What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL - Position Updates 3/6 (2 Viewers)

I'm not sure if it was a full positional update but MFL did make the adjustment to Redskins players based on the recent change by FSharks. Presumably, I guess... I own Allen/Sweat in a few and, as of today, Allen is listed as DT and Sweat as DE.

The following player position changes will be made on Friday, May 1st, to bring our player database up-to-date with the FantasySharks.com depth charts:

ARI: Rashard Lawrence from DE to DT

ATL: Marlon Davidson from DE to DT

DAL: Aldon Smith from LB to DE

DEN: Christian Covington from DT to DE

DET: Jashon Cornell from DT to DE

GB : Gerald Willis from DT to DE

GB : Jonathan Garvin from DE to LB

HOU: Jonathan Greenard from DE to LB

JAX: Abry Jones from DT to DE

JAX: Al Woods from DT to DE

KC : L'Jarius Sneed from S to CB

LVR: Lamarcus Joyner from S to CB

LVR: Lynn Bowden from WR to RB

MIN: Brian Cole from CB to S

MIN: James Lynch from DE to DT

NYJ: Jabari Zuniga from DE to LB

NYJ: Nate Hairston from CB to S

NYJ: Quinnen Williams from DT to DE

PIT: Alex Highsmith from DE to LB

SEA: Darrell Taylor from LB to DE

SF : Dontae Johnson from S to CB

TEN: Larrell Murchison from DT to DE

TEN: Chris Jackson from S to CB

WAS: Jonathan Allen from DE to DT

WAS: Montez Sweat from LB to DE

WAS: Matt Ioannidis from DE to DT

WAS: Ryan Kerrigan from LB to DE

WAS: Caleb Brantley from DE to DT

WAS: Antonio Gibson from WR to RB

A few interesting points. Rookie EDG Greenard was changed to reflect 3-4 but rookie IDL Blacklock was not. A long time to go tho.

Both candidates to open 2020 as Jacksonville's starting nose tackle are changed to DE. They both started at NT last season, one in Seattle. Makes no sense to me at all. Neither are fantasy-relevant tho.

Fantasy Sharks seems to believe that a primary slot defender is a CORNERback by definition. That should mean that CJ Gardner-Johnson will be changed to CB. Nice little cheat code for CB-required leagues.

Goodell announced Jabari Zuniga as a DE. The Jets play multiple fronts. (I was so surprised by this change that I rewatched the Jets' last game. It was vs. the Bills in the rain. Lots of base D. More 3-4 sets than I expected, but still plenty of 4-3. If Fantasy Sharks believe that a DE who stands up is by definition an OLB, then the majority of their sets were 3-4. 

Fantasy Sharks' interpretation of the Jets D as 3-4 triggers the change to Quinnen Williams, of course. Outstanding question then: What about all the deep-league options? Are rosters going to be left hacked up like last year? (E.g., Kyle Phillips currently DE. Foley Fatukasi currently DT.)

Ryan Anderson remains at LB for now. Makes sense. Could get a look at SLB.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
looking to move some redraft leagues away from  MFL to ESPN because if I want bad positioning I can get it for free there. And at least there I know they won't change players every 5 minutes and ask every month on twitter "what system do you guys prefer" 1).... When they got them from rotoworld it wasn't perfect but it was 100% predictable.

There comes a time where MFL's refusal to switch to interior/edge designations just has to have consequences. It's hard to go away from them in dynasty settings though.

1) referring to this tweet: https://twitter.com/IDPSharks/status/1254820764630560770

Last edited by a moderator:
Is JAX officially a 3-4?  Chaisson not moving is a big one.  The WAS changes were expected but Ionnidas getting a DT tag is an unexpected bonus for those leagues.

Is JAX officially a 3-4?  Chaisson not moving is a big one.  The WAS changes were expected but Ionnidas getting a DT tag is an unexpected bonus for those leagues.
Ourlads has the Jags in a 4-3 and Chaisson playing...SAM?  <_<

Knee jerk, that ain't right and the internet's will catch-up sometime this summer, but I guess this is one to continue to monitor.

There is some noise about switching to a 3-4 but nothing that sounds at all informed; just speculation. FSharks still lists the positions based on 4-3, as well. I'd wager Chaisson will see the same deal as Allen did last year: listed at LB now but DE before the season starts. I suppose there's always the possibility he stays designated LB (and perhaps plays there for 2020) and then replaces Nga at DE for 2021. If they actually trade Nga at some point this off/pre season then Chaisson definitely goes DE. 

Goodell announced Chaisson as a linebacker on draft night, so that might explain Ourlads.com's take. 

Who do y'all think will play the strong-side edge outside the big end (Gunter?) between Chaisson , Allen, and Ngakoue?

Jacksonville showed some 3-4 looks last year to get Ngakoue, Allen, and Campbell on the field together. Among players they've added this offseason are Rodney Gunter and Cassius Marsh from Arizona's 3-4. They still have Lerentee McCray, who played for Rex Ryan in Buffalo. And just today, they've signed OLB Aaron Lynch formerly of the Bears. 

So yeah, this is what the speculation looks like. 🤪 Beat writers are consistently beating this down. I can't help myself but to watch closely, tho, after what happened in Atlanta and Charlotte last year. 

At any rate, I'd expect few base sets with 3 stacked LBs. Todd Wash had to install those to get Jack, Poz, and Telvin on the field together years ago. He'll adjust now to get Ngakoue, Allen, and Chaisson on the field together as much as possible. That doesn't mean it's a 3-4, but it seems to me one of these three has to play outside on the strong side in the 4-3 under, perhaps in rotation with incumbent Leon Jacobs.

Does that mean one should carry an LB tag for FFB purposes? Just one more argument for true positions in FFB imo.

I'm wide open to your thoughts and rebuttals. Where have I gone astray?

Holy hell... with no notice or was there some discussion or indication that this would happen? I'd be super angry if MFL just flipped it on with no notice. That's something that needs to be annouced in December as starting the following fall. Give us time to add/stash and draft accordingly. 

https://twitter.com/fleaflicker/status/1262197826991374337?s=21

Has anyone put together a list showing who’s a useful OLB who would be reclassified as an EDGE if MFL did a surprise switch like this?
Below is a list of former OLB's now DE's (in flea) and their per game rank had they been a DE in 2019 using my flea league's scoring system:

1- Chandler Jones

2- Shaq Barrett

3- TJ Watt

6- Ryan Connelly :lmao:  

7- Bradley Chubb

8- Bud Dupree

11- Za'Darius Smith

14- Harold Landry

16- Whitney Mercilus

23- Preston Smith

25- Devon Kennard

27- Matt Judon

29- Khalil Mack

In 2018:

2- Khalil Mack

3- TJ Watt

8- Von Miller

11- Bradley Chubb

12- Chandler Jones

Then a big drop-off

In 2017:

1- Chandler Jones

3- Khalil Mack

7- Von Miller

9- Matt Judon

15- Ryan Kerrigan

20- TJ Watt

21- Bruce Irvin

Holy hell... with no notice or was there some discussion or indication that this would happen? I'd be super angry if MFL just flipped it on with no notice. That's something that needs to be annouced in December as starting the following fall. Give us time to add/stash and draft accordingly. 
Wouldn't it be the same for everyone in your league so why would it necessarily matter when they "switched it on"?  And why couldn't your league decide to keep it as it was for a year knowing it would be implemented for your league the following year (or some time in the future)?

Wouldn't it be the same for everyone in your league so why would it necessarily matter when they "switched it on"?  And why couldn't your league decide to keep it as it was for a year knowing it would be implemented for your league the following year (or some time in the future)?
Seems obvious that because without this knowledge we've all avoided those OLB like the plague they (were).  Completely changes the landscape.  Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome the change, but only if we knew in advance and got a chance to plan and adjust for it.

Seems obvious that because without this knowledge we've all avoided those OLB like the plague they (were).  Completely changes the landscape.  Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome the change, but only if we knew in advance and got a chance to plan and adjust for it.
Yep, I already did 3 Fleaflicker rookie/FA drafts.

Hankmoody said:
But every team in your league is in the same boat.  Nobody has an unfair advantage.  Now its just adjusting to the new positions and values for everyone.  Doesn't really matter when it is implemented.  It will be the same for everyone in your league.

But every team in your league is in the same boat.  Nobody has an unfair advantage.  Now its just adjusting to the new positions and values for everyone.  Doesn't really matter when it is implemented.  It will be the same for everyone in your league.
No, it won't.  Because the donkeys that load up on non-ideal OLB because they are donkeys get a significant advantage from being donkeys.  I literally sold my draft picks rather than draft dead weight guys.  So now a team that should be packed up with terrible 9.5 PPG LB options suddenly get much stronger EDGE options on their roster and they got them cheaper/later because the savvy owners were avoiding them altogether.  Not sure why you're debating this you've been doing IDP long enough to understand this and are knowledgeable enough to have avoided such dead weight.

No, it won't.  Because the donkeys that load up on non-ideal OLB because they are donkeys get a significant advantage from being donkeys.  I literally sold my draft picks rather than draft dead weight guys.  So now a team that should be packed up with terrible 9.5 PPG LB options suddenly get much stronger EDGE options on their roster and they got them cheaper/later because the savvy owners were avoiding them altogether.  Not sure why you're debating this you've been doing IDP long enough to understand this and are knowledgeable enough to have avoided such dead weight.
I understand what you are saying now.   I actually didn't think about people rostering those guys in that type scoring because I wouldn't.   I had my blinders on...hahah

This really wouldn't affect my leagues because we have scoring that makes edge LB's useful.  We purposely tried to have scoring that allowed for building in multiple ways.  

Donkeys really is so much more amusing than calling them "name drafters" :lol:

My issue with an unannounced change is the waiver order. There's a reason I prefer FAAB. #lowkeybrag

Suddenly the next waiver run features some serious scoring potential and the lucky winner is the top claimant(s). 

I assume Quinn also got moved back to DE?  It would also make Clowney more reliable in the case he ends up on a 3-4 team.

The following player position changes will be made on Saturday, July 4th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the FantasySharks.com depth charts:

ARI: Dylan Cantrell from WR to TE

ARI: Aaron Brewer from LB to TE

DET: Jamal Agnew from CB to WR

GB : Treyvon Hester from DT to DE

LVR: Tanner Muse from S to LB

MIA: Malcolm Perry from QB to RB

NO : Taquan Mizzell from WR to RB

So if MFL does their final position update early next week, then Clowney signs with a 3-4 team late next week, he stays a DE for the year right?  💰

I wish.  This was about the time it happened last year.  From earlier in this thread: 

Final Player Position Updates (Published Tue Sep 3 11:33:19 p.m. ET 2019)

The following player position changes will be made on Wednesday, September 4th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the FantasySharks.com depth charts:

It was about this time last year that MFL dropped a bomb on us and changed Aaron Donald to DT without explanation. With all the inconsistencies out there now, I wouldn't be surprised if some changes came, but it feels like it's been a long time. And with no preseason games, I can only imagine on what basis players will be changed.

It was about this time last year that MFL dropped a bomb on us and changed Aaron Donald to DT without explanation. With all the inconsistencies out there now, I wouldn't be surprised if some changes came, but it feels like it's been a long time. And with no preseason games, I can only imagine on what basis players will be changed.
Our players lock onto position at the draft.  Once you take a player there position is locked.  As a league we did not think it would be fair to have positions switch after you crafted your team based on the position at the time.  Therefore these late or in season changes are irrelevant.

MFL didn't do that, they are just a passthrough.  Now it's FantasySharks, I think last year it was still Rotoworld.  This happens every year after the last preseason games.

We don't know how FantasySharks will behave during the season though.  Roto did no changes once the season began but even so, when a player's status changes (cut, trade, signed with new team, etc) then yes he was subject to reclassification.  I'd guess FanstaySharks does the same but we really don't know.

MFL didn't do that, they are just a passthrough.  Now it's FantasySharks, I think last year it was still Rotoworld.  This happens every year after the last preseason games.

We don't know how FantasySharks will behave during the season though.  Roto did no changes once the season began but even so, when a player's status changes (cut, trade, signed with new team, etc) then yes he was subject to reclassification.  I'd guess FanstaySharks does the same but we really don't know.
Sharks did it last season - they switched a little more than a year ago.

🤬🤬🤬🤬

I mean, how are IDP dynasty leagues supposed to function in this environment? We didn't have to like how Rotoworld handled position designations, but at least they were efficient and predictable.

Sharks did it last season - they switched a little more than a year ago.
Despite the atrocious wording, that's actually what I was trying to say haha, "this" meant the season we had already played with them.

🤬🤬🤬🤬

I mean, how are IDP dynasty leagues supposed to function in this environment? We didn't have to like how Rotoworld handled position designations, but at least they were efficient and predictable.
Not really fume  material IMO, it's just a learning curve to be expected with a change.  We just don't know yet how consistent they will be.  If we get through 3-4 years of them never changing designations mid-season then we'll know.  I don't recall anything changing in the middle of last season but as illustrated above my timeframe recollection isn't the greatest.

Davenport/Fantasy Sharks is adamant that 3Ts in Vic Fangio's defense should be DEs. When Aaron Donald was changed from DE to DT last year, he argued down folks who wanted Akiem Hicks changed likewise. Shelby Harris was immediately changed from DT to DE after the 2019 season  playing the Hicks role in Fangio's Denver defense. Now a Fangio protege is in LA. Why shouldn't Donald be changed back to DE? 

Jurrell Casey has always had a DE tag. Now Jeffery Simmons takes over for Casey. Why shouldn't Simmons be changed to DE? 

I'll spare y'all the dozen or so teams with multiple players with disparate position designations who actually play the same position, some battling to start in the same spot.

I suppose this doesn't matter much in redraft. Check in in August, see who's in what basket, and roll with it. In dynasty, it's a disaster.

Davenport/Fantasy Sharks is adamant that 3Ts in Vic Fangio's defense should be DEs. When Aaron Donald was changed from DE to DT last year, he argued down folks who wanted Akiem Hicks changed likewise. Shelby Harris was immediately changed from DT to DE after the 2019 season  playing the Hicks role in Fangio's Denver defense. Now a Fangio protege is in LA. Why shouldn't Donald be changed back to DE? 

Jurrell Casey has always had a DE tag. Now Jeffery Simmons takes over for Casey. Why shouldn't Simmons be changed to DE? 

I'll spare y'all the dozen or so teams with multiple players with disparate position designations who actually play the same position, some battling to start in the same spot.

I suppose this doesn't matter much in redraft. Check in in August, see who's in what basket, and roll with it. In dynasty, it's a disaster.
In our league a player keeps their position designation as long as they are under contract (we can award 3 year contracts).  So Simmons was a DT last year and given a 3 yr contract in our league.  He stays as a DT until his contract is up (through 2021 season).  If the site (mfl) changes position designations on him between now and the end of 2021 he stays DT but when the contract is up he goes to the default website position. 

This happened to Donald for us as he was a DE designation at the time he was placed under contract.  He is now off contract and has now returned to DT.  This is huge because we give bonus points to DT's over DE's to make them more relevant.  Donald is easily the best IDP guy for us now that he is DT......but the owner paid up and he is also the highest paid IDP in the league by a long ways. 

Position designations can always be argued so trying to keep it simple and as black and white as possible for everyone upfront is best.  We go by MFL site designation and once drafted/contracted that position is locked in for the duration so you know what you are drafting and you keep them at that drafted position.  Once they are free agents again they go back to whatever the default MFL position has them until they are picked up......then they get locked in there.  I think this is the simplest and fairest way for everyone.  It might not be 100% accurate but it is known upfront and all owners can plan accordingly.

Locking players in as Gally describes does seem like the best option. At the very least, once a player is added to a team's roster, the designation should lock for the duration of the season. 

Sounds like Chaisson, JAX, will get his current LB designation changed to DE and play a lot opposite Allen in MFL. This is according to Davenport in his latest podcast. This gives him a slight bump, although I’m still not sold on him to make big splash this season. What does everyone think about his long term (dynasty) outlook?

Sounds like Chaisson, JAX, will get his current LB designation changed to DE and play a lot opposite Allen in MFL. This is according to Davenport in his latest podcast. This gives him a slight bump, although I’m still not sold on him to make big splash this season. What does everyone think about his long term (dynasty) outlook?
Gonna wait to see it happen.  When the position designator tweets the final position update is minor and next to no one is fantasy relevant, makes me question if Chaisson will receive the designation you hope.  Regardless, long term that Jax team needs massive help.  At this point I'll look at the Mike and Will LBs for high/decent tackle numbers but the line and secondary are fades for me for the next 2-3 years as they try yet another rebuild.  

Users who are viewing this thread