What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is there a need for alcohol consumption that puts you over the legal limit to drive? (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
Seems we could save lives by asking people to submit to a breathalyzer before serving.

We should also limit sales to single beers or airplane sized bottles of hard alcohol. Sales should be tracked so someone can't just walk into 6 different stores in the hour. 

First offense DUI should carry a $250k fine and 10 years in jail. 

It is a nice idea, but you really want to ruin someone's life for a mistake on a 1st offense? I understand it can cost lives, so can a lot of things. Maybe permanently take someone's liscene if they are caught texting or speeding. If you injure a fellow co worker, you are permanently banned from that line of work. Ridiculous. 

We are all human and make mistakes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And for the record, I'm answering the question as it's asked - you don't say anything about actual driving which is of course a big no.

Here's a few tips:

1. The sole purpose of alcohol is not to then get behind the wheel and kill people

2. People who do drink and drive, don't  intend to kill themselves or someone else

When you can find an example of a mass shooting done on accident, we'll listen to your silly arguments with a straight face. Mmkay?

How about this.  

Stiffer penalties for driving drunk and causing harm / death, but no penalty for driving drunk otherwise (i.e. you get pulled over with a .081 BAC)

For your little comparison let's equate driving while having alcohol in your system to walking around with a loaded gun.  Perfectly acceptable as long as you're responsible and don't cause anybody any harm, right?

Here's a few tips:

1. The sole purpose of alcohol is not to then get behind the wheel and kill people

2. People who do drink and drive, don't  intend to kill themselves or someone else

When you can find an example of a mass shooting done on accident, we'll listen to your silly arguments with a straight face. Mmkay?
Not sure what you're point is. This thread is discussing whether or not alcohol consumption (in excess of the legal limit) is needed.

How about this.  

Stiffer penalties for driving drunk and causing harm / death, but no penalty for driving drunk otherwise (i.e. you get pulled over with a .081 BAC)

For your little comparison let's equate driving while having alcohol in your system to walking around with a loaded gun.  Perfectly acceptable as long as you're responsible and don't cause anybody any harm, right?
I think that's fair. But how do we know a person's intentions until it's too late?

Not sure what you're point is. This thread is discussing whether or not alcohol consumption (in excess of the legal limit) is needed.
I feel weird telling you this, but there is no legal limit on how much alcohol one can consume. 

You don't, but there's nothing you can do to stop it so why would you want to change any laws 
To save lives. We can't say for certain if someone is going to drive while drunk. So, I was just wondering if laws that limit a person's consumption, to keep them under the limit at all times, would be an effective way of preventing it. 

Do you think people would find illegal ways to acquire alcohol anyway? Maybe make prison wine in their toilets. 

I feel weird telling you this, but there is no legal limit on how much alcohol one can consume. 
Legal driving limit would need to be establishedby Federal govt. I'm only concerned about DUI related deaths. 

If someone drinks too much and falls into the river, that's just thinning the herd.

Seems we could save lives by asking people to submit to a breathalyzer before serving.

We should also limit sales to single beers or airplane sized bottles of hard alcohol. Sales should be tracked so someone can't just walk into 6 different stores in the hour. 

I don't own a car.

I don't own a car.
Then you would need to show a Federal issued document each time you purchased alcohol. Should you you be caught operating a motor vehicle  (rental car) without notifying Federal authorities you would be subject to the minimum fine.

Sure, I need to drink to excess because there are people like you in the world. It's what keeps me from buying an assault rifle and hunting you down.
Now that's not nice. We're just discussing a simple topic. A simple yes or no would have sufficed.

Then you would need to show a Federal issued document each time you purchased alcohol. Should you you be caught operating a motor vehicle  (rental car) without notifying Federal authorities you would be subject to the minimum fine.
I don't know wtf you are talking about.

To save lives. We can't say for certain if someone is going to drive while drunk. So, I was just wondering if laws that limit a person's consumption, to keep them under the limit at all times, would be an effective way of preventing it. 

Do you think people would find illegal ways to acquire alcohol anyway? Maybe make prison wine in their toilets. 
see 18th Amendment, The

It's one thing to be intellectually unsophisticated and morally hollow, but it's quite another to double down and announce it to as many people as possible. I genuinely pity you.

It's one thing to be intellectually unsophisticated and morally hollow, but it's quite another to double down and announce it to as many people as possible. I genuinely pity you.
Nothing to add on the topic? I was instructed to start a thread dedicated to this. I started one a couple of years back about DUI laws and you didn't have a problem with that one. 

You guys are a fickle bunch. Could someone send me a list each morning on what I should think and say. Obviously I'm not doing it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
You asked for opinions and you got them. You don't like the feedback because they don't agree with your morally bankrupt viewpoints.

if you're trying to legislate alcohol consumption at the Federal level, you can refer back to Prohibition to see how that works out for everyone. 
Thanks. So your saying it won't work.

Is that a yes or no on the question of whether or not we need alcohol?

Thanks. So your saying it won't work.

Is that a yes or no on the question of whether or not we need alcohol?
yes, we need alcohol. 

the industry as a whole provides billions of dollars in taxes combined to local, state, and federal entities, as well as employment for tens of thousands of individuals across multiple facets, including: production, transportation, marketing, retail/wholesale sales, farming, and ancillary industries. 

plus, it makes you feel good. 

Do cellphones really need unlimited data plans?  I mean how do we know people aren't texting and diving and trying to kill someone.   I think data should be doled out 1 MB at a time

I seriously have to ask if the OP was already drunk when he started this thread, or lead poison form doing his own reloads? 

Do you know how long you would be waiting for a subpar old fashioned if this happened?

Users who are viewing this thread