What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man rigs boxes with blank shotgun shells to prevent theives (1 Viewer)

Mr. Ected

Footballguy
Brilliant idea, although what confuses me is the part at the end of this news story, where they say that if someone gets hurt with one of these, it could be your fault.

So if someone trespasses on my property, is attempting to steal my goods, and they get hurt it's my fault? :whoosh:

Brilliant idea, although what confuses me is the part at the end of this news story, where they say that if someone gets hurt with one of these, it could be your fault.

So if someone trespasses on my property, is attempting to steal my goods, and they get hurt it's my fault? :whoosh:
Wait. You mean if I leave a bomb on my porch and some kid comes up to it and it goes off that can be *my* fault? I thought this was America, damnit.

Wait. You mean if I leave a bomb on my porch and some kid comes up to it and it goes off that can be *my* fault? I thought this was America, damnit.
That one I understand, I just don't get that while someone is on trial for trespassing and attempted theft, why they should then be able to sue me to pay for their injuries.

That one I understand, I just don't get that while someone is on trial for trespassing and attempted theft, why they should then be able to sue me to pay for their injuries.
How does the bomb know the difference between the kid and the thief?

Suppose a UPS driver comes to your house to deliver a $800k inheritance check. He moves the box to the side so he can knock on your door and BAM! He says f*** this and gets back into his truck and drives away. You never see that check and UPS just claims it got lost. That would make an interesting thread. 

How does the bomb know the difference between the kid and the thief?
It's kind of weird that "You Should Be Able To Kill Trespassers" guy is usually the same person as "Kids Should Play Outside" guy.

A better question would be

Judge: "How exactly did the loud noise hurt you Mr. Thief?"

Thief: "It hurt my feelings ... really, really bad".

Assuming the kid is a scumbag thief, the difference would be that he's not an adult. 

Which, from a moral and legal standpoint, is kinda a big difference.
Shamrockpride must live in some kind of dystopian nightmare world.  I live in an average middle class suburban community where kids knock on my door pretty regularly to sell me crap for boy scouts, band/sports/school trip fundraisers, not to mention the next door neighbors always knock and ask to get a toy that they let go into my yard (despite me saying you don't have to ask, just let yourself in).  I also have crap delivered to my doorstep all the time.  If the package is large enough, people must move them to the side to knock on my door.  I, as a normal adjusted human being don't take offense to that.  I hope I never have to live in a world where I fear for my life and property from children like some people in this thread.

Shamrockpride must live in some kind of dystopian nightmare world.  I live in an average middle class suburban community where kids knock on my door pretty regularly to sell me crap for boy scouts, band/sports/school trip fundraisers, not to mention the next door neighbors always knock and ask to get a toy that they let go into my yard (despite me saying you don't have to ask, just let yourself in).  I also have crap delivered to my doorstep all the time.  If the package is large enough, people must move them to the side to knock on my door.  I, as a normal adjusted human being don't take offense to that.  I hope I never have to live in a world where I fear for my life and property from children like some people in this thread.
And even if the kid is a theif, there's a reason we treat minors differently than adults, ya know 

Suppose a UPS driver comes to your house to deliver a $800k inheritance check. He moves the box to the side so he can knock on your door and BAM! He says f*** this and gets back into his truck and drives away. You never see that check and UPS just claims it got lost. That would make an interesting thread. 
This post isn’t getting enough love

The simple solution to this is for UPS/Fedex to just put a small tracking chip in/on random items and not advertise it so thieves can remove them. The item is taken and can be tracked to location by law enforcement. Now I guarantee this would be the lowest and lowest of priorities for police and then you run into the whole problem of how do you gain entry into the house, but I can guarantee this isn't just a one-off crime. I bet there are a group of people doing this, probably storing items at one central house. So when you get one package you probably would find dozens of packages. The other problem with this is the delivery companies will not keep it secret--instead they will advertise it and charge extra for it and then thieves will know what to look for in the packaging

The other option is for UPS/Fedex to employ security to just travel around in a car behind the trucks in areas prone to high rates of porch theft and just observe the packages for small periods of time. This would be like finding a needle in a haystack, but the key to stopping this type of crime is the press showing people in handcuffs. Right now, that isn't the case.

I know this is a big problem here in my city. The press shows the crimes being committed from people's security cameras, but they never talk about anyone arrested. People getting caught is the only way you are going to see this crime be impacted. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread