What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 WR (and TE) Lotto Ticket Rankings (1 Viewer)

daylight

Footballguy
Last year we had a thread that folks seemed to find valuable so I am starting a 2017 version - it's a living, ongoing list of potential King Makers - the idea is to be PREEMPTIVE on WRs (or TEs) most likely sitting on the Waiver Wire (depending upon league size, sharks or guppies, etc.).  Last year's thread is here.

Remember 2014 when Odell Beckham as a rookie returned from injury in week 5 and tore through the league and changing some owners season into a championship?

What possible Season Changing / Champion Maker (Lotto Ticket) WR's/TE's are out there on waivers (or possibly a buy low)?  

WR's/TE's who could put up Top 3/5 WR numbers.  We are talking PREEMPTIVE and generally re-draft.

To paraphrase @TZMarkie : "This is for re-draft and we are looking for the ones with the best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload. That combination would likely give the average owner the best chance at hitting the "lottery ticket WR" that could change an owners season."

Examples of previous Season Changing / Champion Maker WR’s:

• 2014 Odell Beckham
  • 2015 Doug Baldwin
  • 2014 Brandon Lafell 
Please note that this list is being updated every week on subsequent pages - what follows is the state of the list pre-week-1.

Candidates for Season Changing / Champion Maker WR’s (or TEs) for re-draft 2017 going forward - Here is my Pre-Week-1 list, VERY loosely ranked:

• NO T Ginn? - Replaces Cooks + Snead is suspended the 1st 3 games
  • ATL T Gabriel? - He went un-drafted in both my leagues this year but last year was 9th from week 8 onward
  • CLE C Coleman? - Rookie QB Kizer seemed to lock on to him in preseason
  • CHI K White? - I know about Fox, CHI's QB situation and White's general absence on the field but...
  • WAS TE V Davis? - If Reed goes down he could be Top Five
  • PIT TE - V McDonald? Ben loves to throw to TEs
  • SF P Garcon? - did well with Shanny in WAS a little while back
  • ARZ JJ Nelson?
  • BUF Z Jones (Rookie)?
  • LAC Cooper Kupp (Rookie)?
  • BAL TE Crockett Gillmore?
  • BAL Breshad Perriman?
  • KCC Chris Conley?
  • SEA Paul Richarson - Waldman loves him
  • LAC Mike Williams - suggested by @koreansteve : "take a shot on a highly regarded rookie and pray a lot"
  • SEA Tyler Lockett - suggested by @koreansteve : top 25 WR potential if things go right 
  • CHI Kendall Wright - suggested by @koreansteve : top 25 WR potential if things go right 
  • NE D Amendola - suggested by @koreansteve : top 25 WR potential if things go right 
  • WAS J Doctson - suggested by @koreansteve : top 25 WR potential if things go right 
  • CLE Josh Gordon - suggested by @timbrah_ho
Honorable Mention - guys who don't quite have the "the best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload" going for them:

• GB J Janis - has all the measurables but way too many bodies in front of him...
  • DET M Jones - may never see the volume needed b/c of Tate
  • CHI Markus Wheaton - suggested by @cloppbeast
  • TEN Corey Davis - suggested by @sped1103 : clearly has the talent and should have the opportunity once his hammy heals up. I like his chances to leapfrog to #1 and post strong numbers for the back 3/4 of the season.
  • BUF Zay Jones - suggested by @GoBirds
  • NO Brandon Coleman - suggested by @ldizzle
  • CAR K Funchess - suggested by @Bojang0301
  • NYG Sterling Shepard - suggested by @Sarlakticacid saying: Odell and Marshal hurting. Rumors that marshal is struggling to pick up offense. Him n Eli have a decent connection from last year and there was a great pass/catch in a ps game
Too Late due to breakout already occurring or injured:

• CHI Cam Meredith
References:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Williams - Chargers

:quote:

Chargers activated first-round WR Mike Williams (back) from the PUP.

Williams is not going to play in the season opener, but the move means the Chargers believe the No. 7 overall pick will be ready before Week 7. Even when he gets back on the field, it is difficult to imagine Williams having a big role after missing all of the offseason program and training camp. He does not need to be drafted in standard-sized redraft leagues. Per Chargers beat writer Jack Wang, the team's "hope" is Williams will play in "Week 4 or Week 5." Sep 2 - 2:47 PM

:quote:

Tyler Lockett

Kendall Wright

Amendola

Doctson

...those 4 guys have top 25 WR potential if things go right for them. Mike Williams is more of a "take a shot on a highly regarded rookie and pray a lot" player to me. 

Tyler Lockett

Kendall Wright

Amendola

Doctson

...those 4 guys have top 25 WR potential if things go right for them. Mike Williams is more of a "take a shot on a highly regarded rookie and pray a lot" player to me. 
Added these 5 to the Honorable Mentions

A lot of people are high on Kendall Wright and on Kevin White because somebody has to catch passes in Chicago. But Markus Wheaton has about the same shot or better but goes un-drafted in every league. And, if it means anything, the Bears pay Wheaton more than the other two. 

Corey Davis clearly has the talent and should have the opportunity once his hammy heals up. I like his chances to leapfrog to #1 and post strong numbers for the back 3/4 of the season.

Thinking about Zay Jones as a late round stash and potential keeper for next year if he works out like Michael Thomas did for me this year. 

A guy I'm keeping an eye on (deep deep sleeper) is NO WR Brandon Coleman. He's 6'6" and is in his 4th year. He had rave reviews in training camp and added 10 lbs of muscle in the offseason. 

With Snead suspended for 3 games, it will be interesting to see who fills that spot in 3 WR sets. NO hasn't updated their depth chart yet. 

cloppbeast said:
A lot of people are high on Kendall Wright and on Kevin White because somebody has to catch passes in Chicago. But Markus Wheaton has about the same shot or better but goes un-drafted in every league. And, if it means anything, the Bears pay Wheaton more than the other two. 
Added Markus Wheaton.

sped1103 said:
Corey Davis clearly has the talent and should have the opportunity once his hammy heals up. I like his chances to leapfrog to #1 and post strong numbers for the back 3/4 of the season.
Added Cory Davis

GoBirds said:
Thinking about Zay Jones as a late round stash and potential keeper for next year if he works out like Michael Thomas did for me this year. 
Added Zay Jones

ldizzle said:
A guy I'm keeping an eye on (deep deep sleeper) is NO WR Brandon Coleman. He's 6'6" and is in his 4th year. He had rave reviews in training camp and added 10 lbs of muscle in the offseason. 

With Snead suspended for 3 games, it will be interesting to see who fills that spot in 3 WR sets. NO hasn't updated their depth chart yet. 
Added Brandon Coleman

My favorite is Zay Jones. We know who Matthews is, can't stay healthy and isn't good. Someone will have to catch passes and he is their best bet.

Josh Gordon (don't laugh). Rumors he's coming off suspension in a month and he's in shape. Dude almost won me my FF league a few years back and will cost you nothing right now 

Have to go with Kendall Wright, Paul Richardson, Corey Coleman and ASJ. You look at athleticism and target share for those 4 and it's the perfect storm you're looking for.

Devin Funchess is another guy who should have a decent target share. I think he has a higher floor but his ceiling would probably be more WR 2/3.

ldizzle said:

I've been on his wagon the past two year, but I am off now, man.

Anyone think John Ross could be something? 

Took him in the last round. 

I actually like the other rookie Bengal receiver better. Go Malone!
So many pass catchers with talent in CIN - even if *all* of them "step aside" due to injury or ineffectiveness would either of these guys have "the best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload"?

Sterling Shepard - Odell and Marshal hurting. Rumors that marshal is struggling to pick up offense. Him n Eli have a decent connection from last year and there was a great pass/catch in a ps game

:blackdot:  Fantastic threads, glad to see these making their return for 2017.

There should be at least one PHI receiver on this list; Wentz has second-year breakout potential, the run game is loaded with question marks, and Jeffery has missed 4+ games in three of his 5 seasons.

My vote would be Mack Hollins - partially because of his size/speed combination but mainly because I don't trust either Torrey or Agholor.

Well, the Patriots just picked up Phillip Dorsett right?  With Cooks getting #1 coverage and Edelman gone for the season, maybe Dorsett gets a bunch of open looks down the field if he can pick up the offense quickly enough.

Also, is there enough skepticism on John Brown's health to add him to this list?  If he is healthy and plays up to potential he is the best receiver in PHX, and could explode.

Picked up Paul Richardson late in my draft. Tons of talent and just as explosive as Lockett, current #2 WR. Just has to avoid the injury bug.

Sterling Shepard - Odell and Marshal hurting. Rumors that marshal is struggling to pick up offense. Him n Eli have a decent connection from last year and there was a great pass/catch in a ps game
Can someone point me to an article that says BMarsh has struggled to pick up the offense? I keep hearing this rumor but have yet to see who has said this

Daylight, good work, thanks for setting this up.

My call is Travis Benjamin with the Chargers.  Keenan Allen isn't the paragon health, and TB has had a year to acclimate himself on the offense.  Gonna take a big injury to spring him, but he's got as much speedy big play potential as anyone in the league.

Can someone point me to an article that says BMarsh has struggled to pick up the offense? I keep hearing this rumor but have yet to see who has said this
I have been racking my brain trying to remember where I heard this. It was definitely on a podcast but cannot recall which one 

I have been racking my brain trying to remember where I heard this. It was definitely on a podcast but cannot recall which one 
I think it's something you confused with another player. or just made up your own analysis......I follow the Giants,and heard nothing close to what you are saying. Marshall will be a solid WR 2 most of this year,He hasn't played  with a decent QB in a few years. I see 10 TD's and close to 1,000 yards this year.

I think it's something you confused with another player. or just made up your own analysis......I follow the Giants,and heard nothing close to what you are saying. Marshall will be a solid WR 2 most of this year,He hasn't played  with a decent QB in a few years. I see 10 TD's and close to 1,000 yards this year.
Maybe something noted very early on?  http://giantswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/07/new-york-giants-brandon-marshall-eli-manning-facetime-offense/

cant find anything else about.

Yeah I've not heard anything since. Long Ball Larry is most likely closer to the source here. 

Not long till we find out now

Kevin White... if he can stay healthy this is his yr. 100 targets is my prediction 

I love the coleman suggestion... could be a huge steal 

surprised no one has mentioned marquis lee... granted he plays for the Jags but he's across from Allen Robinson and he gets return yardage...

Didn't watch all the game but he did look lost at times this week not knowing where to line up and such. In saying that the whole offense was not so good 

Add in Nelson Agholor.  Big week 1, looked good, 1st round pedigree, 3rd year player ready to breakout.  Always was a big fan of his bought him everywhere I could a year ago and might be paying off this year.

Just to add some other lotto picks,

-Kenny Golladay 46% owned could be next Calvin Johnson(5-10% chance) is someone I could take a chance on. 

-Allen Hurns also has a chance for the WR1 target after Marquise Lee and he is also cheaper.

-Jermaine Kearse for deeper leagues a WR1 on an albeit terrible team. but on the brightside they should always be passing :)

-Any/All Bears WRs(not as helpful)- maybe Bellamy, Thompson why the hell not, I expect the bears wideouts to be all jumbled together until we see someone step up it could be anyone. Who will be the starters?!

A bump with some Post-Week-1 updates.

Last year we had a thread that folks seemed to find valuable so I am starting a 2017 version - it's a living, ongoing list of potential King Makers - the idea is to be PREEMPTIVE on WRs (or TEs) most likely sitting on the Waiver Wire (depending upon league size, sharks or guppies, etc.).  Last year's thread is here.

Remember 2014 when Odell Beckham as a rookie returned from injury in week 5 and tore through the league and changing some owners season into a championship?

What possible Season Changing / Champion Maker (Lotto Ticket) WR's/TE's are out there on waivers (or possibly a buy low)?  

WR's/TE's who could put up Top 3/5 WR numbers.  We are talking PREEMPTIVE and generally re-draft.

To paraphrase @TZMarkie : "This is for re-draft and we are looking for the ones with the best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload. That combination would likely give the average owner the best chance at hitting the "lottery ticket WR" that could change an owners season."

Examples of previous Season Changing / Champion Maker WR’s:

• 2014 Odell Beckham
  • 2015 Doug Baldwin
  • 2014 Brandon Lafell 
Please note that this list is being updated every week on subsequent pages - what follows is the state of the list pre-week-1.

Candidates for Season Changing / Champion Maker WR’s (or TEs) for re-draft 2017 going forward - Here is my Pre-Week-1 list, VERY loosely ranked:

• NO T Ginn? - Replaces Cooks + Snead is suspended the 1st 3 games
  • ATL T Gabriel? - He went un-drafted in both my leagues this year but last year was 9th from week 8 onward
  • CLE C Coleman? - Rookie QB Kizer seemed to lock on to him in preseason
  • CHI K White? - I know about Fox, CHI's QB situation and White's general absence on the field but...
  • WAS TE V Davis? - If Reed goes down he could be Top Five
  • PIT TE - V McDonald? Ben loves to throw to TEs
  • SF P Garcon? - did well with Shanny in WAS a little while back
  • ARZ JJ Nelson?
  • BUF Z Jones (Rookie)?
  • LAC Cooper Kupp (Rookie)?
  • BAL TE Crockett Gillmore?
  • BAL Breshad Perriman?
  • KCC Chris Conley?
  • LAC Mike Williams - suggested by @koreansteve : "take a shot on a highly regarded rookie and pray a lot"
  • SEA Tyler Lockett - suggested by @koreansteve : top 25 WR potential if things go right 
  • SEA Paul Richarson - Waldman loves him
  • CHI Kendall Wright - suggested by @koreansteve : top 25 WR potential if things go right 
  • NE D Amendola - suggested by @koreansteve : top 25 WR potential if things go right 
  • WAS J Doctson - suggested by @koreansteve : top 25 WR potential if things go right 
  • CLE Josh Gordon - suggested by @timbrah_ho - Very interesting opinions offered by @Saboo on Page 389 of Waldman's Josh Gordan Thread
Honorable Mention - guys who don't quite have the "the best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload" going for them:

• GB J Janis - has all the measurables but way too many bodies in front of him...
  • DET M Jones - may never see the volume needed b/c of Tate
  • CHI Markus Wheaton - suggested by @cloppbeast
  • TEN Corey Davis - suggested by @sped1103 : clearly has the talent and should have the opportunity once his hammy heals up. I like his chances to leapfrog to #1 and post strong numbers for the back 3/4 of the season.
  • BUF Zay Jones - suggested by @GoBirds
  • NO Brandon Coleman - suggested by @ldizzle
  • CAR K Funchess - suggested by @Bojang0301
  • NYG Sterling Shepard - suggested by @Sarlakticacid saying: Odell and Marshal hurting. Rumors that marshal is struggling to pick up offense. Him n Eli have a decent connection from last year and there was a great pass/catch in a ps game
  • JAC Dede Westbrook - suggested by @King of the Jungle
  • NYG Sterling Shepard - suggested by @Sarlakticacid saying:  Odell and Marshal hurting. Rumors that marshal is struggling to pick up offense. Him n Eli have a decent connection from last year and there was a great pass/catch in a ps game
  • PHI suggested by @Mr. Irrelevant saying There should be at least one PHI receiver on this list; Wentz has second-year breakout potential, the run game is loaded with question marks, and Jeffery has missed 4+ games in three of his 5 seasons. My vote would be Mack Hollins - partially because of his size/speed combination but mainly because I don't trust either Torrey or Agholor. per @Zyphros Nelson Agholor Big week 1, looked good, 1st round pedigree, 3rd year player ready to breakout.  Always was a big fan of his bought him everywhere I could a year ago and might be paying off this year.
  • NE P Dorsett - suggested by @superbigpimping420Well, the Patriots just picked up Phillip Dorsett right?  With Cooks getting #1 coverage and Edelman gone for the season, maybe Dorsett gets a bunch of open looks down the field if he can pick up the offense quickly enough.
  • LAC Travis Benjamin - suggested by @Statorama   Keenan Allen isn't the paragon health, and TB has had a year to acclimate himself on the offense.  Gonna take a big injury to spring him, but he's got as much speedy big play potential as anyone in the league.
  • DET Kenny Golladay - suggested by @Hartliner saying 46% owned could be next Calvin Johnson(5-10% chance) is someone I could take a chance on.
  • JAC Allen Hurns - suggested by @Hartliner saying also has a chance for the WR1 target after Marquise Lee and he is also cheaper.
  • NYJ Jermaine Kearse - suggested by @Hartliner saying for deeper leagues a WR1 on an albeit terrible team. but on the brightside they should always be passing
  • CHI (who?) - suggested by @Hartliner saying Any/All Bears WRs(not as helpful)- maybe Bellamy, Thompson why the hell not, I expect the bears wideouts to be all jumbled together until we see someone step up it could be anyone. Who will be the starters?!
  • John Ross
Too Late due to breakout already occurring or injured:

• CHI Cam Meredith
References:

Users who are viewing this thread