What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Beto O'Rourke Thread (3 Viewers)

This sounds like something @Otis or @MrsOtis  would have expert opinions on:

So the Cut convened to discuss whether Beto is A) calf-crampingly attractive, B) an average-looking man who happens to be tall, or C) totally kind of hot.

Stella Bugbee, editor-in-chief: Is Beto attractive? Some of the men in the greater New York Magazine orbit have pointedly “suggested” that the Cut weigh in on the matter. Anecdotally, I gather there seems to be some debate?

Anna Silman, senior culture writer: He is hot for sure.

Hayley Schueneman, beauty writer: Sorry, Anna. That’s wrong. “Floppy” is the adjective I would use to best describe him.

Izzy: I have spent my entire life being attracted to skinny indie rock guys and it’s really weird to see one run for president. I can’t tell if I’m horny for him or just horny for the opportunity to make Fugazi jokes in the year 2019.

Sarah Spellings, fashion news writer: He’d look better if he dyed his hair darker. But he’s hot.

Izzy: See, I find the desire for political power sexually off-putting in the exact same way that I find having been in an El Paso punk band to be sexually appealing, which I think is why Beto has me all scrambled.

Anna: Oh, interesting! I like the blind confidence and authoritativeness of a man in politics. Love a man with a plan. Even if that plan is completely stupid and misguided.

Hayley: Yeah, but I don’t get that vibe from Beto. He feels like he got swept up in something bigger than himself and he’s just riding it out. Not hot.

Kathleen Hou, beauty director: Beto is only attractive to me in a former-athlete-who-rowed-crew kind of way.

Izzy: Well, that’s the other thing. Rowers are tall. Maybe he’s just … tall …?

Aude White, publicist: Men-who-aren’t-attractive-but-are-so-tall-they’re-misconstrued-as-attractive is a real thing.

Allison Davis, feature writer: For me, Beto’s attractiveness is in the details — I weirdly like his extremely long teeth and he has nice feet, as evidenced in that Vanity Fair spread. I zoomed in on his bare feet and sent the picture to friends and said “Beto has nice, smooth feet.”

Stella: Allison. Why didn’t I get that text?

Hayley: He gives me, like, your friend’s weird dad vibes. Like he was the goofy one who would poke his head into your middle-school hangout and say, “You girls having fun?” and you’re like, “Ugh, yes, we are, Mr. O’Rourke.”

Kelly Conaboy, writer-at-large: It’s extremely unattractive how he misinterpreted our desire for him to win his election as a desire for him to try to be president.

Izzy: Yes! I feel like I’ve had an entire one-sided relationship with him over the past eight or nine months. I had such a crush on him, I donated to his campaign, he lost and I was sad … and then after he announced he was running, his campaign texted to ask me to donate again, and I found myself irrationally grossed out.

Hayley: Izzy, he’s the ex you believed in once who wants a second chance.

Kelly: Let it go, man … we don’t like you like that.

Anna: Since we’re opening up, I have to confess I also thought Mitt Romney was kinda hot.

Sarah: OMG me too Anna!

Izzy Grinspan: Wait, really? His favorite meat is hot dog.

Anna: No shame in that.

Sarah: I also thought Paul Ryan was hot in 2012.

Hayley: Paul Ryan was kind of hot to me, too, and I hate myself for it.

Anna: Who was that other guy from Utah running for president? Jon Huntsman. Wasn’t he also kind of hot?

Hayley: Anna, you should do a “Totally Kind of Hot Politician Edition” all by yourself.

Anna: To All The Politicians I Have Loved Before. Netflix, please contact me.

[Cut staffer who insisted on having her name redacted]: I can understand the Mitt appeal, sadly. A completely incompetent and stupid tall man — there is something endearing about that.

Anna: Use your name, you coward!

[Redacted]: I will not go on the record about thinking Mitt Romney could be hot, I’m sorry … this could ruin me. I need to protect the integrity of my mind palace.
Solid 8 in the world of “ugly Hollywood” (DC).

There is something about Beto that just makes me wary of him. Somebody on my other board compared him to Bobby Jindal(sp).

Like he is a rising star, but I don't think he is ready for the big time. Maybe in eight years

Jim Geraghty‏ @jimgeraghty

If Beto had an R after his name instead of a D, you’d hear he was boarding-school-attending judge’s son who dodged serious charges for the DUI & burglary, used eminent domain to gentrify poor Latino neighborhoods & married into a billionaire’s family.

Like he is a rising star, but I don't think he is ready for the big time. Maybe in eight years
Eight years from now, he'll still be a centrist member of the House of Representatives.  Part of his problem is that his political career doesn't have a clear path forward.  

Uffda.

Beto's popularity waning?

Some high school students appeared to have ulterior motives for being there. Julian Wallace, 18, was clad in O'Rourke garb but told the Examiner that he was only wearing it as proof for an extra-credit assignment. His friend Aaron, 17, seemed to be sizing up the competition for his preferred candidate, saying he thought O'Rourke lacked the "big ideas" of former tech executive Andrew Yang...

A number of attendees remarked to the Washington Examiner that O’Rourke’s crowd was smaller than they anticipated, particularly in a city of 75,000 with a major university. The crowd was less than half the size of audiences drawn by O'Rourke's rival, Sen. Bernie Sanders, at similar events in smaller towns...

Spectators noted that O’Rourke’s campaign seemed to struggle getting out information about the event, which was awkwardly timed on a Sunday afternoon when students are attending religious services, participating in extracurricular activities, or nursing a hangover...

With candidates like South Bend Mayor Peter Buttigieg now leading O'Rourke in the polls, his youth no longer gives him an easy contrast with frontrunners, former Vice President Joe Biden and Sanders. While O'Rourke stresses how he's constantly learning on the campaign trail, many voters find Buttigieg's thoughtful style more attractive...

Recent surveys of Iowa voters place O’Rourke towards the bottom of declared Democratic candidates, at 5%, according to the Real Clear Politics average. Buttigieg currently leads O'Rourke in the state at 11%, according to a recent Emerson poll. Iowa will hold the first vote of the 2020 primaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
🤔

How so? I wrote this in the other thread, but I'm not really understanding the backlash against Beto.
I think these 2 kind of occupy the same space. Young, fresh face.

Mayor Pete is just doing it better right now, has been much more impressive in his round of press. He also has a much better back story.

Mayor Pete has been everywhere on TV recently:  Meet the Press, CNN Town hall, Chris Wallace, Bill Maher, etc.  I don't think Beto has done anything like this.  Does he think it's too soon?  He'll get his chance but he's certainly losing his momentum.  

Eight years from now, he'll still be a centrist member of the House of Representatives.  Part of his problem is that his political career doesn't have a clear path forward.  
He’s no longer a member of the House. He’s gonna need to find something to do after he loses in the primary. 

Do you have a personal history with him or something?
Does he impress you in any particular way? Perhaps it's all of his accomplishments? His manufactured delivery? Do you like the way he stands on tables? Maybe it's the way he re-phrases crowd questions so that he doesn't have to take a tough stance?

Does he impress you in any particular way? Perhaps it's all of his accomplishments? His manufactured delivery? Do you like the way he stands on tables? Maybe it's the way he re-phrases crowd questions so that he doesn't have to take a tough stance?

Its strange to hear that criticism of him. He took lots of positions when running against Ted Cruz.

• Most famously, his stance supporting NFL players. And he did that in a Texas Senate race. 
  • He just said the other day he would support a slavery reparations committee.
  • He called Netanyahu a racist.
  • He dealt with his DUIs straight on, without trying to spin it.
  • In addition to supporting the Dream Act and a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, he has called for the closing of private immigrant detention centers, denounced the “militarization” of immigration enforcement and spoken out against the wall.
  • He continues to support  universal background checks, magazine size limits, and restrictions on some semiautomatic weapons
  • He  spoke positively about the Green New Deal, calling it technically and logistically doable.
  • He called for closing private and for-profit prisons, decriminalizing marijuana and expunging the records of people previously convicted of possessing it, eliminating mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent crimes, and reforming the bail system so people charged with misdemeanors would not be incarcerated because of their inability to pay.
  • He also emphasized rehabilitation for offenders released from prison, including the restoration of voting rights. 
  • He  has criticized Mr. Trump’s trade policies, including the imposition of tariffs, which have hurt some farmers and blue-collar workers. In his Senate campaign, he emphasized the needs of farmers, calling for a stronger crop insurance program and federal investments in rural infrastructure, including high-speed internet, roads and schools.

So I guess I get that some people don't like him. But I don't totally get the all hat no cattle critique.

I just listened to the 90 minute podcast with David Axelrod.  

We usually hear Beto talk during stump speeches so it's nice to hear him away from that.  Lots of interesting stuff about his background including The Cult of the Dead Cow, the drunk driving incident and the death of his father.  

Why is it is seems like the further left these politicians are the harder they hold on to their own wallets?  They want to forcibly extract huge sums to pay for their "free" this or that, but on a voluntary basis... not so much.  1k charitable contributions on 370k of income is shameful if one is pursuing public service.

Drawing firm conclusions about someone’s generosity from his tax returns is precarious because there are an awful lot of ways to donate one’s time or money to good causes that don’t involve writing a check to a tax-exempt organization.

Drawing firm conclusions about someone’s generosity from his tax returns is precarious because there are an awful lot of ways to donate one’s time or money to good causes that don’t involve writing a check to a tax-exempt organization.
Agreed. Do you feel the same about a company like Amazon? 

Agreed. Do you feel the same about a company like Amazon? 
Are we still talking about tax-deductible donations, or are you asking about Amazon’s tax liability? If the latter, I’m against state and local governments giving tax breaks or other special benefits to specific, targeted companies. (The same would obviously be true for federal income tax breaks as well, but I don’t think that’s relevant to Amazon. The reason Amazon hasn’t paid much federal income tax so far is that it hasn’t had much net income so far.)

Are we still talking about tax-deductible donations, or are you asking about Amazon’s tax liability? If the latter, I’m against state and local governments giving tax breaks or other special benefits to specific, targeted companies. (The same would obviously be true for federal income tax breaks as well, but I don’t think that’s relevant to Amazon. The reason Amazon hasn’t paid much federal income tax so far is that it hasn’t had much net income so far.)
More the second... but food for thought on Amazon. I'm sure there is an economic term for it, but is passing a saving to increase the quality of life for users a fair substitute for taxes?

In today's world almost everyone can afford flat screen TVs. So is it a net benefit to the country if a $800 dollar TV now costs $1000 and amazon pays the $200 difference on the back half to the government. Or should we leave buying power and fluid wealth to the consumer?

Thinking of all the good work the Trump Foundation did warms my soul.

So we now know Beto lied about his first day numbers. He mixed in money raised for the general election, which he can't spend unless he gets the nomination, with money raised for the primary so he could say he beat Bernie. Bernie didn't report monies raised for the general amongst his first 24 hours total.  Beto was not the only one to do this. We also know now that Beto is still taking money from oil lobbyists. 

Interestingly enough Pete has been raising money but due to the timing of his announcement we won't get any details until the next reporting deadline. Purely coincidental I'm sure. Nothing to do with raising money from bundlers.

So we now know Beto lied about his first day numbers. He mixed in money raised for the general election, which he can't spend unless he gets the nomination, with money raised for the primary so he could say he beat Bernie. Bernie didn't report monies raised for the general amongst his first 24 hours total.  Beto was not the only one to do this. We also know now that Beto is still taking money from oil lobbyists. 

Interestingly enough Pete has been raising money but due to the timing of his announcement we won't get any details until the next reporting deadline. Purely coincidental I'm sure. Nothing to do with raising money from bundlers.
Is there a level of small donor support that Pete could hit that would mollify you?

I'm not suggesting you're unable to be pleased with anything less than 100% small donor funded campaigns, but I'm truly curious whether anything short of what Bernie's doing can suffice.

Is there a level of small donor support that Pete could hit that would mollify you?

I'm not suggesting you're unable to be pleased with anything less than 100% small donor funded campaigns, but I'm truly curious whether anything short of what Bernie's doing can suffice.
I dont think Pete is going to prioritize small donors at all. I think he will be very happy to take big donations. I think he is a third wayer.

Count me as one surprised he didn't do better. I thought after the Senate race he was ready to make some noise. Seemed charismatic and ready.

How much do you think his strong stance on gun control with the "Hell yes, we're coming for your AR 15's" was an issue? I can see how that might not have worked in the general election but I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem at this point. 

Count me as one surprised he didn't do better. I thought after the Senate race he was ready to make some noise. Seemed charismatic and ready.

How much do you think his strong stance on gun control with the "Hell yes, we're coming for your AR 15's" was an issue? I can see how that might not have worked in the general election but I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem at this point. 
Thats a quote that will haunt dems for ten years.  This guy ran scorched earth looking for a liferaft and that quote is going to raise millions as it removed any doubt of intentions in at least some segment of the democratic party.   As such I wouldn't be surprised if he got Private Pyle'ed out of there

His campaign was effectively over before that - he was just trying to gain any traction he could.

He, and he is not alone, simply got out-worked on the campaign trail.

I can’t shake the feeling that something specific happened behind the scenes here. The timing is just so odd. 

He was in Des Moines for the dinner. His wife apparently was not there. I wonder if he literally ran out of money and could not pay his tab for the dinner - I am assuming each candidate had to make some contribution to the Iowa Democratic Party to get a speaking gig. 

Users who are viewing this thread