What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bartender Shift Switch (1 Viewer)

otb_lifer

Footballguy
didja ever?

e.g. - at a bar, came in and ordered an Old Fashioned - chick was virtually clueless, had to consult the instructions, didn't even #######' muddle - but that #### was potent as all hell, a veritable 'potent potable' for you Jeopardy nerdz (Art Fleming - FTW!)

OK, so shifts changed at 4 p.m., and the 'mixologist' comes on board.  ordered one from this ironically facial haired hipster - and, sure as ####, he muddled, and the freakin' drink tastes like Hawaiian punch with a Jim Beam kicker. 

plz discuss 

Last edited by a moderator:
so wait.. did you like the poorly mixed but heavily alcohol'd drink?   or the muddled but light on booze drink?  And how how was the chick?

so wait.. did you like the poorly mixed but heavily alcohol'd drink?   or the muddled but light on booze drink?  And how how was the chick?
loved the 'clueless' drink - i be here to get a buzz, and two of those were ridiculously high on the Beam count.

Mixologist dropped the ball - i'm not as precious as his regular shims, apparently.  

I must have been passed out when an Old Fashioned became a trendy drink again. 

My Uncle Tommy made a mean one in his basement bar; every $15 one I've had in SF has been a poor approximation replete with one gigantic ice cube.

they have literally never stopped being a thing in wisconsinland i am pretty sure it is the state drink and if it isnt then it is second only to blatz take that to the bank brobeeros

they have literally never stopped being a thing in wisconsinland i am pretty sure it is the state drink and if it isnt then it is second only to blatz take that to the bank brobeeros
My Uncle Tommy lived in Brown Deer.  He didn't make them with Brandy though.

My Uncle Tommy made a mean one in his basement bar; every $15 one I've had in SF has been a poor approximation replete with one gigantic ice cube.
An old fashioned or a Manhattan are my go to cocktail of choice

My Uncle Tommy lived in Brown Deer.  He didn't make them with Brandy though.
I think in most places in Wisconsin they'll assume brandy if you don't specify.  I always ask for rye and tell them to hold the cherry.  That sugar-syrup in the cherry jar ruins the drink.

I've never muddled anything and couldn't care less about that. Use good booze and bitters, the fruit is a sideshow.

I blame the bourbon craze. 

Agreed it's generally speaking, very expensive. Best one I've had was in NOLA at Luke... made with Thomas H Handy Barrel Proof Rye. That was a proper drink and well worth the $20 or so I paid for it IMO. 

An old fashioned or a Manhattan are my go to cocktail of choice
I like a Manhattan.

But it's hard to beat a mojito in the summer in my book..   mmmm.. rum.

I have a buddy that always orders Old Fashioneds...  sometimes at mediocre places or dives.. and then is pissed they aren't made to his mixology standards.. .meanwhile I enjoy my draft beer, poured the same almost every time

I think in most places in Wisconsin they'll assume brandy if you don't specify.  I always ask for rye and tell them to hold the cherry.  That sugar-syrup in the cherry jar ruins the drink.

I've never muddled anything and couldn't care less about that. Use good booze and bitters, the fruit is a sideshow.
Luxardo Cherry helps... not as candy sweet as a standard maraschino. 

I'm with you on the muddling. I only do it if I'm using a sugar cube instead of simple syrup... then a few dashes of bitters on the cube, muddle to break it down.. then drop fruit (if desired) booze and rock or two...quick stir and go.

If going with the orange thang... I prefer to run the twist around the rim vs mashing it... adds a touch of the oil flavor without overpowering the drink. 

I like a Manhattan.

But it's hard to beat a mojito in the summer in my book..   mmmm.. rum.

I have a buddy that always orders Old Fashioneds...  sometimes at mediocre places or dives.. and then is pissed they aren't made to his mixology standards.. .meanwhile I enjoy my draft beer, poured the same almost every time
Yep. Don't go to TGI Friday's and get mad because the steak didn't blow your mind. Don't expect a major league cocktail from a minor league bartender.

If I'm in the mood for one, I'll generally scout the bourbon/rye selection first. If the best they have is Makers or Bulleit Rye, I'll usually assume the skills match the selection and not bother. If the selection is good, I'll usually ask the tender "how'd your old fashioned". Some will admit it's okay. Some will just smile like the devil and you know you're generally in for a treat. I imagine the same rule applies for any cocktail. 

I always tell bartenders to hold the garnish.  Maraschino cherries are pretty biologically inert but those lemon twists and lime wedges have been sitting there since before opening.  More importantly, they displace alcohol.

Don't get me started on Mojitos

You're a sideshow.

went to look at a potential flag plant storefront for one of closest my associates  - full on #### faced from the dingbatz version of the aforementioned cocktail.  

think we signed off  :shrug:

oh, and @Dentist, let's just say she was far from a 'looker' - easy to see why she was on the day shift.  but, pleasant enough kid - just not my cup o'tea

going rate here in the City is vicinity of $20 - yeah, and for that kinda coin, i want a show.   pleased to say that the great majority of those 20 escarole pops are strong as ####.   

the cherries are never maraschino, and the fruit is usually pulled from storage, not the bar - when i'm in the mood, it is most definitely worth the stretch. 

my gf has never had a drink in her life, and is not about to start   :( , but that hasn't stopped me from treating a few lasses to some every now and then. 

sXe is the work of Beelzebub. 

ty

Everyone thinks they are Don Draper these days.

I'm not a professional but I don't think an Old Fashioned or most other classic cocktails should be that complicated. 

They're classics for a reason.  You can gussy them up with artisinal bitters and fancy garnishes but neither are important as the right amount of good booze served at the proper temperature.

I blame the bourbon craze. 
####### bourbon craze.. The Costco bourbon was my goto mixer.. 103 proof, liter for 20 bucks.  Outstanding value.

Now they raised it 50 percent to 30 bucks.  Eff you.

Now I'd rather have an eagle rare fifth for 34

####### bourbon craze.. The Costco bourbon was my goto mixer.. 103 proof, liter for 20 bucks.  Outstanding value.

Now they raised it 50 percent to 30 bucks.  Eff you.

Now I'd rather have an eagle rare fifth for 34
Odds are they switched sources. They negotiate contract distillers for a "batch". IIRC it was dickel for a time. 

I'm not a professional but I don't think an Old Fashioned or most other classic cocktails should be that complicated. 

They're classics for a reason.  You can gussy them up with artisinal bitters and fancy garnishes but neither are important as the right amount of good booze served at the proper temperature.
I would agree 90% of it is starting with a solid Rye (preferably) or bourbon. 

The Old Fashioned has replaced the Vodka Gimlet as my drink of choice the past couple of years. And yeah, it needs to be muddled properly.

Odds are they switched sources. They negotiate contract distillers for a "batch". IIRC it was dickel for a time. 
Maybe, but the proof and taste were the same.  I bought one bottle at the new price because I didn't even realize the price had gone up until reviewing my bill

Maybe, but the proof and taste were the same.  I bought one bottle at the new price because I didn't even realize the price had gone up until reviewing my bill
Huh if taste was the same then it may have been a legit price increase but thats rare for Costco. IIRC they have fixed margins. Either way: eagle rare it is! Also check out Henry McKenna 10yr BIB at that price point. 

most of the cats up 'round here muddle a sugar cube with bitters for step one ... when you say 'put on a show', is that your preferred method?

:popcorn:
Yep. Otherwise a bit of simple syrup works (I make my own, very easy). I'm not big on artisianal bitters either. 

Yep. Otherwise a bit of simple syrup works (I make my own, very easy). I'm not big on artisianal bitters either. 

when i do attempt these at home (maybe twice a year), i use Hella Bitters - founded by some local kids who are trying to snazz the genre up a tad.  

they did some consult work setting up a drink menu for a client/associate of mine over in Bklyn - pretty sharp fellas, and a damn fine product.  

If you're muddling a sugar cube and bitters, alright, but you should not be muddling any fruit with it. Probably why the one in the OP tasted like hawaiin punch

Luxardo Cherry helps... not as candy sweet as a standard maraschino. 

I'm with you on the muddling. I only do it if I'm using a sugar cube instead of simple syrup... then a few dashes of bitters on the cube, muddle to break it down.. then drop fruit (if desired) booze and rock or two...quick stir and go.

If going with the orange thang... I prefer to run the twist around the rim vs mashing it... adds a touch of the oil flavor without overpowering the drink. 
all of this is correct

Users who are viewing this thread