What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mindhunter (1 Viewer)

Lots of people keep calling for the demise of netflix yet they keep releasing tons of great new content... witcher, Irishman, Aaron Hernandez doc. This show is like 20th on the list of great shows by netflix. 

They should. The binge approach is stupid as hell from a network perspective.
I love binge watching shows. Weekly viewership is a thing of the past. It's why Hulu will never reach netflix status. You can still watch weekly if you want. 

Charlie Harper said:
This is what's gonna kill Netflix. They keep shutting down series before giving them a final wrap up. Eventually people will stop watching shows if they never finish. 

Netflix has burned me on Marco and Mindhunter.
Shows on network tv get cancelled after 1-2 seasons all the time based on viewership. Why would netflix be any different?

I love binge watching shows. Weekly viewership is a thing of the past. It's why Hulu will never reach netflix status. You can still watch weekly if you want. 
I get the binge watching thing. It's fun too. However, it robs you of "watercooler" talk, podcasts, thinking about what will happen next, analyzing meaning and symbols, etc. It also greatly reduces the amount of time a show will receive attention and generate buzz.

shadyridr said:
Shows on network tv get cancelled after 1-2 seasons all the time based on viewership. Why would netflix be any different?
Because network TV is free and there's a larger number of networks. I can't imagine HBO cutting something like Mindhunter after 2 seasons. It just seems to cheapen the brand if Netflix is constantly cutting their headline shows early.

Because network TV is free and there's a larger number of networks. I can't imagine HBO cutting something like Mindhunter after 2 seasons. It just seems to cheapen the brand if Netflix is constantly cutting their headline shows early.
Deadwood.....

That wasn't their fault. The show runner and writer didn't want to make it anymore. They offered him a 6 episode season 4. He refused. They then offered a 2 hour movie to wrap it up. He refused. 
And this isn't Netflix's fault from what I read.

That wasn't their fault. The show runner and writer didn't want to make it anymore. They offered him a 6 episode season 4. He refused. They then offered a 2 hour movie to wrap it up. He refused. 
So basically the same reason they let the actors out of their contracts. Because Fincher doesn't want to do it anymore. 

Really?  Never heard that story before.  Wow, crazy

Also look at what happened with a show like Game of Thrones. Maybe we would all have been better off of it got cancelled a couple years ago.

It wouldn’t have been how I chose to end GoT, but they could have gotten to the ending they wanted and gotten people to buy in if they executed their plan a lot better and didn’t get lazy in the storytelling, all because they wanted to be done with it when they wanted to instead of what their plan required. 

If that was the approach the Mindhunter people would’ve taken if they were basically forced into doing the next season, I’d much rather they shelf it and hope they do it right down the road.  

Liked the first season, but didn't think the second was very good.  Part of that is because Atlanta Monster did so much of a better job on that content.

Looks like this just happened with Netflix's current top prestige show, and their most expensive program: The Crown was supposed to run six seasons, but, will end after five instead. They're dropping the "one decade a season" format and instead condensing the next two seasons to span 40 years. 

It's too long-in-the-tooth for Netflix, no one new is signing up for the service just to see season 3. If they're not hooked yet, they're not gonna be, and now they're cut loose. 

Remains to be seen if cutting this tentpole will affect Netflix's subscriber numbers. 
GTFOH. Mother####er. I’m done with this company. 

Such ridiculous logic. It’s not bringing in new customers but it’s sure as hell going to lose old ones. GD it. Between the crown, bojack and mindhunter that’s 3 out of the 10-12 shows I really enjoy right now. 
So you’re canceling and passing up those other 7-10 shows you love?

Honestly, I am surprised there isnt something in the contracts that allow a service like NF to continue a show if they choose and the originator wants to walk.  

Non-Netflix? Shows I enjoyed in 2019 or am excited to see in 2020:

better call Saul 

chernobyl 

fleabag 

thrones 

Watchmen 

succession

curb 

Mandalorian (sorry)

mrs maisel

fargo
I dont have hbo, so I think I miss a good chunk of the high end stuff.   

I finally got around to watching season 2 of this.  I didn't think it was all that interesting, tbh.  I'm not sure if the story about SA Tench's adopted son is based on history, or if it is just manufactured drama, but if true to real life, its pretty remarkable that an FBI agent who studies serial murders would have a son who was "involved" in something like that.  I guess they were trying to show how the system dealt with a struggling child back in the early 80's?  

I am glad they aren't making a 3rd season of this.  if its just going to turn into a procedural, then its no different than a dozen other shows out there.  The Kemper interviews were the best part of the show.  In fact, I thought all the actors who portrayed various serial killers were very convincing in their role.  The dude who spoke 7 languages... 🤣

But, just a show about trying to apply what they've learned before they actually learned anything was pretty lame, imo.  

Crap, I really liked this show.  I vowed not to watch shows until they were completed after Life on Mars and Sarah Connor Chronicles burned me.  Serves me right.  Dammit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread