What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

Conner will be the main man, again, Snell will be a short yardage guy or goal line guy at first.  Not sold Snell has the quickness to do what Conner does.  Samuels will be a 3rd down back, might get more carries than Snell this year.  Its a good situation they have now with 3 competent RBs.   Hopefully they stay healthy.

Several days later and I still wish we took Kelvin Harmon over Sutton Smith. I don't see Smith making the team unless it's on Special Teams, and I think that Harmon would have been a big upgrade over Rogers. 

Several days later and I still wish we took Kelvin Harmon over Sutton Smith. I don't see Smith making the team unless it's on Special Teams, and I think that Harmon would have been a big upgrade over Rogers. 
Maybe but with JuJu, Washington, Moncrief, Johnson, Switzer & Rogers I think they have WR covered.   Smith may be a long shot but Harmon would be too and likely end up on the practice squad.   And Smith could be a difference maker on special teams, Harmon not so much.

(This is also being discussed in the L Bell thread)

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports coach Adam Gase "absolutely did not want to sign" Le'Veon Bell this offseason.

This should go over well inside Jets headquarters. Anyway, this is believed to be one of the big -- if not the biggest -- disagreements between Gase and now-fired GM Mike Maccagnan. Maccagnan was the one making the calls on the Bell signing and the outrageous contract handed out to off-ball ILB C.J. Mosley. Mehta adds that Gase "didn't want to spend a lot of money on any running back." As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport puts it, Gase likes Bell as a player but isn't a fan of the money part of it.

(This is also being discussed in the L Bell thread)

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports coach Adam Gase "absolutely did not want to sign" Le'Veon Bell this offseason.

This should go over well inside Jets headquarters. Anyway, this is believed to be one of the big -- if not the biggest -- disagreements between Gase and now-fired GM Mike Maccagnan. Maccagnan was the one making the calls on the Bell signing and the outrageous contract handed out to off-ball ILB C.J. Mosley. Mehta adds that Gase "didn't want to spend a lot of money on any running back." As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport puts it, Gase likes Bell as a player but isn't a fan of the money part of it.
Bell is now a Jet, why is this information relevant in the Steelers thread?  I'll share the sense of schadenfreude if Bell under-performs his contract but let's not clog the thread with Bell/Brown nonsense.  The Steelers are moving on from that drama and I hope we can as well in this thread.

Steelers testing out Sutton Smith at FB, he's still wearing a defensive jersey, but he got some snaps at FB and there's at least 1 vid of him catching out of the backfield. He played RB in HS and came to college as a RB before moving to DE. It'll be interesting to see if Sutton and Roosevelt compete for the FB job, or if they'll let him try his hand at pass rushing. I don't see them letting a player be dual offense and defense, but if he can take a hold of the FB role that would allow for some small cap savings. 

Are there any tight ends out there still that could fit or do we think that Jaylen Samuels might line up a bit as a TE/H-back type?
Define "fit."

Regardless, the answer is probably "Not really."   Scrubs like Gresham and Sims top the list of available guys.  Or if they're after a guy who gets drunk and slugs a plate glass windows, there's always Ryan Griffin! (Hey, what's Jeff Reed doing these days?  Steelers could use some comeptition at K and he and Griffin could go take out all manner of stuff on drunken punchfests.)

Define "fit."

Regardless, the answer is probably "Not really."   Scrubs like Gresham and Sims top the list of available guys.  Or if they're after a guy who gets drunk and slugs a plate glass windows, there's always Ryan Griffin! (Hey, what's Jeff Reed doing these days?  Steelers could use some comeptition at K and he and Griffin could go take out all manner of stuff on drunken punchfests.)
https://youtu.be/HRsEdJztB1s

This may be the best thing ever placed on YouTube.

I have made no secret in the past of my utter man-love for Jeff Reed. Yes, he was a raging alcoholic.  Yes, he liked to run around shirtless far too much for his own good. Yes, he'd punch men's room appliances like they were some tomato can from the 'hood.  Yes, he had that effed up hairdo that one year.  I don't care.  Reed is an absolute fringe lunatic and I love him for it.

If it's possible, I may officially love "Fat Jeff Reed From You Tube" even more than "Paper Towel Dispenser Punchin'/Topless Wingman Jeff Reed From the Early '00s."

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be the best thing ever placed on YouTube.

I have made no secret in the past of my utter man-love for Jeff Reed. Yes, he was a raging alcoholic.  Yes, he liked to run around shirtless far too much for his own good. Yes, he'd punch men's room appliances like they were some tomato can from the 'hood.  Yes, he had that effed up hairdo that one year.  I don't care.  Reed is an absolute fringe lunatic and I love him for it.

If it's possible, I may officially love "Fat Jeff Reed From You Tube" even more than "Paper Towel Dispenser Punchin'/Topless Wingman Jeff Reed From the Early '00s."
My friend wrote, produced, starred in, and directed this. 

They should make it into a series.  Get Reed to bring back the "Heat Miser" hair.
They should have filmed what they did after the shoot until 6am ....

they said he was a little crazy but a really good guy and a good sport about the whole thing and was into it. 

Juju is doing some great PR stuff and he seems genuine. But I hope he is putting the work in too because AB looks freaking JACKED in oakland. 

Juju is doing some great PR stuff and he seems genuine. But I hope he is putting the work in too because AB looks freaking JACKED in oakland. 
AB has always worked harder than everyone else, I don't really expect Juju to match his drive since it's almost unheard of throughout the NFL. Also, I don't see how a WR in Oakland being in good shape has any affect on our WR corps...

Juju is definitely putting in work, but it makes me happy to see his engagement with Pittsburgh because it makes me think that the pressure of AB leaving isn't getting to him. We don't want him to get the yips like Bos last year. 

Doesn't matter what Brown looks like. He still plays for the raiders & has Carr throwing him the ball. That situation screams disaster.

Currently the Steelers rank dead last in the NFL in regards to cap space with a whopping $26.6 in dead money (mainly due to the AB trade).    The good news is the Steelers used up the cap room signing players they felt they needed to fill the holes.  However having little more than $1 million doesn't leave much room to sign any additional FAs if they need to without restructuring.   

Here are some potential salary cap camp casualties:   K Chris Boswell ($1 million),  CB Artie Burns ($1.75 million),  DE Tyson Alualu ($1.25 million),  P Jordan Berry ($1.15 million), WR Eli Rogers (1.25 million), TE Xavier Gimble ($2.025 million), DT Daniel McCullers ($1 million)

Of these I think Burns & Rogers are most likely

Currently the Steelers rank dead last in the NFL in regards to cap space with a whopping $26.6 in dead money (mainly due to the AB trade).    The good news is the Steelers used up the cap room signing players they felt they needed to fill the holes.  However having little more than $1 million doesn't leave much room to sign any additional FAs if they need to without restructuring.   

Here are some potential salary cap camp casualties:   K Chris Boswell ($1 million),  CB Artie Burns ($1.75 million),  DE Tyson Alualu ($1.25 million),  P Jordan Berry ($1.15 million), WR Eli Rogers (1.25 million), TE Xavier Gimble ($2.025 million), DT Daniel McCullers ($1 million)

Burns is due an $800,000 bonus on the first day of training camp. Maybe they will try and push that back like the did the $2M for Boswell?

I think that McCullers is pretty likely if our AAF or Rookie work out. I hope they don't cut Alualu, he was fairly reliable last year when we needed him to step in. Not spectacular, but solid.

Any chance we could trade Burns for a 7th rounder or something?

So what did they tell Boswell?  They were going to cut him prior to the roster bonus, but if he agreed to defer it, he could win his job back and earn it?

What do the Steelers do if Trey Edmunds shows he deserves a roster spot?

I hope Artie Burns shows he can still play close to his talent. Need all the depth we can get back there. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
What do the Steelers do if Trey Edmunds shows he deserves a roster spot?

I hope Artie Burns shows he can still play close to his talent. Need all the depth we can get back there. 
Have they ever kept 5 RBs?  I can't see them not keeping any of the other 4.

Artie isn't terrible as CB5/6.  He's just not a good CB1/2/3

So far this offseason >  :tumbleweed:

It's been great and hope it continues!
The only news has been Conner saying he wants to share the load with the other RBs. Literally, a player saying that he wants to do whatever is best for the team. That's the biggest news, since it's fantasy relevant. This offseason has been great so far. 

Steelers extend Tomlin's contract according to Teresa Varley of  Steelers.com

Stability.

In sports it’s something that doesn’t come easily.

For the Steelers, it’s a staple.

That became evident again today when Coach Mike Tomlin was signed to a one-year extension, keeping him through at least the 2021 season.

“I am pleased to announce we have extended Mike Tomlin’s contract through the 2021 season,” said Steelers President Art Rooney II. “Mike is one of the most successful head coaches in the National Football League, and we are confident in his leadership to continue to lead our team as we pursue our goal of winning another championship.”

Tomlin, who was hired on January 22, 2007, will be entering his 13th season as the Steelers head coach. He is only the third coach the team has had since 1969, joining Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher on that exclusive list.

“I am very appreciative of this contract extension and opportunity and want to thank Art Rooney II and everyone in the organization for the support in my first 12 seasons,” said Tomlin. “We have a goal of winning the organization’s seventh Super Bowl championship, and I couldn’t be more excited about this upcoming season.”

Tomlin, 47, has guided the Steelers to two Super Bowl appearances. He became the youngest coach in NFL history to not only lead his team to the Super Bowl, but also win it when the Steelers defeated the Arizona Cardinals, 27-23, in Super Bowl XLIII.

The Steelers have won six AFC North Division titles under Tomlin. Under his guidance the Steelers have made the playoffs eight times and played in the Super Bowl twice, Super Bowl XLIII and Super Bowl XLV.

In the regular season Tomlin has led the Steelers to a 125-66-1 record in 12 seasons, reaching 100 career wins in the fewest games (157) in team history and the best start by a coach in team history. He joined Noll and Cowher as the third coach in Steelers history to reach 100 regular season wins, and the Steelers became the first franchise in NFL history to have three different head coaches reach that 100-win milestone. He also became the eighth head coach in NFL history to win 100 games (regular season) in their first 10 seasons.

Tomlin and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have set a Steelers record with 115 regular season wins, the most ever by a head coach-quarterback combination in team history. They broke the record set by Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw. The 115 wins are the fourth-most by a head coach-quarterback duo in the NFL.
I know a lot of Steelers fans don't like Tomlin but I think it is the right move.

What message was sent?  Any extension can be seen as positive.  However it is a 1 year deal with an option year instead of the normal 2 year extension like the last couple times (2015, 2017).  Probably best not to read too much into it.

Just saw that TJ Watt was put on PUP list, ugh. Hope it is not to serious. I have a good feeling about this season, not sure why but I hope it doesn't start getting derailed before it starts. 

There's a story about Colbert not being extended and him saying that he'd prefer to go year-to-year from now on. Hopefully this is a bunch of smoke with nothing behind it, but the offseason rumor tree is talking about Tepper trying to steal him down to Carolina. In Colbert we trust, but I think that if Omar Khan has to step into the GM role that he'll do a fine job. 

Colbert could just be wanting to go year to year  because he's getting old.  Dude's in his 60s and not everyone is a a #### Lebeau that wants to do the NFL slog until they're in their 80s.

*Good rookie day: Diontae Johnson w/ nifty TD at GL, Justin Layne/Devin Bush solid, Benny Snell held own in pass pro *Steelers (QB included) pleased w/ Donte Moncrief, believe they have something *Artie Burns secured $800K roster bonus and INT on same day
Jeremy Fowler on twitter

Users who are viewing this thread