What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"EMP Could kill US Power Grid" - House Committee Report (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
First off... PLEASE keep politics OUT of this thread.

This Is NOT about blaming _________ for not doing _______. We have plenty of slap-fighting in the other forum. Take it there. I'd like to keep this thread on the topic of what the threat is, how viable it is, and what the potential results/fallout might be from such an attack.

On October 12 (last thursday) "DR. WILLIAM R. GRAHAM, CHAIRMAN DR. PETER VINCENT PRY, CHIEF OF STAFF" from the "COMMISSION TO ASSESS THE THREAT TO THE UNITED STATES FROM ELECTROMAGNETIC PULSE (EMP) ATTACK" gave a presentation to the US House Committee on Homeland Security. 

This is the report in full straight from the source (not Fox News or MSNBC) >

I'm going to attempt to summarize this report raw quotes  in an attempt walk you guys through the issue at hand.

For those looking for a TLDR summary: 

TLDR (based on my understanding from the report and other reading): 
• Russia had a SuperEMP program during the cold war that explored using satellite-deployed SuperEMP warheads to knock out the US Power Grid utilizing a south-pole route that bypasses our missile defense systems 
• Russia "accidentally" leaked nuke/ICBM plans to NK. Russian and Chinese Nuke scientists have been working in NK. 
• NK's Nuke/ICBM program has rapidly accelerated recently, possibly due to leaked plans and scientist assistance
• NK has shown SuperEMP capability with recent Hydrogen bomb test. 
• NK has shown some degree of ICBM capability
• NK has openly threatened the US with nuclear attack.
• NK has recently launched satellites capable of carrying SuperEMP payload that follow similar trajectory outlined in the Russian cold war plans. 
• NK reportedly went to great lengths to conceal the cargo of those satellites from visiting US Scientists. 
• EMP tests by the US and Russia have provided proof of concept behind EMP attacks having significant to devastating impact on electrical systems
• Modern equipment and systems are reportedly much more susceptible to EMP attack
• Modern power grids have recently been shown to be able to be brought down by single points of failure to significant effect. 
• EMP attack would likely introduce many points of failure and likely incapacitate the systems on a massive scale for extended periods. 
Evidence of NK's interest in, and possession of, a Super-EMP weapon: 

"[In Sept 2017] North Korea detonated an H-Bomb that it plausibly describes as capable of “super-powerful EMP” attack and released a technical report “The EMP Might of Nuclear Weapons” accurately describing what Russia and China call a “Super-EMP” weapon."
Notes on rapid advances of NK's Nuclear capability here:

--Just six months ago, most experts thought North Korea’s nuclear arsenal was primitive, some academics claiming it had as few as 6 A-Bombs. Now the intelligence community reportedly estimates North Korea has 60 nuclear weapons.

--Just six months ago, most experts thought North Korea’s ICBMs were fake, or if real could not strike the U.S. mainland. Now the intelligence community reportedly estimates North Korea’s ICBMs can strike Denver and Chicago, and perhaps the entire United States.

--Just six months ago, most experts thought North Korea was many years away from an HBomb. Now it appears North Korea has H-Bombs comparable to sophisticated U.S. two-stage thermonuclear weapons.

--Just six months ago, most experts claimed North Korean ICBMs could not miniaturize an ABomb or design a reentry vehicle for missile delivery. Now the intelligence community reportedly assesses North Korea has miniaturized nuclear weapons, and has developed reentry vehicles for missile delivery, including by ICBMs that can strike the U.S.
How has NK advanced their Nuke/EMP program far more rapidly than we expected? 

"In 2004, two Russian generals, both EMP experts, warned the EMP Commission that the design for Russia’s Super-EMP warhead, capable of generating high intensity EMP fields over 100,000 volts per meter, was “accidentally” transferred to North Korea. They also said that due to “brain drain,” Russian scientists were in North Korea, as were Chinese and Pakistani scientists according to the Russians, helping with the North’s missile and nuclear weapon programs. In 2009, South Korean military intelligence told their press that Russian scientists are in North Korea helping develop an EMP nuclear weapon. In 2013, a Chinese military commentator stated North Korea has Super-EMP nuclear weapons."

What is a Super EMP Weapon and what does it do? 

"Super-EMP weapons are low-yield and designed to produce not a big kinetic explosion, but rather a high level of gamma rays, which generates the high-frequency E1 EMP that is most damaging to the broadest range of electronics."

"EMP attack does not require an accurate guidance system because the area of effect, having a radius of hundreds or thousands of kilometers, is so large. No reentry vehicle is needed because the warhead is detonated at high altitude, above the atmosphere. Missile reliability matters little because only one missile has to work to make an EMP attack against an entire nation."
How could NK Deliver an EMP Weapon over US Soil? 
We know about their ICBM ambitions and rapid progress... but let's look at other options. 

"North Korea could make an EMP attack against the United States by launching a short-range missile off a freighter or submarine or by lofting a warhead to 30 kilometers burst height by balloon." 

"A Super-EMP weapon could be relatively small and lightweight, and could fit inside North Korea’s Kwangmyongsong-3 (KMS-3) and Kwangmyongsong-4 (KMS-4) satellites. These two satellites presently orbit over the United States, and over every other nation on Earth-- demonstrating, or posing, a potential EMP threat against the entire world."

A bit more info about the satellite threat:

North Korea’s KMS-3 and KMS-4 satellites were launched to the south on polar trajectories and passed over the United States on their first orbit. Pyongyang launched KMS-4 on February 7, 2017, shortly after its fourth illegal nuclear test on January 6, that began the present protracted nuclear crisis with North Korea.

The south polar trajectory of KMS-3 and KMS-4 evades U.S. Ballistic Missile Early Warning Radars and National Missile Defenses, resembling a Russian secret weapon developed during the Cold War, called the Fractional Orbital Bombardment System (FOBS) that would have used a nuclear-armed satellite to make a surprise EMP attack on the United States.

(My note: Remember from above that Russian plans and scientists have made their way to NK)

North Korean comments on nuclear attacks against the US: 

Kim Jong-Un has threatened to reduce the United States to “ashes” with “nuclear thunderbolts” and threatened to retaliate for U.S. diplomatic and military pressure by “ordering officials and scientists to complete preparations for a satellite launch as soon as possible”

Historical Tests & Results of EMP weapons by the US and Russia (and possible evidence that NK is walking down that road): 

• STARFISH PRIME: USA 1962: During the 1962 STARFISH PRIME high-altitude nuclear test... the EMP knocked-out 36 strings of street lights, caused a telecommunications microwave relay station to fail, burned out HF (High-Frequency) radio links (used for long-distance communications), set off burglar alarms, and caused other damage..[1300km away] The Hawaiian Islands did not experience a catastrophic protracted blackout because they were on the far edge of the EMP field contour, where effects are weakest; are surrounded by an ocean, which mitigates EMP effects; and were still in an age dominated by vacuum tube electronics.

• KAZAKHSTAN TESTS: RUSSIA 1961-62: Russia in 1961-62 also conducted a series of high-altitude nuclear bursts to test EMP effects over Kazakhstan, an industrialized area nearly as large as Western Europe.14 That test destroyed the Kazakh electric grid.15 Moreover, modern electronics, in part because they are designed to operate at much lower voltages, are much more vulnerable to EMP than the electronics of 1962 exposed to STARFISH PRIME and the Kazakh nuclear tests. A similar EMP event over the U.S. today would be an existential threat.1

• NORTH KOREAN TESTS: NK 2017: (NOTE: This wasn't specifically an EMP test) The North Korean missile test on April 29, 2017, which apparently detonated at an altitude of 72 kilometers, the optimum height-of-burst for EMP attack by a 10 KT warhead, would create a potentially damaging EMP field spanning, not the academic’s miscalculated 20 kilometers radius, but to about 930 kilometers radius [Kilometers Radius = 110 (Kilometers Burst Height to the 0.5 Power)].

• NOTE: A report to Senate Subcommittee in 2014 indicated that: "Over 50 years of testing by EMP simulators, still ongoing, including by the Congressional EMP Commission (2001-2008) that proved modern electronics are over 1 million times more vulnerable to EMP than the electronics of 1962.

OKAY:
• So we know what EMP Superweapon is.
• We know NK has them, and they are aggressively looking at how to deploy them.
• We know the impact they have had on electronic/power systems in the past.
• We have heard reports that modern electronics are FAR more suceptible to these attacks than during those tests. 

Let's look at historical results of power outages from single points of failure:

--The Great Northeast Blackout of 2003--that put 50 million people in the dark for a day, contributed to at least 11 deaths, and cost an estimated $6 billion—originated from a single failure point when a powerline contacted a tree branch, damaging less than 0.0000001 (0.00001%) of the system.

--The New York City Blackout of 1977, that resulted in the arrest of 4,500 looters and injury of 550 police officers, was caused by a lightning strike on a substation that tripped two circuit breakers.

--The Great Northeast Blackout of 1965, that effected 30 million people, happened because a protective relay on a transmission line was improperly set.

--India’s nationwide blackout of July 30-31, 2012—the largest blackout in history, effecting 670 million people, 9% of the world population—was caused by overload of a single high-voltage powerline.

--India’s blackout of January 2, 2001—effecting 226 million people—was caused by equipment failure at the Uttar Pradesh substation.

--Indonesia’s blackout of August 18, 2005—effecting 100 million people—was caused by overload of a high-voltage powerline.

--Brazil’s blackout of March 11, 1999—effecting 97 million people—was caused by a lightning strike on an EHV transformer substation.

--Italy’s blackout of September 28, 2003—effecting 55 million people—was caused by overload of two high-voltage powerlines.

--Germany, France, Italy, and Spain experienced partial blackouts on November 4, 2006— effecting 10-15 million people—from accidental shutdown of a high-voltage powerline.

--The San Francisco blackout in April 2017 was caused by the failure of a single high voltage breaker.

The issue is an EMP attack, reportedly, would introduce multiple points of failure: 

"In the event of a nuclear EMP attack on the United States, a widespread protracted blackout is inevitable. This commonsense assessment is also supported by the nation’s best computer modeling:

--Modeling by the U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) reportedly assesses that a terrorist attack that destroys just 9 of 2,000 EHV transformers--merely 0.0045 (0.45%) of all EHV transformers in the U.S. national electric grid--would be catastrophic damage, causing a protracted nationwide blackout.

--Modeling by the Congressional EMP Commission assesses that a terrorist nuclear EMP attack, using a primitive 10-kiloton nuclear weapon, could destroy dozens of EHV transformers, thousands of SCADAS and electronic systems, causing catastrophic collapse and protracted blackout of the U.S. Eastern Grid, putting at risk the lives of millions.27

Last edited by a moderator:
This is news?

That aside, there is no confirmation that I have seen that the NK test was in fact a hydrogen bomb, much less that they can put it on a ICBM or that said ICBM that can hit  a strategic location

I read something about this yesterday and a little in the past too... Scary stuff - I think the odds are slim NK could deliver on this, I'd be more worried about the Russians or Chinese who prob could deliver. 

With that said, I don't think either of those countries would do something this foolish, mainly bc the retaliation would be equally as catastrophic. 

This is news?

That aside, there is no confirmation that I have seen that the NK test was in fact a hydrogen bomb, much less that they can put it on a ICBM or that said ICBM that can hit  a strategic location
Considering the consensus about the NK nuclear program less than a year ago being light years behind where it actually is (H-Bomb or not), yeah this is news. The guy is a deranged psychopath with access to the most dangerous weapons on the planet and we can't scare the guy with economic sanctions. 

Considering the consensus about the NK nuclear program less than a year ago being light years behind where it actually is (H-Bomb or not), yeah this is news. The guy is a deranged psychopath with access to the most dangerous weapons on the planet and we can't scare the guy with economic sanctions. 
He is not deranged. Every IC and military analyst that I have seen comment says the same thing:

Kim Jong-Un's end game is to keep ruling until he dies.

Dictators that give up their nukes or nuke programs (in deals with the US and/or the international community) lose their power and their lives (e.g. Saddam and Gadaffi). Assad never had them but he gave up his other WMDs and he is now Putin's #####. Iran is still on going.

On that basis, pursuing nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them is a rational strategy for Kim Jong-Un - it is a deterrent against outside interference in his rule (AKA regime change).

Kim Jong-Un is behaving rationally.

Since this is a politics free thread I shall refrain from commenting on the other side of the discussion

Plug for One Second After
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/one-second-after-william-r-forstchen/1100188883

With the societal breakdown we see from localized disasters, I think it behooves everyone to keep a minimum amount of subsistence in their home.
With just-in-time inventories and specialized workforces, you cannot get goods to feed people if the grid goes down.

That dire warning came from Peter Vincent Pry, a member of the Congressional EMP Commission and executive director of the Task Force on National and Homeland Security.

He testified in front of the House Homeland Security Committee’s Subcommittee on Cybersecurity, Infrastructure Protection and Security Technologies that an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) event could wipe out 90% of America’s population.

I read something about this yesterday and a little in the past too... Scary stuff - I think the odds are slim NK could deliver on this, I'd be more worried about the Russians or Chinese who prob could deliver. 

With that said, I don't think either of those countries would do something this foolish, mainly bc the retaliation would be equally as catastrophic. 
In the case of China it would also seem a little foolish to reduce your biggest debtor to a pile of rubble

He is not deranged. Every IC and military analyst that I have seen comment says the same thing:

Kim Jong-Un's end game is to keep ruling until he dies.

Dictators that give up their nukes or nuke programs (in deals with the US and/or the international community) lose their power and their lives (e.g. Saddam and Gadaffi). Assad never had them but he gave up his other WMDs and he is now Putin's #####. Iran is still on going.

On that basis, pursuing nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them is a rational strategy for Kim Jong-Un - it is a deterrent against outside interference in his rule (AKA regime change).

Kim Jong-Un is behaving rationally.

Since this is a politics free thread I shall refrain from commenting on the other side of the discussion
He kills people with anti aircraft guns and has them eaten by dogs. That's Ramsey Bolton deranged. Just because he does some thing rationally, doesn't mean he's not deranged. The guy that dressed up like the Joker and shot up the theater was clearly deranged, but also did some very methodical things to cause the most amount of damage. Psychotic might be a better word. Either way, having that guy behave rationally about expanding his nuclear arsenal and delivery system is not something to be content about. 

He kills people with anti aircraft guns and has them eaten by dogs. That's Ramsey Bolton deranged. Just because he does some thing rationally, doesn't mean he's not deranged. The guy that dressed up like the Joker and shot up the theater was clearly deranged, but also did some very methodical things to cause the most amount of damage. Psychotic might be a better word. Either way, having that guy behave rationally about expanding his nuclear arsenal and delivery system is not something to be content about. 
You should not believe everything written on the internet

Also, I'd be surprised if a similar assessment couldn't be made about the electrical grids of Russia, China, the UK, France, Nigeria etc. with the same outcome

Also, I'd be surprised if a similar assessment couldn't be made about the electrical grids of Russia, China, the UK, France, Nigeria etc. with the same outcome
Obviously. 

Are you implying that since no-one's grid is hardened, we shouldn't consider this to be a threat? 

FYI this thread isn't intended to imply that this attack is imminent, it's to discuss the feasibility and potential outcomes. If you feel that there's no threat, that's fine. You are welcome to leave the discussion to the rest of us.  :thumbup:  

EDIT: @Doctor Detroit, would love your take on this overall issue. 

But that rational guy in NK isn't vowing to blow up those countries with nuclear thunderbolts. Or is that more rhetoric on the internet that I should ignore?

But that rational guy in NK isn't vowing to blow up those countries with nuclear thunderbolts. Or is that more rhetoric on the internet that I should ignore?
He has repeatedly saif "if attacked" - i.e. he'll rain nuclear thunder on the US (Guam at least) if he is attacked by the US or South Korea

Obviously. 

Are you implying that since no-one's grid is hardened, we shouldn't consider this to be a threat? 

FYI this thread isn't intended to imply that this attack is imminent, it's to discuss the feasibility and potential outcomes. If you feel that there's no threat, that's fine. You are welcome to leave the discussion to the rest of us.  :thumbup:  

I'm implying that this is not news. And that nothing has been done about it by anyone anywhere, i.e. the US isn't alone with a vulnerable grid - and consequently other nations can feel just as threatened about the US' capability to take out their grid as the US can.

In Koppel's book, he pointed out some very disturbing things about both the grid and our preparedness for an attack on such grid: 

He talked to the current head of FEMA and asked what the plan for NYC was for a major power outage of at least 2 weeks in the North East. The head of FEMA actually said that they would evacuate the city. The former head of FEMA when he heard the quote laughed out loud. Basically the US is not at all prepared for a major power outage

He talked to the former cyber security chief for Homeland Security said he believes that both China and Russia can turn off our power with a flip of a switch (hack the grid) but are two dependent on our economy. He fears a country like NK doing it and groups like Anonymous

There was an attack on a power station in California that the Wall Street Journal had an exclusive on as it was kept quiet by the government. The VP of the energy company got frustrated with the investigation and leaked it. The VP was there when members of a Seal team were brought in to investigate and they determined the perpetrators were extremely well trained either by our special forces or another countries. This is the article, but you have to subscribe to see the whole thing. 

This is news?

Was it a hydrogen bomb?: 
• Weapon was 10x more powerful than last test (in line with Thermonuclear devices). 
• NK Claims it was Hydrogen bomb (skepticism is wise).
• Nuke expert says NK Claims of Hydrogen bomb "appears to be a likely possibility at this point"
• They have shown a device (with far more detail than typical for them) that is designed to fit in a missile cone. 
Tunnel Collapse also indicates "strong possibility" of thermonuclear device of 100-150 kilotons (plenty large for a SuperEMP attack)

So yeah... nothing definitive... but strong likelihood they have a Hydrogen bomb, and strong suggestions by them (through atypically detailed images), that they've miniaturized it for use in a warhead (or other methods of deployment like satellites). 

As stated above, ICBM's needn't be terribly accurate for EMP deployment, given the massive rage of impact when detonated at the appropriate height in the atmosphere. Also, there are other methods detailed above that may or may not be feasible at this point (hence the discussion) 

I'm implying that this is not news. And that nothing has been done about it by anyone anywhere, i.e. the US isn't alone with a vulnerable grid - and consequently other nations can feel just as threatened about the US' capability to take out their grid as the US can.
Then move on to another thread. If this isn't news to you, then no need to be here. Simple as that. This thread is for people to discuss this news as something new. No harm, no foul. 

Cool. Since it's something I'd like to discuss, would you mind if we continue withe the topic as it pertains to the US power grid? I'd appreciate your blessing to proceed. 

I recently read a book on this (One Second after?) and it caused me to go out and buy a shotgun. 
While most books are sensationalized to some degree to sell (and 1SA is indeed a work of fiction0... I think there is a very real slice of truth "somewhere in the middle".... and that this is a very viable threat that is far from something people should be dismissing as a fantastic "zombie apocalypse" type of scenario. 

Then move on to another thread. If this isn't news to you, then no need to be here. Simple as that. This thread is for people to discuss this news as something new. No harm, no foul. 

Cool. Since it's something I'd like to discuss, would you mind if we continue withe the topic as it pertains to the US power grid? I'd appreciate your blessing to proceed. 
Feel free to continue your hand wringing over this issue that has been in play since before Cuba was embargoed 

I recently read a book on this (One Second after?) and it caused me to go out and buy a shotgun. 
That was the impetus for the shotgun? Wow. OK, I'm ordering it. I guess it's good I already have the shotgun and a few other things that go bang. 

While most books are sensationalized to some degree to sell (and 1SA is indeed a work of fiction0... I think there is a very real slice of truth "somewhere in the middle".... and that this is a very viable threat that is far from something people should be dismissing as a fantastic "zombie apocalypse" type of scenario. 
Koppel's book is not a work of fiction. He interviews people at the top levels of our government or former members of that club and shows exactly how some of these scenarios could play out. Like how most of our electrical substations only have cameras pointing in and how two men with rifles a thousand yards from a substation nearly took out the entire west coast in terms of power and had it happened, it would've stayed powerless for weeks. 

A scary aspect of that book is it has basically a blue print on how to do just that nationwide for a few determined people and it wouldn't be that hard to do. 

That was the impetus for the shotgun? Wow. OK, I'm ordering it. I guess it's good I already have the shotgun and a few other things that go bang. 
Yup. Just the prospect of seeing how quickly the situation devolves with a major event — a weeks long power outage, or natural disaster, etc. Folks some nearby not so great neighborhoods come wandering looking for food and water and whatever else, I’d like to be able to protect my family. And it’ll be too late at that point to make a run over to ****’s....

There was an attack on a power station in California that the Wall Street Journal had an exclusive on as it was kept quiet by the government. The VP of the energy company got frustrated with the investigation and leaked it. The VP was there when members of a Seal team were brought in to investigate and they determined the perpetrators were extremely well trained either by our special forces or another countries. This is the article, but you have to subscribe to see the whole thing. 
NPR addressed it here: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/02/05/272015606/sniper-attack-on-calif-power-station-raises-terrorism-fears

Within half an hour, snipers opened fire on a nearby electrical substation. Shooting for 19 minutes, they surgically knocked out 17 giant transformers that funnel power to Silicon Valley. A minute before a police car arrived, the shooters disappeared into the night.

"To avoid a blackout, electric-grid officials rerouted power around the site and asked power plants in Silicon Valley to produce more electricity. But it took utility workers 27 days to make repairs and bring the substation back to life."
and

An FBI spokesman, without going into details, tells the Journal that the agency does not believe a terrorist organization was responsible.

But, as Foreign Policy reported, a former PG&E vice president for transmission operations said at a conference last November that "these were not amateurs taking potshots."

"My personal view is that this was a dress rehearsal" for future attacks, added Mark Johnson, the former PG&E executive, according to Foreign Policy.

The Journal quotes Jon Wellinghoff — chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission at the time of the attack — as saying it was "the most significant incident of domestic terrorism involving the grid that has ever occurred" in the U.S.

Whether it was or wasn't an act of terrorism, the Journal says that "as word of the attack spread through the utility industry, some companies moved swiftly to review their security efforts. 'We're looking at things differently now,' said Michele Campanella, an FBI veteran who is director of security for Consolidated Edison Inc. in New York. For example, she said, Con Ed changed the angles of some of its 1,200 security cameras 'so we don't have any blind spots.' "

AT&T has offered a $250,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the damage done to its cables near the substation.

Meanwhile, there's another mysterious detail to report. According to the San Jose Mercury News, about 3:00 one morning a month after the attack, "a man dressed in all black was spotted ... in a field next to the property, setting off a large search by the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office. ... Sheriff's deputies searched the area but did not locate the man."

Later today, All Things Considered hopes to speak with Journal reporter Rebecca Smith. We'll add the audio from that conversation after it is broadcast. Click here to find an NPR station that broadcasts or streams the show.

Update at 1:50 p.m. ET: Attackers Appeared To Know What They Were Doing:

The attack "seems to have been the work of people who knew what they were doing," the Journal's Rebecca Smith just told NPR's Audie Cornish. The evidence, Smith said, indicates that the sniper or snipers "methodically" shot at equipment that would disable the substation if damaged — but also would not explode. Then, "one minute before police arrived, they faded into the night."

Regarding the FBI's view about who's responsible, "we don't know why the FBI feels it was not a terrorist attack," she added.

Koppel's book is not a work of fiction.
I'm aware.. hence the bolded referring to the book "1 Second After", which is Book 1 of 3 in a series of fictional (albeit very rooted in reality) looks into the topic. 

While most books are sensationalized to some degree to sell (and 1SA is indeed a work of fiction)... 

Yup. Just the prospect of seeing how quickly the situation devolves with a major event — a weeks long power outage, or natural disaster, etc. Folks some nearby not so great neighborhoods come wandering looking for food and water and whatever else, I’d like to be able to protect my family. And it’ll be too late at that point to make a run over to ****’s....
Yup, it was hell here in FL and in Puerto Rico when the power went out. 

Lots of people were looting and shot dead. Maybe. I don't know. 

The average American household has 3 days of food in it. The average grocery store has 3 days of food for the people in the general vicinity of which it is located. A one week power outage on a large scale would be very quickly devolve our society into something extremely scary. And yes, heading to ****'s would not be an option unless you went on the first day or before they announce how bad it is on the radio.

Make sure you practice with that thing. 

You guys realize that many parts of Florida were without power for over a week after Irma, right?

And I'm pretty sure most of Puerto Rico is still without power.

Let's not get carried away here.

Yup, it was hell here in FL and in Puerto Rico when the power went out. 

Lots of people were looting and shot dead. Maybe. I don't know. 
How long were you without power in FL? 

How many people were without power for more than 3 or 4 days?

What would have happened IF the telcom grid, cell towers were down as well? 

What would have happened IF the backup generators powering hospitals would not have functioned

That trilogy is very good I must say. I especially related to it as I have had type one diabetes for 40 years and take four shots a day.

i mean Facebook was down the other day for a short period and how many 911 calls were made by people? Imagine how bad it would get if people lose everything electrical? 

How long were you without power in FL? 

How many people were without power for more than 3 or 4 days?

What would have happened IF the telcom grid, cell towers were down as well? 

What would have happened IF the backup generators powering hospitals would not have functioned
Me personally? I believe it was about 8 days.

I can't speak for everyone obviously but many people were advised that their power could be out until 9/22. The hurricane hit 9/10. 

Some people didn't have cell service. 

I'm not gonna speculate on "IFs".

I just wanted to clear up the misconception that society goes to hell if the power goes out for a week. It's just plain wrong.

I can't speak for everyone obviously but many people were advised that their power could be out until 9/22. The hurricane hit 9/10. 

I just wanted to clear up the misconception that society goes to hell if the power goes out for a week. It's just plain wrong.
But, that's with all outside agencies funneling support into those regions. The situation in Florida and Puerto Rico is stabilized by groups with power, supplies and technology converging on the disaster areas.

In the scenario in the OP, this help doesn't come. No help comes. Imagine PR with no help. If no shipments of supplies and no rescue/support organizations showed up, the island would have descended into a much worse scenario than we have currently.

Long Island after Sandy was a nightmare in regard to gas. The only real issue is that 1 shotgun isn't going to amount to much of anything if the population of Brooklyn and Queens decides to go east.

But, that's with all outside agencies funneling support into those regions. The situation in Florida and Puerto Rico is stabilized by groups with power, supplies and technology converging on the disaster areas.

In the scenario in the OP, this help doesn't come. No help comes. Imagine PR with no help. If no shipments of supplies and no rescue/support organizations showed up, the island would have descended into a much worse scenario than we have currently.

Long Island after Sandy was a nightmare in regard to gas. The only real issue is that 1 shotgun isn't going to amount to much of anything if the population of Brooklyn and Queens decides to go east.
I hear ya, but then that's another issue. Now you're not just talking about no power for a week....now you're talking about basically no government (local and federal) for the foreseeable future. Different situation.

Carry on.

It appears Irma resulted in about 5-7MM people across 5 states without power after landfall around 9/11. The event required 30,000 extra workers from as far away as mexico and canada to bring power back. It looks like ~half folks had power back on within a day or two, most within a week, and everyone had power on within 10-11 days. 

Compared to an EMP this likely: 
• Much smaller in scale of impact (EMP over eastern seaboard could impact 5-10x as many people, if not more). 
• Impact scale would mean no way near enough "Extra crews" to address repairs in timely manner
• Damage to infrastructure from EMP is systemwide, vs localized with storm damage. It's not just patching a downed line, it's replacing large portions of the system.... FAR more expensive and time consuming. 
• The resources of FEMA were strained with just this event. It is no way near capable of responding to an event 5-10+ times larger in scale. 
• EMP would likely impact communications and emergency backup power generators in a way that storm damage doesn't. 

Basically way more people would be way more screwed for far far longer. It's easy to console a couple major cities when they see trucks everywhere and their neighbors are calling saying "we've got power, cmon over and eat/shower here". When entire states are down for weeks on end with little or no end in sight... people will get desperate. It would likely be an entirely different story. 

People who know communities nearby are okay, and they see help coming to there community (or have hope it is coming soon) are generally not going to panic. 

People who have no idea when (or if) help may be coming, and see everyone else is screwed too WILL panic. 

Also there is familiarity at play here. 
• Florida is used to hurricanes. There is a system in place. Worst issues were largely isolated to areas with plans and infrastructure to address them. Communication systems were largely online enough to let people know what the plan was and that help is coming. This was a familiar inconvenience for most. 

• EMP is completely unfamiliar (and therefore far more scary to most), and would likely cause much more significant damage to more infrastructure, inhibit communications needed to appease the masses, and would last much longer. This would be foreign and far more scary to folks 

The two are vastly different. Florida was hit hard but surrounding states were fine. Much of Florida was also fine. You still had radios and could listen to the news. Government still ran. Aid could come in from nearby unaffected areas. 

Not imagine the entire east coast, or the right side of the country, loses power indefinitely. No government. No radio.  No cell phone. No aid from the next state over.  Oh, and your cars won’t work either. So no long distance traveling.  And you have no way of knowing what’s happening or when it will be fixed.  It’s like olden times. You don’t have Anderson Cooper coming through and scooping people up in a helicopter. 

This is news?

Also, our nuclear subs aren't tied to our electrical grid.

Obviously. 

@Doctor Detroit is busting his ### under exceptionally challenging and difficult conditions to assist our fellow Americans in Puerto Rico.  Since we're keeping politics out of this, I wont comment on certain other folks. 

Believe he's back in a few weeks.  Go DocD!  It's been an illustrative if at times heart wrenching (and other times uplifting) follow on my facebook feed. :banned:  

Users who are viewing this thread