Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Evilgrin 72

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

For a team that doesn’t draft based on needs, they sure drafted all of their positions of need. 

How many of these dudes make the 53?  Wish they traded for Gould!  

• Like 1

They did hit all of their need spots. It just remains to be seen if they picked the right guys at those spots.  Still don’t know what caused Harmon to drop and wish we’d taken a flier on him.  They must feel pretty confident in Washington to only grab a slot guy.  

8 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

John Bostic cut

He probably put his house on the market the moment Bush's name left Mean Joe's mouth.

PFF Gives Steelers "above average" grade

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Round 1 (10): LB Devin Bush, Michigan

Round 2 (66): WR Diontae Johnson, Toledo

Round 3 (83): CB Justin Layne, Michigan State

Round 4 (122): RB Benny Snell, Kentucky

Round 5 (141): TE Zach Gentry, Michigan

Round 6 (175): Edge Sutton Smith, Northern Illinois

Round 6 (192): DL Isaiah Buggs, Alabama

Round 6 (192): LB Ulysees Gilbert, Akron

Round 7 (219): OT Derwin Gray, Maryland

Day 1: 

The Steelers had to give up picks Nos. 20 and 52 in the 2019 NFL Draft and a third-rounder in the 2020 NFL Draft to get him, but former Michigan off-ball linebacker Devin Bush has a very good chance to be worth the extra draft capital if he can bring his play in Ann Arbor to Pittsburgh. He is a freakishly athletic linebacker with outstanding coverage and pass-rushing ability compared to his peers in this year’s class. He’s also a tone-setter on the defensive side of the ball who craves contact and knows how to lay the boom. He also earned 90.2 and 85.0 overall grades in 2017 and 2018, respectively.

“I think Bush is perfect for what the Steelers want from the linebacker position.” – Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Day 2:

A favorite of practically everyone at the PFF offices, Toledo wide receiver Diontae Johnson is a superb route runner that will be a nightmare for opposing defensive backs to match and mirror at the next level. Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner says it best in that “Johnson just moves differently.” Production fell off a bit for Johnson when AAF superstar Logan Woodside left Toledo after the 2017 season, but Big Ben should help DJ return to form in Pittsburgh.

Michigan State cornerback Justin Layne’s 89.5 coverage grade last year was ninth-best among Power-5 corners in the nation. Pegged as PFF’s No. 39 overall player in the class, Layne is quite the steal for the Steelers at pick No. 83.

Day 3:

Likely too small to play edge defender at the next level, the 6-foot, 233-pound Sutton Smith should make the transition to off-ball linebacker and bring pass-rush upside in the NFL. He recorded 65 total pressures as an edge defender with Northern Illinois in 2018, good for the second-most pressures in the FBS. He finished the pre-draft process ranked 199th in the class.

After earning a 78.0 overall grade and an 89.2 run-defense grade in 2017, Alabama’s Isaiah Buggs regressed in a larger role in 2018. Predominantly playing edge defender, he earned a 71.6 overall grade and a 74.7 run-defense grade across 747 defensive snaps this past season.

DRAFT GRADE: ABOVE AVERAGE

3 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

What are the FA signings?

Dravon Askew-Henry, S, West Virginia
Ian Berryman, P, Western Carolina
Garrett Brumfield, G, LSU
Jay Hayes, DE, Georgia
Fred Johnson, G, Florida
Travon McMillan, RB, Colorado
Alexander Myres, CB, Houston
Chris Nelson, DT, Texas
Trevor Wood, TE/LS, Texas A&M
Matthew Wright, K, Central Florida

Jay Hayes, DL Georgia

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Evan Silva gives us a D. 

Chad Reuter at nfl.com...

Day 1 grade: A- 
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: B
Overall grade: A-

Posted (edited)

Nate Davis USA Today: C

SI gave A-

Edited by JoeSteeler

Posted (edited)

Some if these grades apparently take into account the poor return for AB though. Which is dumb. 

So what is your projected 53 now?

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins

5 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Some if these grades apparently take into account the poor return for AB though. Which is dumb. 

:goodposting:

On 4/27/2019 at 8:52 PM, JoeSteeler said:

John Bostic cut

$1.8 million cap savings which I am sure is badly needed

• Like 1

Ultimately, the success of this draft will largely be determined by the impact Bush has on the defense.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Franknbeans said:

Ultimately, the success of this draft will largely be determined by the impact Bush has on the defense.

Agreed but I think Layne and Johnson could make significant contributions as rookies too.

• Like 1

1.       Ben

2.       Dobbs

3.       Rudolph

4.       Connor

5.       Samuels

6.       Snell

7.       Nix

8.       JuJu

9.       Moncrief

10.   Washington

11.   Johnson

12.   Rogers

13.   Switz

14.   Pouncey

15.   Decastro

16.   Foster

17.   Villa

18.   Feiler

19.   Chuks

20.   Finney

21.   Hawkins

22.   Gray

23.   Vance

24.   X

25.   Gentry

26.   Cam

27.   Hargrave

28.   Tuitt

29.   Tyson

30.   McCullers

31.   Buggs

32.   Bush

33.   Williams

34.   Barron

35.   TJ

36.   Bud

37.   Chick

38.   Ola

39.   Sutton

40.   Ulysses

41.   Matakevich

42.   Haden

43.   Nelson

44.   Hilton

45.   Layne

46.   Davis

47.   Edmonds

48.   Sutton

49.   Tocho

50.   Marcus Allen

51.   Boswell

52.   Berry

53.   Canaday

• Like 1

Methinks Rogers is not long for this team. Switzer, Johnson and Rogers are similar players.

49 minutes ago, Franknbeans said:

Methinks Rogers is not long for this team. Switzer, Johnson and Rogers are similar players.

Ben likes Eli and Switz though and Switz can line up in the backfield and return. Johnson can move around.  Optionality. 

18 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

thx good read. from that article:

At Ohio State, linebacker Ryan Shazier wore number 10.

At Michigan, linebacker Devin Bush wore number 10.

In the first round of this draft, Bush was pick number 10.

Hearing  the Steelers had a first round grade on Diontae Johnson got me thinking about the failed trade with Buffalo for AB. If the trade with Buffalo had gone through, the Steelers would have had 1.9 which would have been Devon Bush. They would still have their 2nd which would probably have been Johnson. They would have had their 2020 3rd (hopefully late) instead of 5.3 this year which turned into Gentry. So if this is how it would have played out, the failed trade with Buffalo really didn't cost them that much. 

1 hour ago, steeler6 said:

Hearing  the Steelers had a first round grade on Diontae Johnson got me thinking about the failed trade with Buffalo for AB. If the trade with Buffalo had gone through, the Steelers would have had 1.9 which would have been Devon Bush. They would still have their 2nd which would probably have been Johnson. They would have had their 2020 3rd (hopefully late) instead of 5.3 this year which turned into Gentry. So if this is how it would have played out, the failed trade with Buffalo really didn't cost them that much. 

They would have still had a pick at 20.  They could have Bush and Noah Fant.

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

They would have still had a pick at 20.  They could have Bush and Noah Fant.

No. They were swapping firsts. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

No. They were swapping firsts. 

didn't realize this.

I misrembered.  Still, I think this underestimates the impact of the missed opportunity.

He won't play anything like him but you gotta like his moxie.

I doubt they use a true RBBC.  I do expect Connor to get more rest in general though and also think that Samuels will line up at TE or an H-Back more often as well, given our TE depth.  

Conner will be the main man, again, Snell will be a short yardage guy or goal line guy at first.  Not sold Snell has the quickness to do what Conner does.  Samuels will be a 3rd down back, might get more carries than Snell this year.  Its a good situation they have now with 3 competent RBs.   Hopefully they stay healthy.

Several days later and I still wish we took Kelvin Harmon over Sutton Smith. I don't see Smith making the team unless it's on Special Teams, and I think that Harmon would have been a big upgrade over Rogers. 

21 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

Several days later and I still wish we took Kelvin Harmon over Sutton Smith. I don't see Smith making the team unless it's on Special Teams, and I think that Harmon would have been a big upgrade over Rogers. 

Maybe but with JuJu, Washington, Moncrief, Johnson, Switzer & Rogers I think they have WR covered.   Smith may be a long shot but Harmon would be too and likely end up on the practice squad.   And Smith could be a difference maker on special teams, Harmon not so much.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:09 PM, JoeSteeler said:

Saw the clip of the Bengals trying to move from #11 to #9. But the Bills had a high grade on their eventual pick (Ed Oliver) and weren't moving if he got to them.   :cool:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

Steelers cut Keion Adams, I guess the hopes of him developing into a pass rusher are gone. 

Moving on to new projects in Sutton Smith and Ulysses Gilbert.

• Like 1

(This is also being discussed in the L Bell thread)

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports coach Adam Gase "absolutely did not want to sign" Le'Veon Bell this offseason.

This should go over well inside Jets headquarters. Anyway, this is believed to be one of the big -- if not the biggest -- disagreements between Gase and now-fired GM Mike Maccagnan. Maccagnan was the one making the calls on the Bell signing and the outrageous contract handed out to off-ball ILB C.J. Mosley. Mehta adds that Gase "didn't want to spend a lot of money on any running back." As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport puts it, Gase likes Bell as a player but isn't a fan of the money part of it.

1 hour ago, BigSteelThrill said:

(This is also being discussed in the L Bell thread)

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports coach Adam Gase "absolutely did not want to sign" Le'Veon Bell this offseason.

This should go over well inside Jets headquarters. Anyway, this is believed to be one of the big -- if not the biggest -- disagreements between Gase and now-fired GM Mike Maccagnan. Maccagnan was the one making the calls on the Bell signing and the outrageous contract handed out to off-ball ILB C.J. Mosley. Mehta adds that Gase "didn't want to spend a lot of money on any running back." As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport puts it, Gase likes Bell as a player but isn't a fan of the money part of it.

Bell is now a Jet, why is this information relevant in the Steelers thread?  I'll share the sense of schadenfreude if Bell under-performs his contract but let's not clog the thread with Bell/Brown nonsense.  The Steelers are moving on from that drama and I hope we can as well in this thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steeler said:

Bell is now a Jet, why is this information relevant in the Steelers thread?  I'll share the sense of schadenfreude if Bell under-performs his contract but let's not clog the thread with Bell/Brown nonsense.  The Steelers are moving on from that drama and I hope we can as well in this thread.

Speaking of moving on: https://twitter.com/statsguydaniel/status/1128833880688091136?s=21

I oNlY wEnT tO hIs HoUsE tWiCe....

Steelers testing out Sutton Smith at FB, he's still wearing a defensive jersey, but he got some snaps at FB and there's at least 1 vid of him catching out of the backfield. He played RB in HS and came to college as a RB before moving to DE. It'll be interesting to see if Sutton and Roosevelt compete for the FB job, or if they'll let him try his hand at pass rushing. I don't see them letting a player be dual offense and defense, but if he can take a hold of the FB role that would allow for some small cap savings. 

Excited to see how they put this offense together. Seems to be a lot of young interchangeable pieces. If the line stays healthy, Ben should be slinging it all over again. 

• Like 1

Are there any tight ends out there still that could fit or do we think that Jaylen Samuels might line up a bit as a TE/H-back type?

9 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Are there any tight ends out there still that could fit or do we think that Jaylen Samuels might line up a bit as a TE/H-back type?

Define "fit."

Regardless, the answer is probably "Not really."   Scrubs like Gresham and Sims top the list of available guys.  Or if they're after a guy who gets drunk and slugs a plate glass windows, there's always Ryan Griffin! (Hey, what's Jeff Reed doing these days?  Steelers could use some comeptition at K and he and Griffin could go take out all manner of stuff on drunken punchfests.)

5 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Define "fit."

Regardless, the answer is probably "Not really."   Scrubs like Gresham and Sims top the list of available guys.  Or if they're after a guy who gets drunk and slugs a plate glass windows, there's always Ryan Griffin! (Hey, what's Jeff Reed doing these days?  Steelers could use some comeptition at K and he and Griffin could go take out all manner of stuff on drunken punchfests.)

https://youtu.be/HRsEdJztB1s

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

This may be the best thing ever placed on YouTube.

I have made no secret in the past of my utter man-love for Jeff Reed. Yes, he was a raging alcoholic.  Yes, he liked to run around shirtless far too much for his own good. Yes, he'd punch men's room appliances like they were some tomato can from the 'hood.  Yes, he had that effed up hairdo that one year.  I don't care.  Reed is an absolute fringe lunatic and I love him for it.

If it's possible, I may officially love "Fat Jeff Reed From You Tube" even more than "Paper Towel Dispenser Punchin'/Topless Wingman Jeff Reed From the Early '00s."

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

This may be the best thing ever placed on YouTube.

I have made no secret in the past of my utter man-love for Jeff Reed. Yes, he was a raging alcoholic.  Yes, he liked to run around shirtless far too much for his own good. Yes, he'd punch men's room appliances like they were some tomato can from the 'hood.  Yes, he had that effed up hairdo that one year.  I don't care.  Reed is an absolute fringe lunatic and I love him for it.

If it's possible, I may officially love "Fat Jeff Reed From You Tube" even more than "Paper Towel Dispenser Punchin'/Topless Wingman Jeff Reed From the Early '00s."

My friend wrote, produced, starred in, and directed this. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

My friend wrote, produced, starred in, and directed this. 

They should make it into a series.  Get Reed to bring back the "Heat Miser" hair.