What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL - Position Updates 3/6 (3 Viewers)

Thoughts on Irvin?  Might he be able to get 35+ solos and 10 sacks playing opposite?
I don't know enough about Gunther's version of the 4-3 but he's got a ton going against him in any event.  Irvin's experience playing SAM in the Gus version may make him more valuable in that role so I don't know how much he'll truly be playing down and if he'll keep the designation.  I also think Arden Key will be a stud if he's able to stay clean and he'll cap Irvin in any regard.  The 3-8 sacks Key gets keep Irvin from double digits and therefore starting viability.  I'm not interested, I want DL with more upside than that.  35/5 guys are all over the waiver wire.

Irvin has been playing RDE during the OTAs

https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1006648019431772160

Guess we could see Mack playing on the strong side in their "new" 4-3, I would guess they won't want Irvin to set the edge on the strong side, but rather have him in more pure pass rush situations on the weak side.

I would say he is a nice add as a DE3 or DE4 in non tackle heavy leagues. It's not like there is a ton of depth at DE in leagues where you have to start 2. He had a nice production at LB the last 2 seasons, if he can even reproduce 75% of that production at DE it makes him a DE2 in 12 teams leagues.

And here is the DC speaking about Irvin as DE in a press conference:

https://www.raiders.com/video/bruce-irvin-comfortable-in-new-role-along-the-defensive-line

Really under the radar right now

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Rotoworld have a contest with another site to try to be first?  They seem a bit knee jerk with changes and hours later make a contradictory post that the guy they just moved to LB will "in the mix at DE"

Really?  Everything about Lawson so far this year is that he is a DE.  But Roto wants him to be a LB?
They do these knee jerk reactions in the spring, that seem pointless.  I tweeted the Rotoworld guy about it.  His reasoning for the Raiders moves was that these players went to a 3-4 team, and until they showed they would be a 4-3 defense, it made more sense to put Key at LB, and Hall/Hurst at DE.  In a 3-4, those positions would make more sense for those particular players.  Frankly, that doesn't fly. 

• The Raiders being a true 3-4 the last few years is news to me.  They had elements of it, like Mack and Irvin dropping into coverage.  But this was nothing like a 3-4 defense.  They had ZERO players on their team that were 3-4 DE types, 5 techniques.  Mario Edwards could potentially fill that role, but he DIDN'T actually play that role.  The Raiders had two DEs that can play LB, that does NOT mean a team is running a 3-4.  They ALWAYS had two DTs on the field, and they were lined up as a 1 and 3 tech.  It looked like a 4-3 most of the time.  But what do I know, I only watched every snap of preseason and regular season. 
  •  He also made the statement that Hall played NT in college, so that fit with a 3-4 scheme.  That is such a weak ####### argument, I cannot believe he made it.  Every DT in college at some point, lines up as a NT.  Hall is 6', 300 lbs.  This is not Vince Wilfork.  He's not a 3-4 NT, and this guy knows that.  Also, I don't really know if it's true, because  I never saw Sam Houston State, which I am sure I have in common with the guy from Rotoworld.
  •   Hurst/Hall are as classic a 3 Tech size as one can get. They were clearly DTs, and would ONLY be inside penetrators.  
  • Norton came from SEA. 3-4 defense?  No.  Classic 4-3.  
  • Guenther replaced him, from Cincy. 3-4 defense?  No.  Classic 4-3.
There were some rumblings a few years ago about the team being multiple.  Somehow, that gets turned into BreezeIDP rearranging every player to a 3-4 defense.  

And that's just my team.  

I haven't seen any positive news about Carl Lawson since he moved from a DE to LB designation. But, now I have a guy in one of my leagues relentlessly pursuing him by offering me trades. Started with Oren Burks straight up for Lawson and now he's offering Markus Golden and Dion Jordan for him. Did I miss some positive development regarding Lawson?

I haven't seen any positive news about Carl Lawson since he moved from a DE to LB designation. But, now I have a guy in one of my leagues relentlessly pursuing him by offering me trades. Started with Oren Burks straight up for Lawson and now he's offering Markus Golden and Dion Jordan for him. Did I miss some positive development regarding Lawson?
I own him and haven't seen anything new on him.  He is a decent flyer in big play leagues (which I am in) but if you are in a standard league I would take the chance on Burks at this point.  

Lawson is supposedly having a really good camp. *shrugs*

There hasn't been tons of news but what I've seen is all positive. To me it looks like it's all stemming from 1 or 2 initial articles, though. Hype train parroting the same quotes (one from Lawson and one from Cordy Glenn) plus an article this week from a CBS writer. **EDIT: Also found an article yesterday raving about his 3 sacks in 4 plays and how he's dominating camp. Grain of salt? Equally as important as INTs by the QB in camp? **

Definitely a good stash with both starting DEs in front of him in the final year of their contracts. If he gets OLB it's big-play scoring or bust, I'd imagine. Even if that's where he sticks this year it's possible he goes to DE next year with Cincy unlikely to resign Dunlap/Johnson. Looks like a high upside player but his designation in 3/4 takes away a bit of the luster for me. 3/4 DE sets the edge too often and OLB is not as likely to be tackle heavy. 

CIN isn't even 3-4, he's just playing SAM like he did last year.  If I could stash him I would, there's a decent chance he ends up with a different role once Johnson's gone.  They are going to re-sign Dunlap for sure though so his ceiling is perhaps limited.

They do these knee jerk reactions in the spring, that seem pointless.  I tweeted the Rotoworld guy about it.  His reasoning for the Raiders moves was that these players went to a 3-4 team, and until they showed they would be a 4-3 defense, it made more sense to put Key at LB, and Hall/Hurst at DE.  In a 3-4, those positions would make more sense for those particular players.  Frankly, that doesn't fly. 

• The Raiders being a true 3-4 the last few years is news to me.  They had elements of it, like Mack and Irvin dropping into coverage.  But this was nothing like a 3-4 defense.  They had ZERO players on their team that were 3-4 DE types, 5 techniques.  Mario Edwards could potentially fill that role, but he DIDN'T actually play that role.  The Raiders had two DEs that can play LB, that does NOT mean a team is running a 3-4.  They ALWAYS had two DTs on the field, and they were lined up as a 1 and 3 tech.  It looked like a 4-3 most of the time.  But what do I know, I only watched every snap of preseason and regular season. 
  •  He also made the statement that Hall played NT in college, so that fit with a 3-4 scheme.  That is such a weak ####### argument, I cannot believe he made it.  Every DT in college at some point, lines up as a NT.  Hall is 6', 300 lbs.  This is not Vince Wilfork.  He's not a 3-4 NT, and this guy knows that.  Also, I don't really know if it's true, because  I never saw Sam Houston State, which I am sure I have in common with the guy from Rotoworld.
  •   Hurst/Hall are as classic a 3 Tech size as one can get. They were clearly DTs, and would ONLY be inside penetrators.  
  • Norton came from SEA. 3-4 defense?  No.  Classic 4-3.  
  • Guenther replaced him, from Cincy. 3-4 defense?  No.  Classic 4-3.
There were some rumblings a few years ago about the team being multiple.  Somehow, that gets turned into BreezeIDP rearranging every player to a 3-4 defense.  

And that's just my team.  

Had similar concerns with how Rotoworld handled Khalil Mack last summer. Definitely some knee jerk going on from time to time. Have seen several players switch positions multiple times over the summer in the past.

I think Evan and the guys there do a generally good job with the depth charts but every so often they make a change based on speculation from one interview during OTA's.

Lawson is supposedly having a really good camp. *shrugs*

Maybe they knew Roto was moving him back to DE, now a DE...again

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis expects DE Carl Lawson to remain a sub-package player in 2018.

Lawson notched 8.5 sacks on just 477 rookie snaps, but the Bengals still have Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap. "The biggest thing that was true for Carl at Auburn, and still continues here in the NFL after his first season, is that by limiting his exposure, we're going to get more production," Lewis said. "He’s not that big of a person and so to go out and bang with the big guys all the time is not going to be beneficial to him, and what he’s going to get done at the end of the game when you need him to." Lawson could force Lewis' hand if he picks up where he left off as a rookie. Aug 14 - 5:40 PM

Source: Katherine Terrell on Twitter

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis expects DE Carl Lawson to remain a sub-package player in 2018.

Lawson notched 8.5 sacks on just 477 rookie snaps, but the Bengals still have Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap. "The biggest thing that was true for Carl at Auburn, and still continues here in the NFL after his first season, is that by limiting his exposure, we're going to get more production," Lewis said. "He’s not that big of a person and so to go out and bang with the big guys all the time is not going to be beneficial to him, and what he’s going to get done at the end of the game when you need him to." Lawson could force Lewis' hand if he picks up where he left off as a rookie. Aug 14 - 5:40 PM

:thumbup:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/758507-preseason-notes/#comment-20386292

Final Player Position Updates (Published Mon Sep 4 10:51:02 p.m. ET 2017)
Player Position Updates (Published Tue Aug 22 7:50:49 p.m. ET 2017)
Player Position Updates (Published Wed Jul 19 5:32:30 p.m. ET 2017)
Player Position Updates (Published Tue Jun 13 6:35:11 p.m. ET 2017)
Player Position Updates (Published Tue May 9 11:33:32 p.m. ET 2017)
Player Position Updates (Published Tue Apr 4 11:54:29 p.m. ET 2017)

Final Preseason Player Position Updates (Published Mon Sep 5 12:11:37 a.m. ET 2016)
Preseason Player Position Updates (Published Sun Aug 21 11:09:10 p.m. ET 2016)
Preseason Player Position Updates (Published Thu Aug 18 12:47:30 a.m. ET 2016)
Preseason Player Position Updates (Published Wed Jul 13 7:36:25 p.m. ET 2016)
Preseason Player Position Updates (Published Wed Jun 8 7:32:22 p.m. ET 2016)
Preseason Player Position Updates (Published Tue May 3 5:01:17 p.m. ET 2016)

They seem to be a tad earlier this year:

Player Position Updates for August (Published Wed Aug 8 8:54:45 p.m. ET 2018)
Player Position Updates for July (Published Tue Jul 10 10:18:33 p.m. ET 2018)
Player Position Updates for June (Published Fri Jun 8 12:42:53 a.m. ET 2018)
Player Position Updates for May (Published Fri May 4 12:45:46 a.m. ET 2018)
Player Position Updates for March (Published Mon Mar 5 9:23:01 p.m. ET 2018)

Looks like last two years had one has been prior to week 3 PS games then another after final cuts, but they missed that this year unless it's posted tonight or early tomorrow.  Have we seen any changes on Roto?

He's a DE on Roto, sooooo.......

Gonna be touch and go, I have final draft tomorrow night, hopefully no one is on the ball, I should be able to get him as 4th DE.  

The following player position changes will be made on Monday, September 3rd, to bring our player database up-to-date with the Rotoworld.com depth charts:

CAR: Marquis Haynes from DE to DT

CHI: Khalil Mack from DE to LB

CIN: Carl Lawson from LB to DE

CLE: Carl Davis from DE to DT

CLE: Briean Boddy-Calhoun from CB to S

DAL: Datone Jones from DT to DE

DAL: Tyrone Crawford from DE to DT

DET: Ricky Jean-Francois from DE to DT

DET: Quandre Diggs from CB to S

JAX: Taven Bryan from DT to DE

JAX: Lerentee McCray from DE to LB

LAR: Ethan Westbrooks from DT to DE

LAR: Dominique Easley from DE to LB

LAR: Justin Lawler from DE to LB

NE : Keion Crossen from CB to S

NE : Jason McCourty from CB to S

NYG: Kamrin Moore from CB to S

OAK: Frostee Rucker from DT to DE

OAK: Shilique Calhoun from LB to DE

OAK: Treyvon Hester from DE to DT

SF : Jullian Taylor from DT to DE

Jullian Taylor from DT to DE is one to watch / stash if roster space and need meet. Good press during preseason and Armstead is the only threat to PT. 

Lawson expectations?
He should not be on the wire with the press he's received and his preseason work so grab him now or someone else will. Certainly not a start-him-every-week guy but he looks like a guy that will force the staff to play him full time. Michael Johnson is already expendable so next year Lawson is opposite Dunlap full time. 

drewd_21 said:
The following player position changes will be made on Monday, September 3rd, to bring our player database up-to-date with the Rotoworld.com depth charts:

DET: Quandre Diggs from CB to S
Hmm. He's moved back to S. Productive last season as Safety. He's should get lots of snaps playing slot/safety hybrid. Not a ton of tackles, iirc, but good for deflections and big plays.

The following player position changes will be made on Thursday, March 21st, to bring our player database up-to-date with the Rotoworld.com depth charts:

ARI: Robert Nkemdiche from DT to DE

ARI: Chandler Jones from DE to LB

ARI: Brooks Reed from DE to LB

CAR: Marquis Haynes from DT to DE

CHI: Bilal Nichols from DE to DT

CLE: Olivier Vernon from LB to DE

DAL: Tyrone Crawford from DT to DE

DAL: Kerry Hyder from DE to DT

DEN: Shelby Harris from DE to DT

DET: Romeo Okwara from LB to DE

GB : Tramon Williams from CB to S

HOU: Chris Landrum from DE to LB

HOU: Briean Boddy-Calhoun from S to CB

HOU: Mike Tyson from CB to S

JAX: Lerentee McCray from LB to DE

JAX: Taven Bryan from DE to DT

KC : Breeland Speaks from LB to DE

KC : Tanoh Kpassagnon from LB to DE

KC : Chris Jones from DE to DT

LAC: T.Y. McGill from DE to DT

LAC: Anthony Lanier from DE to DT

LAR: Dante Fowler from DE to LB

MIA: Minkah Fitzpatrick from S to CB

MIN: Ifeadi Odenigbo from DE to DT

NE : Ufomba Kamalu from LB to DT

NE : Keion Crossen from S to CB

NO : Justin Hardee from WR to CB

NYG: Olsen Pierre from DT to DE

NYG: Dalvin Tomlinson from DE to DT

NYJ: Tarell Basham from DE to LB

NYJ: Bronson Kaufusi from DE to LB

SEA: Quinton Jefferson from DT to DE

SEA: Jake Martin from LB to DE

SEA: Poona Ford from DE to DT

SF : Dee Ford from LB to DE

SF : Solomon Thomas from DE to DT

TB : Gerald McCoy from DT to DE

TB : Noah Spence from DE to LB

TEN: Cameron Wake from DE to LB

WAS: Caleb Brantley from DT to DE

WAS: Marcus Smith from DE to LB

The following player position changes will be made on Thursday, March 21st, to bring our player database up-to-date with the Rotoworld.com depth charts:

ARI: Robert Nkemdiche from DT to DE

ARI: Brooks Reed from DE to LB

CAR: Marquis Haynes from DT to DE

CHI: Bilal Nichols from DE to DT

CLE: Olivier Vernon from LB to DE

DAL: Tyrone Crawford from DT to DE

DAL: Kerry Hyder from DE to DT

DEN: Shelby Harris from DE to DT

DET: Romeo Okwara from LB to DE

GB : Tramon Williams from CB to S

HOU: Chris Landrum from DE to LB

HOU: Briean Boddy-Calhoun from S to CB

HOU: Mike Tyson from CB to S

JAX: Lerentee McCray from LB to DE

JAX: Taven Bryan from DE to DT

KC : Breeland Speaks from LB to DE

KC : Tanoh Kpassagnon from LB to DE

KC : Chris Jones from DE to DT

LAC: T.Y. McGill from DE to DT

LAC: Anthony Lanier from DE to DT

MIA: Minkah Fitzpatrick from S to CB

MIN: Ifeadi Odenigbo from DE to DT

NE : Ufomba Kamalu from LB to DT

NE : Keion Crossen from S to CB

NO : Justin Hardee from WR to CB

NYG: Olsen Pierre from DT to DE

NYG: Dalvin Tomlinson from DE to DT

NYJ: Tarell Basham from DE to LB

NYJ: Bronson Kaufusi from DE to LB

SEA: Quinton Jefferson from DT to DE

SEA: Jake Martin from LB to DE

SEA: Poona Ford from DE to DT

SF : Dee Ford from LB to DE

SF : Solomon Thomas from DE to DT

TB : Gerald McCoy from DT to DE

WAS: Caleb Brantley from DT to DE

WAS: Marcus Smith from DE to LB
I like these as buy's in DT required leagues. 

I'm curious if you see anything in particular that makes you like Solomon, @Gally. He seems like a round 1 pick that is a rotational guy; probably JAG.

JAX: Taven Bryan from DE to DT - Had him stashed as a "draft pedigree" devy DE. Not a DT required league so that frees up a roster space, I guess.

KC : Breeland Speaks from LB to DE - Pretty exciting...

KC : Tanoh Kpassagnon from LB to DE - He and Alex Okafor warrant at least watch list attention. If one takes a full time role it's a cheap DE. Or it's a committee headache.

KC : Chris Jones from DE to DT - Solid option at DT but it sure does suck for anyone that had him as a DE after putting up top 10 FF scores at DE last year.

I'm curious if you see anything in particular that makes you like Solomon, @Gally. He seems like a round 1 pick that is a rotational guy; probably JAG.

JAX: Taven Bryan from DE to DT - Had him stashed as a "draft pedigree" devy DE. Not a DT required league so that frees up a roster space, I guess.

KC : Breeland Speaks from LB to DE - Pretty exciting...

KC : Tanoh Kpassagnon from LB to DE - He and Alex Okafor warrant at least watch list attention. If one takes a full time role it's a cheap DE. Or it's a committee headache.

KC : Chris Jones from DE to DT - Solid option at DT but it sure does suck for anyone that had him as a DE after putting up top 10 FF scores at DE last year.
He has the draft pedigree and I don't think he was used right as a DE.  SF D should improve and moving inside I think will help him.  This is only for DT required leagues of course.  I wouldn't worry about him if you don't need to use DT but with that always being a hard position to fill if needed I think he has a chance to be playable......and he should be relatively cheap at the moment. 

Thanks, appreciate the reply. I've got him in a contract league and his 7M per year was a prime cut candidate with his terrible production at DE. That's a hefty cap hit for DE67. 😮

It's a DT league, though, so maybe I'll hold if I can manage the cap. Antwuan Woods is my only DT so there's room for improvement. 

Thanks, appreciate the reply. I've got him in a contract league and his 7M per year was a prime cut candidate with his terrible production at DE. That's a hefty cap hit for DE67. 😮

It's a DT league, though, so maybe I'll hold if I can manage the cap. Antwuan Woods is my only DT so there's room for improvement. 
love salary cap leagues - add a whore different dimension and challenge

love salary cap leagues - add a whore different dimension and challenge
A commish from one of my leagues asked me to take over for an owner that refused to fix his cap over the first 3-4 weeks last season and I have to agree. It's been really interesting. Dude had a good roster, too. Totally inexplicable... 

anyone buying Vernon? Starting across from Garrett and word is Browns are looking to move Ogbah
Definitely worth it if the cost is right. He's sitting on the wire in one league that hasn't opened, yet, and I expect he'll be in the first round of waivers. That Dline is so stacked, the only concern is that they pass the big scores from player to player and all end up as mid-range starters, rather than any mega-studs.

anyone buying Vernon? Starting across from Garrett and word is Browns are looking to move Ogbah
I just put in a waiver claim for him based on this news.  (Team has JPP so I’m worried about losing DL depth before the season kicks off.)

His NYG production at LB would only have made him a low-end DL2 last year, but the situation in Cleveland is attractive.  I wouldn’t break any banks getting him, but for the price of a roster spot sign me up.

Flush.  Chandler Jones is the new Khalil Mack...from difference making dlineman to run of the mill LB in many leagues.

(RotoWire) Jones has lost 25 pounds, weighing in at 255 pounds at the outset of the Cardinals' offseason program, Mike Jurecki of the Cardinals' official sitereports.

Analysis: Jones bulked up in order to move from a 3-4 outside linebacker to a down lineman in Steve Wilks' 4-3 scheme last season. His stat line didn't suffer as a result -- 13 sacks, his fifth time in six campaigns in double digits -- but the defense overall fell out of the top 10 in yards allowed for the first time since 2014. With the move back to a 3-4 defense and working opposite veteran pass rusher Terrell Suggs, Jones will be seeking out yet another year with 10-plus sacks and multiple forced fumbles.

(RotoWire) Jones has lost 25 pounds, weighing in at 255 pounds at the outset of the Cardinals' offseason program, Mike Jurecki of the Cardinals' official sitereports.

Analysis: Jones bulked up in order to move from a 3-4 outside linebacker to a down lineman in Steve Wilks' 4-3 scheme last season. His stat line didn't suffer as a result -- 13 sacks, his fifth time in six campaigns in double digits -- but the defense overall fell out of the top 10 in yards allowed for the first time since 2014. With the move back to a 3-4 defense and working opposite veteran pass rusher Terrell Suggs, Jones will be seeking out yet another year with 10-plus sacks and multiple forced fumbles.
...as a LB

The following player position changes will be made on Wednesday, May 15th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the FantasySharks.com depth charts:

ARI: Rodney Gunter from DT to DE

ARI: Josh Shaw from S to CB

ARI: Darius Philon from DT to DE

BAL: Michael Pierce from DT to DE

BAL: Brandon Williams from DE to DT

BUF: Eli Harold from LB to DE

CAR: Brian Burns from LB to DE

CHI: Duke Shelley from CB to S

DAL: Tyrone Crawford from DE to DT

DAL: Kerry Hyder from DT to DE

DAL: Christian Covington from DE to DT

DEN: Kareem Jackson from S to CB

IND: Justin Houston from LB to DE

IND: Gerri Green from LB to DE

IND: Ben Banogu from LB to DE

JAX: Josh Allen from LB to DE

LAC: Cortez Broughton from DT to DE

MIA: Minkah Fitzpatrick from CB to S

NE : Jason McCourty from S to CB

NE : Chase Winovich from LB to DE

NO : Chauncey Gardner-Johnson from CB to S

NYG: Markus Golden from DE to LB

NYG: Olsen Pierre from DE to DT

OAK: Quinton Bell from DE to LB

PIT: Isaiah Buggs from DT to DE

PIT: Sutton Smith from DE to LB

SEA: Ugo Amadi from S to CB

SF : Jimmie Ward from S to CB

SF : Pita Taumoepenu from DE to LB

TB : Gerald McCoy from DE to DT

WAS: Jordan Brailford from DE to LB

WAS: Montez Sweat from DE to LB

They are changing from using Rotoworld's depth chart to Fantasysharks depth charts. Big news imo.

That is big news. Do you have a source for that? I'd like to read it. I love Fsharks but they don't break out DL positions. Even the player pages just list all DT/DE as DL. That would be a massive headache. Unless I'm missing some other page/location on their website? 

https://www.fantasysharks.com/apps/bert/players/depth_chart.php?TeamID=7
Just came here to post about this

The following player position changes will be made on Wednesday, May 15th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the FantasySharks.com depth charts:
Um, the bolded might be the biggest news of all.  Not Rotoworld?  Are those two some kind of interrelated now?  Have we been looking at the wrong predictive source this whole time???

That is big news. Do you have a source for that? I'd like to read it. I love Fsharks but they don't break out DL positions. Even the player pages just list all DT/DE as DL. That would be a massive headache. Unless I'm missing some other page/location on their website? 

https://www.fantasysharks.com/apps/bert/players/depth_chart.php?TeamID=7
There's a superscipt with the position over each player's name.  Some interesting differences, including breaking out SAM/MIKE/WILL and "every" for every down backs?

Um, the bolded might be the biggest news of all.  Not Rotoworld?  Are those two some kind of interrelated now?  Have we been looking at the wrong predictive source this whole time???

Nope, looks like they've changed the source since the last update.

Maybe I'm just not being patient enough while all their ads and pop-ups try to load. I have to click into the player page to see an actual positional designation. 

Side note, and I only noticed b/c I was looking for his projections, but no Sam Hubbard in the top DL list on the team "depth chart"

Ugh. I was irritated with the change to roto's depth chart set up (hate the long-page scroll built for mobile) but now I see what real garbage pages look like.

Fantasy sharks and mfl have been partners for a long time - FS has provided their weekly projections, among other things, for years.

Users who are viewing this thread