What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Off the Radar Rookies (1 Viewer)

Bojang0301

Omar4Heisman
Adjusting this list post combine, putting the college statistics link under the players name to save some space. I'm sure some of these guys will end up deserving of their own thread or have been discussed in other threads but I'm adding them anyway. Other than Ito Smith, I'm going to wait on a couple other backs I like to see if they have a good pro day.

Up to date Pro Day results

QB

Logan Woodside, QB Toledo 

Kyle Lauletta, QB Richmond

Riley Ferguson, QB Memphis

Mike White, QB Western Kentucky

RB

Ryan Nall, RB Oregon State

Nyheim Hines, RB NC State

Jarvion Franklin, RB Western Michigan

Justin Jackson, RB Northwestern

Chase Edmonds, RB Fordham

Phillip Lindsay, RB Colorado

Ito Smith, RB Southern Mississippi

Jeffery Wilson, RB North Texas

Akrum Wadley, RB Iowa

WR

Richie James, WR Middle Tennessee State

Dylan Cantrell, WR Texas Tech

Trey Quinn, WR SMU

Justin Watson, WR Penn

Daurice Fountain, WR UNI

Korey Robertson, WR Southern Miss

Antonio Callaway, WR Florida

Allen Lazard, WR Iowa State

Deon Cain, WR Clemson

Thomas Owens, WR FIU

TE

Ian Thomas, TE Indiana

Troy Fumagalli, TE Wisconsin

Last edited by a moderator:
I've watched Nall and Hines but the other 3 I hadn't heard of yet.  Hines looks a lot like Gio to me and could excel in the right situation. 

Nall just didn't exclude himself from other guys that I felt the need to rank him at this point.  If he impresses with a good 3 cone and 40 then that'll answer my questions I had about him.  He played TE in high school so maybe with his size teams might use him as a move TE if he measures in close to his listed size of 6'2" 237.  Seems to have decent hands. 

Brett Toth offensive lineman has a two-year military commitment.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3/2/17067798/brett-toth-army-draft-offensive-tackle-2018

The military might keep Brett Toth out of the NFL until 2020. He’s OK with that.

A Trump administration policy is likely to delay Toth’s football career.

By Alex Kirshner@alex_kirshner  Mar 2, 2018, 7:30am EST

------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if the buzz about him is legit or a PR ploy by the military but he 'could' be an interesting late pick to follow.

Brett Toth offensive lineman has a two-year military commitment.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3/2/17067798/brett-toth-army-draft-offensive-tackle-2018

The military might keep Brett Toth out of the NFL until 2020. He’s OK with that.

A Trump administration policy is likely to delay Toth’s football career.

By Alex Kirshner@alex_kirshner  Mar 2, 2018, 7:30am EST

------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if the buzz about him is legit or a PR ploy by the military but he 'could' be an interesting late pick to follow.
Maybe he can get an exemption for the xfl instead.....

Maybe he can get an exemption for the xfl instead.....
He can but declined and has told NFL teams he is going to fulfill his military commitment and he said they all respect and applaud that decision.

We'll see if he gets drafted.  I heard he would have been considered a high pick if he came out but that could have been a PR ploy to boost interest in the military.

He has reportedly lost over 15 lbs from his playing weight so he can test out better with the military. 

He did not do any testing at the Combine so I doubt anyone takes a shot until the 7th, possibly 6th round if he gets drafted.

Chase Edmonds.  RB out of Fordham.  He tore it up at the combine and also tested as a WR at the combine.  He just had a great pro day as well.  He could be gold in PPR formats.

I’ll work on changing the format, I’ll add some guys who I’m tracking. Not all of them participated in the combine or have had their pro days yet.

Nyheim Hines, NC State: This guy could legit be the fastest player to test. WR convert to RB. Looked natural in the position. I would compare him to a Chris Thompson clone. The type of player New England or Pittsburgh would covet.
Very intrigued by where Hines and Samuels land from NC State.  The Wolfpack had a very creative, timing based offense that I think will translate very well if they go into the right NFL team.

Martez Carter, RB out of Grambling.  No combine invite(which is so dumb), 5-9/205. 

2,628 career rushing yards at 6.6 YPC and 961 receiving yards on 74 receptions for impressive 12.98 YPR.

Could only find one game video of him, and it as against lower level comp he faces, and he scored from all over. Running, receiving, returning and he looked good doing it.  Some are calling him a bigger and better Tarik Cohen but that is lazy analysis since both are sub FBS schools and project as third down backs. If Carter ran as well as what I saw from Cohen last year(talking about his college film) I'd pick Carter in round one. He does not look that good, but he looks good.

Updated the main thread. I'm leaving Carter and Jeffrey Wilson off until their pro day occurs.

Not sure where the "radar" cutoff is, but here are some names I've been looking at for WR (post, stats), RB (post, stats), and TE (post, stats)

WR    Jordan Lasley    UCLA
WR    Cedrick Wilson    Boise St
WR    Darren Carrington II    Utah
WR    Keke Coutee    Texas Tech
WR    Jester Weah    Pittsburgh
WR    Thomas Owens    FIU
WR    Byron Pringle    Kansas St
WR    J'Mon Moore    Missouri
RB    Royce Freeman   Oregon
RB/TE    Jaylen Samuels    NC State
RB    Josh Adams    Notre Dame *
RB    Bo Scarbrough    Alabama
RB    Boston Scott    La Tech *
RB    Jordan Wilkins    Miss *
RB    Jeffery Wilson    N Texas *
RB    Justin Stockton    Texas Tech *
TE    Hayden Hurst    South Carolina
TE    Chris Herndon IV    Miami FL
TE    Jordan Akins    Central Florida
TE    Tyler Conklin    Central Michigan
TE    Troy Fumagalli    Wisconsin

* waiting on pro day workouts

Southern miss pro day

Running back Ito Smith also had a good day. The Senior Bowl participant ran the 40 in times ranging from 4.45 to 4.54, much faster than expected. He also completed 22 reps on the bench press and touched 37.5 inches in the vertical jump.

Smith looked good in drills, especially catching the ball, and ran terrific routes. The Dallas Cowboys ran the drills. He met for several hours with both the New England Patriots and Miami Dolphinsyesterday. Smith has already worked out for theTennessee Titans and is drawing a lot of interest from the Carolina Panthers.

I also agree that Tre’Quan Smith and Equanimeous St. Brown are pretty much established names at this point. 

On the RB side, I would probably add Jeffrey Wilson but I still haven’t seen pro day results from him. Martez Carter did not run well for his measurables and I doubt he is drafted so I am not adding him.

Very intrigued by where Hines and Samuels land from NC State.  The Wolfpack had a very creative, timing based offense that I think will translate very well if they go into the right NFL team.
I am real intrigued by the Hines kid...seems to have some nice zip to his game...will be interesting to see how it translates to the NFL...another post compared him to Chris Thompson...if he could be like Thompson last year that would be great value for where you can probably get him...Deon Cain seems to be kind of a forgotten man...I am definitely keeping my eye on him...had kind of an odd career at Clemson but you just know he has some very legit talent (don't all Clemson players these days)...could be a nice dice-roll for a last roster spot depending on where he lands...

I am not sure of under the radar criteria, but Royce Freeman is going to get drafted late and have a great career.

I'll mention the RB I wanted the Titans to draft in the 4th or 5th, before they signed Dion Lewis. Akrum Wadley, Iowa.  He's similar in many ways to Lewis.

Some guys that didn't make my top40 list that I'm keeping an eye for landing spot and probably undrafted in a rookie draft

Justin Watson

Korey Robertson

Phillip Lindsey

Jordan Wilkins

Kyle Hicks

Davon Grayson

A couple guys I want to add include Justin Watson, Daurice Fountain, Trey Quinn and Antonio Callaway
Trey Quinn outproduced Cameron Sutton at SMU last year. It might mean nothing, but it might mean something about Quinn or Sutton. Quinn has a Cooper Kupp look to him, where he isn't big or fast, but is somehow always open.

So I’ve pretty much finished whatever deep dive I’m going to do, here is the final list of guys I’m keeping an eye on that I expect to go late/undrafted in rookie drafts (depending on league format and size; my take is based on Zealots PPR/Non PPR w/IDP):

QB: Logan Woodside, Mike White, Riley Ferguson

RB: Boston Scott, Phillip Lindsay, Jordan Wilkins, Chris Warren, Jeffrey Wilson, Jarvion Franklin, Akeem Wadley, Roc Thomas, Martez Carter, Diocemy Saint Juste, Justin Stockton, Larry Rose, Trenton Cannon, Dontrell Hilliard

WR: Thomas Owens, Dylan Cantrell, Cam Phillips, Javon Wims, Daurice Fountain, Justin Watson, Keith Kirkwood, Steve Ishmael, Jeff Badet

TE: Tyler Conklin, Andrew Vollert, Damon Gibson, Ian Thomas

Don’t feel like starting a thread for every late round/udfa I’m excited about. I’ll be posting videos news/videos here until someone else starts a player thread. “Wrecking” Nall with a big time run today.

Bojang0301 said:
Don’t feel like starting a thread for every late round/udfa I’m excited about. I’ll be posting videos news/videos here until someone else starts a player thread. “Wrecking” Nall with a big time run today.
hes got quite the uphill battle to make the team

I'm a fan of Chase Edmonds. I'd be a lot higher on him if he were a little bit bigger or faster because he might not have enough juice to really make it at the pro level, but he's a shifty and fluid runner. He was the main day three rookie that I targeted in FF drafts, albeit at flyer prices (3rd-4th round rookie pick). I also have some shares of J'Mon Moore and Jaylen Samuels. I never expect much from these flyer types, but when these late picks pop it can be a huge boost to your dynasty team.

Trent Sheffield WR ARI is someone who I have missed throughout this whole process. He has a very nice profile and has flashed early in camp.

Mike Boone and Trent Sherfield need to be tracked going into preseason games and added in super deep leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread