What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 100 Players of 2018 (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Well, seeing as how the draft is here, the NFL's annual countdown of the top 100 players in the league will start on Monday, April 30th with the 1st 20 names revealed.  I'm going to go ahead and say it: #1 will be Tom Brady.

Here are the first 20 names on the Top 100 Players of 2018:

100. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Packers S)

99. Doug Baldwin (Seahawks WR)

98. C.J. Mosley (Ravens LB)

97. Carlos Hyde (Browns RB)

96. Malcolm Jenkins (Eagles S)

95. Lane Johnson (Eagles OT)

94. Kirk Cousins (Vikings QB)

93. Mike Daniels (Packers DT)

92. Landon Collins (Giants S)

91. David Bakhtiari (Packers OT)

90. Jimmy Garoppolo (49ers QB)

89. Jimmy Graham (Packers TE)

88. Yannick Ngakoue (Jaguars DE)

87. Andrew Whitworth (Rams OT)

86. Chris Harris Jr. (Broncos CB)

85. Bruce Irvin (Raiders LB)

84. J.J. Watt (Texans DE)

83. Linval Joseph (Vikings DT)

82. Marshon Lattimore (Saints CB)

81. Michael Thomas (Saints WR)

The thing that sticks out to me is the fact that J.J. Watt was ranked #84 on the list.  Does anyone agree with the first 20 names so far?  And who do you believe will fall in the #71-#80 range?

I just saw a thing on NFL Network that said a player who was once on the cover of Madden will be revealed along with a player who's played only six years in the league.  I think the former Madden cover guy that will be revealed is Richard Sherman.  The guy that's played only six years in the league who will be revealed is probably Melvin Ingram.  What does everyone else think?

Here's the updated list:

80. Kevin Byard (Titans S)

79. Marcus Peters (Rams CB)

78. Taylor Lewan (Titans OT)

77. Odell Beckham Jr. (Giants WR)

76. Melvin Ingram (Chargers DE)

75. Kam Chancellor (Seahawks S)

74. Cameron Wake (Dolphins DE)

73. Thomas Davis (Panthers LB)

72. Delanie Walker (Titans TE)

71. Zack Martin (Cowboys OG)

The thing that sticks out to me is obviously OBJ's ranking at #77.  Does everyone agree with where he's at?

I also saw something on NFL Network that a couple of guys from the world champion Eagles will be revealed.  I can guarantee one of them WILL NOT be Carson Wentz, because he should be Top 10.  Who do you expect to be in the #61-#70 range?

Here's the updated list:

70. Devonta Freeman (Falcons RB)

69. Fletcher Cox (Eagles DT)

68. Zach Ertz (Eagles TE)

67. Telvin Smith (Jaguars RB)

66. Jurrell Casey (Titans DT)

65. Stefon Diggs (Vikings WR)

64. Richard Sherman (49ers CB)

63. Geno Atkins (Bengals DT)

62. Micah Hyde (Bills CB)

61. Ndamukong Suh (Rams DT)

There are two names that stick out to me: Richard Sherman & Ndamukong Suh.  I know what everyone is going to say: Micah Hyde is actually a safety.  Well, when I was watching his name get revealed, they listed his as a cornerback.  So, that's what I have him listed as.

I saw something on NFL Network which said a couple of young veterans will be revealed on the next edition.  This could mean anybody.  They didn't make it clear cut.  Who do you think will fall in the #51-#60 range?

I know there's some espies thing that desperately wants to be the academy awards of sports, but this annual list really is more like the academy awards for sports. And no, that's not a compliment. It's like pro-bowl voting, only less legitimate.

I just saw something on NFL Network that said a quarterback from the AFC West will be revealed on the next edition of the Top 100.  This means it could be either Derek Carr or Philip Rivers.  Most likely, it's Philip Rivers.

I know there's some espies thing that desperately wants to be the academy awards of sports, but this annual list really is more like the academy awards for sports. And no, that's not a compliment. It's like pro-bowl voting, only less legitimate.
The fans have no input here, right? That alone makes it more legitimate than pro-bowl voting.

The fans have no input here, right? That alone makes it more legitimate than pro-bowl voting.
I guess, unless you believe the "wisdom of crowds" is a real thing. It's pretty tough to see the results(over the years not just now) and argue it's better than just about anything else.

The only thing that I can say positive in any way is it's extremely well timed. If it were at any other time during the NFL year nobody would care even nearly as much as I do. You could release a book of Jim McMahon poetry at this time of year and it would float as NFL news content.

I guess, unless you believe the "wisdom of crowds" is a real thing. It's pretty tough to see the results(over the years not just now) and argue it's better than just about anything else.

The only thing that I can say positive in any way is it's extremely well timed. If it were at any other time during the NFL year nobody would care even nearly as much as I do. You could release a book of Jim McMahon poetry at this time of year and it would float as NFL news content.
It’s the top 100 players according to the players themselves. I don’t think anyone is presenting it as anything more than that. Although the players certainly have more insight than most of us, it’s just for fun. It has zero bearing on anything.

I thought this was interesting the first year but then I just found it pretty much boring and useless. It seems like some are voting on the past season, some are voting on the future and this really isn't all that meaningful. I watch a lot of NFLN and I also think that between them trying to tease the upcoming players and Yogi here saying "I just saw something...." every few days that it's overkill for something that is meaningless. Have a 2 hour show once and list them all, done.

This list is also found on Wikipedia.  It's been around since 2011.  And every year, the player listed at #1 has almost always been the MVP from the previous season.  The only two times that didn't happen was in 2015 when Aaron Rodgers was ranked #2 behind J.J. Watt, and last year in 2017, when Matt Ryan was ranked #10 and Tom Brady ended up being ranked #1.  I usually like to guess what names will be revealed for the next show.  I've only been a member of this forum since 2016, but this countdown has been around since 2011.  Ironically, it premiered one year after the countdown of NFL Network's countdown of the "The Top 100: NFL's Greatest Players".  I don't know how many of you go to Wikipedia, but if you type in "NFL Top 100", it will take you to a link to all the previous lists that have been around since 2011.  This is the first paragraph that people will see when they go to Wikipedia and type in "NFL Top 100":

The NFL Top 100 is an annual list that features the top one hundred players in the National Football League (NFL), as chosen by fellow NFL players. The rankings are based on an off-season poll organized by the NFL, whereby players vote on their peers based on their projected performance for the next NFL season. Only players that will be active in the next season are eligible for consideration.[1] In the seven-year history of the countdown, only Tom Brady has been voted No. 1 multiple times (2011, 2017).

I just find this list fascinating because I'm always interested to see how NFL players do well among their peers.  I remember when Aaron Hernandez made an appearance at #77 in 2013, and he ended up not even playing the 2013 season.

For what it's worth, I have to correct myself for what I saw on the preview for this week's show: They said that two of the league's most exciting young BACKS (as in running backs) will be revealed.  Maybe Leonard Fournette, but I don't know.

Anyway, I just thought I'd explain to everyone why I keep everyone posted on the countdown, just in case people don't have time to go to Wikipedia or if they don't feel the need to go to Wikipedia.

Here's the updated list:

67. Telvin Smith (Jaguars LB)

62. Micah Hyde (Bills S)

60. Derek Carr (Raiders QB)

59. Casey Hayward (Chargers CB)

58. Leonard Fournette (Jaguars RB)

57. Trent Williams (Redskins OT)

56. Philip Rivers (Chargers QB)

55. Xavier Rhodes (Vikings CB)

54. Ezekiel Elliott (Cowboys RB)

53. Aqib Talib (Rams CB)

52. Jarvis Landry (Browns WR)

51. Case Keenum (Broncos QB)

The thing that sticks out to me besides three quarterbacks from the AFC West being in the #51-#60 range is the fact that Ezekiel Elliott ended up #54 after being ranked #7 last year.  Yes, I know he missed 6 games due to suspension, but I didn't think he would make the list.

Who do you think will fall in the #50-#41 range?

I just saw something on NFL Network that said a rookie from last year will make an appearance on this week's countdown.  More than likely, it's Kareem Hunt.

Here's the updated list:

62. Micah Hyde (Bills S)

57.Trent Williams (Redskins OT)

53. Aqib Talib (Rams CB)

50. Deshaun Watson (Texans QB)

49. Darius Slay (Lions CB)

48. Cameron Heyward (Steelers DE)

47. Ryan Shazier (Steelers LB)

46. Harrison Smith (Vikings S)

45. Davante Adams (Packers WR)

44. David DeCastro (Steelers OG)

43. Mark Ingram Jr. (Saints RB)

42. Earl Thomas (Seahawks S)

41. Keenan Allen (Chargers WR)

Well, I find it very surprisring (and, at the same time, inspiring) that the players voted Ryan Shazier onto the list.  He most likely won't play in 2018, but the fact that he's on the list makes him an early favorite for Comeback Player of the Year in 2019.  Another thing that surprises me is that Mark Ingram Jr. is on the list, even though he won't play in the first four games of the season.  Who do you believe will fall into the #40-#31 range?

I just saw something on NFL Network that maybe one or two rookies from last year will be revealed on the next episode.  They also said that a big-time pass rusher will make his 'Top 100' debut.  I'm thinking DeMarcus Lawrence.

Here's the updated list:

62. Micah Hyde (Bills S)

53. Aqib Talib (Rams CB)

40. Tyreek Hill (Chiefs WR)

39. Tyron Smith (Cowboys OT)

38. Jared Goff (Rams QB)

37. Joey Bosa (Chargers DE)

36. Adam Thielen (Vikings WR)

35. A.J. Bouye (Jaguars CB)

34. DeMarcus Lawrence (Cowboys DE)

33. Kareem Hunt (Chiefs RB)

32. Jadeveon Clowney (Texans DE)

31. Matthew Stafford (Lions QB)

They did mention that Tyron Smith is the highest-ranked offensive linemen on the list.  They also said that there's only one rookie from last year to be revealed.  Well, due to the fact that Kareem Hunt was revealed this week, that means that the highest-ranked rookie from last year is Alvin Kamara.  I also expect to see Jalen Ramsey's name revealed soon due to the fact that A.J. Bouye was revealed this week as well.  Who do you think will fall in the range from #30-#21?

I just saw something on NFL Network that said a player who was formerly ranked #1 will be revealed.  That means it'll either be Cam Newton or Aaron Rodgers.  They also said that at least one or two guys from the Cardinals will be revealed.  The Cardinals are one of six teams who haven't been represented yet on this year's countdown.  Another team that hasn't had a player represented yet is the Patriots, but that should change maybe next week.  The other four teams who haven't had a representative yet this year are the Bears, Buccaneers, Colts, and Jets.  Does anybody expect any of those four teams to have a player on this year's countdown?

Well, seeing as how there are no more offensive linemen to be revealed on this year's countdown, I thought I might throw out my guesses on who the final 30 guys on this year's list might be:

Tom Brady

LeSean McCoy

Rob Gronkowski

Carson Wentz

Cam Newton

Luke Kuechly

Drew Brees

Alvin Kamara

Todd Gurley

Aaron Donald

Von Miller

Khalil Mack

Aaron Rodgers

Ben Roethlisberger

Le'Veon Bell

Antonio Brown

Matt Ryan

Julio Jones

Russell Wilson

Jalen Ramsey

Calais Campbell

DeAndre Hopkins

Patrick Peterson

Chandler Jones

Travis Kelce

Bobby Wagner

Larry Fitzgerald

A.J. Green

Melvin Gordon

Dak Prescott

So far, there are 6 teams who haven't had a player revealed yet.  The Cardinals and the Patriots are definitely going to have someone revealed maybe sometime this week.  I don't think the Bears or the Jets are going to have a player on the list.  That means either the Buccaneers or the Colts are going to have a player on the list assuming Dak Prescott doesn't make the list.  I think T.Y. Hilton is another guy that has a chance to make the list.  I keep hearing the name Mike Evans, but does anyone believe he has a better chance of making the list than T.Y. Hilton?

So far, there are 6 teams who haven't had a player revealed yet.  The Cardinals and the Patriots are definitely going to have someone revealed maybe sometime this week.  I don't think the Bears or the Jets are going to have a player on the list.  That means either the Buccaneers or the Colts are going to have a player on the list assuming Dak Prescott doesn't make the list.  I think T.Y. Hilton is another guy that has a chance to make the list.  I keep hearing the name Mike Evans, but does anyone believe he has a better chance of making the list than T.Y. Hilton?
Regardless- there is no way that there are 100 players in the NFL better than Mike Evans.  If fellow NFL players leave him out- they truly do need their heads examined.

I'd rather take T.Y. Hilton over Mike Evans due to the fact that he was selected as an alternate for the Pro Bowl, and Mike Evans wasn't even selected to the Pro Bowl at all.  I was just looking at the guys who were selected to the Pro Bowl (whether they were voted in or selected as alternates), and that's why I think T.Y. Hilton deserves to make the list more than Mike Evans.

Another name that could be revealed is David Johnson.  But, I don't expect him to come up due to the fact that he played only one game last year.

Yogibear said:
I'd rather take T.Y. Hilton over Mike Evans due to the fact that he was selected as an alternate for the Pro Bowl, and Mike Evans wasn't even selected to the Pro Bowl at all.  I was just looking at the guys who were selected to the Pro Bowl (whether they were voted in or selected as alternates), and that's why I think T.Y. Hilton deserves to make the list more than Mike Evans.
Hilton shouldn't have made it. (Hill was better)

jvdesigns2002 said:
Regardless- there is no way that there are 100 players in the NFL better than Mike Evans.  If fellow NFL players leave him out- they truly do need their heads examined.
There were at least 20 WRs that played better and had better seasons than Evans last year.

There were at least 20 WRs that played better and had better seasons than Evans last year.
What he did last season was irrelevant--the list is based on nfl players projecting what a player will do next season. Over his four year career--he's averaged approximately 1150yards, 8tds per year--and that includes his down year last year.   If that as a career average is not good enough for his peers to vote him in the top 100 players for an upcoming season--I don't know what is.  

What do people think of this list compared to the PFF top 50 list?

If you haven't seen it just search for it on YouTube. 

I'm not the slave to PFF rankings that some people are(I do like much of their discussion/content though), but I am curious to hear if people think the players or PFF did a better job and why.

What he did last season was irrelevant--the list is based on nfl players projecting what a player will do next season. Over his four year career--he's averaged approximately 1150yards, 8tds per year--and that includes his down year last year.   If that as a career average is not good enough for his peers to vote him in the top 100 players for an upcoming season--I don't know what is.  
Really? They think Ryan Shazier will be this 47th best player this season? While it is the top 100 for 2018, it's very much based on previous season performance. Hence no Greg Olsen and a Jimmy G not being ranked in the top 5 (kidding). I was a huge Evans supporter out of college. I am had him ranked ahead of Sammy as the top WR in the class and as one the highest rated WRs I've ever looked at. However, he has disappointed in the NFL. Not in terms of raw stats. He's been productive. However, he is really inefficient. Like so inefficient I question how good he really is. 

Saquon Barkley didn't make the list due to the fact that he was still in college last year.
Right, there was just a discussion over Evans not making the list. I said it was because he had a bad 2017. Another poster said that didn't matter because the list is about what the players will do in 2018. It's really not though, it's a ranking based on 2017 NFL performance. 

Here's the updated list:

62. Micah Hyde (Bills S)

53. Aqib Talib (Rams CB)

40. Tyreek Hill (Chiefs WR)

39. Tyron Smith (Cowboys OT)

38. Jared Goff (Rams QB)

37. Joey Bosa (Chargers DE)

36. Adam Thielen (Vikings WR)

35. A.J. Bouye (Jaguars CB)

34. DeMarcus Lawrence (Cowboys DE)

33. Kareem Hunt (Chiefs RB)

32. Jadeveon Clowney (Texans DE)

31. Matthew Stafford (Lions QB)

30. LeSean McCoy (Bills RB)

29. Matt Ryan (Falcons QB)

28. Chandler Jones (Cardinals DE)

27. Larry Fitzgerald (Cardinals WR)

26. Cameron Jordan (Saints DE)

25. Cam Newton (Panthers QB)

24. Travis Kelce (Chiefs TE)

23. Patrick Peterson (Cardinals CB)

22. A.J. Green (Bengals WR)

21. Bobby Wagner (Seahawks LB)

OK, so we all forgot about Cameron Jordan and the year he had last year.  Another thing that sticks out is the fact that three Cardinals made the list in the #21-#30 range.  Who do you believe will fall in the #20-#11 range?

After much consideration, these are who I think the remaining 20 players on the list will be:

Tom Brady

Rob Gronkowski

Carson Wentz

Aaron Donald

Todd Gurley

Von Miller

Khalil Mack

Calais Campbell

Le'Veon Bell

Antonio Brown

Ben Roethlisberger

Russell Wilson

Julio Jones

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Jalen Ramsey

DeAndre Hopkins

Luke Kuechly

Everson Griffen

Malik Jackson

We're not giving the Jaguars credit for having the best defense in the NFL last year, and they're about to have 3 guys in the Top 20.

I totally forgot about Alvin Kamara.  He's going to be the highest rookie on the list, so the player I'll swap him with is Malik Jackson.  So, these are the 20 players that have yet to be revealed:

Tom Brady

Rob Gronkowski

Carson Wentz

Aaron Donald

Todd Gurley

Von Miller

Khalil Mack

Calais Campbell

Le'Veon Bell

Antonio Brown

Ben Roethlisberger

Russell Wilson

Julio Jones

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Jalen Ramsey

DeAndre Hopkins

Luke Kuechly

Everson Griffen

Alvin Kamara

The guy I'm really not sure about at this point is Everson Griffen.  Does anybody really think he's a Top 20 player right now?

I just remembered Everson Griffen had 13 sacks last year and was voted to be a starter in the Pro Bowl so he should definitely be Top 20.  How would everyone rate the remaining 20 players that have yet to be revealed?

Users who are viewing this thread