What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you hoard credit card points? (3 Viewers)

Right now the wider community is sweating what appears to be a broadening sweep at AA looking at high mile account holders.  A tiny number of people that report they did not sell their miles off are getting caught up in a ban wave. 

This is only to say, that in this game things change fast and take advantage of what you can when you can and don't look back
Does this mean you will scold people more or less for bonuses that they've already gained 😉 ?

Does this mean you will scold people more or less for bonuses that they've already gained 😉 ?
The message is take what the offer is today, and find ways to spend it.  Too many people treat their points as some sort of retirement fund.  Devals happen so often (Hyatt yesterday) that you can't waste time finding or using them.  Shutdowns aren't the only way you can get nailed.

That being said I've piled on >1Mil AA miles on P1 and another 600k P2 so I'm sweating this AA thing a bit, but I've never sold miles and there is no activity on my account that would appear to be mile selling.   Mile selling, is a real quick way to catch a ban.  AA hasn't ever banned a churner and I can't see why they would really give a ####.  

So be greedy, but don't be stupid greedy. I guess.  

I will say, I tried reading through a whole bunch of the reddit forum the last few days related to churning and it is intense. I can see where @culdeus gets it from with being very precise and detailed about this stuff so I can't fault him.

The manufactured spending threads was one rabbit hole too many for me to go down still learning this game. There are some people out there doing some serious working of the system and even making a decent chunk of change doing it. For example, hitting the Black Friday deals the last few weeks, getting tons of gift cards at a discount or on sale and then cashing those out through various methods.

I do wonder sometimes if people sitting on Southwest that organically earn the CP and get so hyped about it are secretly resentful of people that their first flight of the year is a CP (and free).  

The old status match challenge scams had to piss off true frequent travelers too as it would cold block anyone that didn't fly alot from upgrades.

I will say, I tried reading through a whole bunch of the reddit forum the last few days related to churning and it is intense. I can see where @culdeus gets it from with being very precise and detailed about this stuff so I can't fault him.

The manufactured spending threads was one rabbit hole too many for me to go down still learning this game. There are some people out there doing some serious working of the system and even making a decent chunk of change doing it. For example, hitting the Black Friday deals the last few weeks, getting tons of gift cards at a discount or on sale and then cashing those out through various methods.
I don't bother with gift card re-sellling. I will buy gift cards to meet minimum spend and cash them out to serve.  I've caught one serve ban and have one live card still.  I don't want to be the guy that has to go to his mom to get another serve account.  

There's a minimum threshold I won't dip below.  I don't have an hourly rate, or anything, but I'm sure as hell not going to drop 20 grand on gift cards at a discount to make $200 bucks or whatever on the back end plus the miles.  

It's 48 months since getting the last bonus now.  And you can get both the preferred and the reserve if you time it well.  It is not a good idea for this to be your first two chase cards and instead work them for several biz cards and get both sapphires at 4/24
Thought they got removed the double dip on getting both sapphire cards on same day but maybe i am wrong.  

Right now the wider community is sweating what appears to be a broadening sweep at AA looking at high mile account holders.  A tiny number of people that report they did not sell their miles off are getting caught up in a ban wave. 

This is only to say, that in this game things change fast and take advantage of what you can when you can and don't look back. 
Man, saw that too. I know a guy who has a high mile account, but he has not sold miles....

Man, saw that too. I know a guy who has a high mile account, but he has not sold miles....
Selling miles is gonna get you a ban Everytime.  I'm gonna wait and see what they do before using any more mailers though.  I've got enough to hold me for awhile. 

Selling miles is gonna get you a ban Everytime.  I'm gonna wait and see what they do before using any more mailers though.  I've got enough to hold me for awhile. 
Agreed. Sitting out for awhile. It has been a very very productive run. 

Agreed. Sitting out for awhile. It has been a very very productive run. 
That Expedia card coming along was really well timed.  You get that?   I will be 1/65 on like Christmas.  Figure will make the risk call then.  

The AA miles thing is starting to come home to roost. It seems like they have cast a very broad net, and there will be at least some actions taken against some of us. Since for a lot of people literally the only churning they did was AA miles and the occasional one off bank offer this will hurt.

do you mind explaining this more clearly.  where does the extra 100k in points come from?  why are they worth 1.5x more?  and how am earning that $505?  

you act omniscient about this stuff and the advice you usually give is, "you're doing it wrong, follow the flow chart"  with a sprinkling of comments like the one above.  i want to do it "right"   i thought i was following the flow chart.  apparently, not correctly.  help a brother out.
Man that flowchart is intense.  It feels to me like reading a different language.  I've gone back to it a few times and can't seem to find my flow so to speak.   I guess I made the same "mistake" as you as I ended up getting the csp.  I was also pretty stoked with the rewards but I'm gathering I could have done much better.   Definitely feel in over my head here.......  

The AA miles thing is starting to come home to roost. It seems like they have cast a very broad net, and there will be at least some actions taken against some of us. Since for a lot of people literally the only churning they did was AA miles and the occasional one off bank offer this will hurt.
Nervous as hell. Have a few flights booked on miles in the summer, sweating this out for sure.

Nervous as hell. Have a few flights booked on miles in the summer, sweating this out for sure.
I mean what are the reasonable outcomes

• They ask you to stop it with a sternly worded letter
  • They do nothing
  • They wipe your mile balance
  • They wipe your mile balance and cancel all your award flights
  • They cancel everything including your revenue tickets and tell you to F off, forever.  
As others have pointed out people that churned, and sold miles, got away with a mile reduction and a please don't do this anymore letter.  

I have a family trip in March and a Europe trip in July that I'm sweating along with another 600k miles across two accounts.  

I would like to know what in the hell actually caused them to flag this stuff, just now.   Over the last 6 or so years I've generated maybe 2 Million miles.  And I consider that pretty small time.  

All things end badly, or else they wouldn't end.  

The CSR adds a 1.5x multiplier for all UR points. It also comes with a $300 travel credit that can be double dipped.  Meaning you can get $600 out of that $300 on your anniversary day.  Easily.
I have the CSR and have had for years.  Please elaborate on this?  To my knowledge I have received only one $300 credit each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do wonder sometimes if people sitting on Southwest that organically earn the CP and get so hyped about it are secretly resentful of people that their first flight of the year is a CP (and free).  

The old status match challenge scams had to piss off true frequent travelers too as it would cold block anyone that didn't fly alot from upgrades.
It does, it did.

I have the CSR and have had for years.  Please elaborate on this?  To my knowledge I have received only one $300 credit each year.
The simplest method to explain

Year 1 - Apply for card, use benefit

Year 2 - Use benefit and downgrade card within the same billing cycle

Now if you have a P2 in the mix

Year 1 - P1 applies

Year 2 - P2 uses credit and downgrades

Also Year 2 - P2 applies and uses credit

Year 3 - P1 upgrades and uses credit

Year 3 - P2 uses credit and downgrades

repeat so as long as you have one player with the 1.5x multiplier and you can continually churn two credits per 1 AF.

The simplest method to explain

Year 1 - Apply for card, use benefit

Year 2 - Use benefit and downgrade card within the same billing cycle

Now if you have a P2 in the mix

Year 1 - P1 applies

Year 2 - P2 uses credit and downgrades

Also Year 2 - P2 applies and uses credit

Year 3 - P1 upgrades and uses credit

Year 3 - P2 uses credit and downgrades

repeat so as long as you have one player with the 1.5x multiplier and you can continually churn two credits per 1 AF.
Interesante, thank you.

Sounds like AA gonna come down hard on the churners.  Keep in mind you could at one time churn a 100k mile card every 33 days for 2 years paying a $95 fee for each card.   Someone on FT estimated if you really maxed out every offer you could have taken 11 million miles with two players spending perhaps $2k in fees.  Or less. 

It was a run. 

Sounds like AA gonna come down hard on the churners.  Keep in mind you could at one time churn a 100k mile card every 33 days for 2 years paying a $95 fee for each card.   Someone on FT estimated if you really maxed out every offer you could have taken 11 million miles with two players spending perhaps $2k in fees.  Or less. 

It was a run. 
Actually easily zero fee, canceled after SUB posts.

For bonus offers after $X spend in 3 months... if you hit that spend after the first month and pay the balance, do you typically get the points then or do they wait the full 3 months?

For bonus offers after $X spend in 3 months... if you hit that spend after the first month and pay the balance, do you typically get the points then or do they wait the full 3 months?
Depends on the issuer

For Chase normally they pay out bonuses each Tuesday, so you would expect to see the bonus land the first Tuesday after your statement cycle closes that earned it even if that lands on a Tuesday.  If you are desperate you can manipulate your statement closing date around this.  Where a bank holiday falls on a Tuesday you will get it the following Tuesday.  As NYD and Christmas fall on a Tuesday this year, this has the potential to delay it by 3 weeks for those.

Citibank pays out on the day after the statement close where you earned it, this is also true for Barclays.

Amex is more inconsistent.  You really can't count on any particular payout timeline with Amex.

How much can one accumulate a year doing this with enough discipline and research?

Sounds like this would be a great part time gig for my wife
Are you willing to manufacture spend and acquire and convert gift cards into money orders?  

I mean you are limited mostly by credit card velocity for applications across two people, but if you are willing to do the legwork required to manufacture spend then that opens up a completely new revenue stream.

Are you willing to manufacture spend and acquire and convert gift cards into money orders?  

I mean you are limited mostly by credit card velocity for applications across two people, but if you are willing to do the legwork required to manufacture spend then that opens up a completely new revenue stream.
We seem to spend a decent amount. I have it piled up on my united mileage card and every so often I get enough for free flights.

This seems like something she would enjoy as she is very detail oriented and likes spending money.

We seem to spend a decent amount. I have it piled up on my united mileage card and every so often I get enough for free flights.

This seems like something she would enjoy as she is very detail oriented and likes spending money.
If you have a lot of organic spend then just follow the flowchart.  If you want to turn this into a part time job then look into manufactured spending.  I only do very light MS if I end up needing to finish off some cards so I'm familiar with the process, but not motivated enough to want to grind it out.  I will likely grind out the PRG Grocery 5x thing early next year since the AA mailers have dried up, to move MR to Avios.  If that seems sustainable I will probably move to MS on stuff like CIC.  

If you have a lot of organic spend then just follow the flowchart.  If you want to turn this into a part time job then look into manufactured spending.  I only do very light MS if I end up needing to finish off some cards so I'm familiar with the process, but not motivated enough to want to grind it out.  I will likely grind out the PRG Grocery 5x thing early next year since the AA mailers have dried up, to move MR to Avios.  If that seems sustainable I will probably move to MS on stuff like CIC.  
Are we talking 2k? 10k? More? Within 1 year? 2?

Are we talking 2k? 10k? More? Within 1 year? 2?
The apparent loss of the Citibank AA thing hurts the overall earn rate, alot.  If you assume that is RIP now you have to really come to the conclusion that years 1 and 2 are velocity limited by Chase, primarily to your max earn potential.  It's not unreasonable to expect $12k per player from Chase in year one.  If you can mix in Amex Biz cards and other biz cards you could clear 20k per player relatively easily just on SUBs towards travel.  Pure cashback earnings are less.

Wife got an AMEX Platinum 100K offer in the mail yesterday. Before I discovered this thread that would have gone in the recycle bin. Now I find myself trying to figure out if we can hit 5K minimum spend in 3 months on that card and the same on the Southwest Preferred Bus card I just signed up for 2 weeks ago.

No idea how she was the one that got the offer based on their magical formula.

The apparent loss of the Citibank AA thing hurts the overall earn rate, alot.  If you assume that is RIP now you have to really come to the conclusion that years 1 and 2 are velocity limited by Chase, primarily to your max earn potential.  It's not unreasonable to expect $12k per player from Chase in year one.  If you can mix in Amex Biz cards and other biz cards you could clear 20k per player relatively easily just on SUBs towards travel.  Pure cashback earnings are less.
Culdeus I hear you are the resident expert but this is open to everyone...  long story short I’ve had a Disney card for the last 8 years and after this last trip we are fairly certian we aren’t going back.  As such it’s time for a new card/reward program.  We are interested in first class travel as a reward or cash back, kind of undecided.   Basically looking for the best possible deal up front in combination with long term perks.  Not at all interested in getting a new card every 6 months.

i/we have a FICO of 820.  All of our bills go through the card so a yearly min spend won’t be an issue.

what is the best card out there?

Wife got an AMEX Platinum 100K offer in the mail yesterday. Before I discovered this thread that would have gone in the recycle bin. Now I find myself trying to figure out if we can hit 5K minimum spend in 3 months on that card and the same on the Southwest Preferred Bus card I just signed up for 2 weeks ago.

No idea how she was the one that got the offer based on their magical formula.
If it has NLL you can sell these.  If under 5/24 a plat is still worth burning a slot but it's not as clear cut with the restrictions on travel credits they have now.

Culdeus I hear you are the resident expert but this is open to everyone...  long story short I’ve had a Disney card for the last 8 years and after this last trip we are fairly certian we aren’t going back.  As such it’s time for a new card/reward program.  We are interested in first class travel as a reward or cash back, kind of undecided.   Basically looking for the best possible deal up front in combination with long term perks.  Not at all interested in getting a new card every 6 months.

i/we have a FICO of 820.  All of our bills go through the card so a yearly min spend won’t be an issue.

Follow the flowchart.  Till you get bored.  Most travel reward cards have diminished cash rewards that can be triggered if you decide to not use them.  

If you want detailed advice the format from the WCW Reddit format is useful for someone like me to be able to help

Check out the Credit Card Recommendation Flowchart before posting in this thread.

https://reddit.com/r/churning/comments/c1njpc/faq_credit_card_recommendation_flowchart/

• The flowchart can answer 95% of all "What card should I get?" questions. By continuing to post, you must explain why you feel the flowchart does not answer your question. Asking for feedback ("The flowchart says I should get X - is that still the best choice?") is absolutely allowed.
  • What is your credit score?
  • What cards do you currently have or have you had in the past (including closed cards), along with dates of when you were approved for the cards? Please include month and year for any card approved in the last 3 years.
  • How much natural spend can you put on a new card(s) in 3 months?
  • Are you willing to MS, and if so, how much in 3 months? See this page for a primer on MS. Plastiq (for rent/mortgage/loan payments) and bank account funding are often good options for beginners.
  • Are you open to applying for business cards? If not, why? See this post and this wiki question to learn more.
  • How many new cards are you interested in getting? Are you interested in getting into churning regularly (if you aren't already)? Or are you just looking to get a new card(s) for now but not get into churning long-term?
  • Are you targeting points, Companion Passes, hotel or airline statuses, First Class, Biz, Economy seating(s) or cash back?
  • What point/miles do you currently have?
  • What is the airport you're flying out of?
  • Where would you like to go? (The More specific you are, the better someone can recommend the right card. Tokyo is great, "International travel" is way too vague)

@culdeus  Just got through the bonus on my CIP.  Going through the flow chart I am heading for the Barclays AA next.  Has anything changed in the 6 months this chart as been out to change where I should be heading?  Thanks.

@culdeus  Just got through the bonus on my CIP.  Going through the flow chart I am heading for the Barclays AA next.  Has anything changed in the 6 months this chart as been out to change where I should be heading?  Thanks.
The only thing that changed is don't use paper mailers to get citicards.  Barclays AA is a small spend.  Would maybe look at the Hilton biz elevated offer from amex at the same time.  

Not the expert Culdeus is, but the answer will depend on a few things he laid out in his posts. Is there a particular airline you prefer to fly or hub near you that would make you favor one over the other? For example I am out of Denver, United and Southwest are the two biggest players and one of the two is who I usually fly with. Therefore getting a Southwest Companion pass holds a lot of value for me, and once I get that and my wife will fly free, I won't really need United for two years so I'm not focusing on them yet. If you don't care about a particular airline, and have no interest in actually churning for lots of points or opening business cards, then you might be best focusing on a card that gives a lot of cashback.

How many credit cards have you opened in the last 24 months? If zero from the sound of it, you would have a lot of flexibility.

The only thing that changed is don't use paper mailers to get citicards.  Barclays AA is a small spend.  Would maybe look at the Hilton biz elevated offer from amex at the same time.  
Barclays AA is also on the flowchart for me but AA doesn't really fly out of Denver much and I am a long way away from planning any big reward type trips. I am 1-24 (SW Priority from 2/2019 before I really started researching this stuff, focusing on SW Bus cards at the moment) and was thinking of doing the Chase Marriott next based on the flowchart's recommendation to get the clock started for the 24 months between SUBs (SignUpBonuses) on the AMEX SPG cards. Would probably go CIP's after that. What are your thoughts on that?

Not the expert Culdeus is, but the answer will depend on a few things he laid out in his posts. Is there a particular airline you prefer to fly or hub near you that would make you favor one over the other? For example I am out of Denver, United and Southwest are the two biggest players and one of the two is who I usually fly with. Therefore getting a Southwest Companion pass holds a lot of value for me, and once I get that and my wife will fly free, I won't really need United for two years so I'm not focusing on them yet. If you don't care about a particular airline, and have no interest in actually churning for lots of points or opening business cards, then you might be best focusing on a card that gives a lot of cashback.

How many credit cards have you opened in the last 24 months? If zero from the sound of it, you would have a lot of flexibility.
For what it’s worth I went ahead and opened up the Citibank double cashback card where you get 1% at charge and 1% at payment.

just seemed the easiest and made the most sense.

For what it’s worth I went ahead and opened up the Citibank double cashback card where you get 1% at charge and 1% at payment.

just seemed the easiest and made the most sense.
I mean if you aren't going to churn cards and just care about cash back then that's fine.  There are better cards for cash back to consider, BOA offers a better cash back rate for those with large balances with them, for example than what Citi does here.  Amex has some category cash back rates that exceed either.  Chasing cash back is not as lucrative as travel rewards, but there are still cards in the flow chart that make sense on the CB side to blend.

Users who are viewing this thread