What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"the Get Down" on Netlfix - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
T"he Get Down is a musical drama television series set in the South Bronx in the late 1970s. Created by Baz Luhrmann and Stephen Adly Guirgis, the series debuted in 2016 on Netflix.[2] The first part of its first season consists of six 53–93 minute episodes produced by Sony Pictures Television.[3] The first six episodes of the series premiered on August 12, 2016.[4]"

The series is described as "a mythic saga of how New York at the brink of bankruptcy gave birth to hip-hop, punk and disco", the Sony Pictures Television show takes in Bronx tenements, the SoHo art scene, CBGB, Studio 54 and the just-built World Trade Center.[12

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll repost what I posted in the "Rap/Hip Hop Discussion" thread:

Anybody watching The Get Down on Netflix.  I've only seen episode 1 but I'm hooked.

Can't believe they are glorifying the birth of a genre that eventually led to the darkest period of music history (the present).

Big hip hop fan here but had a tough time getting through the pilot.  Does it get better?  Seemed cheesy af.  Maybe I'm still scarred by Vinyl on HBO.  

Was sick as a dog this weekend, so binge watched all six episodes. I really enjoyed it. You do have to get past some of the cheesiness that comes from anything Baz Luhrmann is involved in, but there is a lot to like about this series. The mixing in of real-life footage from 1970s NYC was done really well.

The foreshadowing of "Books" between 1977 and 1996 is a nice touch. And I thought the cast was exceptional, I didn't even think about it being Jaden Smith. 

Users who are viewing this thread