What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (3 Viewers)

This is funny...

Maxine Waters is praised as correctly predicting that President Trump would back off from imposing tariffs on Mexico...

“Bet you bottom dollar, Trump will back off by the weekend, Just another bluff?”

She did however, fail to mention that he would back off after Mexico capitulated.   :lol:

But hey...take 'em when you can get 'em.
Do we have any details yet on what was agreed?

The United States and Mexico met this week to address the shared challenges of irregular migration, to include the entry of migrants into the United States in violation of U.S. law. Given the dramatic increase in migrants moving from Central America through Mexico to the United States, both countries recognize the vital importance of rapidly resolving the humanitarian emergency and security situation. The Governments of the United States and Mexico will work together to immediately implement a durable solution.

As a result of these discussions, the United States and Mexico commit to:

Mexican Enforcement Surge

Mexico will take unprecedented steps to increase enforcement to curb irregular migration, to include the deployment of its National Guard throughout Mexico, giving priority to its southern border. Mexico is also taking decisive action to dismantle human smuggling and trafficking organizations as well as their illicit financial and transportation networks. Additionally, the United States and Mexico commit to strengthen bilateral cooperation, including information sharing and coordinated actions to better protect and secure our common border.

Migrant Protection Protocols

The United States will immediately expand the implementation of the existing Migrant Protection Protocols across its entire Southern Border. This means that those crossing the U.S. Southern Border to seek asylum will be rapidly returned to Mexico where they may await the adjudication of their asylum claims.

In response, Mexico will authorize the entrance of all of those individuals for humanitarian reasons, in compliance with its international obligations, while they await the adjudication of their asylum claims. Mexico will also offer jobs, healthcare and education according to its principles.

The United States commits to work to accelerate the adjudication of asylum claims and to conclude removal proceedings as expeditiously as possible.

Further Actions

Both parties also agree that, in the event the measures adopted do not have the expected results, they will take further actions. Therefore, the United States and Mexico will continue their discussions on the terms of additional understandings to address irregular migrant flows and asylum issues, to be completed and announced within 90 days, if necessary.

Ongoing Regional Strategy

The United States and Mexico reiterate their previous statement of December 18, 2018, that both countries recognize the strong links between promoting development and economic growth in southern Mexico and the success of promoting prosperity, good governance and security in Central America. The United States and Mexico welcome the Comprehensive Development Plan launched by the Government of Mexico in concert with the Governments of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras to promote these goals. The United States and Mexico will lead in working with regional and international partners to build a more prosperous and secure Central America to address the underlying causes of migration, so that citizens of the region can build better lives for themselves and their families at home.

https://www.state.gov/u-s-mexico-joint-declaration/

The United States and Mexico met this week to address the shared challenges of irregular migration, to include the entry of migrants into the United States in violation of U.S. law. Given the dramatic increase in migrants moving from Central America through Mexico to the United States, both countries recognize the vital importance of rapidly resolving the humanitarian emergency and security situation. The Governments of the United States and Mexico will work together to immediately implement a durable solution.

As a result of these discussions, the United States and Mexico commit to:

Mexican Enforcement Surge

Mexico will take unprecedented steps to increase enforcement to curb irregular migration, to include the deployment of its National Guard throughout Mexico, giving priority to its southern border. Mexico is also taking decisive action to dismantle human smuggling and trafficking organizations as well as their illicit financial and transportation networks. Additionally, the United States and Mexico commit to strengthen bilateral cooperation, including information sharing and coordinated actions to better protect and secure our common border.

Migrant Protection Protocols

The United States will immediately expand the implementation of the existing Migrant Protection Protocols across its entire Southern Border. This means that those crossing the U.S. Southern Border to seek asylum will be rapidly returned to Mexico where they may await the adjudication of their asylum claims.

In response, Mexico will authorize the entrance of all of those individuals for humanitarian reasons, in compliance with its international obligations, while they await the adjudication of their asylum claims. Mexico will also offer jobs, healthcare and education according to its principles.

The United States commits to work to accelerate the adjudication of asylum claims and to conclude removal proceedings as expeditiously as possible.

Further Actions

Both parties also agree that, in the event the measures adopted do not have the expected results, they will take further actions. Therefore, the United States and Mexico will continue their discussions on the terms of additional understandings to address irregular migrant flows and asylum issues, to be completed and announced within 90 days, if necessary.

Ongoing Regional Strategy

The United States and Mexico reiterate their previous statement of December 18, 2018, that both countries recognize the strong links between promoting development and economic growth in southern Mexico and the success of promoting prosperity, good governance and security in Central America. The United States and Mexico welcome the Comprehensive Development Plan launched by the Government of Mexico in concert with the Governments of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras to promote these goals. The United States and Mexico will lead in working with regional and international partners to build a more prosperous and secure Central America to address the underlying causes of migration, so that citizens of the region can build better lives for themselves and their families at home.

https://www.state.gov/u-s-mexico-joint-declaration/
So nothing meaningful.  

If both parties actually do the things stated on this report, it will help the situation. Especially moving quickly to adjudicate the asylum claims in the US.

This is funny...

Maxine Waters is praised as correctly predicting that President Trump would back off from imposing tariffs on Mexico...

“Bet you bottom dollar, Trump will back off by the weekend, Just another bluff?”

She did however, fail to mention that he would back off after Mexico capitulated.   :lol:

But hey...take 'em when you can get 'em.
Your laughter makes more sense if you bold the word “capitulated”

No not really. Keeping these people in Mexico, even for a short period of time, is not something I would think anyone on the left would like. Personally I hate it. Again I ask, why not just let them in? Why are we so afraid of these people? 
Not wanting to derail. But isn't this the same fear you have about AR15s? A small percent of illegals are dangerous. But we need to regulate.

If you would like, we can discuss further in the other thread.

This whole thing is amazing.  The absolute celebration by the right over this agreement is perhaps the funniest thing I’ve witnessed during this presidency.  
IMO, it makes America look bad. With our economy being "the best ever", Mexico is willing to house, employ, and provide health care to the same people we're locking in cages and taking away their medications.

This whole thing is amazing.  The absolute celebration by the right over this agreement is perhaps the funniest thing I’ve witnessed during this presidency.  
Let's see how this all plays out. Taking this great win on immigration now will be hard to take back closer to 2020 elections. Imo they scored to early on immigration. In "What have you done for me lately America " how will Trump use remember when I solved immigration 14 months ago play.

Please explain why you have to be on the right to acknowledge something positive for the country just happened.

Let's see how this all plays out. Taking this great win on immigration now will be hard to take back closer to 2020 elections. Imo they scored to early on immigration. In "What have you done for me lately America " how will Trump use remember when I solved immigration 14 months ago play.
Scored what?

Then I suggest you open your mind and realize that not everyone thinks the same way.  
That was written in jest. Somewhat. 

My original post that you responded to, was specifically in response to President Trump and his fierce supporters on this issue, who want a little more than simply stronger borders. 

“Mexico, you know that National Giard you just created to be deployed throughout the country in January? You have to deploy that throughout your country.  Victory!”

Not wanting to derail. But isn't this the same fear you have about AR15s? A small percent of illegals are dangerous. But we need to regulate.

If you would like, we can discuss further in the other thread.
No thanks. I don’t want to discuss it in the other thread, or anywhere else, because of all of your awful analogies this one is by far the worst and most offensive. These are human beings, not weapons designed to kill. I mean seriously. That’s all I have to say. 

That was written in jest. Somewhat. 

My original post that you responded to, was specifically in response to President Trump and his fierce supporters on this issue, who want a little more than simply stronger borders. 
That's fine, but those are fringe people, and while they shout the loudest (see: Trump), I do not believe they represent the stance of the vast majority of people in favor of stronger borders.  I know you like to focus on the extreme views of those who oppose your stances, especially in regards to race, but it is not at all helpful as far as meaningful conversations go. 

No thanks. I don’t want to discuss it in the other thread, or anywhere else, because of all of your awful analogies this one is by far the worst and most offensive. These are human beings, not weapons designed to kill. I mean seriously. That’s all I have to say. 
You're wrong again. It's about regulating the small percentage of things that are dangerous. Regardless of whether or not other people are not doing anything illegal.

Seriously?

Trump - creates problem

Problem solved

Trump is the greatest!
Trump didnt create the problem. Border crossings have been happening too long.

Problem was solved by working with Mexico. They had nothing to lose by doing nothing. Tariffs forced them to take action. 

I've never said or thought Trump was the greatest. But this is the mentality here. Independent thought is forced to one side or the orher.

The actual agreement here is that Mexico will not protest the US having asylum seekers from Central America await the decision on their claim in Mexico, and in return the US will speed up the adjudication process. Everything else is what Mexico is already doing in part because it’s cracking down on organized crime with a 60,000 person national guard it voted to create in January. 

That's fine, but those are fringe people, and while they shout the loudest (see: Trump), I do not believe they represent the stance of the vast majority of people in favor of stronger borders.  I know you like to focus on the extreme views of those who oppose your stances, especially in regards to race, but it is not at all helpful as far as meaningful conversations go. 
We’re in a thread devoted to Trump’s use of tariffs as a threat to pursue policies that he wants. Right now we have a President with extreme views who is attempting to make those extreme views a reality. It seems to me that focusing on that is meaningful conversation at this point in time. 

Saying you’re going to put tariffs on a country and then not doing it isn’t a victory. 
The point wasn't tariffs, it was repercussions if those chose to ignore the problem. They decided to help, so no tariffs. 

But at a minimum, no tariffs are better than tariffs. Regardless of how we got here.

We’re in a thread devoted to Trump’s use of tariffs as a threat to pursue policies that he wants. Right now we have a President with extreme views who is attempting to make those extreme views a reality. It seems to me that focusing on that is meaningful conversation at this point in time. 
Then focus on just that, instead of making sweeping generalizations that anyone who wants stricter borders is afraid of those wanting to come to America illegally (yes, you posed it in the form of a question, but you knew what you were doing). 

This morning, in order to avoid tariffs, I will be taking unprecedented action to deploy soap on my skin, paying particular attention to give priority to my armpits.  I will also take decisive action to shave my face.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning, in order to avoid tariffs, I will be taking unprecedented action to deploy soap on my skin, paying particular attention to give priority to my armpits.  I will also take decisive action to shave my face.  
Do you have the power to impose tariffs?

Then it's a non issue.

Then focus on just that, instead of making sweeping generalizations that anyone who wants stricter borders is afraid of those wanting to come to America illegally (yes, you posed it in the form of a question, but you knew what you were doing). 
Except I never mentioned stricter borders. You did 

Trump didnt create the problem. Border crossings have been happening too long.
YOU said - "Would tariffs on Mexico have been better?"

That is a Trump created issue - period.

I am pretty sure people have been traversing that part of the earth for thousands of years...

Users who are viewing this thread