What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Rosen, MIN (4 Viewers)

In an interview with Peter King, former UCLA head coach Jim Mora expanded on his previous comments regarding QB Josh Rosen and his interests outside of football.

"He needs to be challenged intellectually so he doesn’t get bored. He’s a millennial. He wants to know why," Mora told King. "... Josh has a lot of interests in life. If you can hold his concentration level and focus only on football for a few years, he will set the world on fire." Let's break this down. First, every prospect in this class is a "millennial." Second, Mora is describing Rosen's off-field interests in a negative way, as if they should not come between Rosen and football. We all have interests outside of our job, it is what makes our lives balanced and livable. Third, Mora is making Rosen's process more difficult by opening his mouth. It is an uncertain time for Rosen, and each time Mora speaks he is forcing Rosen to answer questions in a future interview he wasn't going to previously be asked. This isn't how you handle a draft process for your former quarterback. This quote will stick with Rosen, and that's on Mora.

Source: The MMQB 

Apr 2 - 8:44 AM

I agree 100% with Brooks. Rosen is the only QB in this class that will become special. The other guys look like back end starters to me. (I define back end starter as QB16-QB32 in real, as opposed to, fantasy, terms.)

As a Cowboys fan, it is silly to think the pokes are legit contenders. Will finish either 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 next year. Can't overcome Garrett's abysmal late game clock/situational management to win the close games needed to hit 11 or 12 wins.

:mellow:

Is this really 2018?

https://forward.com/fast-forward/398331/espn-host-josh-rosen-would-rather-play-in-ny-than-cleveland-because-hes-a/

ESPN Host: Josh Rosen Would Rather Play In NY Than Cleveland Because He’s A Jew

Two separate ESPN radio shows implied last week that top football prospect Josh Rosen would rather play in New York than Cleveland because of his Jewish background, The Big Lead reported.

Rosen, a quarterback who attended UCLA, is expected to be one of the top picks in the upcoming NFL Draft. The Cleveland Browns have the first pick by virtue of being last year’s worst team. Rosen has had to deny frequent reports that he does not want to play in Cleveland.

After Rosen’s former college coach, Jim Mora, said that the Browns should take a different quarterback rather than Rosen with their pick, ESPN radio host Stephen A. Smith theorized that Mora “may have been doing it to dissuade the Cleveland Browns from picking him because Josh Rosen, according to my sources, would prefer to be in New York. He’s Jewish, there’s a stronger Jewish community, he’d rather be in the New York market than the Cleveland market, blah blah blah. We don’t know, but it’s some of the things that we’ve heard.”

The New York Giants and Jets have the second and third picks in the draft.

Hosts of ESPN L.A.’s morning show also theorized that New York would be a better fit for Rosen because of its large Jewish community, which would help his local popularity.

Rosen’s father is Jewish but his mother is a Quaker. Josh Rosen had a Bar Mitzvah but attended a Catholic high school, when he told a reporter that he was “kind of an atheist.”

The New York metro area has the largest Jewish community in the country, with over two million Jews, according to the Jewish Virtual Library. There are approximately 80,000 Jews in the Cleveland area.

And ESPN wonders why its credibility and profits are in the toilet.  How in the Seven Hells does Steven A Smith still have a job?

And ESPN wonders why its credibility and profits are in the toilet.  How in the Seven Hells does Steven A Smith still have a job?
Unfortunately tv and radio frequently have the loudest, most controversial people “analyzing” sports, and not the best analysts. It gets ratings I guess. People throwing out whatever ideas they might have just to rile people up. 

An anonymous NFL scout said UCLA QB Josh Rosen is "the best pure passer I’ve seen since Drew Brees."

Bob McGinn Football's Mark Eckel has Rosen as his second-ranked quarterback behind USC Sam Darnold. This seems to echo the thoughts of some around the NFL as a poll of 14 NFL player personnel executives had Rosen finish as a close second behind Darnold. One NFL scout is extremely bullish on Rosen's on-field ability saying he "is as classic a passer as you could have, his mechanics are impeccable. He’s got arm strength. He reads the field." Most scouts are high on his on-field ability, but there seem to be some troubling issues with his personality and leadership ability. A second scout mentioned "He looks the part when he throws the ball but lacks the rest of the assets you need to be a winning quarterback up here. Off the field, he doesn’t have the profile you want for someone leading your team." Despite the "concerns," Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom and Josh Norris have Rosen as their No. 1 overall player in the 2018 draft.

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 22 - 1:57 PM

NFL Media's Gil Brandt doesn't "have any questions" about UCLA QB Josh Rosen's character.

With Rosen's draft stock falling substantially as questions about his character continue to arrise, the former NFL player personel executive gave Rosen his stamp of approval. Brandt continued by saying "A good athlete, Rosen has a strong arm and accuracy -- he can make all the throws. By Year 2, he'll be a successful starter in the NFL." Rotoworld's Josh Norris and Thor Nystrom both agree with this sentiment and have Rosen as their No. 1 overall player in the draft.

Source: NFL.com 

Apr 25 - 12:03 PM

Nobody seems to like talking about this guy but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not only going to be the best QB in this class, but a 15-year starter.  Browns are going to get it wrong again and pass on a future star.

Josh Rosen - QB - Player

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports teams have concerns with UCLA QB Josh Rosen's commitment level.

"The thing that bothers me with him is that football's not the priority," an offensive coordinator said. "That drives me nuts. That's like taking somebody you're going to bank your next 12 years on, and you're going to have to convince that guy football's the most important thing in his life." Several teams also referenced UCLA coach Jim Mora's comments that Rosen "needs to be challenged" as a red flag. Rosen has the most complete package of the top four quarterbacks, but off-field character has him as a fringe top-10 pick.

Source: NFL Network

Apr 25 - 5:02 PM

Nobody seems to like talking about this guy but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not only going to be the best QB in this class, but a 15-year starter.  Browns are going to get it wrong again and pass on a future star.
Really hoping the Dolphins find a way to land him. Never would have though it were even a possibility a couple weeks ago. He should be a top 2 pick. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Really hoping the Dolphins find a way to land him. Never would have though it were even a possibility a couple weeks ago. He should be a top 2 pick. 
As someone who used to follow the Dolphins I hope this happens too. If he falls as projected he’s going to be an absolute gift to whoever gets him. 

So, yeah. Josh Rosen got a hot tub as a freshman in college, and at some point it was discovered on social media. UCLA asked him to write an apology letter for bringing the thing into his dorm, something Rosen objected to because university regulations never mentioned anything about hot tubs, only water beds (which were prohibited).

“We’re still amateurs, though . . . . Gotta love non-profits. #NCAA.” (Instagram post, since deleted, May 2016)

Earlier in the day, UCLA signed a $280 million shoe and apparel deal with Under Armour, at the time, the largest monetary agreement between a university and athletic wear provider. It was a huge contract both for the university, which saw the value of its partnership jump ahead of competitors like Ohio State and Texas, and for Under Armour, which established a major West Coast outpost for its brand. But Rosen lamented that student athletes couldn’t get a piece of the action, even though they are the ones supplying the on-field talent to back up the partnership’s cash value.

“Look, football and school don’t go together. They just don’t. Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they’re here because this is the path to the NFL. There’s no other way. Then there’s the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements. OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.” (Bleacher Report,  Aug. 2017)

This comes from the guy who wore a “F— Trump” bandanna while golfing on a Trump golf course while the then-candidate was about to lock up the GOP presidential nomination.

C'mon, this guy is awesome.

the Rosen quotes will be epic, but here’s one immediately after the  draft. 

“There were 9 mistakes made ahead of me”

I happen to agree with him sans barkley and Chubb,  both of which should be perennial pro bowlers.  

Josh Rosen - QB - Player

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports teams have concerns with UCLA QB Josh Rosen's commitment level.

"The thing that bothers me with him is that football's not the priority," an offensive coordinator said. "That drives me nuts. That's like taking somebody you're going to bank your next 12 years on, and you're going to have to convince that guy football's the most important thing in his life." Several teams also referenced UCLA coach Jim Mora's comments that Rosen "needs to be challenged" as a red flag. Rosen has the most complete package of the top four quarterbacks, but off-field character has him as a fringe top-10 pick.

Source: NFL Network

Apr 25 - 5:02 PM
I don't know what that coordinator is talking about (most likely, neither does he).  As a UCLA season ticket holder, I saw Rosen make a bunch of fantastic throws to receivers who were pretty allergic to catching the ball and take beating after beating behind offensive lines that specialized in 'lookout' blocks.  I never heard him complain about his teammates or talk about being somewhere else or doing something else.  The guy enrolled at UCLA early, passing on the last half of his senior year of high school so he could have a better chance to start as a freshman.  Football's not a priority for Rosen?  Really?  

My hope is that Rosen can stay healthy, because if he can, there's nothing preventing him from becoming a very good quarterback.  

I don't know what that coordinator is talking about (most likely, neither does he).  As a UCLA season ticket holder, I saw Rosen make a bunch of fantastic throws to receivers who were pretty allergic to catching the ball and take beating after beating behind offensive lines that specialized in 'lookout' blocks.  I never heard him complain about his teammates or talk about being somewhere else or doing something else.  The guy enrolled at UCLA early, passing on the last half of his senior year of high school so he could have a better chance to start as a freshman.  Football's not a priority for Rosen?  Really?  

My hope is that Rosen can stay healthy, because if he can, there's nothing preventing him from becoming a very good quarterback.  
:goodposting:

Still can't believe the Cards were able to land this guy from the mid-first position and only had to give a 3rd and 5th to move up to get him. Thought he was the best overall package at QB in this draft. Compared to recent draft prices to get a "franchise QB" just a steal.

Still can't believe the Cards were able to land this guy from the mid-first position and only had to give a 3rd and 5th to move up to get him. Thought he was the best overall package at QB in this draft. Compared to recent draft prices to get a "franchise QB" just a steal.
Correct 

So Rosen thinks the 49ers, one of the first 9 teams,  made a mistake in passing on him? LOL

Colts and Bears certainly weren't in the market to pay a top 10 QB either.

I get it, draft night puffery, but it made me chuckle.

An underrated factor here, I think, is that I see a lot of similarities in the ways Bradford and Rosen throw/approach the game.

That's going to help Rosen hit the ground running, if Bradford is any kind of willing mentor.  It'll also help the coaches and the team segue effortlessly between the two whenever the time comes to do so (in either direction - be it for reason of development, or reason of injury).

Rosen was already the most plug and play QB in the draft, but that just ramps it up.  That's a big key to me, for a team locked and loaded with a late career Fitz and a recovering DJ.

Good job, Cards!

So Rosen thinks the 49ers, one of the first 9 teams,  made a mistake in passing on him? LOL

Colts and Bears certainly weren't in the market to pay a top 10 QB either.

I get it, draft night puffery, but it made me chuckle.

I really like a kid like this playing with a chip on his shoulder.  I have absolutely no issue with his statement and am not interested in parsing it.  I love the mentality.  People were downgrading him on his passion for the game.  Well, there’s his response.

An underrated factor here, I think, is that I see a lot of similarities in the ways Bradford and Rosen throw/approach the game.

That's going to help Rosen hit the ground running, if Bradford is any kind of willing mentor.  It'll also help the coaches and the team segue effortlessly between the two whenever the time comes to do so (in either direction - be it for reason of development, or reason of injury).

Rosen was already the most plug and play QB in the draft, but that just ramps it up.  That's a big key to me, for a team locked and loaded with a late career Fitz and a recovering DJ.

Good job, Cards!
He might already be better than Bradford to start with. Bradford has the pocket presence of a chicken.

I really like a kid like this playing with a chip on his shoulder.  I have absolutely no issue with his statement and am not interested in parsing it.  I love the mentality.  People were downgrading him on his passion for the game.  Well, there’s his response.

I don't mind the statement either, more the logic of it.....not everyone in front of him needed a QB.

MMQB's Albert Breer reports No. 10 overall pick Josh Rosen "has impressed his coaches" so far.

Breer writes Rosen has been "as advertised with his ability to digest and apply the information he’s being given" and "looks comfortable and poised." Considering the offense he played in at UCLA and his skill set, it is not a surprise Rosen is handling the transition well. Coach Steve Wilks left open the possibility of Rosen starting Week 1 after the draft, and things seem to be headed that direction despite the presence of Sam Bradford.

Source: MMQB 

May 31 - 9:55 AM

I'm surprised there's not more buzz about this guy. he seems to be one of, if not the smartest QB in this class, a film rat, and showing amazing leadership skills. 

IMO, he has the opportunity and potential to be the best qb out of this class and the next big thing. I'm really surprised the hype is on a few other QBs

Users who are viewing this thread