What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Fastpitch Dads/Coaches here (2 Viewers)

Son's 10U team had their first game last week.  We were blowing the other team out and our coach made a pitching change with one out/batter remaining.  He decided to put my son in to pitch.  He usually plays shortstop or third.  He has never pitched before in a game or practice.  I had to show him the basics and then he got his warm up pitches.  They were a bit outside...think major league.

Well, the first batter came up and my son promptly struck him out with three mid 40mph pitches right down the middle.  We were all laughing so hard and he had such a huge smile.  He talked about for the rest of the evening.  It was awesome.

Guess that means we will be practicing at home.  My knees would appreciate any prayers or well wishes in advance.

The Z Machine said:
Hot take: not sure why this sport exists. The girls and women are 100% capable of playing baseball. The 60' basepath fields are way too small for grown women to play on, that's for sure.
actually it is pretty close to equal to mens or boys baseball.  at the highest level, meaning the elite NCAA teams, reaction times in the infield are equal to MLB reaction times.  And a 70 MPH fast pitch from 43 feet equals the reaction time for the batter equal to a 100 MPH MLB fast ball.  Elite pitchers will throw 70 MPH in NCAA and 60 Plus is a must.  The smaller fields let the smaller, slower, and weaker athletes play at the same speed as the larger, faster, and bigger athletes. From my observations, and that is 10 years of watching softball on all levels the game dimensions are pretty spot on.

And as an aside I think the best hope for a successful women's professional TEAM sport is Softball.  With it's smaller field the game is fast.  The speed of the game BETWEEN pitches is faster than MLB.  The game is easy to relate to if you know baseball but has interesting differences, slappers, run rule, 7 innings, and different pitches than baseball.  Just to name a few.  And that is with the caveat of I am not sure how well the WNBA does or how self sufficient it is.  

And pitchers can be horses in Softball,  they aren't on pitch counts per se, their pitching motion is not as damaging to their arm and they can pitch full games routinely.

And pitchers can be horses in Softball,  they aren't on pitch counts per se, their pitching motion is not as damaging to their arm and they can pitch full games routinely.
Yeah, I think that takes some of the strategy out of it.  A great pitcher can dominate and pitch full games on shorter rest.

Watching the NCAA tourney, it sure seems like batters have to swing before the pitcher releases. Not many check swings and lots of chasing of bad pitches. 

Yeah, I think that takes some of the strategy out of it.  A great pitcher can dominate and pitch full games on shorter rest.

Watching the NCAA tourney, it sure seems like batters have to swing before the pitcher releases. Not many check swings and lots of chasing of bad pitches. 
and yet one game was 2-1 and the other was 5-4 with home runs doing the scoring in the championship series.  And if you watch a lot of softball you will realize that small ball and slapping are often intergal parts of the game to combat superior pitching.  whens the last time you saw a major league player lay down a sacrifice bunt to advance a runner?  or even against a shift? or to actually try and get on base?  that's a different strategy then matching pitcher to batter and everyone swinging for the fences and launch angles.  but there is still a strategy just different.  softball and baseball are similar but differnt games.   

Last edited by a moderator:
rascal said:
Son's 10U team had their first game last week.  We were blowing the other team out and our coach made a pitching change with one out/batter remaining.  He decided to put my son in to pitch.  He usually plays shortstop or third.  He has never pitched before in a game or practice.  I had to show him the basics and then he got his warm up pitches.  They were a bit outside...think major league.

Well, the first batter came up and my son promptly struck him out with three mid 40mph pitches right down the middle.  We were all laughing so hard and he had such a huge smile.  He talked about for the rest of the evening.  It was awesome.

Guess that means we will be practicing at home.  My knees would appreciate any prayers or well wishes in advance.
If he is playing short and 3rd, how has he not done any pitching even in practice?  Those playing short are generally better players on the team and better arms.  For travel teams you need all the arms you can get.

Just wait until next year when they can steal and you need to hold runners on.  Enough of our 12U kids balk about 10 times on each pitch.

If he is playing short and 3rd, how has he not done any pitching even in practice?  Those playing short are generally better players on the team and better arms.  For travel teams you need all the arms you can get.

Just wait until next year when they can steal and you need to hold runners on.  Enough of our 12U kids balk about 10 times on each pitch.
Not a travel team.

The Z Machine said:
So they aren't capable of playing baseball?
They are plenty capable if they practiced and played it.  Their skills are translatable but it would take time to adjust to the size of the field and the vastly different queues for hitting overhand vs underhand pitching.

The games are drastically different and each have their plusses and minus.  Softball is much quicker pace and has different strategies.  Both games are good.....they are just different.

rascal said:

Invest in a bucket you can sit on.  Your knees and back will thank you later. 

They are plenty capable if they practiced and played it.  Their skills are translatable but it would take time to adjust to the size of the field and the vastly different queues for hitting overhand vs underhand pitching.
True or false - there is significant discussion in the softball world about whether the "baseball swing" works in softball? I see an awful lot of twitter conversation (think Coach Lisle) about how the baseball swing absolutely does translate to softball. Would love to hear thoughts.

True or false - there is significant discussion in the softball world about whether the "baseball swing" works in softball? I see an awful lot of twitter conversation (think Coach Lisle) about how the baseball swing absolutely does translate to softball. Would love to hear thoughts.
Most of it translates with some tweaks.  Even today's baseball swing is a little bit different teaching then back when I learned it

Eta...remember a softball is coming at flat-plane where a baseball is getting thrown downward

I don't see a problem with the swing mechanics themselves.  I do see a difference in pitch recognition and reading the windup and other queues that help in pitch recognition. 

There is. My older daughter has been taught a baseball swing, or on plane rotational swing, since she was 6.  still go to the same batting coach.   it works well for her.  All her coaches tried to change it and we have left teams over it.  Her current coach finally accepted it when she saw the results in travel ball and high school ball.   They have claimed she would never be  able to hit inside balls.  At least two of them have been proven wrong when she played against them.  If I were to start teaching young girls it is what I would teach them. 

My daughter just finished her 8U All Star season, the team went 12-11-2 over the course of 6 tournaments, so a good mix of success, failure, and learning to deal with both.  She learned a ton and had a blast.  She pitched 48 innings (K'd 109) and threw > 1200 pitches in ~ 7 weeks.   Just a tremendous amount of experience for an 8 year old who didn't even have a glove at this time last year.  I can't believe how lucky I am to have a girl that loves to play this sport.  It's like winning the ####### lottery.  

Big decision to make and not much time to make it... Fall Ball registration deadlines are this week, and we are sitting on an offer to join a very local B-level travel team.  I am not a fan of the local rec league (I used to be on the board; that made it worse), but I am also not a fan of the cost and time needed for travel ball.

My daughter also plays lacrosse in the spring, and I think she likes that better... but she had an awesome tryout (why didn't she play that well all spring?), had fun, and the coach REALLY wants her on his team.  (she played on his all star team 2 years ago and made an impression on him then.

I don't want her playing both rec in travel in the fall, so I am hesitant to sign her up for both, but I may just suck it up and sign up for fall ball as a fall back should we decide against travel.

Monkey wrench: we are eligible for another rec league as it is based on school district, and there are 2 in leagues in our district.  I am also considering a switch to them for the fall.  

I have no clue what to do. 

Big decision to make and not much time to make it... Fall Ball registration deadlines are this week, and we are sitting on an offer to join a very local B-level travel team.  I am not a fan of the local rec league (I used to be on the board; that made it worse), but I am also not a fan of the cost and time needed for travel ball.

My daughter also plays lacrosse in the spring, and I think she likes that better... but she had an awesome tryout (why didn't she play that well all spring?), had fun, and the coach REALLY wants her on his team.  (she played on his all star team 2 years ago and made an impression on him then.

I don't want her playing both rec in travel in the fall, so I am hesitant to sign her up for both, but I may just suck it up and sign up for fall ball as a fall back should we decide against travel.

Monkey wrench: we are eligible for another rec league as it is based on school district, and there are 2 in leagues in our district.  I am also considering a switch to them for the fall.  

I have no clue what to do. 
Talk to your daughter.  Go over plusses and minuses and then ask her where she wants to play. 

Girls LL Williamsport team went to States - We spent last Week in Dunkirk near Buffalo - Had a blast...

Now THIS is it, last 10u travel Tourney this weekend before the big move to 12u 12'' ball and pitching further back.... 

Man, she better LOVE pitching lol... I'm so tired and the work we're gonna need to put in now is insane IMO.

Daddy Whining Time...

So it's our Last 10u Tournament - 1 Team Sponsors the tournament.. They have 2 Teams in the 10u division - an 08' and an 09' Team

Somehow the 08' team is short players.... (long story but another reason they suck).... So, they get 2 Girls from possibly the most Elite team in All NY state as Guests..Probably a top level player in the country...lol

One girl in particular was so aware of everything - She was ready to Slap, swing whatever, she fouls balls off, she gets on base every time, then she takes bases at will because she's just super elite, had Speed training and can time every motion on the field....lol.

She scores almost all their runs thru the tourney and even pitches for them....

Our team is mostly younger - 09 girls....

We're in the Championship game and lose in the 6th inning 4-3 on a walk-off single..

I'm sure everyone here will tell my "whatever, it happens"..

But, DAMN, that's some Bush league crap....   

What if next year I'm coaching and I keep a short roster then enter the biggest Tourney around and bring 3 Super Elite Girls... I'd be embarrassed.

I mean, they have TWO teams in this thing, how about play some of those 09 girls vs our 09's.... How about Invite girls the same level.

This was a USSSA Tournament - They should have a rule where guests have to be from same level teams....

I complained and the opposing coach reported me.....LOL If I knew I was leaving to a certain travel team where i know the coach doesn't care about this #### I would tell this guy what I really think .

Cherry on top - They Dog Piled the Victory and even the coaches jumped in.... Our girls stood there like "WTF.... REALLY????"

Oh well........I really don't need replies I know this guy is a Super #####.. LOL.............................On to 12u!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't going to post but I will.

We just got back from East Nationals in USSSA.  We are a 13U team.  We came in second out of 64. We played in the "14B" division.

Next year we will be 14A

ETA:  Little Belljr hit her 4th Homer of the year to win us the first championship game.  wasn't a walk off but still put us up 1 in the top of the 6th

Wasn't going to post but I will.

We just got back from East Nationals in USSSA.  We are a 13U team.  We came in second out of 64. We played in the "14B" division.

Next year we will be 14A
SWEET MAN!!!!!!!  That's Crazy..... Post em all... Love to hear it.

@Reaper  USSSA does have guest player rules - it all depends on how the team is classified and where they are playing.  Teams have to submit guests via the online form and get approved

Here is their chart

https://www.google.com/search?q=USSSA+guest+player+chart&safe=off&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS758US758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2lpeX9NrjAhVBrlkKHQ_RCmwQ_AUIEigC&biw=1574&bih=813#imgrc=1pfXxMOCTU-OnM:

Eta: I hate guests to just trophy hunt.

Yeah, I'm sure it was all legit as per the book but, if you sponsor the thing and are short players you just suck to start... then if you have 18+ girls combined from the 2 teams with eligible girls you should be forced to play with your own girls.... or heck, bring in a girl from a B level team...

I'm sure the Rules ppl never anticipated such BS....

But, now that I think it through..... I'd like to see a Rule where ALL guest player have to be from a level Below.... 

NEVER a level above.... Horse#### to have a girl come in and dominate a Tournament.

That said, I told the coach "Your giving the MVP to the Team LI girl right"......lol, nope he gave it to his daughter.

Yeah, I'm sure it was all legit as per the book but, if you sponsor the thing and are short players you just suck to start... then if you have 18+ girls combined from the 2 teams with eligible girls you should be forced to play with your own girls.... or heck, bring in a girl from a B level team...

I'm sure the Rules ppl never anticipated such BS....

But, now that I think it through..... I'd like to see a Rule where ALL guest player have to be from a level Below.... 

NEVER a level above.... Horse#### to have a girl come in and dominate a Tournament.

That said, I told the coach "Your giving the MVP to the Team LI girl right"......lol, nope he gave it to his daughter.
You can't guest from a level above - but its base on team/player classification not "age".

Just because they put together a 9 year old team and a 10 year old team - all team aren't like that - you will have a mix of teams that are '08 and '09

If this was a C level tournament - any girl that is 10C eligible can participate regardless of age.  A 10B or 10A player can not sub.

If this was a 10B tournament - any player that was 10B elibible or lower can particpate

I would hope the tourney director was on the up and up.

But like I said I agree bringing in ringers to trophy hunt is dumb

Local LL team that my daughters team used to play against is representing the East in the LL World Series starting in a week in Oregon.

This is a SMALL league. These girls all go to the same school.

Good stuff!

You can't guest from a level above - but its base on team/player classification not "age".

Just because they put together a 9 year old team and a 10 year old team - all team aren't like that - you will have a mix of teams that are '08 and '09

If this was a C level tournament - any girl that is 10C eligible can participate regardless of age.  A 10B or 10A player can not sub.

If this was a 10B tournament - any player that was 10B elibible or lower can particpate

I would hope the tourney director was on the up and up.

But like I said I agree bringing in ringers to trophy hunt is dumb

I'm sure this rule is impossible to judge but, to everyone watching these games, this was 100% violated.... 

b. Guest Players are used to help field a team and are not a mechanism to enhance the competitive balance of a team.

Jaysus said:
I just snagged a 2019 LXT for $120 new from ****'s ;)

You can use the Blue Ghost for ASA, but not the Gold one.  You can use the Gold Ghost for USSSA, but not the Blue one.  I heard they are making a universal one. 

My daughters Gold Ghost broke after a month.  Just too flimsy, but my daughter loves it.  

I know. That's why she was kicked out.   But its still stupid they didn't certify the Gold for all....
How much research do you do before buying a bat?  Do you just stay with a brand that has worked?  Any places to do any research?

How much research do you do before buying a bat?  Do you just stay with a brand that has worked?  Any places to do any research?
I go to justbats and closeoutbats....

Closeoutbats looks shady but they are legit.

At this point being so deep I have general knowledge about most bats 

My daughter likes the demarini. We are still swinging the cfx.   She also has a drop 9 lxt.

We've tried other bats and different balances and she found she liked the demarini

I'll also Google "bat reviews"...

To be honest I haven't noticed much difference at 13-14 once you get to the top bats... We play at a decent level but we aren't some monster players where a different high level bat would make a big difference.

None of our ghost girls have homeruns but our demarini and LS do :lol:

i also went heavier same length instead of bumping to the next size since she's only 5'3"

I have my daughter go to bat demos to swing the different bats then she tells me which one she liked the best.  Don't really do much research.  Hard to go wrong with Easton, DeMarini or Louisville Slugger.  At the end of the day it's the painter, not the paint brush.

BTW, not that anyone cares but my daughters team won SpaceCoast Nationals down in Melbourne, FL over the summer.  Pretty cool.  They got National Champions rings from the tournament for winning.  

BTW, not that anyone cares but my daughters team won SpaceCoast Nationals down in Melbourne, FL over the summer.  Pretty cool.  They got National Champions rings from the tournament for winning.  
Love hearing these personal success stories from FBG peeps.  Keep'em coming! 

Girls LL Williamsport team went to States - We spent last Week in Dunkirk near Buffalo - Had a blast...

Now THIS is it, last 10u travel Tourney this weekend before the big move to 12u 12'' ball and pitching further back.... 

Man, she better LOVE pitching lol... I'm so tired and the work we're gonna need to put in now is insane IMO
It's crazy how much extra work pitchers have to do.  Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off discouraging her from pitching early as I can't imagine how much better she would be at the plate and in the field if we couple transfer all those pitching reps to grounders and BP.   :bag:

tommyGunZ said:
It's crazy how much extra work pitchers have to do.  Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off discouraging her from pitching early as I can't imagine how much better she would be at the plate and in the field if we couple transfer all those pitching reps to grounders and BP.   :bag:
Pitcher's get the scholarship money.  Well worth the investment.

When my daughter was playing I used to frequent softball fans.com forums

After you have some posts there they used to give pretty nice discounts on new bats

People trade there too, or at least used to, I haven’t been there in yrs

I traded a demarini that my daughter outgrew for a bigger bat with someone in California. There’s no guarantee that you’re not going to get ripped off but he was someone that was on the board for years so I figured wth.  He shipped his and I shipped mine the same day and it worked out. Might be worth a look for you guys that still have kids playing

tommyGunZ said:
Looking back I believe my kid would have enjoyed it more if she hadnt pitched. But she wanted to bad and wouldn’t have it any other way at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread