What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (2 Viewers)

This article makes it clear what Trump’s main demand is: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1370610001

He wants Mexico to designate itself an “asylum country”. The treaty we agreed to allows us to refuse asylum to any migrant who had already reached a previous “asylum country” without specific consideration- this will allow our judges at the border to basically refuse ALL asylum requests and deport them all. 

So far Mexico has refused this demand. 
It also won't work.

timschochet said:
IF Mexico were to agree to this, Trump really could stop the migrant issue- we’d simply turn all applicants away. Would that be enough of a “win” on immigration to turn the tide next year in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania? 

Unfortunately it might. 
Is that a big issue for independents in those states?

Mexico agrees to demands, tariffs suspended.  Republicans will claim victory, Democrats will claim this was all a show.   :yawn:

enjoy your weekend

We’ll have to see what the details are. If they agreed to his asylum demands it really would make a difference. If not, I suspect this is all for show. 

Martha Barcena, Mexican ambassador to Washington, tweeted late Friday that the two countries reached an agreement “to address the humanitarian crisis stemming from the recent migratory flows that have affected our two countries.” She said that Mexico will strengthen immigration enforcement and “provide job, education and health opportunities for people who wait in Mexican territory for the end of their asylum process in the U.S.”

Makes perfect sense. If Mexico is going to let the stream of immigrants just pass through, make them do their fair share with the "crisis" or pay up. Well played. 

More Winning.  :hifive:
Not really. What Trump wanted was for Mexico to offer the migrants asylum so that the US could reject them. That’s not going to happen, For Mexico to send a few troops to the their border with Guatamala is meaningless, because they’re not keeping the migrants out anyhow; the troops are going to watch them go past. For Mexico to offer programs for the migrants to stay there while their American applications are being processed is also meaningless because they’re not forcing them to stay and they likely won’t, not if jobs are available in the US. 

This is all a bunch of window dressing. Trump bluffed, was called on it, and surrendered again. None of this will have the slightest effect on the number of migrants coming in. 

Not really. What Trump wanted was for Mexico to offer the migrants asylum so that the US could reject them. That’s not going to happen, For Mexico to send a few troops to the their border with Guatamala is meaningless, because they’re not keeping the migrants out anyhow; the troops are going to watch them go past. For Mexico to offer programs for the migrants to stay there while their American applications are being processed is also meaningless because they’re not forcing them to stay and they likely won’t, not if jobs are available in the US. 

This is all a bunch of window dressing. Trump bluffed, was called on it, and surrendered again. None of this will have the slightest effect on the number of migrants coming in. 
No one’s surprised you will try to frame it this way. Same Tim thread, different day.  :lmao:

carry on. 

Link?

No one’s surprised you will try to frame it this way. Same Tim thread, different day.  :lmao:

carry on. 
The Mexican ambassador said, "provide job, education and health opportunities".  How can that not be better than the cages and separations we force on them?   :lmao: . They can't have it both ways, they can't stand seeing Trump accomplish anything.  

The Mexican ambassador said, "provide job, education and health opportunities".  How can that not be better than the cages and separations we force on them?   :lmao: . They can't have it both ways, they can't stand seeing Trump accomplish anything.  
That part is certainly better depending on the details. But you’re missing the key point. These people are still coming to the United States to seek asylum. They will not be staying in Mexico; it’s only temporary. That’s why I wrote that it was meaningless. 

This is what I’m seeing reported on the news. I’m sure there will be a written decision shortly. 

There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not Mexico will force migrants to stay there while they wait for asylum review or whether it’s purely voluntary. 

The generalities you guys accept is mind blowing.  It’s the very definition of a press release, lots of buzz words but absolutely zero specifics.  Unreal.  The same people who claim the Russian Facebook campaign couldn’t have possibly had an impact eat up this marketing fluff hook line and sinker.   

carry on. 
I like giving Trump credit when I can. I believe he deserves credit for the good economy and I started a thread about it. 

On this issue, however I could never give him credit if he succeeds at what he’s trying to do (IMO he hasn’t) because my goal is not his. I want these people to come here and be welcomed. I can’t stand the fact that they might have to spend even an extra day in Mexico. Just let them in already. 

The generalities you guys accept is mind blowing.  It’s the very definition of a press release, lots of buzz words but absolutely zero specifics.  Unreal.  The same people who claim the Russian Facebook campaign couldn’t have possibly had an impact eat up this marketing fluff hook line and sinker.   
Russia hacked the Mexican Ambassador's Twitter account?  Possible I guess.  

So Mexico can offer them jobs, education, and health opportunities while the best America can offer is cages and separation. Winning?

Not exactly the shining city on the hill. Thank you Mexico for doing what America won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: How did the Obama admin handle migrant caravans? 

I feel like trump & co created this issue when he stopped allowing certain people to claim asylum. 

That seems to be trump’s entire MO. Create a problem, “fix” said problem and claim victory. Then run off to Twitter. Then play golf. 

I like giving Trump credit when I can. I believe he deserves credit for the good economy and I started a thread about it. 

On this issue, however I could never give him credit if he succeeds at what he’s trying to do (IMO he hasn’t) because my goal is not his. I want these people to come here and be welcomed. I can’t stand the fact that they might have to spend even an extra day in Mexico. Just let them in 
Nobody is seeking your approval. 

Russia hacked the Mexican Ambassador's Twitter account?  Possible I guess.  
 A random tweet for the American press with generalities about jobs and education that will likely never be verified or followed up on so Trump can claim victory is a small price for Mexico to pay.  

A random tweet for the American press with generalities about jobs and education that will likely never be verified or followed up on so Trump can claim victory is a small price for Mexico to pay.  
I guess we will find out if "details of the agreement will be released by the state department shortly" is just part of the big con. 

I guess we will find out if "details of the agreement will be released by the state department shortly" is just part of the big con. 
Yep.  And when those get released and there is detailed actionable items in there then the Trump crowd can claim the victory.  Until then it’s just marketing.  

Yep.  And when those get released and there is detailed actionable items in there then the Trump crowd can claim the victory.  Until then it’s just marketing.  
You're hoping for an agreement without actionable items?  Oh, I see, going on defense already.  

Let's just take the Mexican Ambassador tweet at face value. Pretend it's true and included in the agreement. Big win for both Trump and the left right?  If not, why not?  

You're hoping for an agreement without actionable items?  Oh, I see, going on defense already.  
Nice try. Not even close.  I hope a great deal is struck.  I’m an American and prefer if our President makes good deals despite my dislike for him.  I know it sounds crazy to want details of something prior to making a claim of victory or failure.  And with the king of “big and beautiful deal in 2 weeks” in charge I will remain skeptical until I see those details.  

Nice try. Not even close.  I hope a great deal is struck.  I’m an American and prefer if our President make good deals despite my dislike for him.  I know it sounds crazy to want details of something prior to making a claiming victory or failure.  And with the king of “big and beautiful deal in 2 weeks” in charge I will remain skeptical until I see those details.  
Plus didn’t he already make a deal with Mexico...did it ever actually get ratified?

What did we give up here for Mexico to do what they did ?  How many actually choose to stay in Mexico while awaiting asylum?  Details again that make a difference.

Let's just take the Mexican Ambassador tweet at face value. Pretend it's true and included in the agreement. Big win for both Trump and the left right?  If not, why not?  
If a deal was struck that will actually impact the issue with any reasonable level of success then yes it’s absolutely a win for Trump.  I have zero issue giving credit where credit’s due.   

?  Not sure what you’re going for here.  

A great deal struck is a win for everyone obviously, but clearly a win on Trump Presidency score card.  
Just getting someone on record that this would, should be seen as a good deal from the left. 

Plus didn’t he already make a deal with Mexico...did it ever actually get ratified?

What did we give up here for Mexico to do what they did ?  How many actually choose to stay in Mexico while awaiting asylum?  Details again that make a difference.
CUSMA

What did we give up?  lol

Just getting someone on record that this would, should be seen as a good deal from the left. 
No not really. Keeping these people in Mexico, even for a short period of time, is not something I would think anyone on the left would like. Personally I hate it. Again I ask, why not just let them in? Why are we so afraid of these people? 

No not really. Keeping these people in Mexico, even for a short period of time, is not something I would think anyone on the left would like. Personally I hate it. Again I ask, why not just let them in? Why are we so afraid of these people? 
Bad hombres iirc

This is funny...

Maxine Waters is praised as correctly predicting that President Trump would back off from imposing tariffs on Mexico...

“Bet you bottom dollar, Trump will back off by the weekend, Just another bluff?”

She did however, fail to mention that he would back off after Mexico capitulated.   :lol:

But hey...take 'em when you can get 'em.

You do realize that just because some want stronger borders does not mean that they are afraid of those people who want to enter the country, right?  

Users who are viewing this thread