with chemical ingredients. Use the money to pay for free healthcare for all. 

2. Invoke a space program type program to get America completely off carbon based fuels within ten years. Price no object; spend trillions if we have to, first priority. 

3. Open immigration to whoever wants to come unless they are a public health risk, terrorist, or convicted felon. IMMEDIATELY accept all refugees the world round that don't fall into the above 3 categories, and pay for their transport here if necessary. 

Anyone who said anything about term limits: if we hadn't imposed them on the presidency Barack Obama would be president right now.  Let that one knock around a bit before you decide we should tell people they can't vote for someone they like. 

To me, we need to reinforce the very basis of our democracy... if we can solidify democracy, the right to vote and afford proper representation, I do believe most of the rest will work itself out - because we will have representative governance that derives its power from the people - not corporations, not interests, not the Party.  Because it's representative and encourages more democratic participation, the natural check on gov't run amock (be it executive overreach, corruption or just pandering to interests and self preservation) is the electorate itself. 

1.Election Reform - Get rid of gerrymandering, and instead to to a simple, geometric calculation that utilizes geometries and populations to create appropriate and representative districts and provide safe, uniform and overarchingly simple to use voting practices to enable as many people who want to vote, to do so. Find ways for MORE to vote, rather than ways to exclude.

2. Campaign finance/structure reform - would need to work on the details, but (1) Corporations are not "people" and more importantly (2) must be transparency. I "get" the arguement that dollars are an extension of speech to a degree, but like anything, this power may need to be checked/regulated to provide some balance (while that strikes against my desired instinct, we've seen the outcome of what happens without it) and, more importantly, even if too much big money is in the game, it needs to be clear where that money came from. Also, put into place mechanisms that don't reinforce the two party oligarchy, to allow additional ideas and perspectives into the political arena. It's not a zero sum game in real life, nor should it be, politically. 

3. Tax reform - simplify it, provide reason and rational for entrepreneurial endeavors but also encourage dollars to flow back into the system. Individual rates at the highest levels need to be adjusted up significantly, loopholes need to be eliminated (hell, find the right system where you don't have any deductions), tax churches and other such institutions unless they exist ONLY for charitable reasons and show that their main mission is to do good for others (at least so they can't be used as they are today, as basically tax sheilds for huge corporate endeavors that attribute wealth to a very few individuals all int he name of "charity" and "faith"); increase the estate taxes... why is it the next generation is "owed" the huge vast wealth accumulated prior? Doesn't have to be overbearing, but needs to be a lot greater than it is today, lest the playing field will never be even close to equal, and any discussion of true equality and access is rendered moot. There need be some reset, before things get so oligarchic the only eventual check on power will be a true revolt (not talking Riversco civil war, this is way down in the future, but unless we enable some flow of capital to all levels of our economy, things are eventually going to get ugly, and deservedly so - history has proven that when economic balance gets too far out of whack, they always do)

Tell me how you eat nonbaryonic matter, Feynman.
All right, I think some of you are being deliberately confused here. So let make it more simple. All food that isn't in the fruits, vegetables, or protein departments gets a .50 cent tax. There could be exceptions but the goal is to tax unhealthy food and try and force better eating habits. Just as we've done with cigarettes. 

All right, I think some of you are being deliberately confused here. So let make it more simple. All food that isn't in the fruits, vegetables, or protein departments gets a .50 cent tax. There could be exceptions but the goal is to tax unhealthy food and try and force better eating habits. Just as we've done with cigarettes. 
If you tax cheese, I will cut you

1. Free health care for all

2. Free college for all

3. Term limits on all politicians 

Nothing stimulates an economy more then a healthy and educated populous. No more Nancy Pelosi's or Mitch McConnell's.

1. Kick the low hanging fruit states out of the Union. If all you're doing is leeching stuff from the other states and/or voting #######s into public office, you're out. 

2. Rename "American Cheese" to "####### Disgusting Cheese". America's good name has been tarnished long enough by that garbage passed off as cheese. 

3. Churches pay taxes like everyone else. 

Stealthycat said:
interesting on the education thing ........ who would pay for all that ? just curious ...
You mean the extra 4-5 years more than they pay for today?  We can take some money out of military spending without any significant impact to military budget.  Buy two less F35s a year.

1.  Abortion ban

2.  Repeal of the Great Society

3.  Repeal of the New Deal

Of course 2 and 3 may count as more than one thing each.

Yankee23Fan said:
The Commish said:
1.  Extend "paid for" public education from pre-K through college.

2.  Move to a consumption tax model.

3.  Basic healthcare for all.
Our wording might be different, but I have to be honest, I think I'd have roughly the same list.
I'm good with a "fair tax" approach as well.  We are so driven by consumption though it would make the most money the fastest IMO.  I flip flopped between the tax thing and term limits.  In the end, I don't really trust the electorate as a whole to do the right thing no matter how often we give them the opportunity so I went with taxes.  

1) I would dissolve the Monarchy and instill a Republic as our form of government.

2) Crap I guess there wouldn't be a 2 or 3 at that point since I'd no longer be king.  I should have planned ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread