What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Ridiculous Schedule, Cam Hayward misses OTAs (8 Viewers)

That is a brutal schedule.
We can easily start 7-1 and miss the playoffs..
But with 4 out of the first 6 games on the road, that isn’t happening.

We really got screwed.
A really late bye would have helped. Or spreading out the division games even a little. I know the NFL was trying to keep division games late to spice up the end of the season but we got extra screwed.
  • Steelers, 6 division games in final 8, 4 in final 6.
  • Ravens, 4 division games in final 8, but 2 in final 6.
  • Browns, 4 division games in final 8, but 3 in final 6.
  • Bengals, 4 division games in final 8, but 3 in final 6. (only because they play us twice)
  • Chiefs, 3 division games in final 8
  • Bills, 3 division games in final 8
  • 49ers, 3 division games in final 8
We have it the worst.

That is a brutal schedule.
We can easily start 7-1 and miss the playoffs..
But with 4 out of the first 6 games on the road, that isn’t happening.

We really got screwed.
Outside Dallas maybe, just on't know if there is a team I fear in the first half of the schedule.. Jets have Rodgers, but he is a year older and hasn't had contact since week 1 last year.
Commanders,. Giants,. Broncos, and Falcons should be wins. Especially with our D.

Chargers and Colts just aren't teams I fear.

I'm really tired of the Treylon Burks rumors. Steelers shouldn't trade for him unless the Titans want to salary dump him(Titans take on some of his salary) and exchange 7th round picks. Then kick the tires on him and if he doesn't produce cut him.

I'd like to see the Steeler's sign Michael Thomas although he's more a possession receiver. But I'm hoping MT doesn't sign with the Chiefs.

Here's a good article talking about 3 WR fighting for one roster spot. I know a number of posts here have pretty much already discussed this subject matter. Although CA probably will be the front runner due to his punt return capabilities.
Is Thomas even worth getting? The dude gets hurt getting up in the morning it seems..

Not going to lie, Burks intrigues me, he is young and seems to have a lot of talent. The QB situation in Tennessee just hasn't been good.
Burks has a lot of athletic ability, but I am not sure he has much talent as a WR. They need someone who can get open. I don't think he makes any sense. Although if they add him for next to nothing and it doesn't stop the pursuit of a real 2, ten great.

I'm really having mixed thoughts on the Cam Heyward situation. He's playing on the final year of his contract at 22.4 million his salary accounts for 8.7 percent of the salary cap. He has made comments that he won't take a pay cut. He's just outside of the top 10 paid defensive tackles. He's meant a lot to the team and has been productive for most of his career. But in my mind, he has 2 things going against him. Injuries and age. But I truly believe that Cam and the Steelers need to meet somewhere in the middle on a fair contract for both sides. Productivity for defensive tackles starts to fall off in their early 30's. This is like a topic that a huge part of me doesn't want to bring up because I really like Cam. But this is the NFL. Not for long league and as players age their productivity decreases.

Booked my room in Denver for Week 2 for my annual away game pilgrimage.

I don't know what it is. Technically I'm not a Russell Wilson fan. I personally think he is a Prima Donna of for a period of time he was. I will of course root for him since he is a Pittsburgh Steeler. But if there's one game that I want to see the Pittsburgh Steeler's win and/or blow out a team. It's against the Denver Broncos. The guys on WFAN radio station have further fueled my dislike for Sean Peyton. I envy you going to Denver to see if firsthand.

I'm really having mixed thoughts on the Cam Heyward situation. He's playing on the final year of his contract at 22.4 million his salary accounts for 8.7 percent of the salary cap. He has made comments that he won't take a pay cut. He's just outside of the top 10 paid defensive tackles. He's meant a lot to the team and has been productive for most of his career. But in my mind, he has 2 things going against him. Injuries and age. But I truly believe that Cam and the Steelers need to meet somewhere in the middle on a fair contract for both sides. Productivity for defensive tackles starts to fall off in their early 30's. This is like a topic that a huge part of me doesn't want to bring up because I really like Cam. But this is the NFL. Not for long league and as players age their productivity decreases.
I'm still in the camp of extend Heyward. He has been playing at an incredible level the last few years even in his 30s and was only held back last year due to his groin injury. He has 0 incentive to take a pay cut this season and I would not be surprised at all by 3 more years of high quality play. I would extend him for 2 years with an out after the 2nd year (aka contract through 2026 season with an out after 2025) mainly in case of serious injury degrading his play.

Great teams need great leaders and he is one of the most solid leaders we have on the team. If we're trying to make a push in the next few years (even with the question marks at QB) then I think we need a presence like his on and off the field. I think his extension would be something like $18 million per year. That's a lot for a DT at his age, but also decently less than the top of the market contracts.

I'm still in the camp of extend Heyward. He has been playing at an incredible level the last few years even in his 30s and was only held back last year due to his groin injury. He has 0 incentive to take a pay cut this season and I would not be surprised at all by 3 more years of high quality play. I would extend him for 2 years with an out after the 2nd year (aka contract through 2026 season with an out after 2025) mainly in case of serious injury degrading his play.

Great teams need great leaders and he is one of the most solid leaders we have on the team. If we're trying to make a push in the next few years (even with the question marks at QB) then I think we need a presence like his on and off the field. I think his extension would be something like $18 million per year. That's a lot for a DT at his age, but also decently less than the top of the market contracts.

I would not extend him.

He’s been a great player and person for a long time. His leadership is fantastic by all accounts. Football is a young man’s game especially for a grueling position like defensive tackle and Cam will drop off of the cliff at some point.

Make him a coach after this year. I mean that. If he wants to move on then so be it. We can all think of great players that hung on for too long. Let’s not tarnish Cam in the same way.

I would not extend him.

He’s been a great player and person for a long time. His leadership is fantastic by all accounts. Football is a young man’s game especially for a grueling position like defensive tackle and Cam will drop off of the cliff at some point.

Make him a coach after this year. I mean that. If he wants to move on then so be it. We can all think of great players that hung on for too long. Let’s not tarnish Cam in the same way.
It's possible that he has reached his cliff, I just saw how he kept improving over the last 5 years and I think last year was just a fluke injury. It could be that he will just get injured more often now and that will stop his domination, but my optimistic view is that last year was a fluke, similar to TJ tearing his pec. That Cam will come back next year as a beast and has 2-3 more years of greatness.

I think there's 0% chance that he'd instantly transition from player to coach, he would just leave for another team. In his year 32 and 33 seasons he was even better than at 29, 30, and 31. With Benton coming off his rookie season, I think this could be Cam's best season since 2017, and he's made the pro-bowl and all-pro teams since then...

I would not extend him.

It's possible that he has reached his cliff, I just saw how he kept improving over the last 5 years and I think last year was just a fluke injury. It could be that he will just get injured more often now and that will stop his domination, but my optimistic view is that last year was a fluke, similar to TJ tearing his pec. That Cam will come back next year as a beast and has 2-3 more years of greatness.

I think there's 0% chance that he'd instantly transition from player to coach, he would just leave for another team. In his year 32 and 33 seasons he was even better than at 29, 30, and 31. With Benton coming off his rookie season, I think this could be Cam's best season since 2017, and he's made the pro-bowl and all-pro teams since then...

I’ll leave you with this.

Cam just turned 35. Aaron Donald is to be 33 in a week or two. If you extend Cam to play in 2025 and 2026 he plays at ages 36 and 37. Are there any defensive tackles you can recall playing well at that age? Top of mind I cannot but they may be out there.

Cam is to make $16m and counts as $22.4m against the cap in 2024. If you don’t extend him you free up a nice chunk of change to sign somebody that can help.

I would not extend him.

Cam just turned 35. Aaron Donald is to be 33 in a week or two. If you extend Cam to play in 2025 and 2026 he plays at ages 36 and 37. Are there any defensive tackles you can recall playing well at that age? Top of mind I cannot but they may be out there.

Cam is to make $16m and counts as $22.4m against the cap in 2024. If you don’t extend him you free up a nice chunk of change to sign somebody that can help.
Aaron Donald was still playing at a high level, but his 2nd best season was in 2020 at 29, 4 years ago. Cam's 2nd best season was 2022, 2 years ago when he was 33. And last year he got hurt in week 1.

I know that Cam playing well for 2-3 more years and not falling apart would be an anomaly, but I would argue that thus far his career has very much been an anomaly. Players usually don't keep improving after 30.

It could backfire, and it is a risky move, I just think he has some great years left and it would be a shame if he had them elsewhere when our team could use strong leaders.

I would not extend him.

Aaron Donald was still playing at a high level, but his 2nd best season was in 2020 at 29, 4 years ago. Cam's 2nd best season was 2022, 2 years ago when he was 33. And last year he got hurt in week 1.

I know that Cam playing well for 2-3 more years and not falling apart would be an anomaly, but I would argue that thus far his career has very much been an anomaly. Players usually don't keep improving after 30.

It could backfire, and it is a risky move, I just think he has some great years left and it would be a shame if he had them elsewhere when our team could use strong leaders.

You're bringing up really good points here's an article that further discusses your viewpoint on Cam and how 35-year-old defensive tackles can still have an impact. The best move for both parties could be to let Cam play his contract out or to sign him to a 2-3 contract extension with exit clause. I'm leaning more towards signing him. I agree I'd hate to see him on another team.

Copilot came up with the following
When structuring a contract for a 35-year-old defensive tackle in the NFL, several key factors come into play. Here are some considerations:

1. Guaranteed Money: Ensure that a significant portion of the contract is guaranteed. This provides financial security even if the player gets injured or released.
  2. Length of Contract: Typically, contracts for older players are shorter (1-3 years) to mitigate risk. However, some veterans may prefer longer deals.
  3. Base Salary and Bonuses: Divide the contract into base salary and bonuses. Bonuses can be signing bonuses, roster bonuses, or performance-based incentives.
  4. Incentives: Include performance-based incentives (e.g., sacks, tackles, games played) to motivate the player and reward exceptional performance.
  5. Cap Hit: Be mindful of the salary cap. Spread out the cap hit evenly over the contract years.
  6. Exit Clauses: Consider team options or player options for contract termination after specific seasons.
Remember that each player’s situation is unique, and negotiations involve balancing the team’s needs, player expectations, and market conditions. If you need specific details, consult with a sports agent or legal expert familiar with NFL contracts.

At Cam's age it's more than likely that his play will fall off a cliff. History shows the decline for players in their mid 30's is not gradual, aside from some QBs. You don't hand out big money to 35 yr old's based on what they did years ago while expecting the same production. Not a smart business move. Maybe offer a 1 yr much cheaper prove it deal laden with incentives, but we know he won't bite.

I would bid him farewell after 2024 and thank you for years of great service as I am no fan of big money deals involving kicking the cap can down the road on old players.

I try to get Cam to sign a 1-year extension. If he isn't agreeable to that then I let him make the call as to whether he wants to play out the final year with Steelers, retire, or if he wants cut to get his own deal.

My guess is that Cam is smart enough to realize that signing the extension is his best option.

Users who are viewing this thread