What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How overboard do you go for your kid's birthday? (1 Viewer)

parasaurolophus

Footballguy
My daughter is about to turn 1. We are doing a brunch on Sunday to celebrate with my wife's immediate family. That's it. People seem to think we are crazy. We have been getting questions about where we got the "smash cake"??? What's the theme? A woman at work offered to give my wife "highchair decorations" leftover from her daughters party. 

I did a google search for 1st birthday things to know and came across this checklist . Music playlist???? Tablescapes? 

Yikes. Has it always been this way or is this a social media thing? 

Just about everyone I know usually has their child's first birthday in a catering hall with DJ, food, etc.

When my son turned one, I convinced my wife that wasn't necessary and we had his birthday in her parents backyard and invited a bunch of people. 7 years later and she's still pissed about it and brings it up on occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first and second bdays are not going to be remembered by the child, save your money and avoid themed crap.  Publix can make you a smash cake on the cheap and then get some cupcakes for rest of the crowd.  Screw all of that other stuff, the kid just wants to rip wrapping paper, chew on cardboard, and taste sugar

ETA: when they're 3, then you start with bigger budget parties

We had a cake and family over. I think I had some brews and wine for the adults and snacks for everyone. The theme was "First Birthday Party". Cost me about $100 for maybe 20 people.

We did have a smaller cake for him to tear up. 

This year, on my son's 5th birthday, I took over for my wife - we did Chuck E Cheese, he had a blast, and it was by far the cheapest of any birthday we've had for either kid. 

My younger turns 2 next month, my wife is pushing me on Disney instead of a birthday party, to save money. 

I've just come to the conclusion it's more about letting my wife have fun decorating and making a big theme party.  Kids dont really care, they just want junk food and presents, but it at least gives her something to do

I've just come to the conclusion it's more about letting my wife have fun decorating and making a big theme party.  Kids dont really care, they just want junk food and presents, but it at least gives her something to do
This is absolutely correct... I could just litter a park with a huge $30 bag of Costco candy and the kids would have a blast.

Unfortunately, I'm screwed because both of my kids have birthdays in the winter, so I can't even fight it and say let's just do it in a park or something. 

Just about everyone I know usually has their child's first birthday in a catering hall with DJ, food, etc.

When my son turned one, I convinced my wife that wasn't necessary and we had his birthday in her parents backyard and invited a bunch of people. 7 years later and she's still pissed about it and brings it up on occasion.
Seriously? Is this just one of her "things" or does she hold grudges about lots of stuff. 

When my twins turned 1 we had their party at a local pizza place.   I come from a large family and expected about 50 people to attend.   Long story short, we ended up with closer to 90 

So instead of spending $400, the total bill(including tip) was closer to $1000

we are hosting my youngest ones 5th Birthday this weekend at our home....pizza, beer, and trolls for 20-30

When my twins turned 1 we had their party at a local pizza place.   I come from a large family and expected about 50 people to attend.   Long story short, we ended up with closer to 90 

So instead of spending $400, the total bill(including tip) was closer to $1000

we are hosting my youngest ones 5th Birthday this weekend at our home....pizza, beer, and trolls for 20-30
$500 a kid? You got off easy, IMO... Aiming for $200 a kid is getting a little too close to the sun. 

I'll never forget my older's 1st birthday - my wife spared no expense... Also, as luck would have it; happened to be within 4 degrees of the all-time record low temp that day :thumbup:

The greatest is the one year old birthdays where people spend gobs of money seemingly to prove something.

Meanwhile, the child has zero clue.  What a waste of money and time for all involved.  But the parent's ego gets served.  Amongst their meaningless peers.

Great decision.

Not overboard for either.  Mostly close friends who had kids near the same age.

Did both just at our house...made BBQ, watched the kids shove cake in their face...thats pretty much it.

Mother in law did both cakes (though, she is a cake decorator and makes great cakes...and has now taught my wife who has done the cakes for our kids since then).

Note to those doing the cake shoving in the kids face...go for light colors on the cake.  My son had a John Deere themed cake...his hands and most of his face looked like the hulk for 2 days from the green dye.

No she doesn't hold grudges about anything EXCEPT that.
We're Long instead of Staten, but I think the comparison runs the same around the city. There's a major keeping up with the Jones's that my wife struggles against. It's done under the veneer of what's best for the kid, but I know that the real drive is, "will the folks who had the bounce U b-day party think less of us for doing one in the backyard?"

My wife is already talking about our two year old's party in April. She mentioned Sesame Place. Perhaps chartering a bus. A block of hotel rooms.
Who wouldn't want to get an invite to that party?

:lmao:

No #### that the one year old won't remember it. 1 year old birthday is probably the only one that is for the adults with the mom getting to design the party she wants, so serve drinks and enjoy it.   After that, the kid will get into Mickey or Diego, he/she might have 'friends' from daycare and you'll get used to your annual trip to pick up 8 pizzas from Caeasars or Dominos and it's all down hill from there. 

Around 9 or 10, they stop having the big parties and it's no longer an annual ordeal. 

We're Long instead of Staten, but I think the comparison runs the same around the city. There's a major keeping up with the Jones's that my wife struggles against. It's done under the veneer of what's best for the kid, but I know that the real drive is, "will the folks who had the bounce U b-day party think less of us for doing one in the backyard?"

My wife is already talking about our two year old's party in April. She mentioned Sesame Place. Perhaps chartering a bus. A block of hotel rooms.
:lmao: wait until Mrs @fantasycurse42 finds out about that idea

The first and second bdays are not going to be remembered by the child, save your money and avoid themed crap.  Publix can make you a smash cake on the cheap and then get some cupcakes for rest of the crowd.  Screw all of that other stuff, the kid just wants to rip wrapping paper, chew on cardboard, and taste sugar

ETA: when they're 3, then you start with bigger budget parties
:goodposting:

Pretty straightforward IMO.  Doesn't get complicated until they're in PK4 or kindergarten and some people decide to invite every kid in the class, and then you feel like you have to invite their kid. Those people are screwing it up for everyone.

:lmao:

Man, even just suggesting that would have my blood boiling... literally, I'd have steam coming from my pores.

My kid's first birthday party is next week also. We initially wanted to do a small family thing at a family house in central NJ (just immediate family and kids is about 30 people between our two sides) and then something with friends in town. Problem with the latter was that you can't find a place big enough here that would hold that kind of crowd that doesn't require you to spend thousands.

So we combined everything into one and are just doing it at her sister's house. We invited pretty much everyone because why not at that point and we have like a 97% "yes" RSVP rate  :wall: (oh, that's why). About 90 people which is more than we had at our wedding. We have a music guy coming for 45 minutes and just doing pizza/subs for food so it's not killing me too much from a $$$ standpoint. Dessert is being done free by a friend who has an awesome side business. 

Thankfully my wife hates everything about this big party and is already saying we'll do a small thing with friends for the second birthday.

We're both hoping for a blizzard. 

Both of these facts are crazy.

They got more expensive as she got older.   I think 5-9 were the expensives ones - 3-500

Her first birthday?

Invited a bunch of people to the house and cooked on the grill.

We had some decorations and no theme.  Was basically just a cookout.

We did rent a old time pop corn machine and had a smash cake for her though.  I'd say I spent 150 bucks on frivolous things not including the actual food/beer I served

:goodposting:

Pretty straightforward IMO.  Doesn't get complicated until they're in PK4 or kindergarten and some people decide to invite every kid in the class, and then you feel like you have to invite their kid. Those people are screwing it up for everyone.
Our schools.   From K-4.   If you hand out invitations you have to give one out to everyone.

By about 4th grade though we knew who she wanted to invite so we would do it via email on the side

The first birthday is usually a really big deal for the wife.   Just accept it.   I'd put up more of a fight with any over the top crap for subsequent parties.

One thing that's nice about going over the top for the first birthday is that the kid will always remember it. 

You folks saying 5-9 are the worst have never seen a Sweet Sixteen around NYC. I know several people who have dropped a 5 series on a Sweet Sixteen party.

I think the worst one was for my son's 9th or 10th when we did a group party for 20 at a paintball place. Food, soft drinks, rental equipment. Think it ran me about $500 when it was all said and done.

You folks saying 5-9 are the worst have never seen a Sweet Sixteen around NYC. I know several people who have dropped a 5 series on a Sweet Sixteen party.
probably but we've had a nice break from 11 on so far.

She invites a couple of her friends to sleep over/movie/rock climibg/whatever activity.

My daughter is about to turn 1. We are doing a brunch on Sunday to celebrate with my wife's immediate family. That's it. 
That's pretty much what we've done for all of them. 

My oldest sons turn 15 and 13 today. We're taking them out to dinner. Bought the 13yo an electric razor and clothes, the 15yo a gift card to Amazon. We'll hit the movies or something this weekend, they can take a friend if they choose.

What's wrong with the 5-9 age?   We only do something for kids and friends which involves some type of chuckie cheese like place.  Pretty easy.  

My god, yet another reason not to have kids.....desperate housewives trying to outspend each other.  Please tell me you put your foot down? 

Users who are viewing this thread