What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL - Position Updates 3/6 (1 Viewer)

Fantasy sharks and mfl have been partners for a long time - FS has provided their weekly projections, among other things, for years.
Have you done a MFL draft this year? Try clicking on the 2 FS links from the draft player page. 

Wooters said:
They have Darius Leonard as the SLB.  That can't be right...right?
Don't think so. Walker as MLB and Leonard as WLB was the lineup last year, no? I didn't really see much of them but own Walker. 

The depth charts and player pages are an absolute ####show on Fsharks. This is not a good change if I have to look through that garbage. I still don't even see where the designation of S/W/M is... only see "LB" next to his name. Is there a different player page you guys are seeing? I see this page, which has only "LB" and the same is true on this depth chart page, where there's no LB designation breakouts and all DE/DT are lumped into DL.  

Hankmoody said:
There's a superscipt with the position over each player's name.  Some interesting differences, including breaking out SAM/MIKE/WILL and "every" for every down backs?
Could you screenshot what you see? I see no superscript. Nothing on mouse-over... different browser maybe? 

Again, I love Fsharks and always go through their projections and rankings for all the formats. But those team & player pages are a hot mess.

I still don't even see where the designation of S/W/M is... only see "LB" next to his name. Is there a different player page you guys are seeing? I see this page, which has only "LB" and the same is true on this depth chart page, where there's no LB designation breakouts and all DE/DT are lumped into DL.  
Try the link I posted 4 posts above yours and see if that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think so. Walker as MLB and Leonard as WLB was the lineup last year, no? I didn't really see much of them but own Walker. 

The depth charts and player pages are an absolute ####show on Fsharks. This is not a good change if I have to look through that garbage. I still don't even see where the designation of S/W/M is... only see "LB" next to his name. Is there a different player page you guys are seeing? I see this page, which has only "LB" and the same is true on this depth chart page, where there's no LB designation breakouts and all DE/DT are lumped into DL.  

Could you screenshot what you see? I see no superscript. Nothing on mouse-over... different browser maybe? 

Again, I love Fsharks and always go through their projections and rankings for all the formats. But those team & player pages are a hot mess.
https://www.fantasysharks.com/apps/bert/players/depth_chart.php

My opinion is we look more at 3-4 pass rushers because it seems less likely a 4-3 OLB gets the DE tag. Nature of the beast, since the 3-4 NT comes off the field and the OLB kicks to DE alignment. 4-3 fronts don't have that 100% obvious DL that will come off in favor of a pass rusher. It seems like that 4-3 OLB is in a much murkier situation, and less likely to get that DE tag.

We need to start with 3-4 pass rushers on teams with a good offense. We want only those OLB types that will be 3 down backers and will have the opportunity to gain that DE designation b/c their offense puts up points and forces the opposing offense to play from behind. This gives our OLB a favorable situation where they are on the field in a high percentage of "sub-package" defense, thus allowing the EDGE guy to line up at the DE spot so they are more likely to get the designation we want.

Scrolling down the roto depth chart list (because it's still much cleaner than FSharks!) in alphabetical order...

Chicago - Mack is back? Not a great offense but I think they're ascending. 

Green Bay - Not sure the OLBs there are scary EDGE guys but a solid buy low, perhaps?

Houston - Jadeveon Clowney looks like a smart target, as mentioned by Tick. 

LA Rams - Dante Fowler & Clay Matthews. Not sure where the value is as I can't imagine both get DE tags. 

Pittsburgh - Certainly has the offense for it, but they rotate LBs too much to be sure any one guy is the right target for DE tag.

Tampa Bay - Again a good offense but JPP is already listed as DE and none of the OLBs look like guys that would take advantage of the DE tag.

Good players that would have a big value bump if designated as DE but not listed because their offense disqualifies them: Chandler Jones, Terrell Suggs, Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Harold Landry, Ryan Kerrigan.

"We may well see a day in the not-too-distant future when 4-3 defensive end and 3-4 outside linebacker are lumped together in an “EDGE” category. It’s an idea that’s been talked about a lot in recent years, and it’s gaining steam. But there are problems there as well that will need to be worked out before that idea becomes implementation."

^^^Seems like the best answer may be one that each league/membership/commissioner should work towards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, not sure I agree with his methodology.  Not that my agreement matters any of course, but think it may lead to an especially chaotic year for changes. 
I agree. It will be really tough to rely on any OTA/Camp/Pre-season data, anyway. That's all very limited playing time and generally "vanilla-only" as far as outsiders are allowed to see. 

Also, it's something that must be 100% locked in by the start of the season, too. Any new data from 2019 season can only be used to adjust for 2020. (Likely how they plan to do it but it's not spelled out as such in that article.)

Any thoughts on where to find the defensive scheme % splits?  I found that FB Outsiders did it for 2017 but didn’t find one for 2018...and that can be different based on coaching changes...of course

while I like the effort Davenport may want to inject into this, seems problematic but hopefully if he move an OLB to DE it’s clear it should happen

He's using a lot of words to not say anything new:

1.  Players will be aligned based on how they play - already were
2.  Preseason updates - already were
3.  No indication that there will be in-season changes - already weren't
4.  No mention of role vs. stance - already wan't

I don't see anything to get excited about.  If Clowney is in a 2 point stance all day, he's going to be listed as a LB.  So will Mack.  He's trying to make it sound like he'll be more reality-based that Roto was, but do we really know they weren't?  Mack wasn't a full-time hand in the dirt guy in any of his 3-4 seasons, even 2017 when they were coming off their 4-3 season and everyone was hoping Pagano's "hybrid" concept might give us the benefit of the doubt, so we didn't really have anything to complain about to MFL. 

I recommend listening to this week’s Individual Defensive Podcast with Gary Davenport’s DL rankings.  Since he’s setting positions for MFL this season, it’s worth noting:

- Khalil Mack: GD considers him a LB

- Chandler Jones: GD considers him a LB

- Jadeveon Clowney: GD leans toward DE.

- Mario Addison: Not discussed, but listed in GD’s DL rankings.

I recommend listening to this week’s Individual Defensive Podcast with Gary Davenport’s DL rankings.  Since he’s setting positions for MFL this season, it’s worth noting:

- Khalil Mack: GD considers him a LB

- Chandler Jones: GD considers him a LB

- Mario Addison: Not discussed, but listed in GD’s DL rankings.
That's interesting, assuming he plays.

That's interesting, assuming he plays.
My assumption is the franchise tag dispute will end up deciding Clowney's positional designation.  If he ends up getting paid as a linebacker it will be difficult for sites to switch his position from that.  Only if he prevails and is paid as a DL or some compromise between the two numbers could that switch be made.

My assumption is the franchise tag dispute will end up deciding Clowney's positional designation.  If he ends up getting paid as a linebacker it will be difficult for sites to switch his position from that.  Only if he prevails and is paid as a DL or some compromise between the two numbers could that switch be made.
What's the timeline on that decision;n?

The following player position changes will be made on Thursday, July 25th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the FantasySharks.com depth charts:

ARI: Cameron Malveaux from DE to LB

ARI: Terrell McClain from DT to DE

CHI: Duke Shelley from S to CB

CHI: Bilal Nichols from DT to DE

CHI: Taquan Mizzell from RB to WR

DAL: Treston Decoud from S to CB

DAL: Kerry Hyder from DE to DT

DEN: Brendan Langley from CB to WR

GB : Natrell Jamerson from S to CB

MIA: Nate Orchard from DE to LB

SF : Dontae Johnson from CB to S

TB : Jeremiah Ledbetter from DT to DE

Haha that might be the most boring list ever.
I’m in an 8-team league with 80-man rosters.  I just looked and not one of these guys is rostered.  Nor do I think the position change will cause any to be.  (Maybe Hyder?)

It’s nice to know we only have to survive one more of these before the season starts.

To be fair not much football has happened since the last change, a lot more will be happening before the next.

The following player position changes will be made on Thursday, August 8th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the FantasySharks.com depth charts:

DET: Da'Shawn Hand from DT to DE

DET: Mike Daniels from DE to DT

GB : Kingsley Keke from DT to DE

HOU: Jadeveon Clowney from LB to DE

JAX: Datone Jones from DE to DT

JAX: Josh Robinson from S to CB

KC : Tremon Smith from CB to RB

NE : Danny Etling from QB to WR

OAK: Ethan Westbrooks from DE to DT

SEA: Nazair Jones from DT to DE

SEA: Quinton Jefferson from DE to DT

WAS: JoJo Wicker from DE to DT

What if it's right? 
I'm not saying if it's right or not, you could of course make the case to have him at DT (though Brokers staying at DE just because he plays a higher % of base snaps, well it shows that subpackage role doesn't tell the whole story). But Fantasysharks took the job to do the DCs for MFL back in April. The changes to Clowney and Donald are based on their 2018 data. Why wait until now ? There have been multiple waves of position changes since they took over, yet they wait the middle of August to change the most important IDP player ?If it was based on changes that are new and only showed in the first preseason games or even OTAs, than of course that would be a correct change. But it's not the case here. Those are changes based on the 2018 season of the players.

Choke said:
  • Dee Ford.
  • Juston Houston.
  • Romero Okwara.
  • Olivier Vernon.
Pretty sizable change over for this year.
...and Clowney.

How would you rank these guys in a typical dynasty format?  I have to think Vernon, Ford and Houston are all solid DL2s.  Not sure what to do with Clowney not yet suiting up. 

@Sigmund Bloom Can we get Clowney and Addison listed as DEs in the FBG database, along with the other recent MFL changes?  Addison is already cross-listed to show up at OLB and DE, but Clowney isn't.

If Aaron Donald did not move to DT with the Aug 8 update, is another update slated before the season starts?  

Why is Donald a DT when he plays the same DE spot as many other 3-4 end that occasionally kicks inside on pass sets?  Because of the media ineptitude?   :thumbdown:

*and Phillips in a 3-4 is an absolute.
Their explanation is based on the packages they play, he’s mostly in a DT position....ie less base than other 3-4s

also to a question above re: Addison, Panthers are running a 3-4 now so Addison will be an OLB, I believe

Why is Donald a DT when he plays the same DE spot as many other 3-4 end that occasionally kicks inside on pass sets?  Because of the media ineptitude?  :thumbdown:

*and Phillips in a 3-4 is an absolute.
In MFL I haven't seen that this change has been made.  He is still listed as DE as far as I can see. 

Then go draft him early, Choke, and take advantage of the perceived situation. Or.... someone else must already own him. Them the breaks....

Mario Addison and Bruce Irvin are playing OLB in the Carolina 3-4.  Happening in both the games and their depth chart.

Hopefully these will be properly displayed at fasntasysharks and MFL. Quality control would be appreciated.

*there is still some preseason time for the Panthers to switch things up, however.
In this week's Individual Defensive Podcast, GD said that Brian Burns is playing OLB and Addison is a DE.

Not arguing what's correct, just relaying the information from the guy who sets MFL positions.

Users who are viewing this thread